• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

JBwB

The VA work is pretty decent from everything I've seen so far. It's not great, but it's not bad either as some people here seem to suggest.

Also, is that the first time we've heard Luna's english VA? She's good.

can you guys please teach me how you watch videos so fast? these posts came 2 minutes later in a 6 minute video

It does seem kinda fishy haha.

sensui-tomo

They sound like anime dubs. I don't get how they had it so right with FF12 and it's gone downhill since.

The cast has voiced primarily anime (i dont know about luna's voice and Ardyn's voice though) And lets just say FF12 and DQ8 (just in case you'd pull that) were exceptions to Square's dub efforts and you should look at the rest of their dubbed stuff to get an idea on what to expect. Only expect FF12/DQ8 quality for DQ11 and Dragon quest heroes 2 (if we get it)

Squire

Banned
Ignis VA should have just talked in his normal voice without trying to sound grandiose.

Gladio is just straight up miscast, but yeah, the rest of them should've been directed to speak as naturally as possible. Even Daymond would've come out a lot better, based on what we've heard.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
1:41 Subtle Final Fantasy theme reference in the music
Ardyn's VA seems like a fun guy
Needs more Luna doing Luna things

Ridley327

The cast has voiced primarily anime (i dont know about luna's voice and Ardyn's voice though) And lets just say FF12 and DQ8 (just in case you'd pull that) were exceptions to Square's dub efforts and you should look at the rest of their dubbed stuff to get an idea on what to expect. Only expect FF12/DQ8 quality for DQ11 and Dragon quest heroes 2 (if we get it)

Don't forget about Nier!

Dark_castle

I love how when it comes to describing Lunafreya, the voice actor immediately tries to convince about how she's so strong and shit.

When are Final Fantasy games going to start having sets of characters who are not based on specific character archetypes?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I love how when it comes to describing Lunafreya, the voice actor immediately tries to convince about how she's so strong and shit.

When are Final Fantasy games going to start having sets of characters who are not based on specific character archetypes?

When did they? It's Star Wars of JRPG.

KaleidoscopicRevolvingAlbertosaurus.gif

Those water leaking in the background....

Omg

Mifec

Gladio is just straight up miscast, but yeah, the rest of them should've been directed to speak as naturally as possible. Even Daymond would've come out a lot better, based on what we've heard.

Luna was fine I think, Ardyn's VA shoulda toned it down in Kingslgaive, that opening with him talking to Regis is just embarrassing.

I'm said they didn't show Araena, her VA is good in a MMO of all things.

Ydelnae

They all sound good, imo. The difference between Gladio's voice and the VA's real voice surprises me.

It feels weird that everytime someone mentions Luna in any FFXV PR-related thing they have to follow up with "she's a VERY strong woman, such a GOOD character that don't need no man to fight for her beliefs I love her and she's not your typical FF lady" lol

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They all sound good, imo. The difference between Gladio's voice and the VA's real voice surprises me.

It feels weird that everytime someone mentions Luna in any FFXV PR-related thing they have to follow up with "she's a VERY strong woman, such a GOOD character that don't need no man to fight for her beliefs I love her and she's not your typical FF lady" lol

You're literally putting words in people's mouth.

Serious question - Why does everyone look like a they're in an edgy japanese pop band?

Like, I understand that this is the aesthetic the art direction wanted to go in, but is this really lending itself to the "fantasy" theme?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the game, but I have a real hard time "placing myself in the game" when I feel like the main dude look pretty douchey.

Tyaren

The English cast is mostly alright. I do think Prompto (especially), Regis, Ardyn and Noctis do a good job. Ignis (especially) and Gladio feel for me personally too different to their Japanese characters though. So, even if they deliver their lines well, I'm not really content with them. Gladio sounds too gruff and tough all the time, when he sounds actually more lighthearted and not nearly as monotone in Japanese and Ignis feels too snobbish to me. The kind of accent he has just brings all these stereotypical British snob characters to my mind. I'm glad he's addressing Noctis with "Noct" and not "Your Highness" anymore though.
Lunafreya and Cor feel a bit weak to me, just from the snippets that I've heard so far.

I will definitely be playing with the Japanese voices. I won't even try out the German voices because I know they will suck. Germany is usually very good at dubbing. Much better than Americans for example because we dub literally every foreign film or series for our market. Like in Japan, voice actors are in big demand here and they can make a good living from it. But video games, especially Japanese ones, do mostly get the crappy anime series treating. They are miles away from the quality that foreign movies or series are dubbed in. :/

Eww...the lighting of Luna's scenes is just bad. Even in less advanced games one console generation ago we had more cohesive and atmospheric lighting. It looks like she's on a theater stage with cardboard scenery behind her.

Squire

Banned
Luna was fine I think, Ardyn's VA shoulda toned it down in Kingslgaive, that opening with him talking to Regis is just embarrassing.

I'm said they didn't show Araena, her VA is good in a MMO of all things.

She's legit the best actor on this list, so it's really weird she's not in the video. More excited about Aranea now than ever before.

Dark_castle

VA: Noctis isn't your average prince bla bla bla

Proceeds to outline the plot of the vast majority of fantasy novels.

I guffawed irl.

Yea, his character arc based on description is about as generic as you can get. But to be fair, it's the quality of writing and the story-telling that makes or breaks the character.

MilkBeard

All of the English cast are good except for Gladio's actor.

Watching this video, I actually have a lot of interest to see more of Ardyn.

Slater

Banned

It's because of all the backlash from the change from Stella, people were(and some still are) convinced Luna was gonna be a damsel to Stella's rival so they have to hammer in that it's not like that

Ydelnae

You're literally putting words in people's mouth.

I was joking, but ever since they received the backlash from removing Stella from the game and showing Luna, they have indeed been making sure to always mention that Luna is a strong character on her own and that she is capable of achieving her objectives. It's not like I'm saying that they are lying, what they have shown from her in the game exactly matches those descriptions.

I guess you're right.. but this being such a big game i thought they'd splash the boat out so to speak.. on some good acting.

It looks odd in Japanese too.

any examples?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
any examples?
People don't move or talk like this.
jfUDAhj.gif

For a fantasy based on reality they should've been incredibly on point with acting and writing direction in terms of observing the way people act and talk but they dropped the ball there. It doesn't make it look more interesting to have actors behave or talk this way, it just makes it look cringe worthy because it's 2016 and the actin is somehow getting worse instead of better.

Dark_castle

It's because of all the backlash from the change from Stella, people were(and some still are) convinced Luna was gonna be a damsel to Stella's rival so they have to hammer in that it's not like that

I may be in minority, but at this point, I can't help but roll my eyes every time a developer tries to make a badass, so STRONK female character that I find myself liking the more average female characters, like say Estelle from Trails in the Sky. I mean yeah she can be abit of a 'manly' female character, but once you played the game and get to know her, she has a lot of feminine characteristics, and even if that doesn't make her strong or whatever, it's fine. I don't need STRONK female characters, just likeable ones.

Oh and in the opposite spectrum, female characters who are ridiculously bubbly or dressed to provide fanservice, ala Vanille and in XV, Cidney are my worst nightmare. Gah.

People don't move or talk like this.
jfUDAhj.gif

For a fantasy based on reality they should've been incredibly on point with acting and writing direction in terms of observing the way people act and talk but they dropped the ball there. It doesn't make it look more interesting to have actors behave or talk this way, it just makes it look cringe worthy because it's 2016 and the actin is somehow getting worse instead of better.

Correct. I can't fathom how they think it's normal for anybody to act like how Iris did in the video. It's some stupid shit you see in anime, not actual gestures people do in real life. Jesus christ, it makes me dislike Iris as a character already.

Astara

Neo Member
Sounds surprisingly good to me. By the way I loved the scene between Noctis and Regis, I think their scenes are going to be great, liked the feeling between both VA.

Top Bottom