• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You know that scene in 30 Days of Night when the kid is under the car crying out for God to save her, and the vampire appears and says "No God"?

Needs to be turned into Kaz's face as the Vampire. "No Ono."

People who play Marvel have been living that nightmare for the past 3 years.
Uncanny edition when? ;_;

Were just reverting back to the good old days where every port of a fighting game was completely different!

Each legend is a champion in their own console.

shaowebb

Build is broken and your next game is in Alpha state. Your move Shaowebb. Its a product of development and budget.

Well, technically they hired someone else to make the game in the first place. And it's sequel.

The lesson should be "outsource to someone with a good track record".

Pretty much all that could be said already has. At least play the build your gonna ship. No way did they actually sit down for a good while and play test properly and say that this is okay. If you haven't got the money to do it right...then don't is my opinion. It hurts the brand...if this version is married to EVO it'll definitely be bad for it when the game series everyone is wanting to be exciting at EVO so folks line up for the exclusive sequel on PS4 is raked over the coals for being terrible regardless of if its just that version. If you want the sequel to look good on your system set a standard with the port of Ultra.

El Sloth

Banned
This is pretty cool:

@Flying_Wonkey: Some arcades in Japan have installed capture devices onto Tekken 7 to allow people to record their game footage.​
CGBYTLtUMAIyGF6.jpg
CGBYTk_VAAAG7Ti.jpg

There are quite a few bugs, yes, but its not that bad. I certainly find it playable. Buggy and absolutely unacceptable in a tournament, sure.

It's not just random bugs or UI issues, though. If the abysmal performance and latency issues are because it's essentially the PS4 running an emulated version of the game (like some people are suspecting) it might be completely irredeemable.

If moves don't behave like they're supposed to and there's 2 extra frames of input delay it means there's probably something fundamentally wrong with the port, so I suspect it's a much bigger deal than just bug fixes to get this in any condition for competitive play.

shaowebb

We can only hope that all the issues get patched within the next 3 or so weeks

God I hope so. Stuff like this really hurts the viewer, the player, the scene, and the reputations of all parties involved. This is pretty much the worst case scenario right now seeing the game released in this condition on a countdown till it has to be used for the biggest tourney around.

Helluva way to build a brand up to draw in console sales for an exclusive sequel to show that its predecessor had the biggest fighting tourney of the year ruined by the version that ran on your console. Of all the ports this was probably the most important one in awhile so it boggles the mind why they would take the cheap route on who to outsource to. Just admit if you didn't have the right funds to make it happen. Now they have to hope they can burn the midnight oil on overtime to fix this in time for the tourney which means they are still paying to make this game by doing it like this. Either pay for it to be done right and released in working order or risk the fact you may have to keep paying for it at launch. The longer it takes to patch the worse it is for its sales and brand rep and the more it costs you.

In other words...if you didn't have the budget to actually pull this off for EVO then don't try to force it out there on the cheap thinking it'd be alright. You just lose money and rep that way. Just admit whats doable and whats not as a developer and make whats feasible. The refusal to do this these days means that folks are really starting to see launch titles as things that are not only expensive but not safe to support even if you can afford them. They're just forcing folks into used markets further with this refusal to admit what they can budget for.

vg260

It's not just random bugs or UI issues, though. If the abysmal performance and latency issues are because it's essentially the PS4 running an emulated version of the game (like some people are suspecting) it might be completely irredeemable.

If moves don't behave like they're supposed to and there's 2 extra frames of input delay it means there's probably something fundamentally wrong with the port, so I suspect it's a much bigger deal than just bug fixes to get this in any condition for competitive play.

That's my gut reaction. At least how it feels.

Coda

Isn't the simplest way to do USF4 on PS4 to port the PC version?

Something tells me they tried to port the 360 version because it was the tournament standard version but ran into problems converting a PowerPC architecture to an x86 one.

Sheroking

Even if it gets fixed idk if people would want to return to it, though they would have to in the end

Bah. They gave PC eight million chances after every ineffectual patch, they'll give PS4 more still because they need to migrate to the console for SFV anyway.

Onemic

Even if it gets fixed idk if people would want to return to it, though they would have to in the end

If it ends up being fixed and playing as advertised I see no reason why people wouldnt play it. I mean, look at the PC version. That shit was broken for months and everyone knows now that it's pretty much the best version of the game.

vg260

If it ends up being fixed and playing as advertised I see no reason why people wouldnt play it. I mean, look at the PC version. That shit was broken for months and everyone knows now that it's pretty much the best version of the game.

The thing was that was mostly the network performance, which turns out was a Steam platform issue with their P2P matchmaking. This port seems to have bigger issues. I do hope it's fixed to the point where it doesn't have a stigma about the base game, which seems likely at this point.

shaowebb

If it turns out that they essentially made an emulator then I think its pretty much gonna be hopeless.

Nyoro SF

Bah. They gave PC eight million chances after every ineffectual patch, they'll give PS4 more still because they need to migrate to the console for SFV anyway.

Updating a PC version of a title is extremely easy and free

Updating a title on PSN especially with a lot of content (or cross-content) behind it is an absolute nightmare

kirblar

PC was God-Tier until the steam move, and the issues were all netcode-related. The community also figured out the biggest issues early on- it just took forever to get them corrected.

USF4 on PS4 is broken in about a billion different ways right now. Situations aren't close to close.

In the Ultra thread, some of you forgot that the Japanese have played on the 360 since 2010 (when they had to play on console as arcades didn't have Super at the time). They have always preferred the 360 version to the ps3 version.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The PS4 port is irredeemable as far as tourney play is concerned. Even if they release a patch that appears to make everything hunky dory on the surface, I wouldn't trust playing this version at all. Feels like it would be very likely that they would miss some tiny thing that would affect the outcomes of matches, considering the amount of shit that's fucked up.

If I was a big-tits tourney player, the only way I would even begin to trust this version is if Sony and Capcom could say that all the issues were caused by a singular switch in the code that was flipped the wrong way.

Also, I hope TO's have a clause in their contracts that say they don't have to use the PS4 version if shit is fucked. Or at least that Sony/Capcom are merciful and don't mandate using the PS4 version. Signing a contract saying you'll use the PS4 version is pretty dumb when the game isn't even out yet and you don't know the quality of the port job.

Also, I hope TO's have a clause in their contracts that say they don't have to use the PS4 version if shit is fucked. Or at least that Sony/Capcom are merciful and don't mandate using the PS4 version. Signing a contract saying you'll use the PS4 version is pretty dumb when the game isn't even out yet and you don't know the quality of the port job.

Everyone operating as if the port was going to be perfect is really troubling to me, especially with this much money potentially being involved. I hope nobody gets blown up too bad.

At the end of the day I think a tournament would rather break a contract and potentially give up that Capcom/Sony cash than be known as the event that fucked up. It's not a good look for Capcom or Sony if they try to force anything and they know it, but who knows.

Maybe Sony is willing to watch the world burn

Kumubou

I wanna learn aoi. She seems so cool.
I don't think I would advise a new player to ever play her -- there's a lot of little things that can go wrong and you get utterly destroyed on launches due to her weight. There's a huge gap between her relatively low damage output and the high amount of damage she takes (along side the higher risks involved), which makes every fight an uphill battle (that, to be fair, she is mostly equipped to deal with).

However, if that doesn't scare you off, then go for it because she really is fun to play. Just be prepared for some quick blow-ups at times.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Talk to literally anyone who's had to get an update through Sony or MS cert before?

There are probably several reading this thread right now.
They're welcome to do so then. It just sounds like the same schlock that's been passed down since before both major console makers significantly revamped their update and cert policies. Same bullshit pops up every now and then that hasn't been a thing for years, like patch cert taking months, developers all being at a disadvantage, etc. while you have other games getting frequent updates week after week (maybe even twice within a week? I think I got two big ones for Ether One this week, which is an indie title at that) with relatively no problem or inherent "nightmare".

Part of this is already self-evident with Nyoro making it a point that PC updating is free in comparison, implying it is not on consoles.

Top Bottom