• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I'm very grateful I live in a country where the right to own a gun to protect yourself and your family is enshrined in the founding document. If I had two punks sitting in front of my house at 1:30 a.m. I'd be very happy to have a firearm nearby. (Of course running out and firing shots is a different story.)

The real story here is how incredibly self-absorbed and ignorant people can be when playing Pokemon Go... walking off cliffs, strolling into traffic, tromping through cemeteries, stalking people's homes in the wee hours... it's nuts.

sitting in their cars on public roads, etc.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Why are there even "3 dudes" on the news every night in yet another shooting? It actually does speak volumes about our country when we consistently have even that many a day when compared to multiple other first world countries which may have a single shooting a month.

because there is a gun violence problem in the usa

still doesn't mean anything close to "americans are all obsessed with guns"!!!

I would feel safer around a responsible gun owner that knows how to use the weapon, who has used it at the range then the unlicensed person who is pulling out and firing for the first time in their life at that very moment. Licensed gun owners get a bad rep by people afraid of guns. I don't live in an open carry state, I live in a "that shit better be locked up until someone breaks into your house" state.

Does this country need guns? Well the police and military do, but that's about it. Problem is the bad guys have guns, and you can't expect people to just wait for the police to show up. They should absolutely call police, but you shouldn't just sit there defenseless either. Not everyone has the luxury of living in gun free areas.
With everything that's going on, I don't trust the police with guns any more than my neighbor. They are supposed to be trained but they act just as paranoid and trigger happy as the gun owner in this story.

Remember that 6% of the US population (black males) made up 40% of ALL unarmed people of all races, shot by the police in 2015. Proven to be 2.5 times more likely to be shot by police than any other race in the US.

Every gun owner cop is a responsible gun owner cop until proven otherwise.

There are countries in the Europe and Asia where officers walk around with clubs instead of guns, correct?

Take mine when you take theirs too. Let the military and SWAT be that deadly enforcer.

there's 320 some odd million people in the USA and you're going to assume the three dudes you see on the news every night are representative.

brilliant.

Mass shootings in the US are a daily occurrence. Europe doesn't have that problem with more than double the population.
US has a problem with fetishizing guns, I don't think that's up for debate.

Syriel

I can bet this happened somewhere else before Florida. Too many open carry states with castle doctrine laws and psychos allowed to abuse these rules. Florida's problem is that their laws make it easier for news of their craziness to get out faster than any other state.

Castle doctrine does not cover public right-of-way.

It doesn't apply here.

He though they were buglars >.>...
But yes, people should not be shot when there're just n the street (public area)!.
It made me remeber the bad thing that happened months ago when a cop shooted people sleeping in their car from the off topic of Gaf, ugh.

It doesn't matter what his paranoid ass thought. You don't have a right to pull a gun on people parked on the street, or to shoot at them when they drive off, if they haven't actually done anything to you.

DMTripper

It's fascinating to me that in a country where, (in theory) people should feel super safe all the time cause they have guns to protect themselves, the exact opposite can happen and some people freak out because cars park in front of their house just after midnight. If somebody would break into my house with a gun I would be absolutely helpless yet I don't even look twice if a car parks in front of my house in the night. Hell, if I saw somebody trespassing my first instinct would be to ask if s/he needs help and if everything is alright.

This is so true. My first instinct would be to help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34996604

An interesting article on US gun crime. The numbers are horrendous.

OryoN

"I'm gonna leave the safety of my home, to go confront a situation which I believe to be nefarious. I probably should just call the authorities, but why should I?...I has a gun..."

This exactly why da #&@$ you need much stricter gun-control laws in this place. Some a-holes think it is their duty go seeking out trouble(let's face it, that exactly what it was) because they are armed. Had he shot and killed anyone, we would have had another George Zimmerman case(minus a few obvious differences?) on our hands, with douchebag lawyers making a case for why this jackass with a gun did absolutely nothing wrong.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Mass shootings in the US are a daily occurrence. Europe doesn't have that problem with more than double the population.
US has a problem with fetishizing guns, I don't think that's up for debate.

This is straight up bullshit, lol. Anymore than ISIS attacks in Europe are a 'daily occurrence'.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
People need to chill the fuck out with this game. Use common sense, youngins. Parking outside of someone's house and being a loud d-bag at 1:30am in the morning, and you're asking for trouble. That being said, the dude bringing out his gun was a little overboard too. Could've called the police instead, but he does have a right to protect his property (in the US).

Enjoy Pokemon Go, and enjoy your life, but don't fuck with other peoples' lives in the process. Common sense is all.

WedgeX

Banned

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Read my link above. There was 372 mass shootings in the USA in 2015. To me that's MORE than one a day.

They are fudging the term "mass shootings" just like the media bullshits with "assault rifle".

They are playing a semantics game. Gang related activities are coupled in there, where the FBI does not group in said category.

It is not the same as the traditional, "mass shooter" narrative that is normally reported on.

Glad that nobody was killed. Well, I guess it's time to ban Pokémon Go, because it's obviously the only reasonable way to prevent these kinds of things from happening

MUnited83

For you.
I'm very grateful I live in a country where the right to own a gun to protect yourself and your family is enshrined in the founding document. If I had two punks sitting in front of my house at 1:30 a.m. I'd be very happy to have a firearm nearby. (Of course running out and firing shots is a different story.)

The real story here is how incredibly self-absorbed and ignorant people can be when playing Pokemon Go... walking off cliffs, strolling into traffic, tromping through cemeteries, stalking people's homes in the wee hours... it's nuts.
You wouldnt need a gun in the first place if your country didnt have awful gun laws. And even then, even in the US, the fear of home invasion is mostly unfounded paranoia.

DMTripper

They are fudging the term "mass shootings" just like the media bullshits with "assault rifle".

They are playing a semantics game. Gang related activities are coupled in there, where the FBI does not group in said category.

It is not the same as the traditional, "mass shooter" narrative that is normally reported on.

Whether you think it's semantics or not, just read the article and actually digest how many people are killed or seriously injured by guns in the USA. I'm not a America hater, I'm really not. But man how the hell you can defend this shit is beyond fucked up.

Nice edit BTW ;-)

Glad that nobody was killed. Well, I guess it's time to ban Pokémon Go, because it's obviously the only reasonable way to prevent these kinds of things from happening
I'm not talking about the kids in this story and I enjoy Pokémon Go but people are idiots, plain and simple.

I was at Sea World yesterday and there were signs everywhere asking people not to jump gates and into animal enclosures while playing. Then there's the guys who fell off a cliff (yes both of them) in the same city last week.

Natural selection.

As a native Floridian, please don't equate the actions of Florida Man with the rest of us.

I think foreigners don't differentiate between Florida and the rest of USA. This is another story of an american gun lover gone wild and shooting at people and probably not even get sued because it was his "right".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whether you think it's semantics or not, just read the article and actually digest how many people are killed or seriously injured by guns in the USA. I'm not a America hater, I'm really not. But man how the hell you can defend this shit is beyond fucked up.

I am not defending anything, however, words can be twisted, just as, 'one a day'. Averages do not work if you want to report facts to a statement made... are there indeed 'one a day', no. One weekend in Chicago netted 60 shootings 2 weeks ago. I am not dismissing there is a problem, and refuting the semantics of 'one a day'.

Nice edit BTW ;-)

Well, one has to seem to 'clarify' more in this thread, since there is some batshit way out in left field words being thrown into people's mouths out of a short sentences in this thread. Mainly based off of biases and certain perceptions.

*looks below*

Oh, silly me! No gun problem then.

My case in point, lol.

(Since I never denied a problem)

Wiped89

Oh, silly me! No gun problem then.

DMTripper

I am not defending anything, however, words can be twisted, just as, 'one a day'. Averages do not work if you want to report facts to a statement made... are there indeed 'one a day', no. One weekend in Chicago netted 60 shootings 2 weeks ago. I am not dismissing there is a problem, and refuting the semantics of 'one a day'.

Fair enough, I don't know how mass shootings are categorised and I suppose when you say mass shootings it implies more than 4. But the article states it's how it is used and 4 is the number. But still having a shooting that involves 4 or more people once a day is pretty messed up.

Edit.. No worries about your edit :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fair enough, I don't know how mass shootings are categorised and I suppose when you say mass shootings it implies more than 4. But the article states it's how it is used and 4 is the number. But still having a shooting that involves 4 or more people once a day is pretty messed up.

No arguments there.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Conversely, I am very grateful to live in a country where some random dude can't decide if it's OK for me to be in the street at any given hour or if I should get a bullet because he was afraid I was plotting to kill him.

Also, isn't the right to bear arms included in an Amendment to the Constitution, not the Constitution itself? As I said, I'm not American, so I'm probably wrong here.

WedgeX

Banned

You're speaking of Public Mass Shootings whereas the rest of us are talking about plain and simple Mass Shootings.

The number of people who get shot in groups of four doesn't change with either definition. Only those shootings that count matter in one. Which is...semantics. To lower the number.

ResoRai

People need to chill the fuck out with this game. Use common sense, youngins. Parking outside of someone's house and being a loud d-bag at 1:30am in the morning, and you're asking for trouble. That being said, the dude bringing out his gun was a little overboard too. Could've called the police instead, but he does have a right to protect his property (in the US).

Enjoy Pokemon Go, and enjoy your life, but don't fuck with other peoples' lives in the process. Common sense is all.
I agree.
And yup that's all it is. It's scary how little some people have of it.

L Thammy

Well, as long as it's just gang violence, I guess the USA doesn't really have a problem with people shooting each other.

Acerac

Banned
Totally believable. Over a week ago I had some old dude taking pictures of me as I tried to catch a Weedle, this shit was inevitable.

Wiped89

ITT: Americans trying to defend gun problems by disputing what 'mass shooting' means, rather than address the issue of 372 incidents in which multiple people were shot in America in one year. And these are just the multi-person incidents, let alone gun accidents, crimes committed using guns, and single persons being shot.

Am_I_Evil

Not taking a side in the gun argument....but i think we can all agree that you shouldn't be just blindly shooting at cars...

also...datapoint...there was another shooting today in which 3 police officers are dead...nothing to do with pokemon but since guns are being talked about....

Not taking a side in the gun argument....but i think we can all agree that you shouldn't be just blindly shooting at cars...

also...datapoint...there was another shooting today in which 3 police officers are dead...nothing to do with pokemon but since guns are being talked about....
Sounds neutral.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, as long as it's just gang violence, I guess the USA doesn't really have a problem with people shooting each other.

Yep, because I clearly said that.

But your 'average American' does not worry about being shot in a 'mass shooting' like a declarative statement of 'they happen once a day' would suggest with that angle of fear instilling.

No rational person is okay with senseless violence of any form, especially unjustified gun violence.

BokehKing

Banned

There are countries in the Europe and Asia where officers walk around with clubs instead of guns, correct?

Take mine when you take theirs too. Let the military and SWAT be that deadly enforcer.
You'll never have unarmed officers here. Sometimes you just need a gun in certain criminal situations.

Wiped89

But your 'average American' does not worry about being shot in a 'mass shooting' like a declarative statement of 'they happen once a day' would suggest with that angle of fear instilling.

No rational person is okay with violence of any forms, especially unjustified gun violence.

So you think there can be justified gun violence?

There is no situation in which it can be. And don't say 'if someone else has a gun/comes at you with a gun' or whatever because that's the whole problem of the self-propagating vicious cycle of gun ownership. (If guns weren't allowed, you wouldn't need a gun to defend yourself from one).

As someone who has had their house nearly broken into twice this year and had a neighbor's house broken into and the person attacked, I can understand being nervous about a strange car parked in front of your house and fully support the idea of protecting yourself.

That said, shooting at a car that's driving away goes way too far, unless that person had been attacked first, and even then if they're fleeing you probably shouldn't be shooting..

Edited for clarity.

L Thammy

No rational person is okay with senseless violence of any form, especially unjustified gun violence.

Okay, so then let's look at something more relevant to the average American, like school shootings. But that link's admittedly pretty old, so here's another one.

Snakey125

If they were sitting on a public road, This guy is gonna get a felony. If they were on a road in private property, That is a completely different story then and it would be the kids fault.
The guy went too far regardless and should of called the police along with asking what they were doing.

canedaddy

Also, isn't the right to bear arms included in an Amendment to the Constitution, not the Constitution itself? As I said, I'm not American, so I'm probably wrong here.
Yes, the first 10 amendments, approved in the years immediately after the Constitution was ratified, are called the Bill of Rights. They were enshrined to limit the power of government over the citizenry and ensure individual liberty. They are the chief reason the United States became the greatest nation on earth and a beacon of freedom for people around the world.

Of course with freedom you open the door for people to take advantage and do terrible things. But I'll take it over enslavement to government any day.

bman94

The question should also be asked "Why the fuck were you playing Pokemon Go at 1:30 in the morning?!"

Everybody is giving this poster shit but it's a valid fucking question. At 16 my parents didn't want me going outside, wondering the streets in the daytime, let alone go out night when it's 10 times more dangerous. Why the hell would they be parked in someone's residence at that time of the night? That's stupid and dangerous on their part cause that just shows signs of planned robbery to the common person. While the asshole was fucking trigger happy he had a legitimate reason to be concerned.

I can't believe all the people blaming the teenagers in this situation. Apparently, using public roads is a dumb idea now. Sure, there are law enforcement personnel that have the job to investigate suspicious circumstances, but some teenagers using their phones on public roads and being teenagers apparently share some of the blame in this situation.

The cult of the gun is so disgusting in the US. Sure makes victim blaming easy.

Top Bottom