• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Good gameplay, weak story and weak characters. Overrated overall

Every time somebody uses this I have to ask that they clarify their context for usage of that term.

I'll take the default position that you're using as a shorthand for justifying "I didn't like it".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Every time somebody uses this I have to ask that they clarify their context for usage of that term.

I'll take the default position that you're using as a shorthand for justifying "I didn't like it".

That's the case for everything ever.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
That's mostly because Vaan wasn't really supposed to have a strong character in the game. He's not a totally personality-free mute MC like some DQ player character, but even then he's more of a witness to the events that unfold and kind of the newbie character you see the world through and not some huge driving force & central character in the story. He's given a role in the story and some kind of reason to be a part of the adventure, but there are other characters that are far more central to the events than Vaan.

AFAIK Vaan wasn't originally supposed to even be in the game. He was added relatively late because some higher-ups or marketing people thought that the game needed a young, pretty male as the marketed main character instead of Basch. Matsuno then added a somewhat unimportant-to-the-larger-picture character like Vaan into the story while keeping Basch and Ashe as the more important characters for the story.
That's not the whole story. Matsuno intended for Vaan to grow into a man and become a sky pirate during the course of the game, while Watanabe, the writer who replaced him, decided to make Vaan only become a sky pirate at the end. So Vaan's character for the second half of the story was pretty much rewritten.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's not the whole story. Matsuno intended for Vaan to grow into a man and become a sky pirate during the course of the game, while Watanabe, the writer who replaced him, decided to make Vaan only become a sky pirate at the end. So Vaan's character for the second half of the story was pretty much rewritten.
More like written out.

It's a shame, though. He was pretty well characterized in Revenant Wings.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
More like written out.

Two party characters are sky pirates, and the other two are meant to become sky pirates. That's 4/6 of your party members, yet the whole plot only develops Ashe's/ Basch's side of the story. It feels like an entire narrative layer is missing.

Son Of D

I dunno if it is too much to ask that people just say "I didn't like it".

Bah. I shouldn't have engaged with such a quality post in the first place.

You have to remember that on the internet it's either the best thing ever and an example of how far games have come since Super Mario World or unspeakable garbage where people who like it are what's wrong with gaming.

Tears. Tears of joy. Please be on PS4 and the International version.

I'd say PS4 is guaranteed. Releasing a PS3 exclusive these days in the west is pretty much sending it out to die. It'll probably be PS4, PS3 and Vita.

tuxfool

Banned
You have to remember that on the internet it's either the best thing ever and an example of how far games have come since Super Mario World or unspeakable garbage where people who like it are what's wrong with gaming.

"Unspeakable Garbage" at least is an honest statement of a person's opinion. Couching it in non-statements of dubious applicability is the worst.

Three things a PS4 remaster of IZJS needs to become the perfect version of the game:

1) Job switching a la FF3j - basically, twelve license boards (one for each job) that you level up, plus the ability to consume a bunch of LP in order to switch a character from one job to another. Would give something to do with late-game LP while also avoiding the whole stupid "you done fucked up and picked the wrong jobs" issue.

2) Purely additive Espers - they should appear as a fourth party member (or as a fifth if you've got a guest), rather than replacing two of your party members. In the existing versions of the game, summoning an Esper makes you *weaker* because two party members are generally better than one Esper. PS4 doesn't have the PS2's RAM limitations, so make them purely additive so they're worth using.

3) A real new game+ where you keep all of the abilities and equipment you earned through the entire game but have your levels go back down to their original starting points.

Two party characters are sky pirates, and the other two are meant to become sky pirates. That's 4/6 of your party members, yet the whole plot only develops Ashe's/ Basch's side of the story. It feels like an entire narrative layer is missing.
I always felt like the whole 'become a sky pirate' was just coping device that Vaan used and served as a parallel to Ashe's own struggle with power because they both grow and come to their 'conclusion' together. When Vaan finally comes to terms with his brother, he even states that his sky pirate delusions of grandeur were just him 'running.' Which isn't to say it's not part of who is or ultimately what he wants to be, but the way he approached it was using it to distract and cope with his loss of his brother, in the same way Ashe coped with the loss of her husband. The both used some ideal of success or power (becoming a sky pirate, saving Dalmasca) to distract and cope, which they both essentially admit and conclude in... that tower near the end... Cataract or whatever. Ashe finally accepts no longer a need for vengeance and Vaan that he has no more need to stop running from his brother's death, pretending to be a sky pirate, and that the dead stay dead. They both realize they've been using those delusions of power to justify revenge, but they come to grips with their losses -- both finally accepting they do not need to avenge their loss.

Something like that, at least. I mean, obviously Vaan still wants to be a sky pirate and Ashe a leader, but their pursuit of those were really coping devices and when they come to terms with that, that's essentially their main form of characterization, and Vaan and Ashe are essentially parallels in this, especially they sort of begin to realize this at the Garif village and then come to terms with it when they speak with Gabranth at the Cataract.

1) Job switching a la FF3j - basically, twelve license boards (one for each job) that you level up, plus the ability to consume a bunch of LP in order to switch a character from one job to another. Would give something to do with late-game LP while also avoiding the whole stupid "you done fucked up and picked the wrong jobs" issue.

This is number one thing I want. Ideally, I think there should be an option to switch jobs/license boards when not in combat. For an update that makes so many changes for quality of life and ease of use, IZJS limiting jobs to a one time choice is unnecessarily cruel imo. Re-rolling Esper licenses would also be nice, though that was already an issue in vanilla.

jimmypython

This is number one thing I want. Ideally, I think there should be an option to switch jobs/license boards when not in combat. For an update that makes so many changes for quality of life and ease of use, IZJS limiting jobs to a one time choice is unnecessarily cruel imo. Re-rolling Esper licenses would also be nice, though that was already an issue in vanilla.

Yep this is also my No.1 wish.

I think Ito once said he wanted to do job switching but the dev team was too small to do that.

Hopefully this remaster/remake is Ito's warm up run

Johndoey

Banned
Vaan wasn't meant to be the main character initially. That role was meant to go to Basch. Maybe they chose him as a framing device. A more experienced and well traveled person doesn't work as well at engaging the audience to an alien world.

I put main in italics, because his story is no more important than any of the other playable characters.

I consider his story resolved as soon as Bosch explains himself honestly, It really is too bad the character is so superfluous I remember liking him. But Penelo doesn't really even have a reason for existing as far as I remember.

It's a long-shot, but do you think we could get some new duds for the main cast?

Vaan to me always seemed to be lacking something... and then Dissidia showed me what that something was.
Dissidia_012_Vaan_Second_Alt.png

A shirt!

... Oh, also agency in the plot, but I don't think that's going to get rectified unless it really IS a remake.

It is truly, truly astounding how much better the character looks with the minor change of a goddamn shirt.

Prototype

Three things a PS4 remaster of IZJS needs to become the perfect version of the game:

So much this.

I don't think many people have actually played IZJS while many of the improvements are indeed welcome, being stuck to 1 job and quickly maxing it out is really lame. Being able to switch jobs would instantly fix this.

I'd understand this stance if this was some Tactics Ogre: LUCT type remake, but this will most likely just be a pretty straightforward HD remaster, so I don't quite see why Matsuno would have to be involved, especially when someone like Ito who handled it before could handle it again.

I'd venture a guess that TGS or Jump Festa are the more likely venues for the reveal of this. Gamescom will probably be mostly about Square Enix's western games as well as FFXV's huge blowout, TGS is probably more suitable for a FFXII HD remaster reveal.

It was about the remake talk.

Also, we have no confirmation Ito's been let out of his cage, sadly.

The game would have never come out in the first place had Matsuno stayed on the team anyway.

Hmmmm. Now these posts make sense...

_Nemo

Just don't fuck up the faces like you did with FFX please. It would also be nice if you didn't outsource it to some Chinese 3rd party company.

MAtgS

More like written out.

OK I didn't get that far into RW, but the former freedom fighter made a bangaa his slave at 1 point. it was a bit if a leap in characterization to me.

I'll gladly take either a full-on remake or an up-rez of the original PS2 assets. I still have the game, but not a PS2 and I haven't had ideal results with emulation on my PC.

Aquillion

You can argue the story has poor pacing and ends up being a bit of a whimper, but the characters are far from weak. FFXII has some of the best written FF characters around.
And also Vaan and Penelo!

(Seriously, not joking at all, the best thing a remake could do would be to just cut their characters entirely.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I consider his story resolved as soon as Bosch explains himself honestly, It really is too bad the character is so superfluous I remember liking him. But Penelo doesn't really even have a reason for existing as far as I remember.

The only thing I remember her doing that was relevant to the plot was getting kidnapped and meeting Larsa. Other than that I don't remember her presence ever mattering at all, outside filling a slot in the party during combat.

theofficefan99

Wait, people are actually hoping that it's a remake?

Guys, come on. It's incredibly obvious that, if anything, it's a remaster. Meaning that, no, Vaan will not get a clothing change, no, Basch will not become the main character, and no to whatever other changes you're hoping for.

If anything it's IZJS with a remastered soundtrack. Maybe a couple of extras.

Aquillion

Guys, come on. It's incredibly obvious that, if anything, it's a remaster. Meaning that, no, Vaan will not get a clothing change, no, Basch will not become the main character, and no to whatever other changes you're hoping for.

Or maybe someone will get confused and they will accidentally remake FFIX instead.

(Seriously, though, FFIX needs a PC version.)

Jebral

I was a little weird with FF XII. Turns out the original was just weird, haha. When I revisited the IZJS version, it really clicked a lot more. I always put the battle system on wait so that everything stops when I open the menu. I think it's the best pause and play experience on a controller, personally. Would get a Steam version in a second.

That's all I need! Day 1 purchase.

Fuuuuccckkk. haha. I honestly almost wish I hadn't heard about this. This is like exactly what I was hoping they would do!

Hopefully they see Witcher, Elder Scrolls and Fallout and recognize if they can successfully build a mature action RPG from their Ivalice brand they have a real opportunity to build something successful.

I would much rather S/E go the route of having a team for their more mature RPG brand and another working on mainline FF. Instead of the make a mainline FF and then milk it for sequels crap.

Yeah, Fortress had a lot of potential IMO. Have you seen this thread? The boss battle concept they had for the giant Marlboro was awesome:

"Boss Creature Mockup"

This huge creature was a very early mockup of one of the game's bosses. At first one of the arms would attack the player from beneath the ground and the player would think that the enemy is some kind of snake monster. As more arms would emerge the situation would become worse and finally the boss would rip up the wall to reveal it's gigantic gaping mouth and start to eat the unfortunate ones caught in the arms.

One of the suggestions to take down this monster was that the player would be required to mount up and ride close to the seaweed hanging from the back of the creature to jump and climb atop it. Up there the paler would drop bombs into the many holes the creature had upon it's back while fighting of the creatures that are in fact living inside this huge beast.
jL7jw3K.jpg

The chapter outline had such events as "Friendship Duel", "Assassination", etc. What could have been :(

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Now I'm even more confused
It means what most people suspected it to be: the word "remake" was probably used in place of "remaster", which is what FFXII:HD might truly be.

Nonetheless, just imagine a HD remaster of the Zodiac Version with a remastered Sakimoto soundtrack. Yummy.

Well, that was expected. Why would they remake 12 when the are arguably remaking a better game in FF7?

All they need to do is buff the music and the graphics, add trophy support, and its a instant classic.

BumRush

I feel like it just has to be a remaster. HD visuals, updated soundtrack, IZJS, etc.

Honestly I'd prefer that to a remake anyway. A remake wouldn't come out until 2020 while a remaster could theoretically come out Q4 15 or Q1 16.

Also, XII is probably behind VII, VI, IX, V and VIII in games that should get a remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom