• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

People don't move or talk like this.
jfUDAhj.gif

For a fantasy based on reality they should've been incredibly on point with acting and writing direction in terms of observing the way people act and talk but they dropped the ball there. It doesn't make it look more interesting to have actors behave or talk this way, it just makes it look cringe worthy because it's 2016 and the actin is somehow getting worse instead of better.

People had the same issues with Vanille in 13 saying "People don't move like this". That kind of movement is considered to be cute for Japanese girls. (don't ask, dont know why either lol)
I admit though this animation seems a bit over the top.
Vanille was perfectly fine though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
People had the same issues with Vanille in 13 saying "People don't move like this". That kind of movement is considered to be cute for Japanese girls. (don't ask, dont know why either lol)
Vanille was just a grating. It's considered cute for Japanese anime, not actual people...

I can't get over CG noctis, he looks so weird :( it's like CG Tidus and in-game Tidus...

Vanille was just a grating. It's considered cute for Japanese anime, not actual people...

yeah that's what i meant. Although games aren't real life too, but i guess the realistic aesthetic makes it look strange. :S

Kindekuma

Banned
People don't move or talk like this.
jfUDAhj.gif

For a fantasy based on reality they should've been incredibly on point with acting and writing direction in terms of observing the way people act and talk but they dropped the ball there. It doesn't make it look more interesting to have actors behave or talk this way, it just makes it look cringe worthy because it's 2016 and the actin is somehow getting worse instead of better.

LOL man have you ever watched one character fight in XV? It's like watching Star Wars Episode II green screen recordings. Normal face to face dialogue like in real life conversations would be boring as hell to watch in a game. I'd have rather exaggerated motions than just still interactions.

sensui-tomo

What's the story?

they both sound very very similar to each other to the point that matt mercer is troy baker's replacement voice if he isnt able to perform something he did in the past. It'd be like wild wild west (90s movie) where we had 3 characters acted by the same person interacting with each other simultaneously. (dont ask whos fucking bright idea that was)
now if Whats the story meant something else i apologize for this redundant post.

Twookie

looks like some tries to control a fucking mannequin for the first time or something

disgusting

also the scene when iris says "you know, this really feels like a date" and then when she gets shot down by noct
the movement she makes then is fucking dumb as fuck/anime

KupoNut

Uncovered vs this trailer:

Couldn't get the exact same frame for last one, but a lot of change in Luna's face.

No idea if those lighting changes are a good thing or not. I feel like it's always a little too bright, even in the cutscenes in the Master Version gameplay video.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
-Out of the party I think Prompto and Gladiolus' sound the weakest and I wonder how the script and non-lip synced cutscenes might affect everyone's performance
-I really like Luna's VA reminds me of Lady Iceheart's VA from FFXIV: Heavensward.
-I love how Ardyn's VA thinks the character is greasy, "oily" to be exact, he sounds fantastic and is really into the role.

Also some Noctis english vs Japanese comparisons for ya'll:
https://youtu.be/SoTVrFfSi8s?t=46 0:46-0:55
https://youtu.be/nJDAJ35F3D0?t=168 2:48-2:57

https://youtu.be/SoTVrFfSi8s?t=64 1:04-1:17
https://youtu.be/r3_l2zVsF_0?t=3035:03-5:12

AudioEppa

I only watched about two minutes of it because I don't want to see too much footage, but the voice work was really good. I can always recognize bad or good voice acting, but regardless I will always prefer english dub over anything else.

Over 3 months away...

Squire

Banned

I played some of XIII last year and don't recall finding Vanille too exaggerated either.

Maybe minor role like Cidney and Cid.

Makes me wonder if the Iodelas emperor will even show its face in the final game.

I wonder. She's listed in the video description, so you'd think they actually did want to put her in this, but couldn't. Up to now I've always figured Aranea would be another Jihl Nabaat, but who knows!

Yeah I think the whole VA crew is great, definitely playing it in english!

Ardyn is definitely a favorite character already, and Luna's voice is very fitting. Noctis's emotional acting is well done too. All of it is good. Gladio is my least favorite, but nothing that ruins it.

Twookie

i actually kinda liked the performance in this video, noct had me surprised actually

glad and ignis was still kinda iffy tho

english is not my first language so that may be why i like it

Tyaren

Uncovered vs this trailer:
Couldn't get the exact same frame for last one, but a lot of change in Luna's face.

It is a damn shame what they did to the great lighting the game once had. It is actually the biggest gripe I have regarding the visuals. Who cares if it isn't fully HD or there are a few jaggies (mostly just visible in stills) but the lighting...? :(

KaleidoscopicRevolvingAlbertosaurus.gif

There's no depth and no plasticity anymore, no artistry. It looks as if Luna is on a theater stage with cardboard props behind her. The whole atmosphere of this game took a huge hit.
Other games, even in the last console generation, do a much better job. What the hell happened here?

I played some of XIII last year and don't recall finding Vanille too exaggerated either.

I remember people saying how dumb her run animation was, and some other movements in cutscenes like fist pumping etc
i dunno, she's my favourite character in 13 so i don't mind lol

ckohler

Judging by this video and others I've seen (and the demo) I think all of the voices fit except for Gladio. He just sounds way too forced and "fakey".

Yep now it makes sense why Gladio is so bad. It's a guy without a deep voice trying to make it sound deep :/

They should have gotten Patrick Seitz.

Bladenic

-Out of the party I think Prompto and Gladiolus' sound the weakest and I wonder how the script and non-lip synced cutscenes might affect everyone's performance
-I really like Luna's VA reminds me of Lady Iceheart's VA from FFXIV: Heavensward.
-I love how Ardyn's VA thinks the character is greasy, "oily" to be exact, he sounds fantastic and is really into the role.

Are they not syncing the lips to the English VA? They did it for XIII, would be weird to regress now.

ViciousDS

Banned
lol before they even showed Croy's actor.....I knew right away and was just like.....fuck

Everytime croy goes on a rampage I'm going to yell

"It's High Noon" -slice slice slice slice-

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
yeah that's what i meant. Although games aren't real life too, but i guess the realistic aesthetic makes it look strange. :S
Yea but it's a fantasy based on reality. The more realistic they make the visuals, (Nomura face aside), the more this stuff sticks out. They have a much higher budget than say SO5 or Xenoblade but are producing similar results in terms of acting. Which to me is pretty baffling.

LOL man have you ever watched one character fight in XV? It's like watching Star Wars Episode II green screen recordings. Normal face to face dialogue like in real life conversations would be boring as hell to watch in a game. I'd have rather exaggerated motions than just still interactions.
Ok, implying that because it's a game that actors have to act like dolls is incredibly limiting to the medium, look at some of the most praised recent games and observe their acting, it's not that difficult to animate nuanced human interaction, i'm sure the actors would even prefer that over this. Just as another thing, games mostly feature stylized fighting but feature some great acting in scenes. Take UC4's fight animations for example.

It's still a game. Shit get's exaggerated but there are actual people who are incredibly bubbly like this who sway when excited in real life, idk why this is all that surprising tbh
She's not even bubbly or excited at all in that gif, that's just the way she moves, like a 3D anime character. None of her mannerisms indicate that the person directing looked outside and drew from life. Let's not do this song and dance, we know exactly what the source for these mannerisms are.
k0bclVs.gif

It's not real life. I don't even have an issue with stylized acting per se or characters who're easily excited, as that can be done well, and has been done well WAY better in this medium, (Ellie anyone?), but it's not done well here. Like the faces, it's something we've seen a thousand times already.

Koozek

I'm cool with these voices here, but I'll still probably play it in Japanese first. I'd always rather play in the native language if possible.

I'm honestly thinking about doing this, too, even though the English VA kinda grew on me after watching the recent 50min footage and I've been pretty persistent about not having the nerve to endure cheesy, overacted Japanese VA anymore nowadays, BUT the Brotherhood episodes (especially the recent one) sounded surprisingly natural and warm. I hope the game has the same direction. Problem is that in that footage some of the banter lines weren't subtitled, which could make you miss out on some small but nice moments.

Zukuu

Banned

Urgh even if I would like to give the enlgish VA a chance, that lip-syncing is worse than Life Is Strange, which is quite a feat by itself, but even more so for such a AAAAAA title and flagline game for an entire console generation. Wtf.

KupoNut

It is a damn shame what they did to the great lighting the game once had. It is actually the biggest gripe I have regarding the visuals. Who cares if it isn't fully HD or there are a few jaggies (mostly just visible in stills) but the lighting...? :(

KaleidoscopicRevolvingAlbertosaurus.gif

There's no depth and no plasticity anymore, no artistry. It looks as if Luna is on a theater stage with cardboard props behind her. The whole atmosphere of this game took a huge hit.
Other games, even in the last console generation, do a much better job. What the hell happened here?

My thoughts exactly. I really hope things change in those additional two months, but I'm not holding my breath. Lighting took a huge downgrade :/

ViciousDS

Banned
As much as I do love Final Fantasy it almost seems as if a shake up has been needed for a long time at that company. Maybe with the shift to mostly a western audience maybe they should let one of their western teams lead and the japanese team does support?

How do we still have awkward anime movements in this day and age is just weird. I'm all for body language....believe me I know plenty who move like the way she does nervously but that awkward movement of "don't run away and disagree with me!!! while I look stupid!" Is just old as hell

Top Bottom