• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

That "false sprite" look is a game changer.

Not really.

The people who don't like the look of SF4 are the minority, most people couldn't care less.

If SNK is only now hiring the 3D artists for their next KoF, I doubt they have the same R&D time going into the style that ASW had when they were ready to announce Xrd. Obviously NRS won't bother stylizing their graphics anytime soon.

This only affects GG, possibly BB, and other things going forward from ASW.

Obviously GGXrd will be the best looking fighting game ever, but other games that don't choose to follow their lead in having an appealing style will still sell more, and perhaps a majority like the ugly styles we get from Cap/NRS more than classic sprites or an imitation of them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is interesting in retrospect (NOTE THE DATE, this is not news):
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa
This is the most tinfoil hat of tinfoil hat stuff. Anyone seriously thinking they'd implement this and getting away with it is crazy and being deceived by the sensationalist article title. Should not even be entertained as a possibility because it's so implausible unless your government wants to throw away your rights too. At most, for a customer experience improvement program that's an opt-in. Even then it wouldn't be "always watching" or "always listening" because the amount of imparseable data for that would be ridiculous. Who would watch that? Does technology exist to decipher your habits or something and what exactly your doing? Highly doubt we have AI that smart.

Not to mention the whole technology patent scene is a joke and mostly full of stuff you better patent before the other person does first. In an earlier thread, someone pointed out a similar patent Sony held. They all mean nothing.

This is the most tinfoil hat of tinfoil hat stuff. Anyone seriously thinking they'd implement this and getting away with it is crazy and being deceived by the sensationalist article title. Should not even be entertained as a possibility because it's so implausible unless your government wants to throw away your rights too. At most, for a customer experience improvement program that's an opt-in.

Not to mention the whole technology patent scene is a joke and mostly full of stuff you better patent before the other person does first. In an earlier thread, someone pointed out a similar patent Sony held. They all mean nothing.
Except Microsoft patented it. It's not any more tinfoil hat than the previous fears that Sony would interrupt gameplay with interactive commercials. Patents mean a lot, not "nothing". At they very least, they demonstrate the kind of thing the company wishes it could get away with.

If you would have told me 10 years ago that Microsoft would block used game sales and require an internet connection to play their games, I would have called it tinfoil hat stuff, too. Things really do change over time, and it's ironic that you would appeal to our "rights" when we're talking about a system that's taking consumer rights away.

Except Microsoft patented it. It's not any more tinfoil hat than the previous fears that Sony would interrupt gameplay with interactive commercials. Patents mean a lot, not "nothing". At they very least, they demonstrate the kind of thing the company wishes it could get away with.

If you would have told me 10 years ago that Microsoft would block used game sales and require an internet connection to play their games, I would have called it tinfoil hat stuff, too. Things really do change over time, and it's ironic that you would appeal to our "rights" when we're talking about a system that's taking consumer rights away.

Microsoft has done some pretty messed up shit in their time so nothing surprises me. People need to remember they are not a video game company after all and never will be.

kirblar

Not really.

The people who don't like the look of SF4 are the minority, most people couldn't care less.

If SNK is only now hiring the 3D artists for their next KoF, I doubt they have the same R&D time going into the style that ASW had when they were ready to announce Xrd. Obviously NRS won't bother stylizing their graphics anytime soon.

This only affects GG, possibly BB, and other things going forward from ASW.

Obviously GGXrd will be the best looking fighting game ever, but other games that don't choose to follow their lead in having an appealing style will still sell more, and perhaps a majority like the ugly styles we get from Cap/NRS more than classic sprites or an imitation of them.
It's not so much about the "sprite vs 3d" look thing- both have their merits, but it means that relying on hand-drawn animation may be a complete thing of the past soon. They were already using 3D models before they converted to sprites, but they may no longer need to even do that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Patents mean hey we hold the rights to this, doesn't really say much for intent at all. You see tons of companies patent stuff that is useless to them just so that in case someone else wants to use it or something similar they can send their patent trolls after them. There is no causation for personal intent in getting a patent, this should be even more clear from the patent wars recently between telecom big wigs. Some of this stuff is nowhere close to being ethically implemented, and even if there is intent, theres no way you this would get by.

Blocking used games and always online is much more believable to me than a company spying on you and getting away with it, or even doing so without considering the legal repercussions beforehand. Used games fuck over publishers, that will of course go away some day, that I have no doubt about. Always online is something I thought about too, though in a more MMO context.

Check my edit too. It's data that's probably imparseable as well for anything you'd care about them knowing. Unless walking left or right away from the couch is very private. Suggesting that they would do this without an opt-in is just crazy IMO.

Microsoft has done some pretty messed up shit in their time so nothing surprises me. People need to remember they are not a video game company after all and never will be.
Your right, there's a software company, that also do gaming software. Also, they did gaming things before Xbox, which were mostly pretty awesome.

Beckx

Well, they did issue a statement that even though kinect 2 is watching/listening and can stream back to MS or developers, they have privacy protections in place to protect you.

Yeah, no thanks.

Dahbomb

There is no way no used game, online DRMs and on disc DLC should be allowed based on protection of customer rights yet here we are in the year 2013. Like Karst said if someone told me this stuff a decade ago I would've called people out on that nonsense.

I don't know what Microsoft has to gain from that patent but just looking at their Kinect stuff they have a very weird understanding of the word "privacy". A device that is advertised as "always listening" is not something that I would consider taking privacy as its top prioriyy.

Patents mean hey we hold the rights to this, doesn't really say much for intent at all. You see tons of companies patent stuff that is useless to them just so that in case someone else wants to use it or something similar they can send their patent trolls after them. There is no causation for personal intent in getting a patent, this should be even more clear from the patent wars recently between telecom big wigs. Some of this stuff is nowhere close to being ethically implemented, and even if there is intent, theres no way you this would get by.
Patents take effort. If a company patents something, it means that they're interested in the idea. You don't spend research money, even legal research money, on something you are completely uninterested in. It's the equivalent of telling your girlfriend that you just like to have a lot of other girls' phone numbers on hand, and she shouldn't be worried. Maybe you'll never call them, but why did you go through the trouble to put them into your phone?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Microsoft hears the FGC's cries for the Xbox to be EVO-compatible, starts backtracking.

Patents take effort. If a company patents something, it means that they're interested in the idea. You don't spend research money, even legal research money, on something you are completely uninterested in. It's the equivalent of telling your girlfriend that you just like to have a lot of other girls' phone numbers on hand, and she shouldn't be worried. Maybe you'll never call them, but why did you go through the trouble to put them into your phone?
Oh I'm sure they're interested in it, of course they consider and research every option and new piece of technology. They have to, because if you don't analyze it, your competitors will and it could be valuable. Think your competitors could employ it or components of it? Patent. Happens everywhere in technology. Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, have entire subdivisions just dedicated to patent trolling. This is a real thing, and it is really stupid, but it does happen. I think Google or Apple or one of them created a separate side company just to seek out patents of theirs that other companies violate.

Don't get the girlfriend analogy, but she shouldn't be that insecure that you know other girls if the relationship is a comfortable one for both of you.

9:56 gaf_professorbeef: No matter how you see me rage against him I love Triforce and just like my avatar that's how I hold his card.

I always knew Beef was a closet fan. :)

vf5 on sale on psn for $5. ot seemed dead or i couldn't find it, so i'll ask here instead. how's the online for this game? still active? prolly will buy anyways because $5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This isn't backtracking this is spinning. You are veering dangerously close to fanboy territory... either that or you are incapable of deciphering PR language.
How is that not backtracking when they go from "yes you need to pay for the full game" to "it's tentative"?

Sounds like backtracking to me, and it is PR. This is not a good thing, by the way, so I don't know why the fanboy label is back. It's just more evidence of Microsoft's bravado.

Dahbomb

How is that not backtracking when they go from "yes you need to pay for the full game" to "it's tentative"?

Sounds like backtracking to me, and it is PR. This is not a good thing, by the way, so I don't know why the fanboy label is back. It's just more evidence of Microsoft's bravado.
Its spinning. Backtracking would be saying "no that was wrong what we said before, what we actually meant was that you ARE allowed to play your games at your friends house for free".

They are trying to PR their way out of this by throwing words like "potential scenario" and "tentative" but brace yourself... there will be DRM and it will be ugly for consumers. There is no way EA would've gotten in bed with M$ if they weren't promised some draconian measures.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Its spinning. Backtracking would be saying "no that was wrong what we said before, what we actually meant was that you ARE allowed to play your games at your friends house for free".

They are trying to PR their way out of this by throwing words like "potential scenario" and "tentative" but brace yourself... there will be DRM and it will be ugly for consumers. There is no way EA would've gotten in bed with M$ if they weren't promised some draconian measures.
Spinning would be taking something that's existing and not changing it, but making it sound as if it's a positive instead of a negative. They're not doing that. It's not that either.

Backing into a grey area to allow them to adjust their future plan is what they're doing, even if that's just what they're saying, call it what you want but it's closer to backtracking. Doesn't mean they will necessarily change (again, iron philosophies and all), but they've enabled themselves the option, to try and downplay the backlash right now and allow them to release specifics later when it's calmer. They're using this to dampen the reaction, whether they change it or not. I agree about the EA bit though, and methinks thats why they fell out with Nintendo. They'll probably enforce whatever they're doing on the PS4 too because the option is still at the publisher level to enforce their draconian DRM.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
IxWkGWR.png

895! 895!

Dahbomb

Damn Enzo SPIN DAT SHIT SON!

Also by virtue of saying something to "dampen" reaction is by definition spinning. You either confirm/deconfirm something or you say whatever you can to mitigate a response.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So when enzo gets banned for all of this tom foolery who's going to make the weekly thread? More importantly, will the impersonator impersonate that person then?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I guess there's no way for me to argue here without people thinking I'm MS bias or forcing everyone to read my entire impressions/history of comments on next gen huh.

Maybe if I bring my Enzo avatar back, and the irony of it all will cancel things out :O

smurfx

get some go again
I guess there's no way for me to argue here without people thinking I'm MS bias or forcing everyone to read my entire impressions/history of comments on next gen huh.

Maybe if I bring my Enzo avatar back, and the irony of it all will cancel things out :O
the real enzo died when he got rid of his iron man avatar. the current enzo is just a cheap imitation.

Enzo, just know that even if you're an Xbox One fan, we'll all still love you no matter what.

You're our Enzo, and nothing will change that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the real enzo died when he got rid of his iron man avatar. the current enzo is just a cheap imitation.
I'm working on my Yeezus Iron Man avatar now. The reason I don't have an avatar right now is because I can't find the right image of Kanye doing Stronger from the Grammys that gives me the best colour for the black/purple. Been looking for that shit all day while GAF was down.

This is hard to translate into Iron Man:

kanye_west_grammys_500.jpg

I'm just joking around with you. I only make fun of people I like.

Top Bottom