• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae 2.0 coming in May | Trailer at E3, more at Gamescom

tumblr_nh10n0K4951qc06c1o1_500.jpg

How does she read with welding goggles on?

Tabata confirmed that 2.0 will patch that.

Nooooooo...

Makes me not want to dl 2.0 to keep a quirky little piece of game development history, or to get a second code on a backup account.

I took some neat shots on the stone archways too :(. Even if we could still get out, I bet a bunch of stuff like Titan himself will be removed.

chrono01

Who is that and what does he do?
Yoshi-P, and he's the man responsible for pulling Final Fantasy XIV back from the brink of death. He did one hell of a job, with "A Realm Reborn" being the best Final Fantasy title in years.

Seriously, what the man did is a massive accomplishment.

Neff with the truth bombs. The hyper sensitivity to female sexualisation in the industry is becoming ridiculous. I'm not even going to deny its an issue, but the furore surrounding FF XV's depiction of Cindy seems a bit manufactured imo. It's not as if the all male protag cast aren't also meant to be viewed as sexy, 'perfect' young men.

Having washboard abs, perfect looks and showing off those abs is Male Fantasy
Daisy Dukes with Tits hanging out is not exactly a Female Fantasy, just male
Fighting monsters with swords is Final Fantasy

That's the issue. No matter how intelligent she may be portrayed as, they still make her look like a sex bomb

Klossen

Banned
Cindy is too sexy? It's almost like it's a fantasy game!

Edit: Man, this survey-based game making is making me ill. I can understand general gameplay tweaks that are hard to test in studio environment, but laying out surveys which characters were most liked and disliked? Come on. Why not just make the game you want to make instead of being so dependant on external survey data? It just makes your game seem more like an average product to be sold rather than geniune work of artists.

NullKaze

Fighting monsters with swords is Final Fantasy

That's the issue. No matter how intelligent she may be portrayed as, they still make her look like a sex bomb

Having washboard abs, broad shoulders, square jaws and a tall stature are all male secondary sexual characteristics and biologically designed to appeal to females. This is the male equivalent of a 'sex bomb.'

The reason why they could arguably be considered a male fantasy is because men (generally) want to appeal to females.
If a woman wanted to appeal to males, you bet she would consider large breasts, the perfect waist/hip ratio and long legs to be a power fantasy (along with other, non-physical attributes).

Naoki Yoshida, the current Producer-Director of Final Fantasy XIV. He brought that game not just back from the brink of shutdown, but has turned it into what is currently Square's most profitable product month-to-month and easily their most visible success this decade.

Even when he first came on in 2011, he fostered a culture of openness and communication with the players. This included regular video "Producer letters". After FFXIV's massively successful relaunch, other teams have begun to do video letters as well. The Bravely team did a number during production of Bravely Second, and now Tabata and the FFXV team are doing them too.

Neff

You'd be surprised. There are plenty of women who like looking, dressing and being sexy, even outright slutty.

Glad is definitely designed to appeal to girls. Ditto Noctis and his lithe-bodied, perfectly-groomed pals. And Cloud. And Squall. Tidus, Zack, Vaan, Balthier... Square has built an endless parade of incredibly beautiful men primarily geared towards appealing to female physical ideals. The FFXIII scene in Palumpolum which Snow spends near-entirely shirtless wasn't a straight male fantasy. He didn't have a lovingly-rendered chest and the best god damn nipple textures ever seen in gaming to fulfil a straight male fantasy. I don't doubt that some guys liked it, but they weren't the intended audience S-E had in mind.

jett

D-Member
How weird that they're patching basic tenets of gameplay based on fan feedback. Makes it seem like they have no idea what they're doing.

Anyway, the Cindy stuff is hilarious. Japan gonna Japan, I guess.

franzupan

Neo Member
Its great to see that they are understanding the faults with the demo's mechanic and updating it. It would be a different experience playing that demo on a stable framerate.

But regarding the controversial topic of Cidney's design choice...its sad that they will most likely not change that visual appearance/outfit but at least they acknowledge the issue of her showing her skin too much. I preferred a more mechanic-y design to match her personality. or just straight up a banana suit like what Cid wore in FF6.

However, I kinda agree that her presentation during cut scenes felt more sleazy than actually seeing her on outside of one (subtle camera angle, focus). I believe they will be toning down that, which is a good thing. Its better than not doing anything about it. I mean, it could have been possible for them to make her sexual appearances become some kind of running fan service trope/gag in the full game.THAT would make me cringe and feel extremely uncomfortable.

Overall it was pleasant watching them address the issues and figuring out a solution for it.

Having washboard abs, broad shoulders, square jaws and a tall stature are all male secondary sexual characteristics and biologically designed to appeal to females. This is the male equivalent of a 'sex bomb.'

The reason why they could arguably be considered a male fantasy is because men (generally) want to appeal to females.
If a woman wanted to appeal to males, you bet she would consider large breasts, the perfect waist/hip ratio and long legs to be a power fantasy (along with other, non-physical attributes).

Okay I get what you mean but consider the fact that none of the males show as much skin as Cindy herself does. As a mechanic she could dress more appropriately for her job, my problem is more with the unzipped jacket than her shorts.
They could have had their cake and eaten it with a minor change, she starts all professional and zipped up but then starts flirting with say Noctis while unzipping her jacket just a bit (is it hot today? wow!). Noctis could then look embarrassed or impressed or whatever.
Gladiolus equivalent for the above scene would be taking off his shirt entirely and flexing with perhaps a low angle to show off his buttocks. The fact that his chest is visible through his unbuttoned shirt is different from Cindy looking half way to nudity

You'd be surprised. There are plenty of women who like looking, dressing and being sexy, even outright slutty.

Glad is definitely designed to appeal to girls. Ditto Noctis and his lithe-bodied, perfectly-groomed pals. And Cloud. And Squall. Tidus, Zack, Vaan, Balthier... Square has built an endless parade of incredibly beautiful men primarily geared towards appealing to female physical ideals. The FFXIII scene in Palumpolum which Snow spends near-entirely shirtless wasn't a straight male fantasy. He didn't have a lovingly-rendered chest and the best god damn nipple textures ever seen in gaming to fulfil a straight male fantasy. I don't doubt that some guys liked it, but they weren't the intended audience S-E had in mind.

Those women would be fans of Bayonetta, a character that defines sexual empowerment. She's sexy and sultry for her own benefit and not others
I agree with the bolded but Snow isn't always shirtless or showing off his nipples. Say he's being shown off as sexy in 3 out of 10 scenes but Cindy is sexy in all scenes
I would have no problem if Cindy started off as zipped up but then unzips and winks at the camera. That's called a tease. But in Episode Duscae her default mode is "Look, I'm so hot! "

glaurung

He was the man who cried during the launch of A Realm Reborn (aka Final Fantasy XIV 2.0).

Why did he cry?

He cried because he had put his heart and soul into this game and he brought it back from the brink of oblivion. It is now one of the more successful products for Square (I am sure someone else has pointed this out already). Seeing him cry at that event was one of the most emotional, hearted scenes in a gaming world that is filled with fake PR and shitty douchebags.

I'm glad they are changing the direction for Noctis' voice, but I'm a little scared they are going to make him sound like a too-young hero we too often see in JRPGs.

They need to change Cindy's name back to Cidney. Have they said anything on that matter ? Surely some people complained about it in their survey.

Hmm, if XV only has a small teaser at e3 then maybe KH3 chances just got bumped unless it's meant to be extremely Eidos focused. Happy to see SE take Gamescom seriously.

Kuni

Very impressed by this. This bodes well for the company as a whole if this is the direction it's heading in. Good stuff all around, looking forward to 2.0.

koutoru

Hmm, if XV only has a small teaser at e3 then maybe KH3 chances just got bumped unless it's meant to be extremely Eidos focused. Happy to see SE take Gamescom seriously.
This is what I was thinking. I think some people might be disappointed by how little Japanese games actually have a presence at their conference.

Maybe they'll show off stuff like DQH and SO5, but I believe a wide majority of their conference will be focused on their western studios.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm glad they are changing the direction for Noctis' voice, but I'm a little scared they are going to make him sound like a too-young hero we too often see in JRPGs.

They need to change Cindy's name back to Cidney. Have they said anything on that matter ? Surely some people complained about it in their survey.

I'd also like Terra changed back to Tina and Tidus changed back to Tida*. Too bad that's not going to happen either.

actually not joking, I'm pretty OCD that way

I'd also like Terra changed back to Tina and Tidus changed back to Tida*. Too bad that's not going to happen either.

actually not joking, I'm pretty OCD that way

Those characters are from games that have already been released. XV has yet to be released, and Square put out a survey so they could implement fan feedback in the full game.

There is still hope ! Maybe they'll do another survey after 2.0 is released.

I hope they don't listen to anything in the survey because listening to fans and designing a game around them is one of the dumbest things you can do. There will always be some vocal segment that isn't happy.

i've heard of one called Kagari

she even posts on GAF

hey Kagari what do you think

image.php

oh
Stop bullying Kagari! :(

Very impressed by this. This bodes well for the company as a whole if this is the direction it's heading in. Good stuff all around, looking forward to 2.0.
It's pretty cool to see Tabata being this transparent alongside the latest Squeenix announcements.

Kikujiro

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone brought that up!

It's not an unfair assessment, either, but they're pretty good overall, I think. Plenty of well-written women, including Miranda, and plenty of female party members who exist for far, far more reason than eye candy. And female protagonist options, too, with high-quality voice acting and -- although it's taken too long -- a good amount of marketing rep as of late.

We probably shouldn't go too far down the BioWare-examination rabbit hole in this thread, though, but I understand that I'm the one who mentioned them so you're only responding in kind.

Plenty of female FF characters exist for more than simple eye-candy, in fact most of them are not just for eye-candy (yes they are all beautiful, but so are the male characters), there's a reason the FF series has a huge female fanbase. It's rather disingenuous to accuse S-E, a company which doesn't shy from using a female lead for their biggest game, while applauding Bioware, the same company who designed Isabela and put Jessica Chobot in ME3 only for eye-candy.

As for Cidney, I'm fine with her design since it's not different from Gladiolus wearing no shirt at all, but I do agree that their answer wass straight ass, I hope they were just joking.
The fan outfit redesign of Cidney is better than the original, less tacky, still hot.

Exactly my fear. Batman Noctis didn't bother me at all (of course, I've also got a honeyed panther baritone, despite my youthful countenance). If we end up with his sounding like Tidus or Vaan, god help me. Hopefully they keep the same voice actor but work to get a more natural conversational tone.

On the other news, camera and targeting tweaks as expected. Dodge roll and canceling out of SOME attacks should be fine as long as they keep the strategic balance (committing to an attack line should have some element of risk reward).

The split in feedback between East and West is tough - bit of a rock and a hard place there.

The fact that they're doing a substantial update to the demo is what's throwing me for a loop here. I'll be excited to try it and compare to Duscae 1, but... it's just a demo. Is there going to be another feedback cycle after that? At some point they just have to commit to a vision
without dodge canceling out of it
, come hell, high water, or critical fans.

They seem to be pulling the anti-Konami.

Final Fantasy XVI directed by Hideo Kojima. The following plot twists will occur:

- The four crystals that protect the world are actually fakes, the real ones were destroyed thousands of years before the game started and replaced with fakes and the world is actually in a spiral of despair.
- It turns out the protagonist's father is a cockatrice. The mother is the fast travel menu.
- The bard character sentient fiddle (voiced by Elijah Wood) will, ironically enough, be the only one not to be played like a fiddle.
- Guess where the bomb will be!

Saiyan-Rox

Right. All of my mechanics dress like that.

maybe all female mechanics in japan dress like that

If so i'm getting a car, moving to japan and then breaking said car.

it's funny how Europe main complaint was Cindy. I'll admit i'm getting a little pissed and fed up of the T&A in games/movies lately

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Final Fantasy XVI directed by Hideo Kojima. The following plot twists will occur:

- The four crystals that protect the world are actually fakes, the real ones were destroyed thousands of years before the game started and replaced with fakes and the world is actually in a spiral of despair.
- It turns out the protagonist's father is a cockatrice. The mother is the fast travel menu.
- The bard character sentient fiddle (voiced by Elijah Wood) will, ironically enough, be the only one not to be played like a fiddle.

I'd play it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Erm

http://www.centrumher.eu/wp-content/uploads/Final-Fantasy-15-Cindy.jpg[IMG]

I'm pretty sure she would've at least worn a T instead.[/QUOTE]

Which pic is the newer one? The left one has substantially better shadows judging by the shadow cast by the cap.

It should be noted that this character design is laughable.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds like a Toriyama written scenario!
While we're at it, they might as well employ the Loveplus director (who has also left Konami) and let Toriyama work with him for a waifu game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Which pic is the newer one? The left one has substantially better shadows judging by the shadow cast by the cap.

It should be noted that this character design is laughable.

That's actually FMV vs realtime rendering. It's the same 'version'.

Turin

Banned
Exactly my fear. Batman Noctis didn't bother me at all (of course, I've also got a honeyed panther baritone, despite my youthful countenance). If we end up with his sounding like Tidus or Vaan, god help me. Hopefully they keep the same voice actor but work to get a more natural conversational tone.

I don't know for certain but judging by what they said, that's exactly what they're doing.

Geg

Go to last page, half the posts are about Cidney. It's a FFXV thread all right.

On that note, geez is that thing about them saying her clothes are normal because she's a mechanic still in the OP? No one actually says that in the video; it's a complete fabrication

Top Bottom