• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

AngryNeox

Neo Member
I'd like to thank the Pro for making me discover game mode on my monitor. The color on the standard mode looks literally gray to me now when I compare it to game mode.

Here are two screens I took of FFXV:

There is so much more color without making the image too saturated! Can't believe I've played games like this for two and a half years!
That's the thing. Everytime I read something like "Huh, this game has no color." or "In this version the colors are better." I think why don't they just adjust their TV to their likings?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I played a decent amount and I think I'm going to stop(to not spoil myself), it's fun enough not perfect but definitely serviceable(the problems I had still persist, I feel like if they had some form of animation cancel that would help me).
Now just waiting for someone to finish it and confirm that it doesn't fall apart at the end and I think this is going to be a buy. But overall the demo definitely has made way more enthusiastic. My confidence level in the game has basically gone from this could totally not be for me to at worst it's going to be something like an AC game(and I like those enough to play one once a while), a good fun way to kill time.
The characters are likable so far and if they all go through a decent arc throughout the game it could be something really great.

Well done.

Is there a translation of the menus anywhere (I'm struggling)? What I played looks good, runs smoothly and seems fun (standard PS4). I hope there is a way to keep lock on without holding down the button.

Digital Foundry announced a video for this at the TLOU comments on youtube. Interested to see the differences in detail (framerate, resolution, etc.)

Falk

that puzzling face
How are you guys finding the control schemes?

Better than Platinum at least?

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. It's REALLY hard to beat Platinum at action combat, I'm not sure why you're even making that comparison.

edit: nevermind, I brainfarted and thought of MGR/Bayonetta when I read that. If you're talking about walking around and bopping things with a toy hammer, yes, obviously it's a lot better than that, heh.

Gbraga

There's a new ability in the demo called Airslip, allows you to dodge (by pressing square) in the air. After 10 hours in Platinum Demo, it's a godsend!

Oh, really? Is it like the air dodge you have with Fire equipped in the Platinum Demo, but for all weapons?

WE TRICKSTER BOYZ

Keylow415

has anyone else notice the green tint in the game? i can really tell at night. i don't think its my tv because no other game does it. it like seeing a green tint of pixels.

silva1991

jtY5vVo.jpg

The fuck is my car doing inside of the restaurant in this position...

I can't talk to the guy to buff me up for the night fights because the car is on my way and I can't jump there lol.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. It's REALLY hard to beat Platinum at action combat, I'm not sure why you're even making that comparison.

edit: nevermind, I brainfarted and thought of MGR/Bayonetta when I read that. If you're talking about walking around and bopping things with a toy hammer, yes, obviously it's a lot better than that, heh.

Falk pls lol

Was wondering why you were having a go at me for the first sentence :p

Is it sharper in terms of input lag/animation priority (whatever it was that made it feel like Noctis was reacting to inputs very slowly) than it was in PD? Also didn't feel comfortable with the scheme in PD, especially when trying to change targets while in the midst of battle.

Ray Down

Banned
Does the demo save any progress you made?

In terms of glitchs all Igot was a dead bird getting stuck to a rock when I killed it.

wmlk

Ok I played a decent amount and I think I'm going to stop(to not spoil myself), it's fun enough not perfect but definitely serviceable(the problems I had still persist, I feel like if they had some form of animation cancel that would help me).
Now just waiting for someone to finish it and confirm that it doesn't fall apart at the end and I think this is going to be a buy. But overall the demo definitely has made way more enthusiastic. My confidence level in the game has basically gone from this could totally not be for me to at worst it's going to be something like an AC game(and I like those enough to play one once a while), a good fun way to kill time.
The characters are likable so far and if they all go through a decent arc throughout the game it could be something really great.

Well done.
Animation cancel to dodge is an unlockable ability

LordKasual

Banned
This game is basically the JRPG + WRPG mix I never knew i wanted as bad as i do now

Huge amount of space to cover like a Western game, but the game rewards you for random exploration like a JP game. I keep coming across new enemies, gear, weapons, ect. And entrances to dungeons and whatnot that I can't yet enter because it's a demo.

Found this while exploring around the Adamantoise. It gives the option to crouch under, but obviously doesn't let you inside. :(

XAgU3Gm.jpg

V399lur.jpg

I love the fact that this thing exists so much. It's basically Square acknowledging players who are clearly looking for a challenge, and giving one to them.

The Lv30 Iron Giant basically exists to deter you from exploring at night, but if by chance you're the type of player to strive to take one down, Hell gets pissed off with you and starts throwing these assholes. The coolest thing is, the regular Iron Giant's sword is has a massive collision box that takes hits but (obviously) does no damage to the giant. This guy's sword is on fire, and so touching it gives you Burn status. And he's bigger, so although his attacks are the same, he has alot more reach. It's such an interesting way to design an improved enemy, usually games would just buff the stats and increase the scale a bit.

I've already dropped the
Bandersnach
, so after i find a way to take this guy down i'm going to force myself to put the demo away.

I regret watching the first part of this game so much. I felt like I had already seen everything this area basically had to offer....the more i wonder around, the more obvious it is that we havent.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Square is doing no favor holding this demo in Japan only. This is amazing

Comparing it to the Platinum Demo...

Calling it obsolete would be an understatement

Bladenic

Yeah, don't get it. Maybe pre-orders in the West are good enough already.

The battle theme sounds so good omg

Don't be surprised if this makes it's way to NA PSN before release. Didn't they do something similar with WoFF?

Re: blocked dungeons, do we know if they're blocked until you take a relevant quest in the full game, or are they just blocked for the purposes of the demo?

I'd kinda appreciate it if its the first, to try and cut down on having to repeat dungeons if you happen to explore one without it being tied to a quest

LordKasual

Banned
Re: blocked dungeons, do we know if they're blocked until you take a relevant quest in the full game, or are they just blocked for the purposes of the demo?

I'd kinda appreciate it if its the first, to try and cut down on having to repeat dungeons if you happen to explore one without it being tied to a quest

The text blocking you from entering them specifically has "Judgment Disc" in the text, so it's probably just blocked for demo purposes. And i believe all the dungeons you can just walk into randomly are optional. From watching other people play around in them, the only thing really stopping you from completing them is getting Game Over'd by the enemies.

There are other areas in the game that are likely blocked off for story purposes, though. I came across one of the tombs and wasn't let in.

LordKano

I'm curious about the performance. I played the platinum demo and it was absolutely awful. So, how's the framerate and the IQ on a normal PS4 ?

RPGCrazied

How do you go about downloading it on a NA PS4? Sure, I won't understand a lick of it, but still like to see the performance since its part of the gold master?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Animation cancel to dodge is an unlockable ability

I see that's really good news to me then. Is it reasonably unlockable in the demo?
I've played in a way where I would get spoiled as minimal as possible so I haven't really looked at it.

If the answer is yes I think I might play a bit more just to play around how it feels with it.

DPtheGod

How do you go about downloading it on a NA PS4? Sure, I won't understand a lick of it, but still like to see the performance since its part of the gold master?

Hold down your ps button and on the power menu, go to log out of ps4. Create new user, create new psn, do Japan as your region and then use a guide or youtube video to follow the prompts. Make sure to say yes to activating as your primary ps4. Then go to the ps store on the JP account to initiate the download, switch to your Eng account and start it when it finishes :)

LordKasual

Banned
I'm curious about the performance. I played the platinum demo and it was absolutely awful. So, how's the framerate and the IQ on a normal PS4 ?

IQ is fine, hair aliasing takes getting used to but it's not going to spoil your experience. Framerate has "dips", but is stable 95% of the time, even with tons of enemies and effects happening. You probably won't even notice during actual fights, and it's never enough to hinder gameplay or raise an eyebrow.

The only real technical problem this game has, barring a bug or two, is the camera. We've had some shitty people demo this game, but now i understand why at least they seem so inept at controlling the camera. Its angle tends to not agree with the terrain in alot of areas, so you'll do something like get a sexy Linkstrike, but with a bush in the camera's face.

But Square already announced a day 1 patch to help with the camera, so i'm not worried.

I see that's really good news to me then. Is it reasonably unlockable in the demo?
I've played in a way where I would get spoiled as minimal as possible so I haven't really looked at it.

If the answer is yes I think I might play a bit more just to play around how it feels with it.

It's news to me too, i didn't know that. That would make more busy fights alot easier to manage.

Without the ability to easily cancel into dodge/parry, it gives the game a strong Monster Hunter vibe where you just have to know when and when not to commit to attacks. But when alot of mobs are running around, it ultimately just means you're going to get hit sometimes. I should find that skill asap.

Top Bottom