• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

Ochibi

I will definitely be playing with the Japanese voices. I won't even try out the German voices because I know they will suck. Germany is usually very good at dubbing. Much better than Americans for example because we dub literally every foreign film or series for our market. Like in Japan, voice actors are in big demand here and they can make a good living from it. But video games, especially Japanese ones, do mostly get the crappy anime series treating. They are miles away from the quality that foreign movies or series are dubbed in. :/

From a French who went to Gamescom and heard German voices, they are quite good (even if it's sound strange, because it's not my mother tongue)

Koozek

I hate XV with a burning passion as much as anybody but I'm not bothered by the animu character motions because it's an animu game.

Ironically I AM bothered by animu english voice acting!

0XBjVf9.png

Noctis's like
H7URjhm.gif

I still don't understand how you could interpret his body language as "Not interested", mainly the hand gesture. At least he turns his body away. Does anyone know what he says in Japanese and if that's a typical Japanese gesture for that?

Slater

Banned
0XBjVf9.png

I still don't understand how you could interpret his body language as "Not interested", mainly the hand gesture. At least he turns his body away. Does anyone know what he says in Japanese and if that's a typical Japanese gesture for that?

He literally says Not interested in the English trailer.

The arm and hand gesture look like that of someone asking a stripper to come over.

artsi

H7URjhm.gif

He says:

"Not interested"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Setsu00

0XBjVf9.png

He says pretty much the same thing: 「興味ないね」 (kyoumi nai ne, "Not interested, you know?").

jett

D-Member
Are they not syncing the lips to the English VA? They did it for XIII, would be weird to regress now.

It's not GREAT, but they're doing it/have done it. The lip-syncing is clearly different in these videos. I think the Japanese animation may be better.

edit: only Noctis looks fine. Ignis is just randomly moving his lips in the English footage, lol.

Also, it's kinda sad how much better the Uncovered footage looks, in all respects, it's not just image quality. This game's graphics seriously keep on looking worse literally every single time they show it.

English seems fine. Unsure if I'll play in English or Japanese though yet. Will probably start in English.

No lies I'm probably playing this in German. Because it sounds awesome and I won't have to pay as much attention to how bad the writing is, something I couldn't avoid with Japanese or English dubs.

Dy_Cy

Because they went on record saying that they made attempts to make the characters and world more realistic. I assume they meant more than just switching to a physically based rendering pipeline, especially with all the visits to other places gathering references for the game. Like the witcher has a dude who's fighting style is based on dancing but Geralt has some wonderfully human moments with a huge amount of the cast.

Yeah but it's not the Witcher. Compared to a lot of japanese games the game does have realistic animations, but it was obvious from the start that it would retain the modern Final Fantasy aesthetic which draws a lot from anime. That's part of its charm for a lot of people.

gfxtwin

I can't be fucked to care all that much about FF15. Everything about it aside from character and creature designs is so far removed from what I love about FF, and even as a AAA game on its own merits the gameplay looks so bland. Hope I'm wrong. And really hope FF7 remake has more interesting gameplay that what has been shown of FF15.

Dark_castle

AMAZING. Simply amazing!

B-but Luna is a weak damsel in distress! D:

You know what, I WISH Luna is a weak damsel in distress. I WISH Tabata had the guts to come out and say, look you Versus XIII fanbois, Stella is dead, new character called Luna is not like her, I'm making the character Luna the way I wanted her to be, not to be some kind of substitute to Stella who supposedly share the similar trait because I don't want Versus XIII fanboys to get angry at me.

That might cause some uproar, but believe it when I say I'd have more respect for the man if such decision is made. Luna doesn't need to have the fierce eyes, she doesn't need to push the soldier away, she doesn't need any of that! You Stella fanboys made Tabata manufactured a 'strong' woman in Luna, instead of letting the writers write the kind of female character they intended.

I didn't either, but last time I asked I think the answer was that Biggs asks him to fully join AVALANCHE and they can pay him later or something, and Cloud says "Not interested" with this gesture as in "Nope, pay me now". I haven't played FFVII in years.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah but it's not the Witcher. Compared to a lot of japanese games the game does have realistic animations, but it was obvious from the start that it would retain the modern Final Fantasy aesthetic which draws a lot from anime. That's part of its charm for a lot of people.
Really not seeing a big difference between that, and this. Both feature mocapped characters but neither have nuanced acting. In fact, if you told me that the same person was asked to do the mocap for both characters, I'd believe you. If they're gonna talk about making the characters realistic they should deliver instead of sticking to the same thing.

I didn't either, but last time I asked I think the answer was that Biggs asks him to fully join AVALANCHE and he can get paid later or something, and Cloud says "Not interested" with this gesture as in "Nope, pay me now".
This makes a lot more sense if true. "Not interested" is a really out of place line.

Looked pretty good to me. Why does everyone seem to hate the English voice acting so much?

lol most of those peeps are obviously anime fans. Hell just look at the persona threads where with you can see Gaf members anime avatars piling on eng dub back to back.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Jennipeg

They seem ok, Prompto makes me the most nervous. Everything I have heard so far has been terrible.

Luna seems ok, her voice is a bit flat but i'd have to hear more to judge. I still can't get over how stupid the name Lunafreya is. Luna or Freya would be fine, just pick one.

The voice cast seems pretty solid. The end of the video got me pretty hyped for the game, haha. Can't wait to finally play this come November!

wmlk

Isn't Iris like 15 years old? I don't know why you're expecting her to act more normal like Luna for example.

jett

D-Member
Lip-syncing animation comparison, ENG on left, JPN on right.

xCwUGi0.gif
1RaII9e.gif

The E3 footage seems early though. Lots of other characters aren't synced to English at all.

Ran rp

Isn't Iris like 15 years old? I don't know why you're expecting her to act more normal like Luna for example.

Official PR says she's a grown woman in XV.

edit:

http://gematsu.com/2016/07/final-fantasy-xv-details-ravus-iris-dialogue-choices-shops

Gladilous’ younger sister. She escaped the Capital City after it was attacked by the Niflheim Empire and is now living in the city of Lestallum. She has known Noctis and Ignis since she was a child, and is a trusted friend. She is a strong girl at her core who can still be positive even in a tough situation.

Iris appears as a child in “Episode 3: Sword and Shield” of the five-episode anime special Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV. In Final Fantsay XV, she appears as a grown woman.

Tyaren

From a French who went to Gamescom and heard German voices, they are quite good (even if it's sound strange, because it's not my mother tongue)

No lies I'm probably playing this in German. Because it sounds awesome and I won't have to pay as much attention to how bad the writing is, something I couldn't avoid with Japanese or English dubs.

So the German dubbing is actually decent? Color me surprised... O: Is there any material online that I can watch to make my own assessment?

brad-t

You know what, I WISH Luna is a weak damsel in distress. I WISH Tabata had the guts to come out and say, look you Versus XIII fanbois, Stella is dead, new character called Luna is not like her, I'm making the character Luna the way I wanted her to be, not to be some kind of substitute to Stella who supposedly share the similar trait because I don't want Versus XIII fanboys to get angry at me.

That might cause some uproar, but believe it when I say I'd have more respect for the man if such decision is made. Luna doesn't need to have the fierce eyes, she doesn't need to push the soldier away, she doesn't need any of that! You Stella fanboys made Tabata manufactured a 'strong' woman in Luna, instead of letting the writers write the kind of female character they intended.

lol?

SilentRob

So the German dubbing is actually decent? Color me surprised... O: Is there any material online that I can watch to make my own assessment?

Yeah, the german voices are pretty decent, certainly better than the english ones. Except of Pronto. He's actually even worse in german, sounds like someone doing an over exaggerated parody of the stereotypical comedy relief anime character.

This has to be a parody of a post I don't know about.

bunkitz

The cast themselves seem like pretty cool people. They seem really nice. I actually like Regis and Noctis' voice actors, unlike the rest of Noctis' group. Ignis' VA really does sound much better just talking naturally, as does Prompto's. I feel like Gladio's is a little like Ignis' in that he sounds like he's trying a little too hard to have a deep and heavy voice. Luna's is pretty good, although it sounds just a tiny bit off for me. Ardyn's is good too, and it's always lovely to see an actor having so much fun with a role they're playing. I like Cor's VA too. Sounds like a good fit so far from what I've heard.

It was a little exciting to finally hear Luna, though, and see some scenes with her, haha.

I wonder how much we'll actually hear of Regis, though, given his fate in Kingsglaive. I think it's safe to assume we'll have some flashbacks from Noctis, or maybe even Cor.

Ferr986

We are just expecting her to act like a regular human being. No 15 years old girl acts like this.

Best part about the Stella vs Luna thing is people talking about Stella like they knew who the fuck she was.

She maybe the strongest female ever or the weakest damsel in mistress, but no one knows because we didn't see shit about Versus 13. People is just projecting how Stella was just with 30 secs of her with a serious face.

Zukuu

Banned
We are just expecting her to act like a regular human being. No 15 years old girl acts like this.

Best part about the Stella vs Luna thing is people talking about Stella like they knew who the fuck she was.

She maybe the strongest female ever or the weakest damsel in mistress, but no one knows because we didn't see shit about Versus 13. People is just projecting how Stella was just with 30 secs of her with a serious face.
But that are 30 secs more than anything Luna has to show for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It isn't about what she does, it's more about how she looks. They made her far more "weaker" and "softer" looking for no apparent reason.

From Gamescom via Koozek

Regis VO from the Uncovered trailer (surprisingly decent, though it's just a narration, the real test is how natural dialogue sounds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghWp67-ims8

Off-screen bits and pieces here from gamescom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHEvDnWs6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd9dXiRrW3M

Tyaren

Except of Pronto. He's actually even worse in german, sounds like someone doing an over exaggerated parody of the stereotypical comedy relief anime character.

The Japanese voice actor of Prompto is not by chance also the German one? The Japanese actor, Tesuya Kakihara, actually grew up in Germany and speaks it fluently.
Here's he speaking German:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVOcr6tXuRo

From Gamescom via Koozek

Lol, the first link, of German the voice over, is actually blocked in German Youtube. XD

Oh no, we're doing these "actors talking about their characters" videos in games now, too? I can't stand movie trailers/ads that do this, they get right the hell under my skin.

It sounds like your average anime-ish dub for a Japanese RPG.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This may come as a shock to you but 15 year olds don't act like this either, outside of an anime club in a highschool.

Nit a fan of the english dub BUT it's ok ..

There is nothing special about it , just average to my hears

I wish i could say something more positive about it , but it feels like the works as been done properly but the voice choice didn't go as well .

Average , almost disapointing

Gbraga

Uncovered vs this trailer:

Couldn't get the exact same frame for last one, but a lot of change in Luna's face.

EDIT: got a better frame, fixed it.

I wonder if it's just a ToD difference. The more recent one looks much better in this comparison, imo.

Top Bottom