• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

Beckx

Incoming mobile card game or SRW placement.

Not gonna lie. GBF units in SRW would be godly. I don't care what kind of crazy story hijinks they need to make the gundams real in the SRW universe.

They're already in a card game though. grumble grumble stupid grinding for card drops where are my GBF cards grumble grumble

.la1n

Then why get hyped in the first place?

Yeah silly Capcom, expecting fans to show support for a series they claim to want.

The second part of my comment was meant sarcastic, I actually do think the current Street Fighter team could probably produce a good Darkstalkers. Even if they couldn't I would have liked to have seen them give it a shot.

I am not sure releasing the older games is necessarily the best judge of how a brand new entry would have sold. I won't lose any sleep over not seeing the franchise come back, there are plenty of other great fighters to delve into right now. If we do ever get a hypothetical All-Stars fighter I would like to see more Darkstalkers representation than the usual suspects.

The future is mobile. And anime.

Well good news, I just met both requirements but playing MvC2 on the iPhone.

Massive Kappa face.

There will be one more SFIV end all iteration on PS4/XB1 before the next big thing.

That's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't even be double dipping at that. I'd be quintuple dipping so screw it. I'll buy again.

The second part of my comment was meant sarcastic, I actually do think the current Street Fighter team could probably produce a good Darkstalkers. Even if they couldn't I would have liked to have seen them give it a shot.

I am not sure releasing the older games is necessarily the best judge of how a brand new entry would have sold. I won't lose any sleep over not seeing the franchise come back, there are plenty of other great fighters to delve into right now. If we do ever get a hypothetical All-Stars fighter I would like to see more Darkstalkers representation than the usual suspects.

What I want is for Capcom to flip the table and say "fuck it" and make a Capcom celebration game. Much like how Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was. Every Tekken character in a single that gave the series a breathe of fresh air.

I don't just want Capcom Fighting Jam with just the fighters, but make a game that has Phoenix Wright, Viewitful Joe, Ryu, A dinosaur from Dinosaurs and Cadillacs, Dan Smith from Killer 7 and everything else.

Wow so even here of all places, people are surprised by Darkstalkers being dead? I mean I thought that was common knowledge now that this game was never going to happen and that waiting for it was useless.

Beckx

If we do ever get a hypothetical All-Stars fighter I would like to see more Darkstalkers representation than the usual suspects.

"We asked Ninja Theory to provide us with edgy, updated looks for Donovan, Huitzel and Raptor. We think you're going to love it. These aren't your father's Darkstalkers!"

Wow so even here of all places, people are surprised by Darkstalkers being dead? I mean I thought that was common knowledge now that this game was never going to happen and that waiting for it was useless.

I doubt anyone is really surprised.

It's just the first time Ono has actually said it, and his commentary tracks with comments Sven has made before.

Top brass at Capcom probably purposefully set unrealistic sales targets for Resurrection so Ono would shut up about wanting funding to make a new Darkstalkers.

looks like it sucks to be a capcom fan

no sequels if it didn't move 2M units? dafuck outta here with that

What I don't get is that Resident Evil 6 sold 5 million and Capcom still called it a failure. If I'm gonna be honest, I think Capcom are taking the piss when it comes to saying "yeah we'll give you Darkstalkers if it hits X million sales" because at the end of the day, it's still a failure.

Top brass at Capcom probably purposefully set unrealistic sales targets for Resurrection so Ono would shut up about wanting funding to make a new Darkstalkers.

...and this. At least you Darkstalkers guy had the attention, I'm still waiting for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs 2

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whether or not there was a sales target or it hit it (they have already acknowledged that HD ports have been getting diminishing returns in general, which also had stronger and weaker IPs mixed about), it's pretty much the only reliable evidence they have of interest in the IP.

Fighting games still don't have that broad of an appeal, and you have to temper possibilities for some of the smaller franchises appropriately. Whatever the sales of Resurrection looked like, they probably weren't good enough to greenlight a $50 million dollar title over focusing on core, more powerful IPs, that's for sure.

petghost

Banned
There is somethingn to be said about having diverse ips tho... Otherwise you can wind up grinding seemingly tried and true ones into the ground Activision style ala Tony hawk or guitar hero. I can totally imagine a world where RE is no longer relevant. Then what will capcom have? A bunch of ips that haven't been supported for 20 years.

Pics_nao

The future is now.
eXxQw63.jpg

When's Kancolle fightan?

Mr. X

Capcom needs a few huge hits and use the profit to experiment through diverse, smaller scale games. I know some of their talent has to tired of working on sequels and want to pursue original ideas.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Capcom needs a few huge hits and use the profit to experiment through diverse, smaller scale games. I know some of their talent has to tired of working on sequels and want to pursue original ideas.
Mobile games are pretty small scale

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Capcom is too big to do small anymore

Sooner you realize this the better. They're not after the money/audience that sustains smaller developers like ArcSys

If their talent is really unsatisfied....time to leave the company. That's why Mikami, Kamiya and Inafune left. Why would things change now?

Kumubou

The future is now.
eXxQw63.jpg
Wait until Kadokawa commissions a Gundam EXVS clone with the Kancolle license -- I don't even want to think of how popular that would end up being. x_x

Mobile games are pretty small scale
Big mobile games aren't nearly as cheap as people think. Any money you save in development ends up getting burned up in marketing costs, especially as there seems to be zero loyalty in the market.

Capcom is too big to do small anymore

Sooner you realize this the better. They're not after the money/audience that sustains smaller developers like ArcSys

If their talent is really unsatisfied....time to leave the company. That's why Mikami, Kamiya and Inafune left. Why would things change now?
I think the idea there is more to invest in small, experimental projects as effectively R&D, looking for the Next Big Thing. No one can lean on their tentpole franchises forever.

Village

Darkstalkers... *sigh*

(._. )

I dunno I kinda feel like if that and rival schools ever wanted to come back a lot of things artistically speaking would have to change, epically rivals schools.

Probably talking out muh butt: I dunno for sure, I don't have numbers But I assume neither of those properties really successful. And i feel like to try and make them successful today you might to change some stuff. I'm by no means a Japanese culture expert, I am no tiggerkiddo or whatever, but I feel like the arcetypes presented in like rival schools, artistically down to like character designs has changed so much form that time in Japanese media that I feel like that would be unappealing . Karte man gon be karate man and that never really changed much, but school guy ? That changes alot , epically in the internet age, and this has been shown in at least japanese media I have watched And dark stalkers I never though that series ever new what it wanted to be, like I find the vs version of those characters better than their actual game versions because the actual game versions were in rather dark contexts and dark levels. When the character designs were actually pretty silly I feel bb hood n morigan kinda clash with god fetus.

I dunno, while I think dark stalkers like skullgirls imo has a bit of an identity issue

Rival schools in this shenmue place where i'm like " Are you sure... you wanna new of this? Because... thing has evolved, and there is a good chance this will change drastically "

Sorry this started with dark stalkers and went rival schools, I just wanted to talk about fighting games

hitsugi

Wasn't everyone was under the assumption that SF4 would eventually get a "next-gen" iteration about a year ago..?

If they can't make cross-gen work online, I don't see that many fighting game players forking over the cash for it. Also, this late in SF4's life, it almost seems like a stupid move; should have happened with Ultra, if at all.

petghost

Banned

man i really disagree about darkstalkers not knowing what it wants to be...vampire hunter and savior are incredibly interesting focused games that were both huge in jp.

i at one point didnt get savior because i saw it as somewhere between the straightforwardness of sf and the wacky chain combo shit of marvel but it really is its own thing trying to do its own thing.

no other game out there like savior...like ever.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There will be one more SFIV end all iteration on PS4/XB1 before the next big thing.

do you know something we dont kadey?

I love this post

dont enable countblackule pls, he hasnt stopped talking about deejay just as mike ross wont stop talking about his glory days with honda in super. its over man.

looks like it sucks to be a capcom fan

no sequels if it didn't move 2M units? dafuck outta here with that

it has sucked ever since inafune left cause his interview basically described the shitshow that capcom is right now.

they arent going to experiment, they would have ages ago. they have the money but want more than what they could handle, trying to become a japanese activision but worse.

Dahbomb

We have a budget that is 1/4 of that which we had back in Tekken 5. The team is hard at work developing but they can't help it if the team doesn't have enough funds to make everything.

Harada states that T7 only got 1/4th of the budget of T5. That's fucking ridiculous but with that in mind they have actually done pretty well with T7.

Sad state of affairs we live in.

Beckx

Harada states that T7 only got 1/4th of the budget of T5. That's fucking ridiculous but with that in mind they have actually done pretty well with T7.

Well, this is why Namco is in pretty good shape: they make smart budget decisions rather than overspending to pursue blockbusters.

Oh. Gunpla money doesn't hurt too I guess.

Kumubou

Frankly, we're lucky he got 1/4th of the budget -- I think most series would have gotten zip after what happened with TTT2. That must be one of the big reasons why they went to UE4: there's no way they could budget in their own engine development. That may be one of the reason why the roster is getting cut as hard as it is, as well. My one real concern isn't with the content being recycled from previous games, but if their budget is that thin then they may not be able to produce the content required for the console release to do well.

Still though, between the gradual inflation from the last decade and the much higher manpower requirements, that's a light-up.

Beckx

When you budget correctly you can redefine what it means to do well.

Yeah, I know, SquareEnix doesn't believe it either.

Frankly, we're lucky he got 1/4th of the budget -- I think most series would have gotten zip after what happened with TTT2. That must be one of the big reasons why they went to UE4: there's no way they could budget in their own engine development. That may be one of the reason why the roster is getting cut as hard as it is, as well. My one real concern isn't with the content being recycled from previous games, but if their budget is that thin then they may not be able to produce the content required for the console release to do well.

Still though, between the gradual inflation from the last decade and the much higher manpower requirements, that's a light-up.

Was TTT2 not out in arcades? I thought that's where the Japanese fighters made all their money, which is why the rest of the world gets screwed on release times.

Top Bottom