• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering selling my PS4 for 250 to get the Pro for 400 before this game comes out. Thing is, after this thread I have no idea what to do anymore >_<

You people are confusing me, Lol

Strakt

I'm considering selling my PS4 for 250 to get the Pro for 400 before this game comes out. Thing is, after this thread I have no idea what to do anymore >_<

You people are confusing me, Lol

Wait until monday when official reviews come out. If you want pro, do it regardless esp if you can sell for 250. The game is def gonna be one of the best games this year.

bigol

What difference does it make if they are "cutscenes" versus dialogue throughout the game itself? This seems like a really arbitrary distinction.

Just dialogue is lame to me because you don't see their faces,expressions,movements. When there are cutscenes they are so good,it's a pity they are so few.

valkyre

Im gonna say 90+. There are games with way worse story/optimization/combat that have received 90+ meta recently

If the story is the kind of hot mess people are talking about and if the game is as divisive as they describe I doubt it will get anywhere near 90 on meta.

Not that I care though, just saying.

Burbeting

Banned
Im gonna say 90+. There are games with way worse story/optimization/combat that have received 90+ meta recently

In Metacritic, only seven PS4 games, that are neither DLC or HD ports of games that were first released on 7th gen consoles/Wii U received only 90+ Metascore:

MGSV
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
INSIDE
Overwatch
Shovel Knight (This one is sort of a port, but I'll count it for the sake of inflating the numbers at least a little).

Reviews are way harsher now. This game is not going to reach +90 score.

Strakt

In Metacritic, only seven PS4 games, that are neither DLC or HD ports of games that were first released on 7th gen consoles/Wii U received only 90+ Metascore:

MGSV
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
INSIDE
Overwatch
Shovel Knight (This one is sort of a port, but I'll count it for the sake of inflating the numbers at least a little).

Reviews are way harsher now. This game is not going to reach +90 score.

Dishonored 2 was at 90; guess it dropped to 88.

Goli

My feelings towards the game (3 hours in, just reached Galvin Quay) are mostly the same as sappyday, tough I've not experienced glitches or frame drops so far (playing on Lite mode on PS4Pro).

A tip for current and future players: Try examining everything! You can usually trigger random world building dialogue between NPCs or the main party if you do so.

Though something that bothers me is that I don't really see the need to switch weapons constantly during battle? I feel like I'm missing a crucial element from the battle system, but so far I've managed to do everything so far by only using the sword that the weapon shop in Hammerhead sells that's better than Noctis' basic one.

All I need to know is the following, is there a lot of

Side content,secret quests lines and amazing OP weapons and Armour to aquire ?
The world map is not only the area we have already seen and played in? there is much larger map right?

Strakt

There's absolutely no way it'll score anywhere near that.

Guess we'll find out Monday! From what i played in the judgment demo, i loved everything about it... and ill be playing the full game today... so no matter what it gets, ill still enjoy it and decide for myself

Kacho

I'd bet my house that this doesn't come close to sniffing a 90+ meta. It'll be a love it or hate it game so I think something in the 70's is much more likely.

KupoNut

So... good gameplay, okay story. I'm fine with that but I'm curious to see how reviews will grade it with FF traditionally having a big focus on story. FFXIII got good reviews, but I don't think people will be as accepting this time.

Dark_castle

It's fun now to go back and compare Verendus's impressions posts to the ones that have actually played the game.

906500d2589d959c73c33b4dcdda34f5fda3485255b19132d42b491c823e807e.jpg

Burbeting

Banned
I highly doubt a 70. Sounds like you just want it to fail :)

Reviewing in the 70's is more likely than in the 90's, at any case.

My personal guess is 80-85 range. Mostly because World of FF got 78 metascore, and I liked the Judgment demo more than what I've played of WOFF so far (around 30 hours).

Gbraga

Can we get this guy to make FFXVI?

Guess we'll find out Monday! From what i played in the judgment demo, i loved everything about it... and ill be playing the full game today... so no matter what it gets, ill still enjoy it and decide for myself

I loved everything I played too, I just don't think the two things are related :p

There are 90+ games that I consider trash, as well as lower scored games that I consider masterpieces. I just think it won't review that well.

Strakt

Reviewing in the 70's is more likely than in the 90's, at any case.

My personal guess is 80-85 range. Mostly because World of FF got 78 metascore, and I liked the Judgment demo more than what I've played of WOFF so far (around 30 hours).

It wont get a 70.. 80s? Sure, 70s? No way lol

Either way Ill be getting it today and playing it!

Kacho

I highly doubt a 70. Sounds like you just want it to fail :)

You can think whatever you want but reviewers in general have been much harsher this generation and very few games have hit a 90 meta. If the story is as bad as some say and the combat is divisive then it's easy to expect something in the 70 range. Either way the review thread is going to be legendary.

thatJohann

My feelings towards the game (3 hours in, just reached Galvin Quay) are mostly the same as sappyday, tough I've not experienced glitches or frame drops so far (playing on Lite mode on PS4Pro).

A tip for current and future players: Try examining everything! You can usually trigger random world building dialogue between NPCs or the main party if you do so.

Though something that bothers me is that I don't really see the need to switch weapons constantly during battle? I feel like I'm missing a crucial element from the battle system, but so far I've managed to do everything so far by only using the sword that the weapon shop in Hammerhead sells that's better than Noctis' basic one.

Why Lite mode on the Pro?

Tyaren

Hey, I'm just going to repeat my unanswered question from before:
Since the world is smaller than we thought and the areas get also smaller and more linear towards the end, can we at least expect a boost to graphical eye candy there? Similar to how polished FFXIII's levels were?
It's sad but at least that could console me a bit. I mean, I actually bought a Pro just for FFXV. XD

Strakt

Hey, I'm just going to repeat my unanswered question from before:
Since the world is smaller than we thought and the areas get also smaller and more linear towards the end, can we at least expect a boost to graphical eye candy there? Similar to how polished FFXIII's levels were?
It's sad but at least that could console me a bit... XD

Whats wrong with the graphics?

They looked AMAZING on the ps4 pro in the open world in the JUDGMENT demo

Goli

Why Lite mode on the Pro?
Played a little on the High setting and felt it was weirdly... uneven? Like, there weren't frame drop per se I think, but it felt definitely less smooth than Lite mode, and for a graphical boost that's not really all that noticeable to me. I'm not really into the technicals of these things but that's why.

Fbh

Thx for the impressions everyone.
Really looking forward to playing it next week.

Based on most impressions here it sounds pretty much exactly like what I expected. Fun gameplay, ok side content and bad story.
And I mean seriously, people were expecting a good story? What was the last FF most people agree had a good story...X? In 2001?. It's like going to watch an M. Night Shyamalan movie expecting it to be good because sixth sense was good.

Still the world looks great, music is going to be great, the combat and progression seem fun and while the story is said to be bad at least most have liked the character interactions

Aurongel

I'm getting the game regardless because I'm a fan but I don't see this getting above an 82 on MC. All of the areas where Western RPG's have made serious improvements in the past five years are the exact areas where this game gets a little hairy. That's not to say it won't be a fine game on its own, but I fear there's going to be a lot of "this would have been a groundbreaking game in 2012" comments made about it. And from the dozens of hours of footage I've seen of it already, those criticisms might not be unfounded.

Wait until monday when official reviews come out. If you want pro, do it regardless esp if you can sell for 250. The game is def gonna be one of the best games this year.

Thanks, good advice to at least wait, on the other hand, I find many reviewers actually show they never played older FFs in their perspective (e.g. presuming FFXV introduced openworld gameplay to the franchise)

The killer part is people in this thread talking about the one button combat (huge difference when it applies action RPG as opposed to turn-based, makes me expect shallow mechanics)

Keep posting folks, this week will be hectic for me, as I may quit being a fan of the franchise if FFXV fails me the way XIII did

Tyaren

Whats wrong with the graphics?

They looked AMAZING on the ps4 pro in the open world in the JUDGMENT demo

Yes, it does look good for an open world game...but if it is true everything gets downsized and more restricted towards the end, there should graphically be more possible. I think many of FFXIII's restricted environments look actually prettier and more polished than FFXV's open world environments. I imagine FFXV could potentially reach Uncharted 4 or Ratchet & Clank levels of graphical awesome in it's more restricted areas. That's what I am asking.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Played a little on the High setting and felt it was weirdly... uneven? Like, there weren't frame drop per se I think, but it felt definitely less smooth than Lite mode, and for a graphical boost that's not really all that noticeable to me. I'm not really into the technicals of these things but that's why.

That sounds exactly like the frame pacing issue from the Judgement Disc demo. The frame rate is 30 on average but each frame is uneven, some are 16ms, some are 55ms, some are 33ms making it feel 'juddery' and 'uneven'. Guess it wasn't fixed with the patch

Edit: You can see Digital Foundry talk about it in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew0_5fF0WaM Would you say it's just like that?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thx for the impressions everyone.
Really looking forward to playing it next week.

Based on most impressions here it sounds pretty much exactly like what I expected. Fun gameplay, ok side content and bad story.
And I mean seriously, people were expecting a good story? What was the last FF most people agree had a good story...X? In 2001?. It's like going to watch an M. Night Shyamalan movie expecting it to be good because sixth sense was good.

Still the world looks great, music is going to be great, the combat and progression seem fun and while the story is said to be bad at least most have liked the character interactions
The only one with a truly awful story post X was XIII and its sequels. XI's is phenomenal, XII's starts out great but falls flat in the later parts and XIV has been really good so far. I think it's absolutely fair to expect at least some semblance of narrative direction and good storytelling here, especially given the wait.

Kamitechi

Thanks, good advice to at least wait, on the other hand, I find many reviewers actually show they never played older FFs in their perspective (e.g. presuming FFXV introduced openworld gameplay to the franchise)

The killer part is people in this thread talking about the one button combat (huge difference when it applies action RPG as opposed to turn-based, makes me expect shallow mechanics)

Keep posting folks, this week will be hectic for me, as I may quit being a fan of the franchise if FFXV fails me the way XIII did

Not really sure where that one button combat come from anyway, try it like that and fights could take 10 minutes, when you can clear then in 2-3 minutes with basic knowledge of skills and passives you get from the AP grid thingy.

the battle system is quite deep, even on the judgement demo only.

Gbraga

That sounds exactly like the frame pacing issue from the Judgement Disc demo. The frame rate is 30 on average but each frame is uneven, some are 16ms, some are 55ms, some are 33ms making it feel 'juddery' and 'uneven'. Guess it wasn't fixed with the patch

I've seen someone saying it felt better for them on regular PS4 after applying the patch (they played the game unpatched for a couple of hours while waiting for the download).

I think it was DarkLordMalik?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen someone saying it felt better for them on regular PS4 after applying the patch (they played the game unpatched for a couple of hours while waiting for the download).

I think it was DarkLordMalik?

The frame pacing stuff was mostly a problem for the Pro mode I think. Base PS4 has less of that kind of issue

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The only one with a truly awful story post X was XIII and its sequels. XI's is phenomenal, XII's starts out great but falls flat in the later parts and XIV has been really good so far. I think it's absolutely fair to expect at least some semblance of narrative direction and good storytelling here, especially given the wait.

I think the problem with FFXIII is that the story was poorly explained and had a lot of jargon.

The mythology was fine and all but the way FFXIII executed it was... Incomplete and it assumed you knew the mythology.

Really, Toriyama's team sucks at story telling and puts way too many stuff into a story.

cackhyena

I never expected the story to be anything beyond mediocre. If the combat is fun enough, I'm down. My first jrpg in a while. 12 is still one of my favorites. Clearly story doesn't have to mean much. Being the Frankenstein's monster this game is, not sure how people expect more.

Socivol

XII had a really shitty story. From the impressions it seems this is a reverse XII where the story starts out slow and then picks up in the latter half. I am looking forward to seeing how it shapes up against XIII (which I thought was an okay story) and XII which I thought was shit since all of them had developmental problems.

Sadly this game will get crushed by reviewers. I Predict A 60-70 metacritic. I've had it preordered and really looking forward to it but the writing is on the wall

Drewfonse

Well, this thread has been a little deflating. Mainly story related issues. I think that I'll bow out until the game comes out.

Sciortino

Damn seeing so many people's impressions has me extremely jealous having to wait for next week..wish somewhere in Montreal was selling it early.

Samimista

Mine was like that too but it just updated it's currently in my city. I guess USPS just didn't update the departure scan.

I'm a bit relieved to hear since I posted this on the other thread yesterday:

I'm a bit worried about my disc. eBay guy is reliable, but it seems mine has arrived at the mailing facility in Sandston, VA over an hour ago. Decided to Google up the area, and the first page is literally filled with complaints about its mail facility. =/

I'm gonna keep an eye on my tracking information, but the complaints and reviews don't seem assuring. The facility also closed at 5 PM EST, so I can't call now.

The tracking still hasn't updated, but hopefully it does.

I already informed eBay guy who's never had a problem with Sandston.

Mine was like that too but it just updated it's currently in my city. I guess USPS just didn't update the departure scan.

Mine was scanned and departed from NYC this morning (I am in CT). Called my local USPS and they said it should still be delivered today so I am hoping it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom