• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNinja

What if Alexander O. Smith isn't localizing FFXV because he's handling an expanded FFXII instead?

NUyttbn.gif

Fehyd

Banned
They probably have some texture smoothing going on. Which pretty much ruins detail. Lots of low resolution textures are all about straight lines. It just becomes a blurry mess when you smooth it.

Still, I'd rather have a remaster with new textures, some model tweaks, text for HD displays, and some of the international improvements. LOL.

JehutyGR

I must be a rare FF fan who played, liked and appreciated every single-player mainline FF including 2 and 8, to different degrees of course. Well except 13. I like to pretend 13 never existed these days.

You are not alone, but people like you and me tend to sit back and watch the camps fighting each other.

But I'm thinking if each entry in the series was the same with the preview ones with little changes, and all the people either hated or loved everything, FF would be dead by now.

igor

Since posting this bit of news today the topic has gotten almost 30 pages and all the major game blogging outlets mentioned it. If SE doesn't release it, then maybe they didn't deserve the money in the first place.

Even if that composer made a mistake SE would be crazy not to do anything about it

Vire

Still, I'd rather have a remaster with new textures, some model tweaks, text for HD displays, and some of the international improvements. LOL.

I think we'll get that, I think Square has done a pretty great job overall on these remasters between FFX PS4 and the Kingdom Hearts ones... aside from the weird revisions to the faces in FFX.

Falk

that puzzling face
Since posting this bit of news today the topic has gotten almost 30 pages and all the major game blogging outlets mentioned it. If SE doesn't release it, then maybe they didn't deserve the money in the first place.

Even if that composer made a mistake SE would be crazy not to do anything about it

Although your post has "all the major game blogging outlets" and "made a mistake" in it, it's in the wrong configuration.

tuxfool

Banned
You can think opinion wise that 12 'has the best and most 'mature' characters in the entire series'(i'd say Tactics did), but that doesn't have to come out attacking every other title in the series just because one is being overzealous in their defense.

Past the 16 bit era, I honestly think that 12 and Tactics are the games that hold up best in tone for a lot of people as they get older. I used to really like X, but these days I no longer appreciate what it did for me.

Curiously enough you quoted Tactics, where both games are based on Ivalice.

tuxfool

Banned

I think most would too. However, I think what is being argued is that this is a game that has held up surprisingly well, both in presentation and gameplay, such that it is easy to see people being content with just a plain emulator run.

Wulfric

It wouldn't surprise me that Arnie Roth is privy to the goings-on at Square. What sticks out to me is what this entails for the music. If you listen to the OST, the music for XII was already high quality to begin with. I'm listening to the FLAC files from the CD right now and it still holds up. It's not like the situation with X where the synth tracks were updated due to their age.

Although I certainly wouldn't mind if Roth and Sakimoto work on some new orchestration. :)

Dark_castle

Past the 16 bit era, I honestly think that 12 and Tactics are the games that hold up best in tone for a lot of people as they get older. I used to really like X, but these days I no longer appreciate what it did for me.
Surely you mean for FF series? There are plenty of alternative game series with mature tone and intrigue. Even for FF, I think FFIX is quite well-written with a hint of Shakespearean.

theofficefan99

In all fairness you're being pretty glib.

'Cause I haven't played it in quite a few years so I can't really go in-depth with my opinion.

Maybe once I replay it, I'll be more fond of the story. However, as of right now, it was a bland, slowly-paced plot with some pretty CGI and good dialogue here and there.

Don't get me wrong though I'm extremely excited to replay this game.

tuxfool

Banned
Surely you mean for FF series? There are plenty of alternative game series with mature tone and intrigue. Even for FF, I think FFIX is quite well-written with a hint of Shakespearean.

Oh, yeah. I'm just talking about FF. I'm ok with IX too, but the art style detracts from my overall appreciation of it (I felt this way even at the time it was released). It isn't as abstract as Tactics or 2d sprites, but not reflective as 12.

legacyzero

Banned
Just hope they don't mess with the models too much. Touch up some of the lower resolution textures if you need but leave those faces alone.

tumblr_mcoma8r8jv1qbxlono1_500.gif

I remember reading a while before the game launched that they purposely went low poly in order to go for bigger worlds and better colors/textures.

So I imagine if they're going the FFX Remaster route, theyll up the polys, hopefully giving a better result than:
BcWPUUUCcAAiXz4.jpg:large

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes. They should use that money and resources on remaking a better game.

GtZtqcH.png

Cry more, bae. Your tears sustain me.

A remaster isn't going to break Square's bank like a remake of 8-9 or earlier titles past 7 were. It's that simple.

I remember reading a while before the game launched that they purposely went low poly in order to go for bigger worlds and better colors/textures.

So I imagine if they're going the FFX Remaster route, theyll up the polys, hopefully giving a better result than:
BcWPUUUCcAAiXz4.jpg:large

I think Matsuno's old PDD-4 team was just better at 3D modeling than Kitase's PDD-1 team. The characters have slightly fewer polygons than in FFX but the texturing work is much better quality, so it's hardly noticeable.

I think Matsuno's old PDD-4 team was just better at 3D modeling than Kitase's PDD-1 team. The characters have slightly fewer polygons than in FFX but the texturing work is much better quality, so it's hardly noticeable.

Well, we're talking about a 2001 game versus a 2006 one =p

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm not here to debate 12's quality. I thought it was a nice game in many ways, as most games in the series tend to be. But the exaggerated emotional investment into 'defending' that title by saying all the other games feature 'caricatures'(as if every game didn't) and are apparently somehow lowbrow by comparison is completely nonsensical.

You can think opinion wise that 12 'has the best and most 'mature' characters in the entire series'(i'd say Tactics did), but that doesn't have to come out attacking every other title in the series just because one is being overzealous in their defense.

The only game in the FF franchise i think that can be agreed by everyone as a complete fustercluck was FF14 1.0.

*EDIT*

Its something i've seen as a reoccurring thing. I've never said everyone in the Final Fantasy fanbase does this, but i've seen it enough to feel like nobody can usually agree on anything ever.
I don't know why you are continuing to insist on framing me into this narrative you have set up. 12 is neither my favorite FF nor my favorite story. It is pretty convincingly and objectively the best crafted and written in the series though. And those aren't mutual exclusive feelings to have.

And I'm sorry but you can put a vast majority of the FF characters on a list(including most of the protagonists) and most of them are superficial caricatures. They will try and shoehorn some depth into many of them(often with cliches and common story tropes) but it is typically fairly obvious and not very convincing or compelling. 12 does better then any of them at overcoming that. And had Matsuno been able to tell his story without compromise it is pretty clear that it would of been even better. Because it would of taken out even more of the problems that do exist with it. Namely Vaan.

404150-finalfantasyx_1214_002.jpg

2080391-ffxi_ot_ps2_092906.jpg

Keep in mind that FFX is a 2001 game and FFXII is 2006... The different was big.

Matsuno games always have incredible texture work (well, the ones involving textures, anyway). They tend to have fantastic sound design too. It definitely sticks out in FFXII compared to other FFs and PS2 titles in general.

Jonm1010

Banned
Would really love to see another mainline entry set in Ivalice. Such a cool setting.

It would be nice TBH if they would just spin Ivalice off into its own thing. A more mature, grounded fantasy series(theme and tone wise. I know Ivalice has lots of fantastical elements). A Game of Thrones to FF's Lord of the Rings so to speak.

Make it a more mid-range budget series to keep sales expectations in check.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like FFXII, but really? Ashe being a "blood thirsty" princess? How come so many people exaggerate so many aspects of XII's writing to make it sound better and more exciting than it actually is?

She absolutely is. She's looking for deifacted nethicite so she can blow away the Empire. The game shows us what nethicite can do to people (a portion of the Empire's entire fleet is destroyed instanteously), and we are TOLD what it did historically with Raithwall. The very climax of her character arc is her realization that she doesn't want to be Raithwall and doesn't want to be manipulated by the Occuria.

I've said this before, and I do believe it's true-- FFXII is a much, much meatier game than any previous Final Fantasy. The dungeons are massive. FFXII's main script (not counting ancillary dialogue, the bestiary, etc) might be thinner than FFX's, but because you're going to be spelunking in dungeons for 3 hours at a time, the pace of exposition feels much slower and therefore the player feels much less of it. There's a huge chunk of time-- the walk to Archades is my favorite example-- where very little "happens" in an expository sense. I mean, a ton happens from a gameplay sense and you see a ton of beautiful things and listen to amazing music-- but this isn't at all like FFX. Seriously, how many times in FFX do you get stopped on the freaking linear Mi'hen Highroad?

I LOVE both FFX and FFXII. They are genuinely wonderful games aiming for different things. I'm still able to hold in my head the idea that FFXII's story is not as fully developed or as proudly delivered as implied in the first 5-10 hours of the game...from the rush to save Raminas to Vayne's the-game-you-like-will-never-touch-this-game-ever-and-don't-even-argue speech in Rabanstre...while still thinking it's a highly satisfying tale that at very WORST loses focus and becomes pretty standard stuff like in every other FF.

Matsuno games always have incredible texture work (well, the ones involving textures, anyway). They tend to have fantastic sound design too. It definitely sticks out in FFXII compared to other FFs and PS2 titles in general.

Yeah for example Matsuno said they had to degrade all the texture files in Vagrant Story because they wouldn't fit on the PS1 disc. Would love to see a Vagrant Story HD someday if this one does well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
In terms of world design, I think FFXII most reminds me of Bloodborne when I'm looking at recently released titles. There are whole zones--massive, fully developed zones with unique monsters and music-- that you don't even have to explore but really contribute to the world and its sense of wonder and uniqueness.

That Cerobi Steppe. I can't. Your fav game can't either. :tear

In terms of world design, I think FFXII most reminds me of Bloodborne when I'm looking at recently released titles. There are whole zones--massive, fully developed zones with unique monsters and music-- that you don't even have to explore but really contribute to the world and its sense of wonder and uniqueness.

Yeah, I feel like even in the face of their MMOs, XII stands up as the most fully-realized world in FF history, and it feels like a place I really wanted to spend more time, too.

I don't need an FFXII-2, but another "real" game set in Ivalice would be sweet.

It would be nice TBH if they would just spin Ivalice off into its own thing. A more mature, grounded fantasy series(theme and tone wise. I know Ivalice has lots of fantastical elements). A Game of Thrones to FF's Lord of the Rings so to speak.

But they did :p (aha not really)

Nerokis

12 does have a different approach, it is actually good. At least the first half. It combined a strong, mature story, with a solid execution.

10 had this nonsensical logic about death that ruins the drama and the plot moves at the most predictable, cliched way with a bunch of cliched characters taking us there filled with cliched story tropes and cliched scenarios. With poor dialogue and writing. One of the worst, most annoying and conveniently dumb protagonists in any FF(I mean how many times can they hint about Yuna's sacrifice and the guy just doesnt get it because it is convenient for the plot?). Which of course leads to a predictable ending with a cringe-worthy conclusion. It is convoluted and not in a complex or meaningful way but in a way that just adds twists as a substitution to quality story to keep players interested and compelled. Even if it requires characters to break logic or intentionally act dumb to set them up.

Like a lot of RPG stories the basic premise in 10 sounds interesting, even fascinating, but the execution is awful.

What makes it worse is the VA is pretty bad all around.

FFXII's approach isn't just "actually good," it's fundamentally different. The narrative almost plays sidekick to the world building, and the moment to moment storytelling has a more subtle forward momentum overall. FFX is like the opposite. It's a completely linear journey, and the world is opened up to you in very calculated doses. There's a huge difference in emphasis there.

And I felt both approaches were well executed. FFX's story is excellently paced, and as linear as it is, Spira still ends up feeling like a fantastic place. It never felt convoluted to me. Compared to other beloved games in the series, like IV, VII, and VIII, the twists and turns felt somewhere near the sweet spot between impactful and easy to absorb. I also enjoyed the characterization within the game. Tidus being a slightly annoying, naive, outgoing personality fit pretty well with the themes of the story, and his character development was successful in that it felt relatively natural. Yuna happens to probably be my favorite female protagonist in the series, as well. :p

FFX's faults don't really stand out to me much more than FFXII's. I love that FFXII has a more grounded, less heavy-handed story. It's not hard to see, though, that it had a conflicted development cycle. People concede that most every good thing they have to say about XII's story applies mostly to the first half, and then call it well executed. Now, it's easy enough to tolerate XII's shortcomings, and agree that overall it's a huge pleasure to go through the game. But the dip in quality is a big thing to overlook, and yet every perceived inconsistency in FFX's characterization was that jarring to you? In particular, Tidus being ignorant enough, naive enough, to not catch that Yuna would have to sacrifice herself wasn't that hard to believe. I think it's very clear that the developers were trying to tell a story about a naive young man suddenly finding himself in a new world, where this young woman's sacrifice would be one of the big revelations he has to deal with. If you have a critique of the way that was set up, it shouldn't be with the "convenience" of his ignorance, but maybe that Yuna's eventual sacrifice wasn't hidden in a way that was convincing to you.

Anyway, I'll bail from the FFX defense force now, seeing as we're straying from the part of the discussion that was relevant to FFXII. You gave a more detailed version of your opinion, so I decided I should, too. :)

Niks

yeah, pretty much this.

Prototype

Yeah, I feel like even in the face of their MMOs, XII stands up as the most fully-realized world in FF history, and it feels like a place I really wanted to spend more time, too.

I don't need an FFXII-2, but another "real" game set in Ivalice would be sweet.
I would love a Skies of Arcadia esque sequel to 12 starring Baltheir and Fran and flying around in an airship being a pirate. Would be so fun. Mostly, just to get to spend more time with them.

Meh3D

One of the issues I had with FF12 was wishing I actually had a tank character with guard earlier in the game. It annoyed the hell out of me because it felt like it was a cheap way to make the game harder.

I've only skimmed a few pages. Anyone else annoyed by that? Is it fixed in the international version? :-/

Jonm1010

Banned
FFXII's approach isn't just "actually good," it's fundamentally different. The narrative almost plays sidekick to the world building, and the moment to moment storytelling has a more subtle forward momentum overall. FFX is like the opposite. It's a completely linear journey, and the world is opened up to you in very calculated doses. There's a huge difference in emphasis there.

And I felt both approaches were well executed. FFX's story is excellently paced, and as linear as it is, Spira still ends up feeling like a fantastic place. It never felt convoluted to me. Compared to other beloved games in the series, like IV, VII, and VIII, the twists and turns felt somewhere near the sweet spot between impactful and easy to absorb. I also enjoyed the characterization within the game. Tidus being a slightly annoying, naive, outgoing personality fit pretty well with the themes of the story, and his character development was successful in that it felt relatively natural. Yuna happens to probably be my favorite female protagonist in the series, as well. :p

FFX's faults don't really stand out to me much more than FFXII's. I love that FFXII has a more grounded, less heavy-handed story. It's not hard to see, though, that it had a conflicted development cycle. People concede that most every good thing they have to say about XII's story applies mostly to the first half, and then call it well executed. Now, it's easy enough to tolerate XII's shortcomings, and agree that overall it's a huge pleasure to go through the game. But the dip in quality is a big thing to overlook, and yet every perceived inconsistency in FFX's characterization was that jarring to you? In particular, Tidus being ignorant enough, naive enough, to not catch that Yuna would have to sacrifice herself wasn't that hard to believe. I think it's very clear that the developers were trying to tell a story about a naive young man suddenly finding himself in a new world, where this young woman's sacrifice would be one of the big revelations he has to deal with. If you have a critique of the way that was set up, it shouldn't be with the "convenience" of his ignorance, but maybe that Yuna's eventual sacrifice wasn't hidden in a way that was convincing to you.

Anyway, I'll bail from the FFX defense force now, seeing as we're straying from the part of the discussion that was relevant to FFXII. You gave a more detailed version of your opinion, so I decided I should, too. :)

Ill keep this brief to no longer derail.

My issues with FF10, beyond the shallow characters and faulty world building, were the gymnastics of logic that take place in order to give the players constant "twists" and emotional moments. Its a very poor way to tell a story IMO. Half of the big reveals and twists could of and should of logically happened in the first 20 minutes Tidus meets various characters. The entire story is an exercise in plot and character convenience to keep the player interested and keep the themes going which means lots of "we had to keep this from you for reasons" type of moments. Even when many of those secrets and events don't make much logical sense. Leaving fans having to make up rationalizations to keep the illusion of believability going. The game also fails to address some of the glaring logical holes the game has. Of which a big one kinda makes Auron, the favorite of most, quite the fucking asshole. Thats not even going into the awfulness that was some of the filler side stories.

Pinky

Banned
It was only a matter of time, but still...

237.gif

Please happen! XII is one of my favorites.

And I have only one request...
Fix Vaan's abs

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I've wanted this all my life.

Literally since I was born in 1987. Don't ask how. It's true. Believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom