• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

Beckx

Darkstalkers is not dead.

Ayana Tsubaki: For many years now, Capcom has been making strides towards supporting and enlivening the world of fighting games. As a fighting games player myself, that's something that I'd like to express my gratitude for. Especially when you said, a number of years back, that you'd love to bring out a new installment in the Darkstalkers series... when that was reported, I was simply euphoric.

Yoshinori Ono: My apologies. We won't be releasing a new installment in the Darkstalkers series anytime soon. As we didn't manage to hit our sales targets for Darkstalkers Resurrection... so...

Tsubaki: Eh?! *Laughs* But I'm really a fan of the series, and I'd really love for Capcom to make it happen!

Ono: Well, in that case all you have to do is buy about 4 million copies of Darkstalkers Resurrections! *Laughs*

Laugh it up, Ono. :/

Where are these cats like eighting dropping them B-tier series like Bloody Roar?

I guess Konami is more into fitness centers than gamedev these days, and eighting has to put dinner on the table by existing as code house for anime license games and handheld tekken ports...

Astarte

Rival Schools HD Collection, then Rival Schools 3... right guys ? :(

I would love that. It'd save me time on unscrewing my hit box and replacing the cord every time I want to play on my dreamcast.

I also don't blame Capcom for not reviving darkstalkers. Ono can't wave his hands and go 'but the fans are there tho' without greedy big as numbers.

Seyavesh

what is Niitsuma even working on these days? dude's been ghost for a minute

mobile games

same with itsuno

edit: realistically speaking the statement of requiring 2mil games for a xbone/ps4 era aaa game is pretty reasonable in terms of wanting profit, especially considering the thin ice capcom is on and the absolutely insane production costs of a aaa next-gen game
that's a huge reason why they're testing the waters with mid/micro-scale projects like rev2 and deep down

but fuck all that anyways invest 2 billion dollars in mvc4 capcom DO IT FUCKERS

Then why get hyped in the first place?

Yeah silly Capcom, expecting fans to show support for a series they claim to want.

I could understand with a new ip/fighting game, but an old one where most likely the majority of player base of sf4 never played or never really cared about it makes not much sense lol.

I could understand with a new ip/fighting game, but an old one where most likely the majority of player base of sf4 never played or never really cared about it makes not much sense lol.
Then why make a new Darkstalkers at all with that attitude? During the DS IS NOT DEAD thing I saw this thread claim to want a new game so badly, but I'd bet my house that most wouldn't buy it. Releasing Resurrection was a safe move that ended up biting them in the ass because the greater FGC claimed to want a new game. But what proof is there at all that it would make a profit? Especially after SFxT bombed?

Fucking hell.

what happened to you, video games. you used to be cool.

They tried to be cool.

Seriously, you can't just make a fun game these days. It has to sell to 5 million plus randoms or it is not worth the time.

Then why make a new Darkstalkers at all with that attitude? During the DS IS NOT DEAD thing I saw this thread claim to want a new game so badly, but I'd bet my house that most wouldn't buy it. Releasing Resurrection was a safe move that ended up biting them in the ass because the greater FGC claimed to want a new game. But what proof is there at all that it would make a profit? Especially after SFxT bombed?

There was a chance they could have made it good. That would have helped.

Beckx

Then why get hyped in the first place?

Yeah silly Capcom, expecting fans to show support for a series they claim to want.

More realistically, you can complain about their failure to market Darkstalkers and criticize them for thinking that a digital oldie release in 2013 had the same predictive power for sales of a new game as it did at the dawn of the generation.

P.S. I think it would struggle to sell a million and wouldn't justify the budget.

More realistically, you can complain about their failure to market Darkstalkers and criticize them for thinking that a digital oldie release in 2013 had the same predictive power for sales of a new game as it did at the dawn of the generation.

P.S. I think it would struggle to sell a million and wouldn't justify the budget.
Yeah, they really didn't promote that game for shit. It was still the safer move, though.

2 mil expectation for a DL, old title is way over reaching. I don't know what they were thinking there. It was wanted, but not like that.

it was a safer move I agree, but I bet they knew it would never sell what they wanted. sfxt hit 1.7 mil based on their website which is close to the 2mil. it sold as much as lp2 and that got lp3. who knows what wouldve happened with a new darkstalkers or another fg ip that isn't sf.

I think Capcom will just stick with SF4 (And SF5) + some HD re-releases of old fighting games titles for a while (Alpha collection, Rival Schools 1 & 2)

Capcom set high sales targets for a $15 re-release of two niche fighting games?

When this is the same company that paid for three Lost Planet games?

What?

EDIT: On "we'd like to patch SFxT" - that'd be cool, but they would drop their costs massively if they just patched the PC version. Use it as an experiment - "a port of SFxT to Steamworks, alongside a whole new balance patch and the release of all those weird gems we held back!" alongside dropping the price down low for a sale. Or hell, do something nuts like make the game F2P and charge for the 12 characters, costumes and gems.

Not that Capcom would do this, unfortunately.

Beckx

I think Capcom will just stick with SF4 (And SF5) + some HD re-releases of old fighting games titles for a while (Alpha collection, Rival Schools 1 & 2)

They won't spend a dime to clear up whatever IP issues prevent them from re-releasing Rival Schools in the US (it's on JP PSN), so it's very unlikely they'd spend even more to update anything.

Most likely.

I have just the thing to cure what ails you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLm_D0QnAxE

Let us escape the wretched, clammy clasp of anime with the one true OG fighting game.
My opinion on this game is what my member title links to. Just replace the game names. Must be careful of mods, oh noez :(

Dahbomb

Guys you just have to take a deep breath and then say:

"Capcpcom gonna Capcpcom"

And it will explain evrrything..

Busaiku

The future is mobile. And anime.
The future is now.
eXxQw63.jpg

Malice215

Dang I think it's safe to say Soul Calibur has now equalized (or even surpassed) DOA in the fan service department:

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201410080003/

NSFW

DOA has a ton more fanservice as a series, especially in DOA5 if you look at the amount of DLC the game has. This is just an outfit in Lost Swords. Plus SCV got away from the type of fanservice that they've added to Lost Swords.

Just saw this count of TFC pre-registration. Wow, those numbers are REALLY low, especially for a BigE/ShinBlanka tournament. USF4 is particularly surprising since it's a premier event on the Capcom Pro Tour. What was James Chen's criteria for what qualifies as a major, 200 people for SF4? (Not that I agree with James on that front, though.)

I'm sure they'll get a good amount of at-the-door registration, but I doubt it'll be anywhere close to the gigantic at-the-door numbers that BigE's Philly tournaments get. (Raleigh being slightly further from NYC.)

I guess filling the hole in the calendar left by Season's Beatings is not so easy.

There's going to be a ton of people at the door, so I am not worried about what the pre-reg numbers are. Plus it's going to pull in people from areas that don't have many major tournaments. Plus the numbers for SF are still strong for a tournament at this time of the year with people being back in school.

As for Capcom, people want a NEW Darkstalkers game. Re-rereleasing the same game is not what people want. They've dried up the well in HD ports and they're not going to spend the money trying to resurrect any obscure IPs, so it will be interesting to see what they do in the next gen. I wouldn't be surprised if SF5 was the only fighting game they come out with.

Top Bottom