• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Gvaz

Banned
She's actually a very strong female character.

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

She's like JC Denton, a flat monotone board where nothing interesting happens with her.

Maybe this is changed in lightning returns, this is going off 13 and 13-2

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Her character is a faux badass. They tried too hard to make her 'cool' without giving her anything else with actual depth or nuance. She's an empty vessel who is hyped up to be something she isnt, which is an actual character. FF13-2 and FF13-3 reinforced this.

In Lighting returns you literally have to customize her because she doesn't have her own personality to begin with.

Also PC gamers just a note. Lighting, Fang, Hope. Use them throughout 13 and you'll have the easiest time. Ravager, Commando, Medic, then Commando Sabatoeur, Ravager, then Ravager, Commando Ravager, and then Commando, Protector Medic

OmegaDL50

Being strong is one thing but her abrasive personality makes her simply unappealing. Toriyama had so much opportunity to let her grow from that but it's ultimately wasted upon.

Then again I never cared for that sort of archetype anyways that seems to always be closed off from everyone else and is only friendly to a select few.

Authors who generally make these sorts of characters try to make them look mature and mysterious but ultimately result in someone seems to be constantly cold and stand offish.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Being strong is one thing but her abrasive personality makes her simply unappealing. Toriyama had so much opportunity to let her grow from that but it's ultimately wasted upon.

Then again I never cared for that sort of archetype anyways that seems to always be closed off from everyone else and is only friendly to a select few.

Authors who generally make these sorts of characters try to make them look mature and mysterious but ultimately result in someone seems to be constantly cold and stand offish.

She's probably more for a modern audience too. When I saw her on the cover of XIII-2 I thought she had just been taken over by Valkyrie Profile, but I still need to get LR.

She's nice, i even liked her more than Yuna.

She's probably more hands on than Yuna is.

In XIII, she seems to be living in a constant state of being sick of everyone's shit. I can emphasize with that.

Yea I don't get what people don't realize about that.

She acts distant and disinterested because she has to deal with Snow all day long. That's enough to make anyone zone out of reality 24/7.

I mean she literally hates him and dislikes pretty much everyone else except Sara and Hope somewhat. Funny enough I felt the same way. (But Fang is awesome and always will be)

Yea I don't get what people don't realize about that.

She acts distant and disinterested because she has to deal with Snow all day long. That's enough to make anyone zone out of reality 24/7.

I mean she literally hates him and dislikes pretty much everyone else except Sara and Hope somewhat. Funny enough I felt the same way. (But Fang is awesome and always will be)

I'm playing through it again on PS3. What I bolded is only true for a time in the first game.

I think the characters are actually quite weak except for Sahz and his motivation.

royox

In XIII, she seems to be living in a constant state of being sick of everyone's shit. I can emphasize with that.

FFXIII: I MUST save my sister, at all cost.
5 minutes later: My sister is dead.

I have a sister, I understand why Lightning is pissed the whole game.

Raitningz

Actually Lightning's character arc is a lot about being alone and shutting people out, while the theme of the story is defying fate together as a family of sorts.

Lightning's afraid to be lonely deep inside, afraid to be weak. She's not strong, really, she compensates for what she lacks with a strong front. That's why she's not Claire. She wants to be strong for the people around her, but she's actually very scared. That's bravery.

At Square Enix they have a poster of her with the Japanese words "Yuki" overlayed. Yu Ki means courage, bravery. Facing your fears is courage. That's what she represents. She doesn't trust anyone, she wants to take care of everyone. She's annoyed when people care for her, because she's afraid to accept help from others. Anybody who thinks she's just stoic, strong, independent, badass and doesn't need anybody didn't really get it personally.

She's pretty grey, too, doesn't have a very clear cut morality, though she's somewhat altruistic. Her personality reflects pretty well in Dissidia too.

Also, her design is fantastic. Can you just look at how so, so very beautiful she is? Her eyes are the perfect hue of blue, gaze into them and you'd see the beauty of the most gorgeous seas in the world. Her wispy, rose-colored hair, fringe draping between her eyes, complimenting her well-curved eyebrows and those perfect pair of eyes. Her lips look so luscious- wait... Where was I again?

Anyway, her design is awesome. One look at her and you'd see this woman is a soldier. It didn't have to resort to weapons, a Kevlar vest, weapons, green, armor, metal, you'd just know, she looks strong and she's a soldier.

In XIII-2 she looks divine, like a protector, a holy knight. They didn't have to resort to wings, extravagant golden armor or anything. You just knew that she looked like she descended from heaven(as if she didn't already look at that way)

With LR... Eh, what happened? Don't really dig the LR costume and don't understand it either, I'm not sure what I was supposed to feel but Toriyama gave Nomura the instructions "Strength" and "Black leather suit". Didn't really work out for me personally, I hated the costume at first but I admit it has grown on me somewhat, so okay.

Regarding the story, I really dislike the way the story went from FFXIII-2, but she's still very awesome. It would have been better imo if not for those god awful sequels. Especially LR - I didn't quite like the fact they marketed it "Create your own Lightning" like she's some kind of avatar. She's not Shepard or Dovakiin. An analogy I like to use is that if there was a Harry Potter game where you can "Customize your own Harry". That's... I wouldn't say wrong, I just don't agree with it. It's not like she doesn't have a character. For example, in a pre-XIII extraneous reading material, she openly disapproves of Lebreau's revealing outfit. In LR she's completely unfazed by wearing revealing outfits, and even has some lines to go with them. Dat fanservice. Nono. Do not like. Some people do, though, so okay.

The fact that she's not special is also very cool. She didn't have an interesting backstory, she was 'one of those soldiers' ordinary, and then she was thrown into a very awful situation that only showed her what 'cutting herself off' led to. She didn't have an interesting chain of events that led to XIII, she was just thrown in it, and it's just how life rolls. When she was younger, her father died, her mother died. She always had everything decided for her.
In XIII that gets worse and she decides to carve out her own fate, only to be subdued by a higher divine power again.

She
could have not served as Etro's champion, but she saw the future, saw her reflection as the Knight of the Goddess. She could still choose not to serve. She does what has to be done, letting someone else decide her fate again.

In the end, they work together to defeat God with a power he can't understand, and truly carve out a new world where there is no magic and the world is free.

Raitningz

meow meow choco chow

The fanservice in the Japanese version is significantly worse.

She says Tabechau, nya~

Which is "I'm going to eat you, nya~"

Also, the chocobogirl tells her to "Nya Nya to her heart's content." "Nya Nya" is actually a slang in Japan for sexual intercourse. If you run around in the Miqo'te costume, some randoms actually say they want to Nya Nya with her, albeit a cheek-in-tongue.

It also spawned a doujin centered around that line. Sigh.

Tizoc

i just purchased this game from greenmangaming.com and realized my Steam account is Asian one.

can the key redeemed from any Steam account?
i assume GMG is UK based?

Thank You
+1 more sales to support FFXV PC release :)

While GMG is UK based, if you are in Asia you get the Asia ver., outside of Asia you get the ROW ver. without the JP dub.

Pachimari

I only got 2 hours into Final Fantasy XIII earlier this month so can't wait to get started again on PC.

Of what I played it was awesome.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Actually Lightning's character arc is a lot about being alone and shutting people out, while the theme of the story is defying fate together as a family of sorts.

Lightning's afraid to be lonely deep inside, afraid to be weak. She's not strong, really, she compensates for what she lacks with a strong front. That's why she's not Claire. She wants to be strong for the people around her, but she's actually very scared. That's bravery.

At Square Enix they have a poster of her with the Japanese words "Yuki" overlayed. Yu Ki means courage, bravery. Facing your fears is courage. That's what she represents. She doesn't trust anyone, she wants to take care of everyone. She's annoyed when people care for her, because she's afraid to accept help from others. Anybody who thinks she's just stoic, strong, independent, badass and doesn't need anybody didn't really get it personally.

She's pretty grey, too, doesn't have a very clear cut morality, though she's somewhat altruistic. Her personality reflects pretty well in Dissidia too.

Also, her design is fantastic. Can you just look at how so, so very beautiful she is? Her eyes are the perfect hue of blue, gaze into them and you'd see the beauty of the most gorgeous seas in the world. Her wispy, rose-colored hair, fringe draping between her eyes, complimenting her well-curved eyebrows and those perfect pair of eyes. Her lips look so luscious- wait... Where was I again?

Anyway, her design is awesome. One look at her and you'd see this woman is a soldier. It didn't have to resort to weapons, a Kevlar vest, weapons, green, armor, metal, you'd just know, she looks strong and she's a soldier.

In XIII-2 she looks divine, like a protector, a holy knight. They didn't have to resort to wings, extravagant golden armor or anything. You just knew that she looked like she descended from heaven(as if she didn't already look at that way)

With LR... Eh, what happened? Don't really dig the LR costume and don't understand it either, I'm not sure what I was supposed to feel but Toriyama gave Nomura the instructions "Strength" and "Black leather suit". Didn't really work out for me personally, I hated the costume at first but I admit it has grown on me somewhat, so okay.

Regarding the story, I really dislike the way the story went from FFXIII-2, but she's still very awesome. It would have been better imo if not for those god awful sequels. Especially LR - I didn't quite like the fact they marketed it "Create your own Lightning" like she's some kind of avatar. She's not Shepard or Dovakiin. An analogy I like to use is that if there was a Harry Potter game where you can "Customize your own Harry". That's... I wouldn't say wrong, I just don't agree with it. It's not like she doesn't have a character. For example, in a pre-XIII extraneous reading material, she openly disapproves of Lebreau's revealing outfit. In LR she's completely unfazed by wearing revealing outfits, and even has some lines to go with them. Dat fanservice. Nono. Do not like. Some people do, though, so okay.

The fact that she's not special is also very cool. She didn't have an interesting backstory, she was 'one of those soldiers' ordinary, and then she was thrown into a very awful situation that only showed her what 'cutting herself off' led to. She didn't have an interesting chain of events that led to XIII, she was just thrown in it, and it's just how life rolls. When she was younger, her father died, her mother died. She always had everything decided for her.
In XIII that gets worse and she decides to carve out her own fate, only to be subdued by a higher divine power again.

She
could have not served as Etro's champion, but she saw the future, saw her reflection as the Knight of the Goddess. She could still choose not to serve. She does what has to be done, letting someone else decide her fate again.

In the end, they work together to defeat God with a power he can't understand, and truly carve out a new world where there is no magic and the world is free.

I can't express really how much I like her with words - she's not just a favourite character. Nobody has ever made me feel the way she does. She's inspired me to do so much, besides the fact that I'm completely obsessed and she probably shaped my life in more ways than I like. I know it's pathetic that my life is about her literally, but whatever, it's a phase. A loooooong one :|

I often look at the money I've spent on her and let out a sigh, but then it satiates my want to confess how I feel about her, so why not?

Matrix+-+Not+Like+This.gif

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

She

I can't express really how much I like her with words - she's not just a favourite character. Nobody has ever made me feel the way she does. She's inspired me to do so much, besides the fact that I'm completely obsessed and she probably shaped my life in more ways than I like. I know it's pathetic that my life is about her literally, but whatever, it's a phase. A loooooong one :|

I often look at the money I've spent on her and let out a sigh, but then it satiates my want to confess how I feel about her, so why not?
Toriyama is that you

Tizoc

I only got 2 hours into Final Fantasy XIII earlier this month so can't wait to get started again on PC.

Of what I played it was awesome.

Well the initial 'prologue' can be done in 30ish minutes. Don't do battles since you get nothing out of them. Only battle if enemies guard an item box, and skip cutscenes.

Raitningz

Be honest, do you consider Raitoningu-chan to be your waifu

I have a strong dislike for that word, but perhaps. The explanation was mainly justifying it to Gvaz who said "Lightning is such a boring, uninteresting character. I don't get it." in response to my earlier post.

BxuXmCFCAAA5z9x.png:large

I'm all in! This is one of the things I like showing off the most on the net.

I prefer Hillis too, though I think Maaya did better at LR.

Do you have your answer? D:

Perhaps I shall take those last two lines out.

I can provide good proof for everything I've said about her, tho.

Lovely post, but are you trying to compete with the everyone that likes her? hmmmm?haha
No one loves her more than me.

Anyway, to stick to the topic. Since it's a pretty big file, Is this game going to be available to download before release?

Also, does anyone have any monitor recommendations?

Raitningz

Lovely post, but are you trying to compete with the everyone that likes her? hmmmm?haha
No one loves her more than me.

Anyway, to stick to the topic. Since it's a pretty big file, Is this game going to be available to download before release?

Also, does anyone have any monitor recommendations?

Yeh the competition is on.
I disagree. There's always someone better than you at what you do, so you should always seek to outdo them.

Pretty sure yes.

I'm not a monitor expert, but I'm using a 23" Dell.

diaspora

For the first game at least, her personality seems to stem from a type of perpetual irritation with Snow and Hope.

Raitningz

For the first game at least, her personality seems to stem from a type of perpetual irritation with Snow and Hope.

It actually comes from within herself. In some way. She's guilty about how she shut Serah out, which is her motivation for the initial reason. You can see the disappointment when Sazh asks "What was Serah's focus?" and instead of saying "I don't know" she said "I didn't ask." sadly. It reflects how she has failed to 'protect' Serah, the reason why she ever became Lightning. To be strong. Strong for her sister.

She didn't want to think, so she fought. She didn't care. She even encouraged Hope's clearly misguided vendetta against Snow. But when she slowly sees the light then things change.

diaspora

It actually comes from within herself. In some way. She's guilty about how she shut Serah out, which is her motivation for the initial reason. You can see the disappointment when Sazh asks "What was Serah's focus?" and instead of saying "I don't know" she said "I didn't ask." sadly.

She didn't want to think, so she fought. She didn't care. She even encouraged Hope's clearly misguided vendetta against Snow. But when she slowly sees the light then things change.

I do see her feeling guilty about not paying attention to Serah's shenanigans, but honestly her encouraging Hope's antagonism was one of the better things to come from her. Maybe because it's what I would've done.

HeelPower

I think Lightning's most interesting aspect would be about her character being an equivalent of single female parent in a modern world.

That's the reason why she's so over protective and difficult to socialize with.

But they didn't flesh this out completely.It was just all blurted out in one scene.

She

Thanks for putting all the character development Toriyama and Watanabe forgot to put in the game.

Raitningz

Thanks for putting all the character development Toriyama and Watanabe forgot to put in the game.

? I'm pretty sure they did that. At the end of all this,
Lightning shouts out and cries "Please, don't leave me alone!", and together, they defeat God, instead of Lightning perpetually spending the rest of eternity fighting Bhunivelze ALONE in the Chaos. Here Lumina joins back with her, the part of Claire she cut out in order to be "Lightning."

You can even see she hasn't accepted that before the ending, Lumina begs her and cries, not wanting to be left behind, and she totally ignores her and forcefully disengages from Lumina's clutches.

She finally accepts her own fears, and because of that, becomes strong.

Also nobody uses the word "I" after that point.

TheF1BOB

Banned
Nice post but...

She

What happened? She got a badass costume is what happened.

oh and some personality too.

Raitningz

What happened? She got a badass costume is what happened.

oh and some personality too.

That's a matter of opinion, I'm not going to argue with you. Unless something is by general consensus good(more money) or bad(having no food to eat), it remains disputed.

Her personality stayed consistent, she just slowly grew to care for people more over time.

? I'm pretty sure they did that. At the end of all this,
Lightning shouts out and cries "Please, don't leave me alone!", and together, they defeat God, instead of Lightning perpetually spending the rest of eternity fighting Bhunivelze ALONE in the Chaos. Here Lumina joins back with her, the part of Claire she cut out in order to be "Lightning."

You can even see she hasn't accepted that before the ending, Lumina begs her and cries, not wanting to be left behind, and she totally ignores her and forcefully disengages from Lumina's clutches.

She finally accepts her own fears, and because of that, becomes strong.

Also nobody uses the word "I" after that point.

I feel one scene dosn't excuse 2 games of zero (or almost zero) development.

TheF1BOB

Banned
That's a matter of opinion, I'm not going to argue with you. Unless something is by general consensus good(more money) or bad(having no food to eat), it remains disputed.

Her personality stayed consistent, she just slowly grew to care for people more over time.

Well they gave her character development (thank god) and I appreciate that.

Yes, it is a matter of opinion. I agree.

Raitningz

I feel one scene dosn't excuse 2 games of zero (or almost zero) development.

It's VERY slowly building up. She cares more and more slowly. Think of it not as a constant gradient, but a plateau then a huge spike up.

Let's take a look at Ezio Auditore: A well-loved character from Assassin's Creed(if you've played), a character I like as well. He is fueled by anger through the first half of Assassin's Creed 2, then dramatically becomes wise at the end of AC: II, then goes through almost 0 development throughout 2 entire other games. It's like the reverse.

Lightning doesn't go through much change through the first two games, then drastically changes through the last game.

So are people saying she doesn't change or she's inconsistent? Make up your mind.

I've been wondering why this thread has become so big over the last days.

Yep, same discussion people have online since 2010.

Guys, it's time to get over this game.

For some reason I have an itch to try this game. I'm at 0 expectations or maybe less, so I'm hoping that helps a little. I'm trying to decide if I should rent it on PS Now or wait out the Steam release.

It's VERY slowly building up. She cares more and more slowly. Think of it not as a constant gradient, but a plateau then a huge spike up.

Let's take a look at Ezio Auditore: A well-loved character from Assassin's Creed(if you've played), a character I like as well. He is fueled by anger through the first half of Assassin's Creed 2, then dramatically becomes wise at the end of AC: II, then goes through almost 0 development throughout 2 entire other games. It's like the reverse.

Lightning doesn't go through much change through the first two games, then drastically changes through the last game.

So are people saying she doesn't change or she's inconsistent? Make up your mind.

Well, Ezio suffers, just at the beginning of AC2 a more sudden change development, when he goes from an easygoing libertine to a warrior looking from vengeance. I don't particuarly like Ezio a lot either, but from that point of view Ezio is a more interesting character that Lightning.

Lightning is not inconsistent and I'm not saying you aren't right, rather I'm saying that you had to layered out her character when the autors of the XIII trilogy barely bothered at all, or did a piss job doing it, whatever.

If Lightning had to be explained because most of the people thought she was a one dimensional character, then I think is clearly that the Toriyama and company failed miserably. One scene at the end of a trilogy that magically explains all, really dosn't fix the problems when they had to build that character for the other 2 games.

I'm glad you like Lightning so much, but what you're doing is filling the holes her character progression had during the whole trilogy. Not blaming the character itself but blaming Toriyama and Watanabe.

Raitningz

Well, Ezio suffers, just at the beginning of AC2 a more sudden change development, when he goes from an easygoing libertine to a warrior looking from vengeance. I don't particuarly like Ezio a lot either, but from that point of view Ezio is a more interesting character that Lightning.

Lightning is not inconsistent and I'm not saying you aren't right, rather I'm saying that you had to layered out her character when the autors of the XIII trilogy barely bothered at all, or did a piss job doing it, whatever.

If Lightning had to be explained because most of the people thought she was a one dimensional character, then I think is clearly that the Toriyama and company failed miserably. One scene at the end of a trilogy that magically explains all, really dosn't fix the problems when they had to build that character for the other 2 games.

I'm glad you like Lightning so much, but what you're doing is filling the holes her character progression had during the whole trilogy. Not blaming the character itself but blaming Toriyama and Watanabe.

Ah. I see.

Eh, I will agree that the story wasn't told the best way it could have been and I think she deserved so much better. If I could buy Square I would retcon XIII-2 and LR.

Well, I personally think Watanabe wrote a pretty self-defeating story in general overall.

Nzyme32

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

She's like JC Denton, a flat monotone board where nothing interesting happens with her.

Maybe this is changed in lightning returns, this is going off 13 and 13-2

JC has some reasoning to being a bit monotonous though, you know, as a crazy modified nano machine man in a cyberpunky weird dystopian future world. Having said that he does on occasion enunciate and express emotion during some of his more difficult ethical battles that he seems to have. Can't speak for the character in IW though since I can never have the patience for the game. One day... one day..

Top Bottom