• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

SoulUnison

Banned
Can someone tell me what HUD options the game supports?

Can the Health Bars be contextual when you are not in combat so that when you roam the world the screen is rid of them and they appear only when you enter combat?

The demo only seems to support turning the entire HUD on or off, with a separate toggle for whether the Stamina Gauge is displayed or not.
I believe we've already been long confirmed to have slightly more options in the full version.

Personally, I'd like the option to move some HUD elements.
The weapon palette should be further into the corner of the screen, for instance.
Also, some of the constant button pop-ups/tutorial prompts are over done.

valkyre

The demo only seems to support turning the entire HUD on or off, with a separate toggle for whether the Stamina Gauge is displayed or not.
I believe we've already been long confirmed to have slightly more options in the full version.

I hope what you say is true... because for the life of me, I will never ever understand the need to have the health bars constantly on my screen when I am just roaming in a rest area or whatnot.

Can you select English in the menu like with Platinum Demo or just Japanese? Does this new demo support PS4 PRO and the promised enhancements (1080p @60FPS)? Does this demo have an exclusive unlock for the final game like with Platinum Demo?

Can you select English in the menu like with Platinum Demo or just Japanese? Does this new demo support PS4 PRO and the promised enhancements (1080p @60FPS)? Does this demo have an exclusive unlock for the final game like with Platinum Demo?

1. No.
2. No, they're still working on the 60FPS (won't be in at launch) Demo looks better on Pro
3. Nope but has a new trailer upon completion

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You mean during combat about the DOF? Or is it constant?

I didn't noticed during combat, mostly because i wasn't really paying attention. But when traveling on foot is fairly noticeable.

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks for the asnwer. :)

I hope the demo isn't timed.

It isn't, been screwing around with it every since it came out. The demo has an ending but you can load before the end of the demo. It also saves progress so realistically you can continue playing it for as long as you like!

Where did you find these guys? I've been wandering all over at night looking to scrap with some daemons but I can't find any outside of the goblin hunt.

They only started spawning after I killed a non-fiery giant for the first time. I usually run across the road and daemon's spawn pretty often.

Mailbox

Okay just played 2.5 hours of this thing and only stopped there because I forced my way to go through the main stuff so i can give an impression. This game is gonna eat away my time holy shit.

A few takeaways:
1: Combat is SOOOOOOOO much better than PD:
This isn't even a joke. How warping to away-points works, how locking on works, etc is completely different and so much better. For anyone thinking it feels too automated change up weapons mid-stream, move your L-stick to change attacks, and use your buddies. Shit is wack! To anyone having camera issues while fighting, SERIOUSLY: lock-on with R1.

2: There are plenty of bugs, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker:
Saw plenty of minor bugs throughout. Some were simple stuff like animation errors due to spacing, some where graphical glitches like hyper bright neon in weird places. Nothing really breaking here, and basically about the size of "glitch" i'd expect from any open world game tbh :p

3: Pro mode and lightweight:
I played on a ps4pro. When in Lightweight mode, the game was smooth as butter. No joke it was so smooth I thought I was going crazy, rock solid. Pro mode, with its better (though not 100% perfect) anti-aliasing and its better AF has stuttering, though its not as bad as you may think by that sentence. I'm pretty sure its frame pacing and not frame rate that's the issue on the pro mode. For perspective, Bloodborne has REALLY REALLY bad frame pacing and stutters morbidly whenever I play and everyone and I love the game, this game on pro mode is significantly better than Bloodborne in terms of frame pacing. In Battle it never bothered me (for extra reference).

4: The small things:
SO MANY SMALL THINGS omg. Seriously, in Galdin a guy asked if I wanted a massage, and then I got one, but I (noct) hurt my back. It added not a damn thing. I got nothing from that, it was just a piece of little animation for comedy. Put a real smile on my face. There's a few things like that around. From prompto's photo prompts to looking at shit your buds take interest in, to sitting next to a restaurant mascot that looks like its a meth addict. I just wanted to play more and explore. This was a very fun experience.

Also: I kept finding things related to the car in places marked by a pickaxe. idk what those are for, but it looks like I can give them to Cindy and pay her to do... something related to the car. she seemed kinda less than lukewarm about it like "come on, you're really gonna make me do this?" and then after I paid her a reasonable amount and then a cutscene played where apparently she installed something in the car... idk. I'm not japanese, can anyone tell me wtf happened :S

5: Nights are fucking scary man:
Take it from me, ACCEPT IGNIS'S FIRST REQUEST FOR CAMP. I almost died to an Iron Giant and 3 bombs. The creepy ambiance that plays at sundown and night is super creepy too. I actually got freaked and jumpy. This game has some atmospheric balls. also: IRON GIANTS FUCKING TALK. No joke ran away and I could hear gurbling and noises coming from it. Sounded like the Neir shades. Spoilers from later-game footage:
if the Episode Duscae cave with the Naga boss wanting its child(iirc) is any indication,
I think some fucked up shit is happening with "deamons"

6: There are things missing:
To anyone playing: expect even more when the game is released! The pax dungeon is inaccessible, and many side quests we have seen (like the cat and the fish one) are missing. Also, when you finish shit up with dino it plays a cg cutscene about the signing ceremony, but it just randomly cuts. Anyone know if that was just them editing something out or if that is how the scene is. Was kinda messy tbh, hope its just something edited out of the demo.

7: Trailer is spoilerific, and very very good.
Nothing more needs be said to that

8: It reminded me of ff12, but in a good way:
Many (few) probably know that i really don't like ff12. It has way too many fundamental problems with its plot and game mechanics for me to call it good. BUT, there are things I like about 12. one of them was a moment I had after you FINALLY get to the Ozmone plains (i think) and escape the seemingly never ending desert parts of the game (seriously did we really need a fucking "sand-sea" when we have seen NOTHING BUT SAND for fucking ever now) I honestly felt like I wanted to explore and that the world was opening up to me and I could embrace it. I felt that same way in this demo and it took me a fraction of the time. And I was in . I think that says something :p

9: This world is BIG, but further distanced:
I ran around the "adamtoise rock" (fucking creepy ass thing I tell ya. Swear it fucking makes noises) and it took a good few minutes while also fighting around. The reason the world might feel small to some is that things are far apart and you drive to them. If you just walked for a while you'd see its quite huge!!!

And that's my impressions. I'll 100% play more tomorrow. I wanna do some more hunts and fights :3

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Going to say my first 10 minutes, that car pushing scene did make a really positive impression. In that single scene they've become more likable to me than any of the 13 cast during their whole game(well maybe excluding sazh). Sure probably doesn't mean much but hey I've been really worried about this game so I'll take anything positive I can affirm for myself.

The only other thing I noticed is the option menu not remembering your last spot when you exit a sub menu and instead resets it to the top sub menu option.
Which is just absolutely stupid. Course nothing major but I'm a stickler for these UI things.
It's just stupid oversight.

Going to say my first 10 minutes, that car pushing scene did make a really positive impression. In that single scene they've become more likable to me than any of the 13 cast during their whole game(well maybe excluding sazh). Sure probably doesn't mean much but hey I've been really worried about this game so I'll take anything positive I can affirm for myself.

The only other thing I noticed is the option menu not remembering your last spot when you exit a sub menu and instead resets it to the top sub menu option.
Which is just absolutely stupid. Course nothing major but I'm a stickler for these UI things.
It's just stupid oversight.

That's especially weird since the game has no problem remembering which song I was playing in the Regalia.

It isn't, been screwing around with it every since it came out. The demo has an ending but you can load before the end of the demo. It also saves progress so realistically you can continue playing it for as long as you like!

Nice, thank you. I hope they release it for all stores then.

Mailbox

So I made wild magic with... some effect idk what I put in exactly (i can't read japanese).
But when I first cast it, something quite odd happened.
Fire, then Water (not blizzard) came twice then thunder.

No joke it was a watery, splashy explosion, not the icy wind of blizzard.
I think I accidentally made water magic...

DKHF

Really good to see all the positive impressions in here.
I think it might be a thing in the western version of the final game considering how that's how it is in the western versions of Kingdom Hearts. Guessing you will be able to change it in the final game.

valkyre

I didn't noticed during combat, mostly because i wasn't really paying attention. But when traveling on foot is fairly noticeable.

Well I hate what you just said! :)

Seriously the way you describe DoF being implemented sucks for me as well. And it honestly doesnt make sense for DoF to be implemented when you are just roaming the world...

jett

D-Member

Hair still looks like shit but everything else looks clean IMO, took those shots quickly they dont do it justice. Also possible my share settings are wrong.

It doesn't look like it's taking advantage of the Pro at all, resolution-wise. That shit look horrible. Even the HUD is obviously the same from the 1080p resolution.

I have no idea what's up with those two modes people are comparing though.

Xater

How is the frame rate on the base PS4? Did they manage to make that more stable. I thought it was unbearable in the demos they released before.

aitakute

I've been wondering but in Duscae demo, you can use some skills with your weapons. Been playing this demo but didn't see those. Did they get rid of those?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find some daemons at night? I've been looking all over for some tougher foes now that the hunts are running dry, but even traveling in the wilderness at night I can't seem to encounter any daemons.

I've been wondering but in Duscae demo, you can use some skills with your weapons. Been playing this demo but didn't see those. Did they get rid of those?

Unfortunately yes, they got rid of most of them, baked a couple into normal attacks, and repurposed some as link attacks.

Mailbox

Does anyone know where I might be able to find some daemons at night? I've been looking all over for some tougher foes now that the hunts are running dry, but even traveling in the wilderness at night I can't seem to encounter any daemons.

try just a little ways outside of hammerhead garage.

SaniOYOYOY

someone ripped the
ifrit
theme.

guys....I dont know.....I always keep expectation low, assume Squenix will screw something up, assume this game wont match all of the hype surrounding it, but now, what if this shit actually delivers? Are the world ready for a mainline FF that meets peoples expectation?

I cant guys im not ready...

sorry cant contain my hype :(

valkyre

I can't tell if it's time of day shift, or if the higher visual has better AO?

More importantly i dont even see the difference in image quality, ok it has slightly better shadows and there is less alliacing, but other than that i dont see sharpness/clarity/resolution improvement.

Man, this game...is so damn good. I was gonna play the whole demo and watch the video at the end, but after about 15 mins of playing decided im not gonna spoil the experience.

I already want to boot it back up though :/

Wow nights and days: from Anisotropic filtering to textures to AA to lighting (I noticed lighshafts on top of the garage in the PS4 PRO version and the tower is better lit) to LOD and draw distances (better vegetation) and shadows and AO etc... without forgetting HDR and better framerates and maybe more stuff in the December update.
And this not even the PS4 PRO dedicated version that Square Enix promised to make in the future that takes full advantage of the PS4 PRO capabilities.

valkyre

Wow nights and days: from Anisotropic filtering to textures to AA to lighting (I noticed lighshafts on top of the garage in the PS4 PRO version and the tower is better lit) to LOD and draw distances (better vegetation) and shadows etc... without forgetting HDR and better framerates and maybe more stuff in the December update.
And this not even the PS4 PRO dedicated version that Square Enix promised to make in the future that takes full advantage of the PS4 PRO capabilities.

I can also see clear advantage in textures and lighting, but shouldnt the IQ overall look much better due to downsampling or 4K like the Titanfall 2 comparison screens? In terms of clear and sharp image it doesnt look much different than base PS4.

Edit: also... hmm something else. The lighting and placement between these 2 shots is absolutely like for like...even the damn clouds are the same... it makes me wonder if this is PS4 vs PS4 Pro comparison, or PS4 Pro heavy graphics mode vs PS4 Pro 1080p lightweight mode...

And I am pretty sure it is just that. I dont think a OG PS4 is involved here.

Xater

So far the Xbox One version looks very comparable to base PS4 to me. The resolution might be slightly lower, but it's not a big difference.

benzy

I can also see clear advantage in textures and lighting, but shouldnt the IQ overall look much better due to downsampling or 4K like the Titanfall 2 comparison screens? In terms of clear and sharp image it doesnt look much different than base PS4.

It doesn't look to be doing any checkerboard rendering yet. 4K looks like it's just upscaling 1080p.

Supersampling? The PS4 PRO version maintains 1080p all the time while the PS4 version seems to use a dynamic resolution between 900p and 1080p. You need to render at resolution higher than 1080p to get supersampling. That is why you don't see better IQ in the comparison, just better effects and graphical details.

valkyre

It doesn't look to be doing any checkerboard rendering yet. 4K looks like it's just upscaling 1080p.

That would explain it.

Supersampling? The PS4 PRO version maintains 1080p all the time while the PS4 version seems to use a dynamic resolution between 900p and 1080p. You need to render at resolution higher than 1080p to get supersampling. That is why you don't see better IQ in the comparison, just better effects and graphical details.

Check my edit, I dont think this is a comparison between PS4 and Pro. I think its a comparison between Pro modes.

Venom Fox

Banned
Just a heads up guys. Don't forget that the PS4 Pro comparisons are of the 2 Pro modes and not OG to Pro.

The Image quality setting is exclusive to the PS4 Pro so both High quality and Lightweight settings could have benefits compared to the OG.

It seems the Light setting is an uncapped Framerate at 1080p while High quality is 30fps at 1080p with better lighting, AA, AO etc. As far as we know the OG has a dynamic resolution so even the light setting will have IQ benefits over the OG.

In short we need to have an OG/Light/High comparison in order to get a better idea of what benefits the Pro brings.

Edit: Beaten by a Bandersnatch.

Edit 2:

So far the High quality Pro mode has better Textures, Lighting, AA, AO, draw distance and more dense shrubs and grass.

Top Bottom