• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Ships 3M Units Worldwide

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Square Enix sold the soul of Final Fantasy to capture mainstream and this is what they get?

I bet they were expecting 5 million day 1 sales with 50 million lifetime, cause Witcher 3 did as much with it's action combat.

Loose - loose situation all around with massive L for long term Final Fantasy fans and smack in the head for SE. This seems to be bigger failure than Forspoken, considering pedigree of this franchise.
Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Ansphn

Square Enix sold the soul of Final Fantasy to capture mainstream and this is what they get?

I bet they were expecting 5 million day 1 sales with 50 million lifetime, cause Witcher 3 did as much with it's action combat.

Loose - loose situation all around with massive L for long term Final Fantasy fans and smack in the head for SE. This seems to be bigger failure than Forspoken, considering pedigree of this franchise.
No they simply wanted to make money from Final Fantasy again. Whatever you're drinking or smoking this morning, put it down..

lucbr

Are physical copies only shipped or sold through?

Anyway, a decent performance. And for sure the game will still sell a lot over time! It deserves.

mrmustard

Banned
Seriously when was the last time Xbox disclosed sales numbers on their game
Doesn't make much sense with Game Pass, don't you think? They could do the player numbers, but then it goes: 'Lul, those are all 1 Dollar trials and 99% uninstalled it after 10 seconds'. It's better for everybody if they stay quiet.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Decent performance. Curious to see long term sales, i think this will remain slightly behind FFVII remake and probably not do as well as rebirth.

Or rather, its weird they decided to release 2 big FF games on the same year. Feels like creating competition for itself.

yazenov

Imran Khan panicking right now that his concerned post is aging like spoiled milk.

It's a fantastic sale for FF16 considering the PS5 user base was hampered by the PS5 shortages. It will continue to sell well as more people get their hands on the console as it's one of the best RPGs ever on any console. Good word of mouth and excellent reviews will continue to boost sales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Fastest Selling PlayStation Exclusives:
• 1st: God Of War Ragnarok: 5.1+ Million (11+ Million)
• 2nd: The Last Of Us Part II: 4+ Million (10+ Million)
• 3rd: Final Fantasy VII Remake: 3.5+ Million (5+ Million Shipped)
• 4th: Spider-Man: 3.3+ Million (20+ Million)
• 5th: God Of War: 3.1+ Million (23+ Million)
• 6th: Final Fantasy XVI: 3+ Million
7th: Horizon Zero Dawn: 2.6+ Million (23+ Million)
• 8th: Ghost Of Tsushima: 2.4+ Million (9.73+ Million)
Added Horizon to your list at #7.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Shipments people, not just sales.
In any case, decent performance. I'm not sure why people keep bringing up FFXV's multiplatform release when the supermajority of sales were on PS4 at launch, which wasn't too far ahead of where the PS5 is now in terms of sales, but I digress.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Shipments people, not just sales.
In any case, decent performance. I'm not sure why people keep bringing up FFXV's multiplatform release when the supermajority of sales were on PS4 at launch, which wasn't too far ahead of where the PS5 is now in terms of sales, but I digress.
What are digital shipments?

Mr.Phoenix

shocked that ff15 sold that much in one day. Really did damage to the brand
Helps that they released a whole CGI movie before its release lol...and that it was on more than one platform and to a larger install base. Oh.. lets not forget, games were $60 then. and oh... 7 years between it and FF13.

Last edited:
Nah it's gonna be chill. Nauty boy won't be around. Actual physical sales might not be that big in Japan especially with digital but I guess we'll wait and see. I'm really looking forward to hardware sales though.

In Japan MediaCreate the range I guess is:

FF16 first week: 200-450K
PS5 hardware: 60-110K

By comparison for the same week:
Switch: 70-90K
Xbox Series: 125

Spitfire098

Nah it's gonna be chill. Nauty boy won't be around. Actual physical sales might not be that big in Japan especially with digital but I guess we'll wait and see. I'm really looking forward to hardware sales though.
Bro consistently had the first or second comment on those japan sales threads. It's like he wakes up every Thursday and just refreshes the site to post on that thread. 🤣

Shifty1897

Given the ridiculous production values in this game, 3 million in sales is probably not profitable yet.

I do think the game will have a long tail. People are burned by FF13 and FF15, or too busy playing Zelda or Diablo, but positive word of mouth will eventually generate more sales.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
In
Given the ridiculous production values in this game, 3 million in sales is probably not profitable yet.
This game is much much more on a budget than every main entry that came before it and it’s pretty obvious when playing it. If anything quite the contrary, I’m pretty confident that they widely broke even already long before the 3 ml mark.

I do think the game will have a long tail. People are burned by FF13 and FF15, or too busy playing Zelda or Diablo, but positive word of mouth will eventually generate more sales.

I think people don’t acknowledge how cheap Japan is these days.

Yen is really low, wages aren’t anywhere near as high as in California

So while it’s impressive comparing FF16 to GoWR, it probably has a fraction of the budget despite being very high quality

Is this a joke comment?

Ansphn

Honestly that’s the main reason I’d be in favor of Sony acquiring Square. Better tech sharing and tools
One of the best gaming engine out should be used more by PS partners. Good thing PlayStation recently appointed someone from Guerilla to head of development strategy recently. I think Decima will be used more not only for 1st party but also close 3rd party partners like Square (Like Kojima studios) and Square can just use one of Sony PC port studios to port their games to PC since main-line FF is PlayStation and PC exclusive anyways.

Michiel van der Leeuw will be stepping away from his studio leadership role to focus on leading technology and strategy for the company’s Decima engine.

So they have bigger plans for Decima than just for their studio

Last edited:
One of the best gaming engine out should be used more by PS partners. Good thing PlayStation recently appointed someone from Guerilla to head of development strategy recently. I think Decima will be used more not only for 1st party but also close 3rd party partners like Square (Like Kojima studios) and Square can just use one of Sony PC port studios to port their games to PC since main-line FF is PlayStation and PC exclusive anyways.

Decima would be perfect for square.

Horizon is basically the same style of game now, and FF could really improve their NPCs and Horizon tech is wizardry for that aspect

Last edited:
Top Bottom