• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

I'd be curious if there's any way to do hard research on how many legal gun owners are just enthusiastic about guns VS how many are paranoid chickenshits who are terrified of brown people, teens, loud music, etc

There are so many gun owners with that "spoiling for a fight" attitude. That is a classic marker of anxiety and fear. Dogs bark threateningly when they feel threatened. What are you so scared of, dude?

Sitting in their car in a public place. I better shoot them.

Hell, where I live (nice suburbs in Northern Atlanta), someone has already called the cops on loitering Pokemon Go-ers twice in the past week. The game has sort of become this strange catalyst for testing the limits of public access and expectation.

ajjow

I work with homicides. Im a public lawyer in Brazil.

This kinda of thing is much more common than people can imagine. This especific case calls our attention for the fact the victim was playing a game, but is so common to people do crazy actions out of nowhere for futile motives.

One time, one guy stabed the other 10 times just because the victim told him he had the looks of a Bandit.

However, in Brazil if you kill someone, you'llbe free normally in 10 years. Unless you have two or more muders in your back. The its 30 years at maximum.

And I wont even comment on people killing for drugs debits.... 2 dollars and bam, kill the
Guns shouldn't be sold so easily to people.

Demoskinos

The question should also be asked "Why the fuck were you playing Pokemon Go at 1:30 in the morning?!"

Gaming at the wee hours of the morning isn't exactly a strange thing. Neither is being out and about.

Plenty of nights when I was out with friends we wouldn't get back until 3:30am.

The only strange thing is some guy escalating to gun violence at the drop of a fucking hat.

L Thammy

I remember when I was in high school and used to hang out at my friends' place until midnight. It's too bad that there were no gun toting heroes to protect all those resident areas I walked through on my way home.

DayEnder

It looks like in Florida you can get a learner's permit at 15 with a parental consent form.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/firstlicense.html

Very likely by 17-19 they could legally drive at 1:30am without restriction.

Playing Pokemon Go at night, on a weekend in the summer, sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing for teenagers to do. There are far worse things.

Edit: I live in Ontario, Canada and the drivers legislation is very similar.

kennyamr

Well, what can I say...
I don't blame the guy really, the kids were on the street so he shouldn't have shot but at the same time I understand if a guy who has no idea this kind of games exist is trying to protect the property from a very shady car parked right outside at those hours.

Like I said in another thread before, this game can be a potential target for future lawsuits against the Pokemon Company, Niantic, and others involved.

I get that people get excited and everything but I think that going to a random residential area at 1.30am and stop there in front of a house for several minutes without leaving the car will make people around nervous. I would really think it's only a matter of time before I am being approached by someone from the neighborhood, it's the normal thing to happen.

It's natural for people to protect their families so I really don't blame the guy at all. It was bad judgement to shoot but I understand he was scared, in the other hand I blame the two guys in the car for what happened. The kids, even though they were not breaking any law, did something that obviously was going to raise eyebrows around the neighborhood.

If I see a car parked outside my house with the lights on, at 1.30am, and staying there for several minutes, I will go out and ask them what do they want, but I will also try to protect myself in case they are some kind of criminals. I think that reaction would be very normal for anyone in that situation.

flkraven

Well, what can I say...
I don't blame the guy really, the kids were on the street so he shouldn't have shot but at the same time I understand if a guy who has no idea this kind of games exist is trying to protect the property from a very shady car parked right outside at those hours.

Like I said in another thread before, this game can be a potential target for future lawsuits against the Pokemon Company, Niantic, and others involved.

I get that people get excited and everything but I think that going to a random residential area at 1.30am and stop there in front of a house for several minutes without leaving the car will make people around nervous. I would really think it's only a matter of time before I am being approached by someone from the neighborhood, it's the normal thing to happen.

It's natural for people to protect their families so I really don't blame the guy at all. It was bad judgement to shoot but I understand he was scared, in the other hand I blame the two guys in the care for what happened. The kids, even though they were not breaking any law, did something that obviously was going to raise eyebrows around the neighborhood.

If I see a car parked outside my house with the lights on and stay there for several minutes, I will go out and ask them what do they want, but I will also try to protect myself in case they are some kind of criminals. I think that reaction would be very normal for anyone in that situation.

It's natural to be concerned. Maybe call the cops even. But he opened fucking fire.

Asriel

I should have figured this thread was going to be filled by people saying "LOL AMERICA AMIRTE?!" like people stopping in front of your house at 1:30am is completely normal. He took it a step too far because they were still on the road, of course, so he should be prosecuted, but the kids aren't entirely blameless either.

I don't get going out at night like that. You know how shady it looks for a car to drive up to an area, stop, and then keep going? Hell it makes me uncomfortable hitting the couple of Pokestops on the way home during the daytime.

There is a far cry from investigating what may be deemed to be suspicious behavior and emptying rounds into a car.

Tenrius

Both sides are stupid this time.

Pokémon GO isn't controlled by time, right? Watch it happen in the G/S expansion

What exactly did they do wrong? Being out in a public street is pretty normal at any time of the day and 1:30 AM isn't even that late.

Kusagari

Well, what can I say...

It's natural for people to protect their families so I really don't blame the guy at all. It was bad judgement to shoot but I understand he was scared, in the other hand I blame the two guys in the car for what happened. The kids, even though they were not breaking any law, did something that obviously was going to raise eyebrows around the neighborhood.

If I see a car parked outside my house with the lights on and stay there for several minutes, I will go out and ask them what do they want, but I will also try to protect myself in case they are some kind of criminals. I think that reaction would be very normal for anyone in that situation.

It's natural to be worried and concerned. It is not natural to open fire and try to kill people, as far as you're aware, doing nothing wrong. And if it is, then that might be all the proof needed to ban guns.

If I see a car parked outside my house with the lights on, at 1.30am, and staying there for several minutes, I will go out and ask them what do they want, but I will also try to protect myself in case they are some kind of criminals. I think that reaction would be very normal for anyone in that situation.

you know there are guys who get paid to do that kind of thing for you right?

Granted the cops might have shot at them if they were black kids, but still, those are better odds than just going straight up Falling Down on them

Roshin

If I look outside my window right now I can see people there. Walking past my building, talking to each other, walking their dogs, and using their phones. The whole street is full of parked cars too and there are people in some of those cars.

If I had a gun, I would defend myself so hard right now, because obviously I'm under fucking siege here.

Edit: I wouldn't do that, of course, because (A) I'm a normal human being and (B) I live in a free country.

MarionCB

As someone who has a license to carry, I feel like you should keep your shitty comment to yourself. Think before you speak.

Er, seeing the need to ban or restrict guns is the sensible product of thought and knowledge and something most of the world gets. Being so aggressive and insulting doesn't exactly help your case either.

MisterHero

About 11pm the other night I fired the app up and noticed Pikachu was in my neighborhood. I wouldn't and shouldn't fear for my life to go out looking for it.
There will be other opportunities. It doesn't take a gun to get the police called on you. The neighbors' dog might wake your neighbors up, who knows.

ajjow

I should have figured this thread was going to be filled by people saying "LOL AMERICA AMIRTE?!" like people stopping in front of your house at 1:30am is completely normal. He took it a step too far because they were still on the road, of course, so he should be prosecuted, but the kids aren't entirely blameless either.

I don't get going out at night like that. You know how shady it looks for a car to drive up to an area, stop, and then keep going? Hell it makes me uncomfortable hitting the couple of Pokestops on the way home during the daytime.

The simple fact that you trying to justify the criminal behavior in some form shows how deliberately strange your habits have become. Its like trying to justify slavery. 'Hey, i give food to mu slaves'.

Its such a shame because a mother lost her child. And the agressor now will try to creat thia crazy story about how bad the victim was in school and how anyone ese could have done the same....

And people with your mindset, if part of the jury, may acquiet the stupid man.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well, what can I say...

We should have law enforcement that we can call to investigate shady activity.

Meanwhile protecting your family can be done within the house without approaching a strange car in the wee hours.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
There's probably a fairly sizable segment of the population for whom parking in front of a strangers house at 1:30AM, playing a mobile game, and loudly conversing about it would qualify as more than "slightly weird."
Not enough to excuse this sort of street justice BS, all things considered.

So parking a car, using your phone and talking to a friend at 1:30 is considered more than "slightly weird"? Okay...

L Thammy

As someone who has a license to carry, I feel like you should keep your shitty comment to yourself. Think before you speak.

Considering that this is a thread about someone who attempted to kill two teenagers for playing a video game in public, I think it's impressive that you were thinking before you spoke and came up with this. I guess the shooting bit wasn't even worth commenting on.

Well, what can I say...

Lol. This has got to be a joke post. How are you protecting yourself by leaving the safety of your home to approach an unknown party?

ajjow

Well, what can I say...

Cant you call the police?! Its so common to people rob others people houses in USA?! Last time i read a United Nations report, america wasn't that bad with crimes.

Well, what can I say...

He tried to shoot at people that were running away from him. There's no justification for that whatsoever.

Well, what can I say...

You think ATTEMPTED MURDER is a normal reaction for anyone in that situation? Are you fucking insane?

Kuroyume

Banned
Why do some people ITT feel as if this lunatic needs do be defended?

Are you referring to the lunatics trespassing and stalking outside people's homes at 1:30 in the morning to collect fucking Pokemon?

I'm so sick and tired hearing about this fucking game. It's only a matter of time before we hear about someone getting killed or kidnapped because of this stupid game. Hope Nintendo is ready to deal with the PR nightmare from that.

Are you referring to the lunatics trespassing and stalking outside people's homes at 1:30 in the morning to collect fucking Pokemon?

I'm so sick and tired hearing about this fucking game. It's only a matter of time before we hear about someone getting killed or kidnapped because of this stupid game. Hope Nintendo is ready to deal with the PR nightmare from that.

This just in, using a public road and sitting in your car is now trespassing and stalking.

flkraven

Parking your car on a public road and looking at your phone isn't fucking trespassing.

I guess if I walk my dog at 1 am on the sidewalk in front of a house I should be shot at too then?

MrGerbils

A step too far?

He almost murdered two kids because they made the mistake of stopping in the road for too long. That is a fucking mile too far.

Even if they were actually burglars, it still wouldn't give him the right to stand in the street and be judge jury and executioner.

Being parked on a public road isn't "tresspassing". If this guy was so convinced that they were going to do something bad, then maybe he should've called the cops instead of walking out there with the intent of shooting someone.

So parking a car, using your phone and talking to a friend at 1:30 is considered more than "slightly weird"? Okay...

If I were to do this in some of the subdivisions up where I live, unless I were having some kind of emergency or car problem, someone would be calling the cops on me.
I understand that these roads may be public, but residents aren't trying to hear that. All they know is someone who isn't from here is hanging out in the wee hours of the morning.

It's a cliched movie trademark of illicit activities, and I'm not shocked that people act out (or in this case, Florida Crazy™) when they see it.

Durante

There will be other opportunities. It doesn't take a gun to get the police called on you. The neighbors' dog might wake your neighbors up, who knows.
So?

I feel like I'm in a (really scary) parallel universe with some posts in this thread. Maybe I'm missing a large joke here, but it seems like some people are actively arguing for curfews.

Top Bottom