• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

That's what I thought last year, and then we got Nintendoland fireworks...

Meanwhile, the most exciting reveal they had, TW101, got attention only in a side interview. Nintendo should have put the PG relationship front and center.
They really should!

I feel that it's almost an even trade in terms of luckiness here. They're both lucky to have this tight relationship and Iwata needs to get them on one of their withered IPs already.
Sony tried that last generation. They learned their lesson. Microsoft mistakenly believes they can make it work.

"When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact. - Warren Buffett"
We'll see how it turns out. I'm not expecting a good outcome for them either.

Dahbomb

Permabans going out to insiders right now.

Times like this I'm glad I'm on GAF. Pandemonium on gaming side right now. Meltdowns everywhere, people getting banned for stirring up shit before.
Good shit, justice being served. Nothing worse than fake "insiders" trying to hype up shit.

Too bad we didn't have this type of justice during Team CG fiasco. Everyone of those suckers deserved a week worth of ban for continuing the charade.

Beckx

They really should!

I feel that it's almost an even trade in terms of luckiness here. They're both lucky to have this tight relationship and Iwata needs to get them on one of their withered IPs already.

I mean, I know everyone says it at this point, but could you imagine Platinum Star Fox? My god.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There isn't anyone in here arguing for that. Who are you guys responding to?

I want PC versions of the game released same day as the console versions.

Also, I find you argument against companies releasing fighting games on the PC because people are not buying fighters on the PC poor, Enzo. Capcom pretty much always releases the game several months afterwards and always gets something wrong whether it's GFWL integration or no updates to SFxT.

Of course it's going sell less. Some people would rather play the game sooner than later. And then not everyone likes the games enough to double dip. As for the SFxT version; no wants to pay money for an inferior version. And then there are some people who are staunchly, "no steam, no buy."

Capcom always whines about it's poor performance on PC, but they fucking do it to themselves.
It's been discussed recurring in these threads. Wasn't DmC near simultaneous and it still didn't reach close to 200k? That game didn't do gangbusters total, but it was probably their best PC effort yet considering how well it was optimized (it even runs on my shitty PC).

PC as a market isn't as great for everything as everyone makes it out to be. With the advent of Steam you have people's perception of game value changing. An indie game they may be on the fence about at $5, they're now on the fence about at $1 despite having interest. It's not the primary market for fighters because of the arcade where the genre originated and because of where it has always been. For small publishers, I don't even think PC is an option, way too much dev work for ultimately not that many sales and probably revenue.

I honestly don't think if everything is Steamworks from now on and is released day and date with the console versions you will see a significant difference. More sales, but not a significant difference. Even around GAF, PC elitists just lurk console threads port begging, and they get excited when the ports actually do come because they know it will look better and most likely perform better than the stock console offering at it's best. It will never do as well as Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo versions and I think they're all aware of those diminishing returns and that's also why you don't see publishers jumping for joy on PC ports.

Maybe next gen consoles will help fighting games get ported a bit, but I still don't think we'll ever see PC ports as a standard thing for fighting games. If the biggest of publishers see small, unreliable profit margins in the PC market still, and they're only getting around to it now, I don't think it's going to become an imminent thing for fighting games anytime soon.

PCs still bsod? Haven't had one in the last five years.
My PC hasn't BSoD'd in over a decade. Windows 8's looks pretty cool though.

How demanding are the fighters spec wise on pc?
My $400 laptop from last year can run AE 2012 just fine at 60FPS with a bit of AA on low settings. Skullgirls will scream on this thing. I'd say that is pretty much the case for all other fighting games, especially the 2D ones.
I mean, I know everyone says it at this point, but could you imagine Platinum Star Fox? My god.
The first time I'd truly enjoy face to face action on the ground just as much as the vehicle sections in a Star Fox game.

Scary good potential

Nintendo definitely knows now lol. I'm saying that before the product hits the market they are just plain clueless. Microsoft knows what they want and it's more than just games. They want to be the one stop shop whether you are going to watch a movie, television show or listen to music. They're willing to release a shitty game box if it means that they become to the entertainment center of the modern world.

I think the only difference between today's MS and last gen's Sony is that MS knows the pitfalls of their approach. They're not going to let themselves become the new launch PS3 case.

The problem is that plenty of cheap and very capable media boxes have been released and none have "taken over" the media world. Not having to turn the input to your TV to switch from Netflix to cable is not a good enough proposition to pay $300-500 over a $80 streaming box and free cable receiver.

Shouta

PCs still bsod? Haven't had one in the last five years.

I saw one do it last week (or maybe the week before) so it still occurs. =)

Price is still a pretty annoying problem though. You could possibly build a rig that runs most FGs for a cheap price but it's still going to cost about 400-500 bucks at least. That's a problem for later in a generation when console prices actually go down and you could get them used.

There is of course, the issue of games not getting ported to PC for varying reasons as well.

DmC is an example of a game you will buy on console. Same as COD is a xbox thing. It takes time to move a support base.

PS4 makes it all pretty academic, but PC tournaments = PC sponsors and money too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DmC is an example of a game you will buy on console. Same as COD is a xbox thing. It takes time to move a support base.

PS4 makes it all pretty academic, but PC tournaments = PC sponsors and money too.
Fighting games are an even better example of a game you buy on console. CoD is kinda an Xbox phenomenon but the genre was born and still thrives on the PC. Even old CoD games have crazy amounts of activity still.

Also the genre needs standardized hardware and optimization WAY more than it needs some PC sponsors, or sponsors at all.

Dahbomb

Fighters aren't demanding on PCs at all. The main barrier for entry in terms of PCs being used for FG tournaments is plugging in your controller/stick to play on the spot. A lot of not so common controllers take awhile to set up in auxiliary menus. Button checks would be cumbersome on PC. It works for games like LoL/SC2 because they use KB/M standard.

Fighting games are an even better example of a game you buy on console. CoD is kinda an Xbox phenomenon but the genre was born and still thrives on the PC. Even old CoD games have crazy amounts of activity still.

Also the genre needs standardized hardware and optimization WAY more than it needs some PC sponsors, or sponsors at all.

That is kind of what I mean. Shooters were a joke on console with pads, but now it is all the rage.

Fighters could move but why really bother at this point for a dev? It would take some random game hitting it big on pc... But that seems unlikely.

Even if they did, steam isn't exactly going to help

Good shit, justice being served. Nothing worse than fake "insiders" trying to hype up shit.

Too bad we didn't have this type of justice during Team CG fiasco. Everyone of those suckers deserved a week worth of ban for continuing the charade.

But it's impossible for eyelids to move like that

xCobalt

The only way PC tournaments will work is if all or most fighting games are available on PC. Just having capcom alone won't be enough.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Its all over. Always online is real.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561013

RIP MS.
l2XG1nu.jpg

Welp that's that

OceanBlue

Its all over. Always online is real.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561013

RIP MS.

BTW guys, be careful with what you post, mods are less lenient right now and will ban on a whim. I'm scared of posting for the rest of the day in fear of what this will turn into. I just want to make sure no one here gets banned.

At least, if Microsoft decides to lift this restriction when they release the next next Xbox, people can make "YOU ARE ALL FREE NOW" jokes.

Dahbomb

Always online is not a big deal, its online required to play games that is.

On the topic of DmC on PC... yes its the best version of the game and a greatly optimized port. Problem is that DmC games are not PC centric games. That is to say they are a bit cumbersome to play on KB. I have played and beaten DmC on PC with all SSS rank on DMD using KB but I always wished I was playing on the controller, its just way more natural. Also the majority of the people who play and buy DMC games are mostly console gamers. And finally, DmC on PC was not released simultaneously with console versions it was released a week after at least.

I think DmC will do well on Steam in the long run after some big sales. Too bad Capcom very rarely puts up sales for their games. Its very good metacritic score that Steam plasters in front of all games will ensure trickling long term sales. And besides Capcom already said that the game sold "solid"....lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Always online is not a big deal, its online required to play games that is.

On the topic of DmC on PC... yes its the best version of the game and a greatly optimized port. Problem is that DmC games are not PC centric games. That is to say they are a bit cumbersome to play on KB. I have played and beaten DmC on PC with all SSS rank on DMD using KB but I always wished I was playing on the controller, its just way more natural. Also the majority of the people who play and buy DMC games are mostly console gamers. And finally, DmC on PC was not released simultaneously with console versions it was released a week after at least.

I think DmC will do well on Steam in the long run after some big sales. Too bad Capcom very rarely puts up sales for their games. Its very good metacritic score that Steam plasters in front of all games will ensure trickling long term sales. And besides Capcom already said that the game sold "solid"....lol
Always online DRM is a bad idea flat out.

People have just been using "always online" to describe everything in the past half year and it's been dumb. Always connected is a better word for the functionality the Wii and PS4 have (and presumably the Wii U?).

I was presenting my final project today in school all day. What happened?
-Always online required.
-Used games blocked; you have to pay a full-game price fee to play on another system.
-Presentation showed 4 sports games, a driving simulator, and Call of Duty.
-Box looks extremely ugly.
-Improved controller.
-Kinect required.
-Presentation focused on new Kinect features (TV interactivity, voice commands).
-The equivalent of "tabs" available on the system (one for gaming, one for IE, etc.).
-Specs were upped to 8GB DDR3 RAM.
-Lots of timed exclusive DLC content for CoD and EA games.
-Applause track was used frequently throughout the presentation.

What am I forgetting?

OceanBlue

Sucks for tournaments if they do use XB1. Maybe an easy solution is to use Wi-fi tethering with a phone and carry it through the venue at the end of a day, putting each XB1 online once a day.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
-Always online required.
-Used games blocked; you have to pay a full-game price fee to play on another system.
-Improved controller.
-Kinect required.
-Presentation focused on new Kinect features (TV interactivity, voice commands).
-The equivalent of "tabs" available on the system (one for gaming, one for IE, etc.).

What am I forgetting?
3GB reserved for the 3 OS, need to be online once every 24h

#PIU

Dahbomb

LOL I just noticed Enzo has no avatar!

Dat shame!

Also I don't think the specs were upped for the RAM it was always rumored to be 8GB DDR3..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
-Always online required.
-Improved controller.
-Kinect required.

What am I forgetting?
- NFL partnership
- TV is cool you should watch TV
- 15 exclusives over 12 months, 8 new IPs

LOL I just noticed Enzo has no avatar!

Dat shame!
I'm not ashamed, just disappointed. The dream is dead. There is no PGR5 and I have to hold this L deepest.

Infinite

-Always online required.

-Improved controller.
-Kinect required.

What am I forgetting?

Yikes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's with the 3 OS anyway? That seems odd.
3 "panes" that can render content individually. Probably what enables them to use W8 snap.

PS4 has two "panes" IIRC but they don't describe them as OSs. I think it's functionally similar though, and the third pane in the Xbox One is just one that switches between the other two.

Top Bottom