• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

Amending one part of the constitution *does not* mean removing all your freedoms. It means updating an out of date law. Yes, it would remove one particular freedom to own a gun. (It would actually make you more safe, though).

People used to have the freedom to smack their kids here in the UK. Now it's been outlawed. Times change.

Again, I'm not against some gun laws being strengthened. That said, I think this is a lot more complex issue than some people like to admit. For example, you mention being safer, it depends on exactly what was changed on whether I would be safer or not. Another example is people claiming that it would solve the terrorist activity. I've always been of the opinion that those who wish to commit those kinds of terroris acts will find alternate methods of killing like the recent tragedy in France.

We do need reform, but an outright ban for all Americans is not something I agree with.

I've always been of the opinion that those who wish to commit those kinds of terroris acts will find alternate methods of killing like the recent tragedy in France.

We do need reform, but an outright ban for all Americans is not something I agree with.

Why do you think Americans need guns?

Wiped89

You need to be careful with the use 'gun owners' which is traditionally describing law abiding citizens here in the States, versus 'criminals with guns' which make up the immense majority of the crime statistics.

Generalizations will not get your argument to have any unbiased weight.

It is not your average law abiding citizen walking into the next town over, shooting people up in those cities. It is the people who would still have, and still acquire said firearms illegally shooting the place up, when law abiding citizen is removed from the equation to equally arm.

It is a very complex issue, where issuing a ban will not simply solve, just like that.

Gun owners who are also criminals are still gun owners. They are just using guns to commit crimes. Guns certainly make it a lot easier to do so.

I'm sorry, but I fundamentally disagree with your reasoning. Those crimes are not happening because 'law abiding citizens don't have guns'. It is because the criminals DO.

Here in the UK, guns are illegal. A very, very small minority of people get hold of illegal guns and use them to commit crimes. But it is a VERY small minority, because guns are very hard to get hold of anywhere in the country.

It is a fundamental difference in perspective.
Americans: 'I need a gun to protect myself'
Europeans: 'We don't want guns because people would be hurt or killed by them'

Somehow you think your freedom to own a gun is more important than my freedom to not be shot in the street.

Obviously, I don't think that and that's why we have laws in place against murder. Of course I have no control over whether someone abides by the law.

Again, I'm not against some gun laws being strengthened. That said, I think this is a lot more complex issue than some people like to admit. For example, you mention being safer, it depends on exactly what was changed on whether I would be safer or not. Another example is people claiming that it would solve the terrorist activity. I've always been of the opinion that those who wish to commit those kinds of terroris acts will find alternate methods of killing like the recent tragedy in France.

Statistically, owning a firearm makes you and your family less safe

Oh if that were only that easy. Sadly it is not.

FunFact: The cities with the highest gun control, have the highest violent gun crimes/murders here. Bad Guy will always find a way, especially when he knows Good Guy follows the laws he does not.

[citation needed]

You need to be careful with the use 'gun owners' which is traditionally describing law abiding citizens here in the States, versus 'criminals with guns' which make up the immense majority of the crime statistics.

[citation needed]

You might start to notice a trend. All statistics can be worded in ways to support your point; even assuming they're true, they're worthless without a source for your fellow debaters to know the specifics of those statistics.

An example: your second, statement, "The majority of crimes are commited by criminals" is a truism. By definition the second you commit a crime you are a criminal, otherwise it's not a crime.

Neither will unsourced statements.

It is not your average law abiding citizen walking into the next town over, shooting people up in those cities. It is the people who would still have, and still acquire said firearms illegally shooting the place up, when law abiding citizen is removed from the equation to equally arm.

Ask yourself where those guns and bullets would come from, a few years after they've been made illegal and stopped being manufactured. Actually, if that thought experiment is too bothersome, do an actual experiment; come to Spain, or any first world country that has outlawed guns a few decades ago, and try to acquire a working gun and bullets.

It is a very complex issue, where issuing a ban will not simply solve, just like that.

It will solve it a few years down the road, but of course who the fuck cares about the future?

Neiteio

This sounds like the argument that if you ban guns, people will still kill each other with knives. It misses the point, which is that making it easy to acquire guns makes it easier for terrorists to kill people. Every case of domestic terrorism I can think of involved a legally acquired (and often high-capacity) firearm. You think the kid who killed all those elementary schoolers in Sandy Hook would've killed nearly as many people if he had entered the school with a knife?

LordRaptor

Another example is people claiming that it would solve the terrorist activity. I've always been of the opinion that those who wish to commit those kinds of terroris acts will find alternate methods of killing like the recent tragedy in France.

You're 100% right, no amount of legislation is going to prevent a determined killer from a terrorist act.

Having said that, you had the president of the US literally crying - weeping actual tears - on national television at the comparative numbers involved of deaths from terrorism and avoidable deaths from lack of gun control in the last decade.

Wiped89

I really don't think it is that complex, I'm sorry.
I mention people being safer, yes, because in America - even accounting for population size:
-There are more gun-related accidents than in developed Europe
-You are more likely to be hurt or killed by a family member in an accident than by a stranger
-There are more 'mass shootings' (ie shootings of a group of people) than Europe
-There are many more school shootings than in Europe
-Guns are used in a much higher percentage of crimes than in Europe
-The murder rate with guns is much higher than in Europe

Just for starters. Also, the Nice incident was horrible. But just think, how many more people could that nutter have hurt if he'd had his hands on an assault rifle or even a couple of handguns?

I saw this on Facebook today, either he needs his concealed carry revoked with a court hearing and class reassignment, assuming he has one, or Florida needs to fix their CC laws.

In Ohio, you cannot open fire unless your life is literally in danger. One case where you can't fire is when you pull up in your driveway and you see someone running off with your television while still on your property but is outside your house. You can't open fire when someone is on your property not doing harm. You can't open fire if let's say someone is attempting to kick your door in; the person has to have already broken in and committed home invasion. I haven't taken the class, but this was from a friend of mine that has and obtained his license, so corrections from Ohioans are welcome. Using your firearm is literally a last resort here. The least you can do is call the police with your firearm loaded in case you absolutely need to use it.

I think, really I do, that if you think owning a gun is some sort of "right" you have (given by God or the constitution or anyone/anything), then you're delusional.

Like, right to self defense is probably the closest normal real thing you can claim, but there are numbers and facts that prove that owning a gun =/= being safe, and actually you're less safe with a gun.

I guess really you think you have a right to hypothetically shoot anyone you find threatening is really what's going on. Which is a delusion.

The idea that gun ownership is some philosophical, innate right is uniquely American, and is really just nonsensical. Not at all based in reality.

I saw this on Facebook today, either he needs his concealed carry revoked with a court hearing and class reassignment, assuming he has one, or Florida needs to fix their CC laws.

In Ohio, you cannot open fire unless your life is literally in danger. One case where you can't fire is when you pull up in your driveway and you see someone running off with your television while still on your property but is outside your house. You can't open fire when someone is on your property not doing harm. You can't open fire if let's say someone is attempting to kick your door in; the person has to have already broken in and committed home invasion. I haven't taken the class, but this was from a friend of mine that has and obtained his license, so corrections from Ohioans are welcome. Using your firearm is literally a last resort here. The least you can do is call the police with your firearm loaded in case you absolutely need to use it.

This is how it is in my State as well. He became the aggressor when he confronted the Teens with gun in hand. Even if they almost hit him at that point with their car it's because he introduced the lethal weapon into the incident, not the two playing Pokemon.

This sounds like the argument that if you ban guns, people will still kill each other with knives. It misses the point, which is that making it easy to acquire guns makes it easier for terrorists to kill people. Every case of domestic terrorism I can think of involved a legally acquired (and often high-capacity) firearm. You think the kid who killed all those elementary schoolers in Sandy Hook would've killed nearly as many people if he had entered the school with a knife?

At what point do you draw the line? If we see another commercial truck used in a terrorist attack in France should France consider banning commercial trucks?

There does need to be better gun regulation, but again taking everyone's right because of a few that abuse it isn't the way to handle it.

WedgeX

Banned

FunFact: The cities with the highest gun control, have the highest violent gun crimes/murders here. Bad Guy will always find a way, especially when he knows Good Guy follows the laws he does not.

Citation?

The (large) cities with the highest homicide rates in 2014(per 100 000) are :

St. Louis, Missouri 49.91
Detroit, Michigan 43.52
New Orleans, Louisiana 38.75
Baltimore, Maryland 33.84
Newark, New Jersey 33.32
Buffalo, New York 23.22
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 22.43
Memphis, Tennessee 21.38
Atlanta, Georgia 20.47
Cincinati, Ohio 20.16

Highest for medium cities:

Jackson, Mississippi 35.39
Birmingham, Alabama 24.52
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 23.11
North Charleston, South Carolina 21.78
Little Rock, Arkanasas 21.69
San Bernardino, California 20.04
Richmond, Virginia 18.92
Dayton, Ohio 18.85
Inglewood, California 17.86
Montgomery, Alabama 17.48

Highest for small cities:

East St Louis, Illinois 101.8
Chester, Pennsylvania 88.09
Muskegon Heights, Michigan 73.9
Helena-West Helena, Arkansas 61.34
College Park, Georgia 60.89
Lumberto, North Carolina 50.28
Gary, Indiana 47.43
Riviera Beach, Florida 38.87
Eunice, Louisiana 38.73
Trenton, New Jersey 37.95

The states which have the strictest guns laws (receiving an A or B score) are:

California (two cities listed above)
Connecticut
New Jersey (two cities listed)
Maryland (one city listed)
Massachusettes
New York (one city listed)
Hawaii
Illinois (one city listed)
Rhode Island
Delaware
Washington

Accounting for 7/30 cities listed above.

PreFire

So a car parks outside of your property at 1:30 AM and you go outside with your gun instead of calling the police? You approach the vehicle, tell the young ass kids not to move, and when they pull off (because the last thing you'd expect is some asshole to come outside of his home to point a gun at you while you're playing a fucking Nintendo game) you shoot at them because they didn't stay in your line of fire.

Sounds like a trigger happy prick who got lucky none of the young boys were struck by his bullets.

Even if they DID fucking steal something, once they pull away, what gives you the right to shoot them? Unless they're blocking your driveway, unless you have a private parking strip in front of your home, there's no law that doesn't allow someone to park in front of a home no matter what the time is. The curb is not private property. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to walk through the sidewalk.

I don't understand.. If you're in your home, safe and sound, hear noises outside, and since you're armed, you think it's logical to go outside and investigate because it's 1:30AM and I guess thieves are stupid enough to make a racket while they're getting ready to break into a home. He sure knows how to get his gun and shoot at kids.

The kids did the right thing by pulling off. Fucking gun nut would've killed them otherwise. I hope he gets his gun license stripped and does some time at least. That shit is reckless and shouldn't be allowed. Actively chasing a target to protect yourself isn't protecting yourself. You're the hunter in that case

I really don't think it is that complex, I'm sorry.
I mention people being safer, yes, because in America - even accounting for population size:
-There are more gun-related accidents than in developed Europe
-You are more likely to be hurt or killed by a family member in an accident than by a stranger
-There are more 'mass shootings' (ie shootings of a group of people) than Europe
-There are many more school shootings than in Europe
-Guns are used in a much higher percentage of crimes than in Europe
-The murder rate with guns is much higher than in Europe

Just for starters. Also, the Nice incident was horrible. But just think, how many more people could that nutter have hurt if he'd had his hands on an assault rifle or even a couple of handguns?

First, thanks for being civil and discussing the issue and not insulting me simply because we have different views.

I think the death toll in Nice was higher than the majority of mass shootings wasn't it?

Citation?

The (large) cities with the highest homicide rates in 2014(per 100 000) are :

St. Louis, Missouri 49.91
Detroit, Michigan 43.52
New Orleans, Louisiana 38.75
Baltimore, Maryland 33.84
Newark, New Jersey 33.32
Buffalo, New York 23.22
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 22.43
Memphis, Tennessee 21.38
Atlanta, Georgia 20.47
Cincinati, Ohio 20.16

Highest for medium cities:

Jackson, Mississippi 35.39
Birmingham, Alabama 24.52
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 23.11
North Charleston, South Carolina 21.78
Little Rock, Arkanasas 21.69
San Bernardino, California 20.04
Richmond, Virginia 18.92
Dayton, Ohio 18.85
Inglewood, California 17.86
Montgomery, Alabama 17.48

Highest for small cities:

East St Louis, Illinois 101.8
Chester, Pennsylvania 88.09
Muskegon Heights, Michigan 73.9
Helena-West Helena, Arkansas 61.34
College Park, Georgia 60.89
Lumberto, North Carolina 50.28
Gary, Indiana 47.43
Riviera Beach, Florida 38.87
Eunice, Louisiana 38.73
Trenton, New Jersey 37.95

The states which have the strictest guns laws (receiving an A or B score) are:

California (one city listed above)
Connecticut
New Jersey (two cities listed)
Maryland (one city listed)
Massachusettes
New York (one city listed)
Hawaii
Illinois (one city listed)
Rhode Island
Delaware
Washington

Accounting for 6/30 cities listed above.

2 cities for Cali.

And damn I knew San Bernardino was Bad but I didn't think it would be worse than Inglewood...

First, thanks for being civil and discussing the issue and not insulting me simply because we have different views.

I think the death toll in Nice was higher than the majority of mass shootings wasn't it?

Yes, the death toll was significantly higher than most mass shootings in the US.

But that is a single extremely rare event, in the US mass shootings are so common that over the course of a year significantly more people die overall.

MUnited83

For you.

Not really though, like, at all. "Cities with highest gun control" means shit when they're neighbors with states with super lax gun laws that are literally a short drive away. It's a empty argument, as is the "Bad Guy will always find a way". He won't. It's another empty argument. Do some proper gun control nation-wide, and the gun price will rise like crazy. Unless you think Bad Guy has unlimited money and resources, it will definitely stop a good number of them by that fact alone. Also a reminder: many Bad Guys weren't Bad Guys until the day that they were.

Neiteio

At what point do you draw the line? If we see another commercial truck used in a terrorist attack in France should France consider banning commercial trucks?

There does need to be better gun regulation, but again taking everyone's right because of a few that abuse it isn't the way to handle it.
Trucks have a function in society beyond "kill as many people as possible." Assault rifles and high-capacity ammo clips don't.

Dunlop

I can't believe there is even a debate on this. Fuck taking his license, he should be charged with attempted murder.

Draxyle

Neo Member
Yes, the death toll was significantly higher than most mass shootings in the US.

But that is a single extremely rare event, in the US mass shootings are so common that over the course of a year significantly more people die overall.

Yep, statistically more people died yesterday from gun violence in the States than all who died in the Nice attack.

Trucks have a function in society beyond "kill as many people as possible." Assault rifles and high-capacity ammo clips don't.

Not going to disagree with high-capacity clips.

Regarding assault rifles...what constitutes an assault rifle because a lot of rifles that fall under the designation of assault rifle do have functions.

That said, I've already agreed on numerous occasions that gun reform is needed. I'm just not for a gun ban.

redcrayon

I'm very grateful I live in a country where the right to own a gun to protect yourself and your family is enshrined in the founding document. If I had two punks sitting in front of my house at 1:30 a.m. I'd be very happy to have a firearm nearby. (Of course running out and firing shots is a different story.)
Why are they 'punks'? Just because they are teenagers?

You could easily reword that and say that innocent teenagers might be glad to have the right to be armed in case some 'punk' homeowner decides to come out and try to hold them hostage on public property. No need to criminalise people based on age when it's pretty obvious who was the dangerous party in this encounter, that's the language of unwarranted fear.

Funnily enough, those of us living in countries where random people aren't armed to the teeth are less terrified that strangers might be carrying guns, and so feel safe enough without them- an argument in the street is far more likely to end up with wounded pride or a black eye than bodies on the floor. We aren't all desperately wishing we could be freely heavily armed like in the U.S., because that would make the country far more violent. I'd rather nobody was armed with guns than both me and a potential criminal were, as my conscience and lack of familiarity with violence would put me at a severe disadvantage rather than both of us on an equal footing, and it would make me far more suspicious of everyone else when they could instantly pull a trigger and kill me for whatever batshit insane reason like 'standing their ground' as I took a step towards them.

I have no problem with talking to teens or strangers in my neighbourhood, as the chance of any of them carrying a gun is so small as to be microscopic. Fear and handing out guns like sweets just leads to people glad they are carrying guns to defend themselves from the other people who are glad they are carrying guns to either defend themselves or threaten others. A heavily armed society where people are terrified of the teenagers that are part of it but glad they have guns to shoot at them with is a fearful one, not a wonderful thing.

Dunlop

I'm very grateful I live in a country where the right to own a gun to protect yourself and your family is enshrined in the founding document. If I had two punks sitting in front of my house at 1:30 a.m. I'd be very happy to have a firearm nearby. (Of course running out and firing shots is a different story.)

The real story here is how incredibly self-absorbed and ignorant people can be when playing Pokemon Go... walking off cliffs, strolling into traffic, tromping through cemeteries, stalking people's homes in the wee hours... it's nuts.

Canadian here so maybe it is a different story in the US, but isn't the road and a certain part of the land public property?

If so wasn't the car on a public street, hence my previous call for attempted murder charges valid?

Canadian here so maybe it is a different story in the US, but isn't the road and a certain part of the land public property?

If so wasn't the car on a public street, hence my previous call for attempted murder charges valid?

I think that whether it was public property or not is largely irrelevent, at least in my state that's how it is. The "Florida Man" was the one that confronted them, brought the lethal force into the equation, and started making demands of 2 teenagers (1 a legal adult) who were not committing any crime. Even if they were on private property he would not have the right to use lethal force unless his life was being endangered. The "Florida Man" was clearly wrong and should be prosecured (may still be).

Syriel

It was in Dallas.

It was when the Texas mom shot her two kids.

It was when the old guy in the theater shot the man who disagreed w/him.

It was when the Florida mom got shot in her truck by her kid.

It was when it was the friend-of-the-friend-of-the-GAFfer who started a thread today about a shooting.

It is very often someone who got their guns legally.

I believe that's because the vast majority of gun owners who are harmed are either not law abiding citizens, not responsible gun owners, and/or not properly trained.

#notruescotsman

1) Yes, public property.
2) Yes, valid.

FL law does not allow him to go out and be the aggressor either, but the story being pushed by him is that he went outside and confronted the car, and claims that he felt threatened and they were gonna run him over, so he pulled out his gun and shot.

Sounds like BS, but it's such a stupid rule to get around by saying one thing or another.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Every single person in the US is law abiding until suddenly they are not. Even those who have broken laws previously.

Precisely, so ban humans?

As an example, the same for drunk driving, yet we seen how well that prohibition went long before drunk driving was even an epidemic. This one, sadly, would be far uglier.

Every day, 30 people or more die from drunk driving fatalities in the US. Some statistics point to 3 people every 2 hours or so, 1 in 3 highway related accidents resulting in deaths are drunk driving. But do not outlaw that because there are those who do not participate in such actions and enjoy the elixir, just as those who do not participate in shooting people, ironically.

I am seeing a common theme here if you take away one item and insert another, and it all lands on humans themselves ultimately.

Personally I am more nervous on the roads at night due to that, than I am walking down the street fearing firearms.

Wiped89

Precisely, so ban humans?

As an example, the same for drunk driving, yet we seen how well that prohibition went long before drunk driving was even an epidemic. This one, sadly, would be far uglier.

Every day, 30 people or more die from drunk driving fatalities in the US. Some statistics point to 3 people every 2 hours or so, 1 in 3 highway related accidents resulting in deaths are drunk driving. But do not outlaw that

Uhhh... drink driving IS illegal!! What a terrible argument.

It has been proven owning a gun actually puts you and your family at increased risk of harm. Proven. Your failed analogies do not change facts.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It has been proven owning a gun actually puts you and your family at increased risk of harm. Proven. Your failed analogies do not change facts.

Drunk driving is illegal. Drinking is not.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Uhhh, shooting people as the aggressor partaking in manslaughter or murder is illegal.

It is proven drinking alcohol or having it also puts you and your family in increased risk of harm.

We can argue in circles (and come to the same conclusions with both statistically), yet this little exercise can prove useful to expose bias of selective enjoyments and cognitive dissonant like responses/arguments based on what as society we deem acceptable 'collateral damage' of having things one enjoys be accessible or not.

If the basis is to preserve life as a whole, we as humans sure do a great job being selective at what we view as the 'demon' or not based on said pleasures. Really is fascinating.

Makes you wonder, honestly, what the straw that breaks the camels back is gonna be re: guns. I reckon another big school shooting will begin to tip the scales. Pfft, who am I kidding.

Seriously though, this is exactly what I perceive the average American gun owner to behave like.

Dunlop

Makes you wonder, honestly, what the straw that breaks the camels back is gonna be re: guns.

Sandy Hook was a "perfect storm" what is wrong with gun laws in the US and the horrible consequences that was a direct cause of it.

Not a single change happened, I don't think we will see any meaningful change in our lifetimes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sandy Hook was a "perfect storm" what is wrong with gun laws in the US and the horrible consequences that was a direct cause of it.

Not a single change happened, I don't think we will see any meaningful change in our lifetimes.

Laws changed on the state level from that. Magazine size was one of the results. So 'something' did happen.

The state also already has strict background check/waiting period, and registration policies.

FL law does not allow him to go out and be the aggressor either, but the story being pushed by him is that he went outside and confronted the car, and claims that he felt threatened and they were gonna run him over, so he pulled out his gun and shot.

Sounds like BS, but it's such a stupid rule to get around by saying one thing or another.

Was his gun already out when he told them not to move? If so, that makes him the one that made the situation turn potentially lethal.

Neiteio

Makes you wonder, honestly, what the straw that breaks the camels back is gonna be re: guns. I reckon another big school shooting will begin to tip the scales. Pfft, who am I kidding.

Seriously though, this is exactly what I perceive the average American gun owner to behave like.
The straw that breaks the camel's back will probably be a high school shooting...

Wait... ok, maybe a college shooting...

Wait... ok, maybe a half-dozen college shootings...

Wait... ok, maybe people getting shot in a movie theater...

Wait... ok, maybe kids getting shot at an elementary school...

Wait... ok, maybe people shot during a church bible study...

Wait... ok, maybe people shot at an autograph signing...

Wait... ok, maybe people shot at a dance club...

Wait... ok, maybe people shot at... (voice trails off)

Top Bottom