• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew124

Technically he is saying that he mistakenly used the word "remake" to refer to "new concert arrangements of music from FINAL FANTASY XII", but in context it is obvious that a remaster is basically confirmed since he mentioned the FFVII remake onstage just before talking about FFXII "remake".

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I was the one who posted the way he announced it from the stage at the start of Distant Worlds, and it was clear that he was referring to the game and not a soundtrack/individual tracks from the game. I mean, the quote I posted can even be extended further, as I just put in the main portion (trying to get his words as close as possible, but there may something here or there that I left out):

"And I'm sure you've all heard the big news... Final Fantasy 7 remake!

We're all very excited. I kept begging Square Enix, how about by the end of this year?

They said, 'Maybe Arnie-san, maybe, maybe.' So I think it will be later. (laughs)

And! There's a Final Fantasy 12 remake underway as well.

That's coming out soon.

And of course we can't wait for Final Fantasy 15, coming out soon.

It's very important that we have a special guest with us in the Pittsburgh Symphony in beautiful Heinz Hall, so we brought with us, and this is his first time this year to America, he joined us in Los Angeles a few months ago during the E3 convention, and this will be the second time that he's appeared with us in Distant Worlds in America. Please welcome the composer of Final Fantasy XII.. Hitoshi Sakimoto!

So I thought it's only fitting the next piece we should play come from Final Fantasy XII, so we'll be playing the beautiful Dalmasca Estersand. But before that, we always like to play this tune at the start of each concert."

That's when they went into the Victory Theme, and transitioned into the Dalmasca Estersand.

KZObsessed

The question is what is gonna be included with the FFXII remaster. Final Fantasy Tactics? Revenant wings? Cause Sony doesn't normally allow a remaster of just one PS2 game do they?
Suppose they could make an exception but a full Ivalice package would be great.

Logash

The question is what is gonna be included with the FFXII remaster. Final Fantasy Tactics? Revenant wings? Cause Sony doesn't normally allow a remaster of just one PS2 game do they?

War of the Lions on PS4 would change my life.

Arkeband

Banned

I don't think they're particularly forced to include another game, and Revenant Wings was garbage and would make no sense unless it was literally remade, not just remastered.

A remastered FFXII with some additional content, balance improvements, possibly re-done voice acting, trophies, and whatnot priced at $39.99 with a $49.99 "limited edition" would probably sell like fucking hotcakes.

Yep, the fact he only took back the word "remake" which was incorrect and as it hasn't been officially announced yet, they haven't rebuked a remaster at all.

Also makes sense For Sakimoto's extreme hesitency when asked straight up about it in the Meet n Greet!

BumRush

Oh maaaan :(

Why did you even suggest this?

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I was the one who posted the way he announced it from the stage at the start of Distant Worlds, and it was clear that he was referring to the game and not a soundtrack/individual tracks from the game. I mean, the quote I posted can even be extended further, as I just put in the main portion (trying to get his words as close as possible, but there may something here or there that I left out):

"And I'm sure you've all heard the big news... Final Fantasy 7 remake!

We're all very excited. I kept begging Square Enix, how about by the end of this year?

They said, 'Maybe Arnie-san, maybe, maybe.' So I think it will be later. (laughs)

And! There's a Final Fantasy 12 remake underway as well.

That's coming out soon.

And of course we can't wait for Final Fantasy 15, coming out soon.

It's very important that we have a special guest with us in the Pittsburgh Symphony in beautiful Heinz Hall, so we brought with us, and this is his first time this year to America, he joined us in Los Angeles a few months ago during the E3 convention, and this will be the second time that he's appeared with us in Distant Worlds in America. Please welcome the composer of Final Fantasy XII.. Hitoshi Sakimoto!

So I thought it's only fitting the next piece we should play come from Final Fantasy XII, so we'll be playing the beautiful Dalmasca Estersand. But before that, we always like to play this tune at the start of each concert."

That's when they went into the Victory Theme, and transitioned into the Dalmasca Estersand.

Thanks for posting this. As far as I'm concerned, this is it completely clarified, we're going back to Ivalice. :)

Can't wait to not bother with Yiazmat again because life's too short.

Pejo

I was working on my gaming PC all day yesterday, so this is my first chance to comment on this news. And I guess all I have to say is: HELL YES, please be true! I hope they don't redo the voice acting, but maybe give us the uncompressed audio. I would love to try out the IZJS too, so I hope that's in the remaster, along with some new content.

I'd also buy as just a straight up HD port, not even ashamed to say it. Love this game!

ChanMan

You're not helping..

flohen95

I've heard Sony is skipping Gamescom this year because they have their own thing elsewhere. Is it true?

They aren't skipping gamescom - they are in attendance and will have their booth as always - they won't be holding a press conference is all.
I think they based this on the dates for E3 and gamescom being relatively close to each other. The conference will be replaced by one at the Paris Games Week later this year, which is probably the "their own thing" you heard about.

Se'kami

Neo Member
I find it funny how evasive Arnie was in that statement. So he's not denying anything, just saying that remake was the wrong term to use...

So by saying that, he's pretty much telling us that something is indeed happening with FFXII. :D

Son Of D

I feel that if they added a second game Tactics: War of the Lions will be the second one. Probably the easiest to remaster since they have HD assets from the iOS release they can re-use.

Arnie didn't really deny the existence of FFXII Remaster. Either the "mistake" he was referring to was incorrectly coining "remake" or that he was not supposed to talk about FFXII Remaster.

mieumieu

I think the remaster collection rules may have changed this gen with those PS3 gen remasters like Sleeping Dogs or God of War.

FFXII is a good-looking game with emulator and the graphics is not outdated one bit. Just use the highest LOD model and clean up the textures a bit it will look fantastic on PS4.

God of War 3 Remaster would indicate otherwise, though it is more the exception than the rule, it certainly doesn't strengthen the case.

Ah, yes, then I could re-experience the explosive, violent hatred I felt/feel toward Delita on the PS4. Maybe I'll break a controller for the first time in my life :D.

lol so true. Nothing like failing a "Protect this character" mission before you even get a single turn.

Ahh, good times. *headdesk*

They aren't skipping gamescom - they are in attendance and will have their booth as always - they won't be holding a press conference is all.
I think they based this on the dates for E3 and gamescom being relatively close to each other. The conference will be replaced by one at the Paris Games Week later this year, which is probably the "their own thing" you heard about.

Ah, yes. That's it. Thanks.

lol so true. Nothing like failing a "Protect this character" mission before you even get a single turn.

Oh, no, nothing to do with actual gameplay. I want to murder him with my bare hands because of his personality and actions throughout the story.

du7y

Riovannes-battlefield3.jpg

Best mission.

Wulfric

That Distant Worlds facebook post just makes things more suspect. The only thing he takes back is the word "remake", but Roth doesn't explain further. Sounds like a case of Square PR telling him "That's incorrect, and don't say another word about this".

Did they avoid the topic during the meet and greet session? It's gotta be embarrassing to announce a project you're excited about and have the PR guy tell you to cut it out.

Shifty1897

All I want is HD FFXII on PS4 with Zodiac Job System. Don't need anything else.

If you want to charge me $60 for it, fine. If you want to charge $40, awesome. Either way it's getting bought day one.

Final Fantasy XII HD
Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System HD

There we go. Solve the problem with a technicality. The best kind of problem solving.

Brew124

Did they avoid the topic during the meet and greet session? It's gotta be embarrassing to announce a project you're excited about and have the PR guy tell you to cut it out.

Yes they did. I remember someone had posted a photo with Sakimoto from the crowd and had said how Sakimoto apologized and said he couldn't talk about it. And during the meet and greet, I did bring it up, but they were very tight lipped about it and wouldn't say anything more than was already said.

What's the difference between a PS2 game being remastered and a PS3 game being ported as a 'definitive edition'?

I can't see them keeping that policy in place.

You might be thinking of the rule that Sony had during the PSP era where they didn't allow straight ports of PS1 games to be sold as standalone retail games without new content added?

Nah they had that policy for the PS3. See: Okami HD being digital only in NA/EU.

specdot

I don't think they're particularly forced to include another game, and Revenant Wings was garbage and would make no sense unless it was literally remade, not just remastered.

A remastered FFXII with some additional content, balance improvements, possibly re-done voice acting, trophies, and whatnot priced at $39.99 with a $49.99 "limited edition" would probably sell like fucking hotcakes.
umm...wut? Final Fantasy 12 has possibly the best voice acting out of all the Final Fantasy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom