• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overnight shipping from Ebay guy was worth, ordered late yesterday and I have it now. Of course NY would get it today though so I went and bought another copy, will give to a friend

Fuck yeah, got my dinner, game popped in and updated, start it up and... "install time remaining: 20 minutes"

For fuck's sake. Don't let me start the game if I can't actually play it, devs. I bought Battlefront with this week's sale and it did the same thing, except I got to actually dick around as Vader during the installation process

Fuck yeah, got my dinner, game popped in and updated, start it up and... "install time remaining: 20 minutes"

For fuck's sake. Don't let me start the game if I can't actually play it, devs. I bought Battlefront with this week's sale and it did the same thing, except I got to actually dick around as Vader during the installation process

Mafia 3 did that, but it was alot worse than 20 minutes.

artsi

God damnit I need these things when I open YT videos.

0ky73rS.jpg

I'm not looking at suggested videos but it's hard man when they're there in my peripheral vision.

wmlk

While installing, you can play it in Open Combat from the menu. You get some practice in an awesome map.

mr2xxx

Banned
Anyone here hate the combat from the demo and learn to enjoy the combat in the actual game? Or am I screwed if I hated the combat from the demo. Didn't they implement some turn based mode, that any good?

Still no one detailing the summon system or some other forms of ring magic yet? That makes me worry those systems are vestigial... Would anyone be willing to shed some light on these parts of the game?

Neff

I thought XIII had the most fun and crazy on your toes battle system in the main series and like with XII some people said it "played itself"

XIII is practically its own 'menu action' genre, you have to pay attention and react fast to the changing dynamics of battles, especially harder ones. Changing Paradigm Shifts and queueing commands can get pretty hectic. It's a great game.

Having played both the Duscae and Platinum demos extensively, it doesn't feel like FFXV has that same level of depth or interaction, but I'm aware that the demos withhold a lot of customisation features from the main game, so we'll see.

It kinda reminds me of DMC1 a bit with these choices you could make in between the attack options as Matthewmatosis described it as. The combat still looks like unsatisfying flailing though which is still pretty disappointing. There's something not right about the animations on moves with Crushing properties.

Serpico99

Called a NYC spot and they said they had it. After enduring the ridiculous delays on the 1 train... they are out of copies. FML

HMD

They make you sit through 5 minute car rides but they don't even bother showing a 3 minute cutscene explaining who the villains/Luna/Niffilhiem/Oracles are, it's like they expect everyone to have been following the game on forums and magazines since its announcement. I swear if I didn't know everything about the world/characters already I would be so lost. The cutscenes are so bad in this game it's just embarrassing, it's like they're straight out of a low budget remastered PSP game, even Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep has better cutscenes. If the world and main party weren't so good I'd be bored out of my mind.

Enclose

They make you sit through 5 minute car rides but they don't even bother showing a 3 minute cutscene explaining who the villains/Luna/Niffilhiem/Oracles are, it's like they expect everyone to have been following the game on forums and magazines since its announcement. I swear if I didn't know everything about the world/characters already I would be so lost. The cutscenes are so bad in this game it's just embarrassing, it's like they're straight out of a low budget remastered PSP game, even Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep has better cutscenes. If the world and main party weren't so good I'd be bored out of my mind.

Never saw someone whos hating the game so hard like you. Holy.

Lucreto

My CE Strategy Guide from Amazon UK has been delayed until the 6th.

Just hope there is nothing missable in the first part.

HMD

Never saw someone whos hating the game so hard like you. Holy.

I'm loving the game but the cutscenes are just ruining my interest in the story, they're terrible, like Bethesda terrible. That is not acceptable in a Final Fantasy in my opinion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I haven't followed the game much at all so I'm curious to see how that all pans out.

Um, just watching the first 2 videos, there seems a lot of fluffly useless moves, like the sidestep sword attack and the slashing lance combo.

Maybe after playing too much DS/BB where every move has a purpose and is deliberate my mind is fucked up.

I remember playing the Platinum Demo and not feeling it (Yeah, I watched that 12 minute video a gaffer made, still didn't feel it)

While installing, you can play it in Open Combat from the menu. You get some practice in an awesome map.
Yeah you're right, I didn't notice. It's basically the same thing as the Vader installation - mindless killing lol.

Anyways, installation's done (took longer than 20 btw), so in I go. See you all on the other side.

Pachimari

So this does not become more fantastical than
Altissia
, nor in gameplay or story?

And where can one find the Special Edition I see photos of in this thread? It's not on Amazon.

theofficefan99

To the people complaining about the "PSP esque" cutscenes...

That's what happens when people demand costume changes to be visible 24/7. Like, to this day idk of a game that allows visible costume changes whilst having good cutscene direction.

I don't think Tabata should be blamed for it either. Crisis Core and ***The 3rd Birthday (I accidentally wrote Type-0 initially...) had excellent cutscene direction. Type-0 had hardware limitations IIRC (but yes its cutscenes were awful)

With this game though with the size of the world plus the ability to change your costume obviously would cause cutscenes to most likely take a noticeable hit. XIII-2 and LR had changeable outfits showing in cutscenes as well and the cutscenes were 100x less enjoyable to watch than XIII's.

Playing through World of FF and the cutscenes are a joy to watch.

I'm hoping XVI sticks to default outfits.

That's what happens when people demand costume changes to be visible 24/7. Like, to this day idk of a game that allows visible costume changes whilst having good cutscene direction.

Xenoblade (not really X which is disappointing) had perfectly fine direction in its cutscenes most of the time and had visible costume changes.

Samimista

Overnight shipping from Ebay guy was worth, ordered late yesterday and I have it now. Of course NY would get it today though so I went and bought another copy, will give to a friend

Yeah, I still have my Deluxe Edition coming on release day, so I'll be giving eBay copy to my brother sometime then. He hasn't played FF since X but has been interested in XV since 2011.

Betty

Banned

MGS: Camo's and suits worn by the players are shown in cutscenes.

Kingdom Hearts: Drive Forms and keyblades equipped are often shown in real time cutscenes.

PowderedToast

also tabata doesn't 'direct' cutscenes. he directs the game's production

there might be correlation in his decision making and the cutscenes not being up to standard, but that's it

theofficefan99

Xenoblade (not really X which is disappointing) had perfectly fine direction in its cutscenes most of the time and had visible costume changes.

Haven't played the game, but I did watch a ton of footage. It has some well-directed cutscenes but there's a ton of standing-around cutscenes as well. Plus Xenoblade's not the most visually impressive game. The character models are, er, ya.

These look good, but from the impressions, the people who were saying "hold button to win" were saying all this was useless since normal battles are so simple that you can just hold a button and win. I just hope this doesn't end up like Witcher 3 where there were a decent number of skills, but the battles were so easy and simple that the number of skills really didn't matter.

Kuni

I don't think Tabata should be blamed for it either. Crisis Core and ***The 3rd Birthday (I accidentally wrote Type-0 initially...) had excellent cutscene direction. Type-0 had hardware limitations IIRC (but yes its cutscenes were awful)

With this game though with the size of the world plus the ability to change your costume obviously would cause cutscenes to most likely take a noticeable hit. XIII-2 and LR had changeable outfits showing in cutscenes as well and the cutscenes were 100x less enjoyable to watch than XIII's.

Some of the Metal Gears did this (specifically 3) and they we're done very well. Bioware games had fully customisable characters and also handle it well, DA:I in particular I remember being impressed with.

theofficefan99

Even if the plot sucked balls....MGSV.

Hmm got me there. I guess I should clarify and say an RPG.

Also TBH "cutscene direction" is probably not the right term to use. I've just noticed that a lot of RPG's with changeable costumes don't really have impressive cutscenes. There's graphical issues and a lot of standing around and robotic movement isn't uncommon. Of course some of these games have some exciting cutscenes, but comparing XIII-2 with XIII for example, and XIII is simply leagues ahead. Every cutscene was crafted with care and it shows.

Also, from what I've seen of XV, there is a lot of the Bioware/Bethesda-Esque standing around and talking, but I have also seen some regular cutscenes that seem pretty nicely directed. I guess they're just not very common in the first half.

Asd202

Let's be real. The problem is how there are made and customization has nothing to do with it. So many other games have no problem with this.

Strakt

Half way into chapter 2

Music is 10/10. This is probably what I love the most thus far.

Loving the game so far, combat is awesome, cutscenes are good, graphics look really good on ps4 pro (Not sure if patch is implemented yet or not).

rhandino

Banned

In-game outfits are not really the problem with bland or badly directed cutscenes.

I mean, Assassin's Creed I and II where visually stunning when they released but outside of some key events most of their cutscenes where more or less what you are getting from this game and I did not have custom outfits and II where mostly re-colors with 1 exception.

If I have to throw a wild guess I am going to say that is more a budget/time/priority thing... but then again this is the same company that thought that some of the scenes on Kingsglaive were Ok to put in the final product so who knows.

Half way into chapter 2

Music is 10/10. This is probably what I love the most thus far.

Loving the game so far, combat is awesome, cutscenes are good, graphics look really good on ps4 pro (Not sure if patch is implemented yet or not).

I think the only thing missing from the Pro version is the 60fps which will be released in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom