• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PS4/Xbox One (no Vita), Agito coming too (iOS/And)

lel
lelawkward.png

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/477127387541676032

300ccadb_05-The-Rock.gif

CamHostage

It likely will. Tabata has been assigned to FFXV, but Type-0 is his baby. He said that a console release would require an extensive reworking of the game, so unless Square Enix is going cheapo, he'll probably have to work on Type-0 HD.

I'd completely expect a third-party developer to be doing the port.

(And it'd be nice to know who that developer was if there's going to be any hope for this #novitanobuy thing, if it's a developer that chops out Vita games semi-regularly and works with familiar middleware then it's much easier to demand a larger scope.)

KtSlime

Only if you want it to be?

I did, back at launch. Played through alongside a girl on Livejournal who was doing really rough translations & moaning about things. I remember meeting Magius around that time too on Gamefaqs.

I plan on picking up the PS4 version too, and I'll probably even play Agito. Orience is easily my favourite world in the FF universe, and I can't wait to visit it again, especially now I'm actually able to understand all the nuances, not just read half conversations from a girl off Livejournal XD

Cool, yeah, my Japanese reading skills aren't perfect, but I stumbled through it.

I bought a copy just to play Type-0 on my Vita.

This game has tons of replay value, though, so I'm looking forward to playing it again. :)

Also, the fan translation was supposed to come out in August. This would have already been announced if everything had gone as planned.

Glad to hear people actually bought the game. It seems to me that there are a number of people playing it yet still doing the #novitanobuy posts, which to me just seems obnoxious.

Petitions work.

Who made this? Why the hell do we need 200k signatures? Fuck, 20k would've been feasible.

It's 200,000 because this website for creating petitions is about real problems, not kids who don't get what they want on Christmas.

As to the translation project, people shouldn't feel bad for them, they got their work out there, and they got to practice their translation skills, which is really what such a project is about. Attempting to usurp SE's own translations would be a stupid and fruitless goal.

Skilletor

Glad to hear people actually bought the game. It seems to me that there are a number of people playing it yet still doing the #novitanobuy posts, which to me just seems obnoxious.

Yeah, I just wanted to play it. I am fucking SHOCKED at how expansive the movelist is for all of these characters. It feels like a more grounded Dissidia. It's REALLY good. I do think it is obvious how this was built for portables, and I wonder how it will work for PS4/XB1, but this is definitely one of the better FFs, and I plan on buying it again.

Eight for the win.

KtSlime

Yeah, I just wanted to play it. I am fucking SHOCKED at how expansive the movelist is for all of these characters. It feels like a more grounded Dissidia. It's REALLY good. I do think it is obvious how this was built for portables, and I wonder how it will work for PS4/XB1, but this is definitely one of the better FFs, and I plan on buying it again.

Eight for the win.

Cater, Eight, and Queen are my go to team, so light and quick. It really is tuned for portables, I wonder what they could do. They could probably change the tuning so the enemies have more hit points and extend the chained battles. Probably something as simple as changing the timing between missions by adding more time between them for side-quests could also help.

MrDenny

I'd completely expect a third-party developer to be doing the port.

(And it'd be nice to know who that developer was if there's going to be any hope for this #novitanobuy thing, if it's a developer that chops out Vita games semi-regularly and works with familiar middleware then it's much easier to demand a larger scope.)

Yup, wasn't the ffx hd remaster done by a team in shanghai?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just fix the RTS battles Square. Although I'm hoping they collab with Tecmo Koei and remaster Type 0 into a dynamic story driven Musou game.

I'm actually happy this is coming to PS4 instead if just being a Vita port. The reason? I played the HD remasters of Square's games (KH and FFX/X-2). Unlike, say, the Devil May Cry HD collection, which looks rather dated and is a weird mishmash of new (high-res, widescreen, silky-smooth frame rate) and old (horrible menu screens which aren't even widescreen, the use of old assets designed for SD TVs), the Square remasters actually have all-new textures on a LOT of stuff, everything looks clean and cohesive, everything 'matches.'

If they take the same care with Type-0 as they have with their previous HD remasters, it will be glorious!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
People complaining about the lack of a PS VITA version are something I don't get. If anything people SHOULD rejoice for the lack of a PS VITA version. This – together with the only screenshot for now officially published – highly implies that the game could receive a boost in graphics that a VITA could not run properly thanks to PS4 and ONE versions.

I ask fans,
isn't it better to have a game on par with current gen games instead of a crappy 20fps port for a dead system? A PS VITA version could limit the potential of the next-gen ver. itself, unless they decides to develop two different versions but that's unrealistic with the little non-existent FF base on VITA. It's simply not worth.

S-E took the best decision they could, for once. With one single move they'll achieve: 1) building a FF fanbase on PS4 2) resurrecting Type-0 brand for future sequels on a main system that sells great in the West 3) releasing with less efforts a "main FF" by simply "remaking" one that didn't make it here, thus presenting it as a "full next-gen FF" that probably didn't take more than 1.5 yrs-2 yrs to make in contrast with a XV or a future XVI that requires way more. And Tabata can also make his own "console" jRPG he always wanted to make. His true version of Type-0.

I Love Square Enix.

Valkyria

Banned
People complaining about the lack of a PS VITA version are something I don't get. If anything people SHOULD rejoice for the lack of a PS VITA version. This – together with the only screenshot for now officially published – highly implies that the game could receive a boost in graphics that a VITA could not run properly thanks to PS4 and ONE versions.

I ask fans,
isn't it better to have a game on par with current gen games instead of a crappy 20fps port for a dead system? A PS VITA version could limit the potential of the next-gen ver. itself, unless they decides to develop two different versions but that's unrealistic with the little non-existent FF base on VITA. It's simply not worth.

S-E took the best decision they could, for once. With one single move they'll achieve: 1) building a FF fanbase on PS4 2) resurrecting Type-0 brand for future sequels on a main system that sells great in the West 3) releasing with less efforts a "main FF" by simply "remaking" one that didn't make it here, thus presenting it as a "full next-gen FF" that probably didn't take more than 1.5 yrs-2 yrs to make in contrast with a XV or a future XVI that requires way more. And Tabata can also make his own "console" jRPG he always wanted to make. His true version of Type-0.

I Love Square Enix.

Sure, sure, they are gonna rebuild the game from scrap to make good use of the PS4 capabilities.

UberTag

Square Enix could announce tomorrow that they were delaying FFXV until the year 2018 in favor of a PS4 HD remaster of the Lightning games and Perfo would praise them to the high heavens for their infinite wisdom.

Shinta

Banned
Sure, sure, they are gonna rebuild the game from scrap to make good use of the PS4 capabilities.

Of course they will. The level design alone almost makes this inevitable. The size of the areas that are loaded in the PSP version are extremely small, and separated by frequent load screens. Everything from enemy count, to controls, to the way the levels are designed would have to get significant altering to be fitting for console play on a large TV.

Of course they will. The level design alone almost makes this inevitable. The size of the areas that are loaded in the PSP version are extremely small, and separated by frequent load screens. Everything from enemy count, to controls, to the way the levels are designed would have to get significant altering to be fitting for console play on a large TV.

I will assume you're right. We really need clarification on improvements outside of graphics asap lol.

Perfo

One of the announced eng voice actors also hinted at a possible late-year release for it, probably ending up being a Q1 2015. That said people thinking this project just started lately is wrong, unless it's really just an HD port but again, from the screen we got, its graphics are on par if not better than XIII so, if it's indeed a remake, development could've started at least 1 yr ago.

Perfo

Well if Kagari is right and SE aren't putting much effort into the HD port then at least that means we won't be waiting as long as we did for FFX/X-2 HD.

Kagari tends to be always a bit harsh towards everything involving S-E, but if that single screenshot is anything to go by, this is definitely not a low-effort port. If anything, looks an even more serious effort than FFX and KH HD collections. They're remaking its entire graphics from scratch. This also justifies its absence on PS VITA consoles.

Falk

that puzzling face
For one, Kagari likes FFXIV. Just because you don't doesn't mean you get to ignore her opinion on it and cherry pick what you like to see.

For two, we don't know how much is going to be as is, how much is going to be brought over from iOS Agito, and how much is going to be remade. Going off a single screenshot isn't a good idea, especially not in the era of bullshots or CGI intros on remakes (see: NES/SNES era FF remakes).

Now granted, that one shot we have doesn't exactly look like CGI, but yeah, I think you're viewing this with a really, really obvious skew.

Pachimari

Have I misunderstood something?

Aren't we getting both Type-0 HD for PS4 and Xbox One, and Agito for Android and iOS in the West?

Or are they combining the two games into one?

linkboy

OH MY DIDDY!!! I was about to play the PSP translation but I'll wait for this.

I'm probably going to get the PS4 version, but I'm still playing the PSP translation (for one, I imported the game, might as well get my money's worth out of it and it's the main reason why I modded my Vita, it's a PSP 4000 for me).

Rand6

A PS VITA version could limit the potential of the next-gen ver. itself, unless they decides to develop two different versions but that's unrealistic with the little non-existent FF base on VITA. It's simply not worth.

What are you talking about? The game already run on Vita, and Vita owners are OK with the PSP version of Type-0.
And according to Kagari, don't expect a lot of works on this remake for PS4/Xbox One.

Perfo

What are you talking about? The game already run on Vita, and Vita owners are OK with the PSP version of Type-0.

The FF fanbase owning a VITA is probably not more than 000.1 % of the fanbase itself that we know lies mostly on home-consoles, at least here in the west. After two years of wait how could you expect them to release a game so important for S-E to launch it dead on a dead system like VITA or PSP I don't know. We're in the PS4/ONE generation, everything in these last months (and more in the incoming months) will be ONLY about these two consoles in the West (E3 made this clear, didn't?). And S-E needs strong titles to join the party, Type-0 is the best chance for them (a good FF, on a current-gen console, remade to look at least appealing compared to other mid-range games on the same system) to get some attention while delaying the endless development of the other true FF sequel, XV.

I tell you what they'll do: remodel Type-0 on PS4/ONE to look at least like XIII/XIII-2, sell it as a main FF worldwide (1ml copies or more to sell), build up hype for the incoming XV, gaining trust back with an actually good FF/remake/port.

But no....
better a crappy port on VITA for those 000.1 raged owners that to begin with bought a console in which an FF have NEVER been announced from start (edit. well except FF X HD that is). Yet they claim it was destined to run there... why lol?

Somnid

Huh, I must have missed this. Not just missing Vita is surprising but also 360 and PS3. Since it's current gen multi-plat I'd assume no deals were struck so I figured they'd do other existing consoles too. Oh well, who knows what SE is doing anymore but at least it's good to see it coming. I really do want to play it.

I think you need more zeroes to emphasize your non-point. Try 000000000000000000000000000000.1%

Lol

Again, after playing this game a little on the PSP, I am REALLY curious how they'll translate it to current gen consoles. The game is absolutely made and structured for a portable console. They'd have to do a lot more than improve the graphics to make this game work on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Perfo, have you played it?

RalchAC

I ask fans,

I Love Square Enix.

1.- People is complaining because we got trolled by Square Enix. It's not just that the game isn't on the system.
2.- The game potential is already limited by it's origin as a PSP game. Why would a Vita version limit it? Do you think they're going to change the core of the game because they are on a system that is insanely more powerful? The PS3 version of FFX doesn't run worse because there is a Vita version.
3.- Why do you think the fanbase isn't there? Final Fantasy X Collection sold quite well last time I checked.
4.- Type-0 is not a mainline FF game. Even if it's supposed to be better than the XIII Trilogy.
5.- Don't get to excited. This is not a "Director's Cut" but the same game. Kagari has already said it.

I think putting that "HD" subtitle is not that smart IMO. They should have just called it Type-0 or Agito for the West (it'd sound like a brand new game), instead of making it seem "just another port".

MechaX

People complaining about the lack of a PS VITA version are something I don't get.

Oh hey, Perfo is actually being somewhat of sensible for once. The lack of a PS Vita version does suck, but given the severe lack of software and hardware sales on the Vita in the West, there is at least a possibility that it would still sell just as much on PS4/One (especially given their stronger hardware sales) and would take less effort than trying to optimize a Vita port.

Of course, that does nothing to alleviate the fact that fans of the game are going to have to get dragged into the current gen systems probably sooner than anticipated if they want to play this officially, and that is also a downer.

Let's see what the rest of his post says:

If anything people SHOULD rejoice for the lack of a PS VITA version. This – together with the only screenshot for now officially published – highly implies that the game could receive a boost in graphics that a VITA could not run properly thanks to PS4 and ONE versions.

I ask fans,

I Love Square Enix.

Oh Goddamnit.

The FF fanbase owning a VITA is probably not more than 000.1 % of the fanbase itself that we know lies mostly on home-consoles, at least here in the west. After two years of wait how could you expect them to release a game so important for S-E to launch it dead on a dead system like VITA or PSP I don't know. We're in the PS4/ONE generation, everything in these last months (and more in the incoming months) will be ONLY about these two consoles in the West (E3 made this clear, didn't?). And S-E needs strong titles to join the party, Type-0 is the best chance for them (a good FF, on a current-gen console, remade to look at least appealing compared to other mid-range games on the same system) to get some attention while delaying the endless development of the other true FF sequel, XV.

I tell you what they'll do: remodel Type-0 on PS4/ONE to look at least like XIII/XIII-2, sell it as a main FF worldwide (1ml copies or more to sell), build up hype for the incoming XV, gaining trust back with an actually good FF/remake/port.

But no....
better a crappy port on VITA for those 000.1 raged owners that to begin with bought a console in which an FF have NEVER been announced from start. Yet they claim it was destined to run there... why lol?

ROFL

1. It's the Vita fanbase that made this localization happen thanks to the jrpg campaign. Otherwise SE had no reason to port a near 4 year old game to next gen systems.
2. "a game so important for S-E" A near 4 year old PSP game is Square's last hope, ok.
3. "remodel Type-0 on PS4/ONE to look at least like XIII/XIII-2" haha no, unless they spend the last 4 years completely remaking a PSP game to look like FFXIII, never.
Kagari also said not to expect big changes. This port is likely not been in development for more than a year, corresponding to the time when JRPG Vita campaign started and people started negging SE about Type-0.
4. Vita "dead system" except that Vita would likely outsell both systems thanks to not only its install base in Japan but it's Western fans constantly getting RPGs and more Japanese stuff.

Whoever created the poll has edited it so it's now a 5k goal. It's crossed 1k signatures at the moment.

Sweet, we might actually reach the goal now.

Rhaegar

Even if SE is for some reason pinning their early hopes for the PS4/XB1 on this port, I still don't understand why they can't just release the PSP version with the new translation digitally on the Vita.

They'd still make some money from the hardcore JRPG fans on the Vita at minimal financial risk while not cannabilizing sales for the HD remaster (assuming the Vita ownership is really that miniscule compared to the consoles).

Top Bottom