• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
I've wanted this all my life.

Literally since I was born in 1987. Don't ask how. It's true. Believe me.

And with the recent success of more mature fantasy themed games like Skyrim, Fallout and Witcher, you would think it would make sense for S/E to make a Mature rated FF esque series?

Seeing as you already have Ivalice and a fan base for it similar to how those series did before they successfully grew into more mainstream appeal, it seems like a logical route to go.

vareon

She absolutely is. She's looking for deifacted nethicite so she can blow away the Empire. The game shows us what nethicite can do to people (a portion of the Empire's entire fleet is destroyed instanteously), and we are TOLD what it did historically with Raithwall. The very climax of her character arc is her realization that she doesn't want to be Raithwall and doesn't want to be manipulated by the Occuria.

I've said this before, and I do believe it's true-- FFXII is a much, much meatier game than any previous Final Fantasy. The dungeons are massive. FFXII's main script (not counting ancillary dialogue, the bestiary, etc) might be thinner than FFX's, but because you're going to be spelunking in dungeons for 3 hours at a time, the pace of exposition feels much slower and therefore the player feels much less of it. There's a huge chunk of time-- the walk to Archades is my favorite example-- where very little "happens" in an expository sense. I mean, a ton happens from a gameplay sense and you see a ton of beautiful things and listen to amazing music-- but this isn't at all like FFX. Seriously, how many times in FFX do you get stopped on the freaking linear Mi'hen Highroad?

I LOVE both FFX and FFXII. They are genuinely wonderful games aiming for different things. I'm still able to hold in my head the idea that FFXII's story is not as fully developed or as proudly delivered as implied in the first 5-10 hours of the game...from the rush to save Raminas to Vayne's the-game-you-like-will-never-touch-this-game-ever-and-don't-even-argue speech in Rabanstre...while still thinking it's a highly satisfying tale that at very WORST loses focus and becomes pretty standard stuff like in every other FF.

The walk to Archades was what made it into my favorite FF. It was a long journey across many zones, countless of enemies... And then I feel so relieved when we finally arrive, even if through its backdoor.

I always thought FFXII was the most underrated of the FF series. It is one of my favorites however, alongside 7 and 4. Is it really going to be a remake, i.e. on the level of FFIV DS or a remaster like FFX? I'd be very surprised if it was the former. That's a lot of work for a game not seen as very popular. I'd expect it to be a remaster, which is more reasonable. It'll most likely be the International Edition, correct? What changes did they make in that version? Did they add a lot of new content and bosses like they did in the FFX international edition or was it just minor system changes?

And with the recent success of more mature fantasy themed games like Skyrim, Fallout and Witcher, you would think it would make sense for S/E to make a Mature rated FF esque series?

Seeing as you already have Ivalice and a fan base for it similar to how those series did before they successfully grew into more mainstream appeal, it seems like a logical route to go.

It makes you wonder what that "Fortress" FF12 spinoff could have been before it was cancelled.

jorgeton

Yass. Can't wait. Please fix camera controls and throw in a quicksave. The game has aged tremendously well except for a couple of QoL issues.

Would love for Matsuno to come back and work out new story scenes, but with the expanded job board from the zodiac edition I think that'll do.

For me that game took a dive toward the end bc I maxed out the characters job boards, so they were all essentially the same character at the end. More customization for the characters is always a good thing.

In terms of world design, I think FFXII most reminds me of Bloodborne when I'm looking at recently released titles. There are whole zones--massive, fully developed zones with unique monsters and music-- that you don't even have to explore but really contribute to the world and its sense of wonder and uniqueness.

That Cerobi Steppe. I can't. Your fav game can't either. :tear

YES. One of the best areas in the game is the Paramina Rift. It's got great atmosphere and "Seeking Power" that plays in the background totally slays.

http://youtu.be/6wzU706vNlA

Unf. This soundtrack. This GAME.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I kinda wish this much better protagonist was the main character for the whole game. His resolute and more serious nature gave me FF Tactics vibes. Vaan's happy go lucky attitude didn't really suit an Ivalice game, IMO.

652298Reks.jpg

I doubt this is a remake. They probably meant remaster. Color me pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, though.

Jonm1010

Banned
It makes you wonder what that "Fortress" FF12 spinoff could have been before it was cancelled.

Fuuuuccckkk. haha. I honestly almost wish I hadn't heard about this. This is like exactly what I was hoping they would do!

Hopefully they see Witcher, Elder Scrolls and Fallout and recognize if they can successfully build a mature action RPG from their Ivalice brand they have a real opportunity to build something successful.

I would much rather S/E go the route of having a team for their more mature RPG brand and another working on mainline FF. Instead of the make a mainline FF and then milk it for sequels crap.

Famassu

No Matsuno, no sale.
I'd understand this stance if this was some Tactics Ogre: LUCT type remake, but this will most likely just be a pretty straightforward HD remaster, so I don't quite see why Matsuno would have to be involved, especially when someone like Ito who handled it before could handle it again.

Anyone have a guess at when this may be officially announced? Is Gamescom too soon?
I'd venture a guess that TGS or Jump Festa are the more likely venues for the reveal of this. Gamescom will probably be mostly about Square Enix's western games as well as FFXV's huge blowout, TGS is probably more suitable for a FFXII HD remaster reveal.

Fuuuuccckkk. haha. I honestly almost wish I hadn't heard about this. This is like exactly what I was hoping they would do!

Hopefully they see Witcher, Elder Scrolls and Fallout and recognize if they can successfully build a mature action RPG from their Ivalice brand they have a real opportunity to build something successful.

I would much rather S/E go the route of having a team for their more mature RPG brand and another working on mainline FF. Instead of the make a mainline FF and then milk it for sequels crap.

They need to do something with Ivalice man. At least before we were getting Tactics Advance but now that well seems to have dried up. The world building and mythology around Ivalice is the best in the franchise and it's a shame Square has been sitting on it since Tactics Advance 2.

theofficefan99

She absolutely is. She's looking for deifacted nethicite so she can blow away the Empire. The game shows us what nethicite can do to people (a portion of the Empire's entire fleet is destroyed instanteously), and we are TOLD what it did historically with Raithwall. The very climax of her character arc is her realization that she doesn't want to be Raithwall and doesn't want to be manipulated by the Occuria.

I've said this before, and I do believe it's true-- FFXII is a much, much meatier game than any previous Final Fantasy. The dungeons are massive. FFXII's main script (not counting ancillary dialogue, the bestiary, etc) might be thinner than FFX's, but because you're going to be spelunking in dungeons for 3 hours at a time, the pace of exposition feels much slower and therefore the player feels much less of it. There's a huge chunk of time-- the walk to Archades is my favorite example-- where very little "happens" in an expository sense. I mean, a ton happens from a gameplay sense and you see a ton of beautiful things and listen to amazing music-- but this isn't at all like FFX. Seriously, how many times in FFX do you get stopped on the freaking linear Mi'hen Highroad?

I LOVE both FFX and FFXII. They are genuinely wonderful games aiming for different things. I'm still able to hold in my head the idea that FFXII's story is not as fully developed or as proudly delivered as implied in the first 5-10 hours of the game...from the rush to save Raminas to Vayne's the-game-you-like-will-never-touch-this-game-ever-and-don't-even-argue speech in Rabanstre...while still thinking it's a highly satisfying tale that at very WORST loses focus and becomes pretty standard stuff like in every other FF.

Okay. Ashe is basically acquiring power in order to defeat the enemy that wronged her and her kingdom. Not that exciting.

And yes, FFXII is a big game. Yes there is "so much to see" during that stretch, but it doesn't excuse the poor pacing.

tuxfool

Banned
I kinda wish this much better protagonist was the main character for the whole game. His resolute and more serious nature gave me FF Tactics vibes. Vaan's happy go lucky attitude didn't really suit an Ivalice game, IMO.

Vaan is barely the main character. The main characters get mostly equal attention.

ChanMan

652298Reks.jpg

I doubt this is a remake. They probably meant remaster. Color me pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, though.

Yeah I agree Reks seemed like a much better character than Vaan who I felt was the weakest character in that game.

Zetta

Just imagining all the Espers deathblows in HD has me hyped. I never played FFXII IZJS and was about to but now I can wait.

Anyone have a guess at when this may be officially announced? Is Gamescom too soon?

Possibly Gamescom, maybe TGS. I don't think anyone has any evidence though, all just creative guessing at this point.

Also, how did y'all play IZJS. Is it pretty simple to find a copy and get the English patch on it? I'd like to give the game another crack sometime....

tuxfool

Banned
Okay. Ashe is basically acquiring power in order to defeat the enemy that wronged her and her kingdom. Not that exciting.

You're looking at it in the most reductive way possible. It is possible to reduce the motivations (or lack thereof) of Hamlet or Henry V to similarly short description. Her actions matter less than the multiple conflicting motives that drive her to acquire power.

She feels powerless to help her Kingdom, has no army and is presumed dead. She seeks power to help her kingdom and to avenge the death of her fiancee, where the two motives come into conflict. She is initially willing to compromise her morals by becoming a puppet for the Occuria in return for the power to have her hearts desire, regardless of the ruin she could potentially bring to the world.

A decent story is more than simply an account of cause and effect, but rather the journey and the way the character develops across it. Her character is probably the one that sees the most change across the game.

Possibly Gamescom, maybe TGS. I don't think anyone has any evidence though, all just creative guessing at this point.

Also, how did y'all play IZJS. Is it pretty simple to find a copy and get the English patch on it? I'd like to give the game another crack sometime....

Yeah, I've been wondering about that as well.
If I were to replay the game, it has to be the IZJS version.

Vice

You can find a copy on ebay or Amazon for around $25 most of the time.

Johndoey

Banned

652298Reks.jpg

I wouldn't call Vaan happy-go-lucky the character is just kinda ignorant of the wider world and comes across as overly dense. I wonder if in some earlier version of the games plot Vaan was actually important to the story after the first few hours?

Famassu

Yeah I agree Reks seemed like a much better character than Vaan who I felt was the weakest character in that game.
That's mostly because Vaan wasn't really supposed to have a strong character in the game. He's not a totally personality-free mute MC like some DQ player character, but even then he's more of a witness to the events that unfold and kind of the newbie character you see the world through and not some huge driving force & central character in the story. He's given a role in the story and some kind of reason to be a part of the adventure, but there are other characters that are far more central to the events than Vaan.

I wouldn't call Vaan happy-go-lucky the character is just kinda ignorant of the wider world and comes across as overly dense. I wonder if in some earlier version of the games plot Vaan was actually important to the story after the first few hours?
AFAIK Vaan wasn't originally supposed to even be in the game. He was added relatively late because some higher-ups or marketing people thought that the game needed a young, pretty male as the marketed main character instead of Basch. Matsuno then added a somewhat unimportant-to-the-larger-picture character like Vaan into the story while keeping Basch and Ashe as the more important characters for the story.

Garlador

It's a long-shot, but do you think we could get some new duds for the main cast?

Vaan to me always seemed to be lacking something... and then Dissidia showed me what that something was.
Dissidia_012_Vaan_Second_Alt.png

A shirt!

... Oh, also agency in the plot, but I don't think that's going to get rectified unless it really IS a remake.

Arnie messes up sometimes though. At Distant Worlds Seattle a few weeks ago he said he was going to play a piece from one game and it ended up being another. Maybe he is just getting all the roman numerals confused.

ChanMan

I wonder that as well because he kind of fades to the background by the middle of the game.

tuxfool

Banned

Vaan wasn't meant to be the main character initially. That role was meant to go to Basch. Maybe they chose him as a framing device. A more experienced and well traveled person doesn't work as well at engaging the audience to an alien world.

I put main in italics, because his story is no more important than any of the other playable characters.

Turin

Banned
It's a long-shot, but do you think we could get some new duds for the main cast?

Vaan to me always seemed to be lacking something... and then Dissidia showed me what that something was.
Dissidia_012_Vaan_Second_Alt.png

A shirt!

... Oh, also agency in the plot, but I don't think that's going to get rectified unless it really IS a remake.

If they did a full remake, I'd want them to go back to the original plan of making Basch the protagonist.

Not saying kill off Vaan or anything......

Although I think FF's need to be more liberal with killing main characters.

Famassu

Yeah, some new duds for Vaan would be great. It would at least make him a little more tolerable. Maybe when I go back to it, I'll feel differently. But yeah, this....
sucks.

Especially when you have these badasses.
That laid-back sexy pose promotional shot makes Vaan looks worse than he actually is. His inward abs are a bit weird, but I don't think his design is all that problematic in-game. It's just the promo shot that looks like some male model shot that is kinda iffy & silly, but the in-game model looks like some FF/Japanese version of Aladdin. He's a pretty good character design, imho. Not as bawd-aaaazzzz as Basch & Balthier, but it's not like every character needs to be.

vareon

That laid-back sexy pose promotional shot makes Vaan looks worse than he actually is. His inward abs are a bit weird, but I don't think his design is all that problematic in-game. It's just the promo shot that looks like some male model shot that is kinda iffy & silly, but the in-game model looks like some FF/Japanese version of Aladdin. He's a pretty good character design, imho. Not as bawd-aaaazzzz as Basch & Balthier, but it's not like every character needs to be.

Yeah, that pic was the worst pic of Vaan, he looks ok in game.

However Basch and Ashe has some serious fashion challenges.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's mostly because Vaan wasn't really supposed to have a strong character in the game. He's not a totally personality-free mute MC like some DQ player character, but even then he's more of a witness to the events that unfold and kind of the newbie character you see the world through and not some huge driving force & central character in the story. He's given a role in the story and some kind of reason to be a part of the adventure, but there are other characters that are far more central to the events than Vaan.

AFAIK Vaan wasn't originally supposed to even be in the game. He was added relatively late because some higher-ups or marketing people thought that the game needed a young, pretty male as the marketed main character instead of Basch. Matsuno then added a somewhat unimportant-to-the-larger-picture character like Vaan into the story while keeping Basch and Ashe as the more important characters for the story.
I get the reasoning behind Vaan's unimportance and "otherness", but I feel like a stronger character (like Reks) who actually contributed to the plot would have just made for a more interesting story. The way Vaan was written was jarring and just not very entertaining.

Parsnip

A proper remake with Matsuno at the helm would be godlike.
FF12 is easily my favorite FF game, but I've always wondered how different Matsuno's full original vision was in the end.

But I'll take a remaster as well. Proper shadows for everything, increased draw distance and lod, higher fidelity dialogue etc etc would already go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom