• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

Surely the Hadouken Cabs video and site aren't for nothing though right? I find it hard to believe they would make it for no reason. I'm not expecting it to be anything good at this point but something must be coming eventually.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I had no idea what the rumors were for the PS4 launch since I was away from GAF for most of the week, but I was watching the ridiculous Rocket Raccoon play on Bum's stream with the PS4 launch on the side, and all I know was that there was an angry stream chat and GAF died for no damn reason.

I want to know which GAF member is Joey. Fess up for real, I know he posts on here. He's how I picture some people that post on GAF seriously.

And hahaha @ Ono - I love the guy, mainly because I never take any announcement of an announcement or event hype and rumors seriously, which is why I'm never disappointed after watching events. Yet others do it and get disappointed every single time.

Again, this guy's Iron Fist and Rocket Raccoon is ridiculous right now.

Damnit GAF, stop dying.

Dahbomb

PS4 event actually put me off the PS4. They showed nothing. I expected the launch to suck, but they showed nothing exclusive that will drop in 2014 beyond Infamous (which I don't care about). Pretty much confirmed I don't care about "next-gen" until the FGs drop. Wish arcades would comeback so I wouldn't have to even feel compelled to own one of these transistor trash cans.
I don't understand how people expected anything from a LAUNCH event. The world premieres and shit is reserved for big all around game events like E3 not console launches.

I guess this is Sony's fault for hyping up the event but this is generally par for the course. I wouldn't expect big game announcements until at least E3.

Wonder if this what the Hadoken Cabs trailer was about...Vewlix SF cabinet models went on sale today in Japan.

BZFv8lDCAAA7ZXw.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't understand how people expected anything from a LAUNCH event. The world premieres and shit is reserved for big all around game events like E3 not console launches.

I guess this is Sony's fault for hyping up the event but this is generally par for the course. I wouldn't expect big game announcements until at least E3.

How often are launch events like this even done for video game consoles? Pretty sure this is a relatively new thing.

I thought the strategy for this event was obvious: show people why they should be excited about getting a PS4 during the launch window, and, more importantly; show them why they should be excited about their investment's future. Show us why we should be excited about NEXT GEN.

Outside SS, they showed us nothing that shows me why I should be excited about buying a PS4, in particular. I figured the whole point of this event was to maintain the brand's momentum and show us why these consoles are worth paying attention to. Give the people that haven't preordered or already decided to by the system launch window a reason to pay attention or get excited. Instead they showed a bunch of stuff that's going to be on X1, PS3 DLC, a logo, and a stupid character skin for another third party title that's also on X1. The worst part is the lack of SF news that I thought would at least salvage the event if everything else sucked - an expectation clearly set by Sony and Capcom for obvious reasons. Yeah.

I really didn't think I was expecting much - but maybe the problem is with me. I guess I was hoping Sony would give me a reasons to get excited about video games again. Maybe I've just truly grown out of video games.

*shrug*

Mr. X

Release Soul Calibur 2 at this moment

"See guys, no one actually cares about SC2, just a vocal minority"

And Namco goes back to shitting up the game with more meters and HUD crap.

That trailer was pretty unexciting really. I know it's just to try to hype up the arcade release though so I wasn't really expecting much anyway.

Release Soul Calibur 2 at this moment

"See guys, no one actually cares about SC2, just a vocal minority"

And Namco goes back to shitting up the game with more meters and HUD crap.

Well. All they added was a super meter and the guard meter is on the life bar in 5. Its not like they BB'd it up. I don't think it shitted it up. What else is wrong with the HUD?

Unless you mean all the meters on that single player version.

I look forward to some nostalgia filled fun with SC2 though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Well. All they added was a super meter and the guard meter is on the life bar in 5. Its not like they BB'd it up. I don't think it shitted it up. What else is wrong with the HUD?

Unless you mean all the meters on that single player version.

I look forward to some nostalgia filled fun with SC2 though.

It's not the HUD itself, its the mechanics they represent. There's way more wrong with SC5 in relation to SC2 than just guard bar and super meter - but SC5 is one of the better SC games regardless. SC2 is simply the series' pinnacle for many in its competitive scene

Dahbomb

How often are launch events like this even done for video game consoles? Pretty sure this is a relatively new thing.
You hit the nail on the head or at least you are on the right track. Launch events did exist but they aren't publicized this much and there aren't new games shown. Its just preaching to the choire, as if the people there needed more reasons to buy a PS4. The PS3 launch was like this only with no new announcements and was also much worse.

Its going to take a while before the good games start coming, it usually takes a full year at least. These new consoles will hit their stride late 2014/early 2015. The PS2 launched in 2000 but good games didn't start coming until late 2001.

And Capcpom gonna Capcpom. I think you were on hiatus but during your absence Capcpom was basically going through fuck ups after fuck ups. The only thing they didn't fuck up recently is Capcom Cup, that's a good thing in general from them to support the community.

kirblar

You hit the nail on the head or at least you are on the right track. Launch events did exist but they aren't publicized this much and there aren't new games shown. Its just preaching to the choire, as if the people there needed more reasons to buy a PS4. The PS3 launch was like this only with no new announcements and was also much worse.

Its going to take a while before the good games start coming, it usually takes a full year at least. These new consoles will hit their stride late 2014/early 2015. The PS2 launched in 2000 but good games didn't start coming until late 2001.

And Capcpom gonna Capcpom. I think you were on hiatus but during your absence Capcpom was basically going through fuck ups after fuck ups. The only thing they didn't fuck up recently is Capcom Cup, that's a good thing in general from them to support the community.
sethlol had to undo their big fuckup

Kimosabae

Banned
Dahbomb: I hear yah, man. Overall, both these systems just seem disappointing and unless something crazy comes out in the future - I can see myself skipping this gen all together. Usually there's at least one game at launch that shows the promise of the new gen - even if it's something you couldn't personally care less about playing.

Fuck it. 'Gettin a WiiU even though I don't give two fucks about the new Smash.

Get at me.

It's not the HUD itself, its the mechanics they represent. There's way more wrong with SC5 in relation to SC2 than just guard bar and super meter - but SC5 is when of the better SC games regardless. SC2 is simply the series' pinnacle for many in its competitive scene

Oh, I get that. A good number of people prefer 2 and think its the best and a lot of people have different opinions on it. I prefer 5 over 2, I love both of them. ( I love 3 as well, heh).

But X said the HUD is messed up. Just wondering how it is messed up, besides the implications of how the super meter affects the gameplay.

Kimosabae

Banned
Oh, I get that. A good number of people prefer 2 and think its the best and a lot of people have different opinions on it. I prefer 5 over 2, I love both of them. ( I love 3 as well, heh).

But X said the HUD is messed up. Just wondering how it is messed up, besides the implications of how the super meter affects the gameplay.

I think you just misinterpreted him. I don't think he was ACTUALLY referring to the HUD, but the using the HUD as a reference to the mechanics themselves.

Could be wrong though.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb: I hear yah, man. Overall, both these systems just seem disappointing and unless something crazy comes out in the future - I can see myself skipping this gen all together.
Yea right LOL! Don't judge a generation before it has even started.

Best thing people can do is wait and upgrade their PC. Most 3rd party next gen game will be available on PC so you will only miss out on some 1st party games which starting out aren't going to be that great.

I think you just misinterpreted him. I don't think he was ACTUALLY referring to the HUD, but the using the HUD as a reference to the mechanics themselves.

Could be wrong though.

Probably I did. Its just extremes of the comparisons. 5 doesn't have to be a shitted up game to argue that 2 is good. I think both are good and offer different things (good and bad) and in turn people will have opinions on what they prefer. Saying I like 5 more more than 2 shouldn't mean I think 2 is shit or 5 is perfect, or vise versa.

P.s. I think 4 is shit :)

I'm not saying you made those arguments, I'm just rambling.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb: I hear yah, man. Overall, both these systems just seem disappointing and unless something crazy comes out in the future - I can see myself skipping this gen all together. Usually there's at least one game at launch that shows the promise of the new gen - even if it's something you couldn't personally care less about playing.
This is just the strangest sentiment in the gaming world. Especially when you are justifying it by grading years and years worth of potential by rushed, unoptimized launch titles primarily consisting of ports. Compare something like GRAW to something like GTA V and they very much look a generation apart.

Yeah, the PS4 launch lineup is pretty shit, and the X1s is not really that much better, but there are already so many cool next gen games on the way that are trying/doing different things that I'm pretty intrigued for where they go. You have stuff like Titanfall which dares to challenge the entire genre's history of approaches to infantry/vehicle balance, The Crew that tries to get closer to a simulation of driving across America, Watch_Dogs taking connectivity to a whole other level, etc. And that's not even taking into account the graphical showcases.

Right now, for me, KI represents a lot of that "oh shit we next gen now." Not because of HD sparkz grafxx but because of the flexibility in business models developers have now that were previously exclusive to PC platforms, but now with a first party push in services and games to go with it.

Nobody is going to announce shit at a 11pm launch event.

They will be saving it all up for prime time at the VXG awards night. That could actually be a pretty big night for the FGC.

This is just the strangest sentiment in the gaming world. Especially when you are justifying it by grading years and years worth of potential by rushed, unoptimized launch titles primarily consisting of ports. Compare something like GRAW to something like GTA V and they very much look a generation apart.

Yeah, the PS4 launch lineup is pretty shit, and the X1s is not really that much better, but there are already so many cool next gen games on the way that are trying/doing different things that I'm pretty intrigued for where they go. You have stuff like Titanfall which dares to challenge the entire genre's history of approaches to infantry/vehicle balance, The Crew that tries to get closer to a simulation of driving across America, Watch_Dogs taking connectivity to a whole other level, etc. And that's not even taking into account the graphical showcases.

Right now, for me, KI represents a lot of that "oh shit we next gen now." Not because of HD sparkz grafxx but because of the flexibility in business models developers have now that were previously exclusive to PC platforms, but now with a first party push in services and games to go with it.

So nothing? I don't think I'm the only one that's grown less and less interested in gaming. I'm bored, nothing next gen looks fun or interesting. I don't think there has been a single next gen exclusive game I am remotely looking forward to let alone enough for me to buy a system.

With PSN also now being behind a paywall it's even more on an intensive NOT to buy a next gen console. Rather not have another monthly bill just so I can play multilplayer. Also PS4 is not backwards compatible so WHY would I drop everything and buy a new one? One of the reasons I jumped on a PS3 was because it was backwards compatible and PS1 memory cards were in very short and expensive supply at the time. I'm gonna have my PS3 for a long ass time and I'm gonna use to to play ALL my old games.

So yeah, as of now I'm skipping next gen too.

When a console has games you want to play, buy it. If it doesn't? don't buy it.

It isn't that hard and shouldn't be a big drama.

Surely the Hadouken Cabs video and site aren't for nothing though right? I find it hard to believe they would make it for no reason. I'm not expecting it to be anything good at this point but something must be coming eventually.

Still think gonna be some sort of deal tying into Capcom Arcade Cabinet for next-gen. Probably a multi-game pack that's nothing but Street Fighters. Spend 15 bucks and get ST, Alpha 2 & 3, Third Strike, something like that.

When a console has games you want to play, buy it. If it doesn't? don't buy it.

It isn't that hard and shouldn't be a big drama.

It shouldn't but it is. People hate being wrong or being told they've made a mistake. Why do you think people who buy crap games always say "It isn't that bad" or buy a console and tear down the opposing ones? Why do people bandwagon on games that other people say are good? So they can feel like they made the right choice. Same reason people pick certain teams to cheer for in sports. You want to be right, a winner, in some way, in all ways perhaps.

Welcome to life and society.

If you don't care about what next gen has right now, why is a person who does "wrong"? Makes so sense. Why does your decision have to be the right one? Why not to each their own? If people are hype for it, good for them and I am happy for them. People care about different games.

http://nesica.net/news/detail/?nid=44

Hello everyone. Is NESiCA.net management people. Location Test of "Ultra Street Fighter Ⅳ" will start the implementation from November 22!
================================================== = ■ ■ Location Test Overview =============================================
====== [schedule]  
the 24th (Friday) to 22 November (day) [implementation] store Taito Station, Sapporo Tanukikoji store, Taito station Sendai Chris load store, Taito Station Shinjuku South Exit game world shop, Taito station Osu shop, Taito station Osaka Nihonbashi store, Taito station Fukuoka Tenjin (use of NESiCA can not please be careful..) offline:
※ Network [Location Test Settings]  
time limit: 99 count  
victory conditions: 2 wins preoccupation  
winning streak limit: 5 (there is a case to be three wins by congestion Location Test conducted in-store) wins  
against method: link match notes ※   
shooting of still images and video of the screen game will be prohibited.
================================================== = Get the special NESiCA sticker sheet to the visitor who had you play! !

google helps me understand moon speak, but looks like japanese loc tests are soon.

If you don't care about what next gen has right now, why is a person who does "wrong"? Makes so sense. Why does your decision have to be the right one? Why not to each their own? If people are hype for it, good for them and I am happy for them. People care about different games.

You have poor reading comprehension don't you? You really must.

Isn't KI's model just a worse version of LoL's, or have they announced something new? And Titanfall just looks like a mashup of late 90's PC FPS ideas put into a slow console package, but we'll see. That game isn't a good reason to get an X1, though, because it's on 360 AND PC.

As overblown as some of the cynicism about this new gen can be, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the next year or two. These machines aren't as a big step forward as any of the generational gaps before it, and both companies basically making the exact same box (collusion!) sort of kills the hype. The "new hardware" allure isn't as strong as it used to be, atleast for me, because everyone's hopes and expectations are for these machines to include features that are already widely available on other platforms, and to just be bargain gaming PCs, which isn't interesting.

You can combo using red focus into a crumple state.

Ex. Ryu st. hp -> cancel red focus level 1 (crumple) -> ultra = combo

Sounds good...Wait what?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
They said you can focus through up to 10 attacks with red focus if you tried lolol

Ken will FINALLY have a reliable way to combo into full U1?!

Sounds like everybody will have a way to combo into it. Honda combo into U1? Bison getting damage off a mk? Hmm...

Not that I think it is necessarily a bad thing, but it all sounds about as balanced as an xbox one at this point. My faith in Capcom getting it right first go isn't exactly huge.

I tried reading it using google translator. I makes no damn sense to me. I'll wait for a full translation. Hopefully someone does one.

And I'm getting a PS4 later today, WOOT. Their is practically nothing I want to play at launch or for a good while. But I'm a sucker for new hardware and the games I want will eventually come out. Until then it'll make a cool decoration.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Sounds like everybody will have a way to combo into it. Honda combo into U1? Hmm...

Not that I think it is necessarily a bad thing, but it all sounds about as balanced as an xbox one at this point. My faith in Capcom getting it right first go isn't exactly huge.

I like this change. I've said it numerous times before, but the current version of SSF4 AE2012 is great. Let players continue to enjoy it and make USF4 the crazy broken version of SF4.

Top Bottom