• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

Kusagari

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood.

You have to understand how bad that looks.

You have zero right to ask them to leave. The public street isn't your property, no matter how much you might think otherwise.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The issue is far more complicated than this. Banning is the start. It works and we have the evidence to prove it does.

My only question about this is wouldn't an outright gun ban give rise to a black market and and another avenue for organized crime? There are a lot of people who believe the "war on drugs" is harmful for this reason. How would guns be different?

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood.

The rest of the world is not America, we are not your culture or your way of life. America is a gun culture, plain and simple. You don't just undo that.

You don't get to commit attempted assault or murder because you don't understand how street laws work.

Ashhong

As evidenced by all the gun violence in countries such as the UK, where there is a gun ban?

Oh wait...

Serious question, did they have a lot of guns before banning them? how do we get rid of the guns that are already in the wild, especially by criminals and gangs?

WedgeX

Banned
My only question about this is wouldn't an outright gun ban give rise to a black market and and another avenue for organized crime? There are a lot of people who believe the "war on drugs" is harmful for this reason. How would guns be different?

There is no chemical dependence to guns.

Lets just ignore the rest of the world i guess.

As evidenced by all the gun violence in countries such as the UK, where there is a gun ban?

Oh wait...

Ok brehs I'm sure we grew up in totally different situations so we not gonna see eye to eye when it comes to guns and protection

So I'll just let y'all cook

OT: Guy shooting at teens was wrong and should face the consequences but seeing how this is Florida I don't think anything is gonna happen hopefully I'm wrong.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Because who does it really hurt when people state an obviously caricatured view of what, in the end, is the most powerful country on Earth and their citizens. Some frail egos? Who cares.

When you make that comment amount Muslims, or similar comments about minorities in general, it should be really fucking obvious what very bad element of society that serves to reinforce.

Also let's not forget that this is very much a problem America, and America alone, faces in terms of the developed world. Where as your "equivalent" comment about Muslims made basically no sense.

Its still promoting an ignorant and dismissive viewpoint that serves little more than to foster some flawed sense of moral superiority. Most Americans don't own guns, its as simple as that so the blanket indictment by its very nature is ignorant.

BokehKing

Banned
...it's the kids street, too.

We should not be so stricken by fear. There is something tremendously wrong here.

Listen man, you wake up to a bunch of cars getting robbed in the neighborhood hood, choppers flying over head and police cars in the neighborhood because drug addicts are breaking into homes. If you're cool with strangers hanging out in front of your house, that's on you.shooting at them was wrong obviously. If it was a kid from my block I would be having a talk with their parents the next morning.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm afraid asking a country that is run on and lives by fear to give up their guns is...well, the biggest pipe dream of all time. =(

Man, I wish...

TirMcGrey

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood. If I find out it's for video games, I'm definitely calling the cops.

That's not how street laws work...

Listen man, you wake up to a bunch of cars getting robbed in the neighborhood hood, choppers flying over head and police cars in the neighborhood because drug addicts are breaking into homes. If you're cool with strangers hanging out in front of your house, that's on you.shooting at them was wrong obviously. If it was a kid from my block I would be having a talk with their parents the next morning.

Talking with their parents is a much more reasonable response than assaulting them with a bat or trying to kill them with a gun, even if you legally have no grounds to make them leave the street in front of your house.

BokehKing

Banned
You have zero right to ask them to leave. The public street isn't your property, no matter how much you might think otherwise.

You really going to talk about your rights at 1:30 in the morning when you're hanging out in front of my house? Your not, and if you want to be defiant, I'll call the cops on you, it's that simple.

I was young at one time too, trust me, cops can roll up and tell you to leave because the owner of the house you're parked in front of don't want you there.

WedgeX

Banned

I live in a major city. And lived in suburbs for years. People being outside on public property is a good thing. Crime spikes when people are more afraid and go out less. Please read The Life and Death of American Cities and come back. A life lived in fear is just...sad.

Tenrius

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood. If I find out it's for video games, I'm definitely calling the cops.

...and getting arrested for assault when they arrive.

DedValve

Banned

The rest of the world is not America, we are not your culture or your way of life. America is a gun culture, plain and simple. You don't just undo that.

If you verify that kids are playing video games and still decide to call the cops YOU should be fined for wasting the cops lives and possibly endangering the community by removing that cop from wherever he/she needed to be.

And they'd be perfectly within their right to ignore you. Also I think some states have intimidation laws don't they?

Kuroyume

Banned
Will be interesting to see where this investigation goes. The police will determine who is right on this matter. Those siding with the home owner. Or those siding with kids chasing Pokemon at 1:30 am in the morning.

Apathy

Just fucking wow. The street is public property, anyone can park there at 1:30. You have no right to tell anyone to move if they aren't on your property. I didn't realize people have such a hard time understanding basic shit. Your ability to tell someone what to do ends at the end of your lawn.

You really going to talk about your rights at 1:30 in the morning when you're hanging out in front of my house? Your not, and if you want to be defiant, I'll call the cops on you, it's that simple.

I was young at one time too, trust me, cops can roll up and tell you to leave because the owner of the house you're parked in front of don't want you there.

Then call the cops. You aren't the law. You do not get to decide who can and can't be in a public place like a fucking street no matter what time of the day or night it is. If they are bothering you, you call the police, and the police will decide what to do. You do not get to take the law into your own hands.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
There is no chemical dependence to guns.
Lack of physical addiction isn't going to stop certain people from wanting guns, or creating an environment where procuring them illegally becomes lucrative. There were plenty of people that wanted booze in the prohibition era and they weren't all alcoholics.

Durante

...it's the kids street, too.

We should not be so stricken by fear. There is something tremendously wrong here.
There is. Tremendously.

On the news I see some people in Turkey applauding their own Reichstagsbrand, and on GAF I see people defending an idiot thinking he's part of some kind of sidewalk special forces. Not a good day overall.

Well like others,im not exactly surprised...I know people like this are in the minority though.Lets hope they don't go blaming the game,but sadly I expect they might

BokehKing

Banned
...and getting arrested for assault when they arrive.
The bat is if you get defiant and get out of the car
And they'd be perfectly within their right to ignore you. Also I think some states have intimidation laws don't they?
And some neighborhoods have high crime with young kids after 12
If you verify that kids are playing video games and still decide to call the cops YOU should be fined for wasting the cops lives and possibly endangering the community by removing that cop from wherever he/she needed to be.
You do realize I pointed out over and over again that there has been on going burglaries and car break ins right. What are you doing on a block at 1:30 in the morning? Well I guess we are going to find out. What happens when the cop tells you to leave, you going to sit there and say no, you have your rights? No you're going to leave.

cheezcake

Its still promoting an ignorant and dismissive viewpoint that serves little more than to foster some flawed sense of moral superiority. Most Americans don't own guns, its as simple as that so the blanket indictment by its very nature is ignorant.

People simplify complex issues to drive home poignant facts and/or for comedic effect. It happens literally everywhere, all the time, throughout the history of the human race. The vast majority of people probably realise that yes this is an oversimplification of the subject we're dealing with but are still able to understand the underlying point people are making, a small minority of people inevitably have some stake in the point being made and their ego's are too frail to look past any inaccuracies the oversimplification causes. The world will not stop turning for the latter.

Wow the paranoia. Honestly if you call the cops for that reason you should get fined for wasting their time.

200_s.gif

fester

Banned

Land of free (unless you're on a street playing Pokemon) home of the brave (shooting at anything that scares me).

The bat is if you get defiant and get out of the car

And some neighborhoods have high crime with young kids after 12

You do realize I pointed out over and over again that there has been on going burglaries and car break ins right. What are you doing on a block at 1:30 in the morning? Well I guess we are going to find out. What happens when the cop tells you to leave, you going to sit there and say no, you have your rights? No you're going to leave.

If you called the cops at 1:30 in the morning and told them that some kids were parked out in the street playing a video game and you wanted them to come get rid of them, they would probably tell you to go fuck yourself.

BokehKing

Banned
Wow the paranoia. Honestly if you call the cops for that reason you should get fined for wasting their time.

Must I link to the community watch groups of the neighboring towns and the town I live in about break it's so we stop with the "wow paranoia" crap
Should I link to the people getting robbed while playing Pokemon in the neighborhood or?

Yeah it's really fucking important to know what someone's rights are before you try to kill them!

BokehKing

Banned
If you called the cops at 1:30 in the morning and told them that some kids were parked out in the street playing a video game and you wanted them to come get rid of them, they would probably tell you to go fuck yourself.

Friend, where do you live that you're so out of touch with crime in the suburbs?
Of course the cops would come, it's what they do, they come and tell you to move along, it's common sense. "Suspicious vehicle in front of the house"
It's really a no brainier.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What I learned from this thread:

-Don't use your phone in front of other people's houses
-Don't park in front of houses

And maybe most importantly:

-Don't go outside at night, no matter where and why.

Anticol

Banned
Ok, this thread scares me even more about America as a whole, not for the guy shooting at a car who was park in front oh his house at 1 am, no, is because the people blaming the teenagers for parking in front of a house.

Really, are really people defending the shooting just because they parked in front of his house? If parking is enough excuse to get shot at in the US, well...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
People simplify complex issues to drive home poignant facts and/or for comedic effect. It happens literally everywhere, all the time, throughout the history of the human race. The vast majority of people probably realise that yes this is an oversimplification of the subject we're dealing with but are still able to understand the underlying point people are making, a small minority of people inevitably have some stake in the point being made and their ego's are too frail to look past any inaccuracies the oversimplification causes. The world will not stop turning for the latter.

Funny, because you want to instead shape the narrative over another minority, the gun owners, for simplification, lulz and healthy patronizing. At least clean the spiderwebs off the ceiling fans while you're up on the soapboxes. I'm a simplified southern US man too busy cleaning the gun I don't own and imagining shooting the blacks and gays I'm supposed to hate.

fester

Banned
Must I link to the community watch groups of the neighboring towns and the town I live in about break it's so we stop with the "wow paranoia" crap
Should I link to the people getting robbed while playing Pokemon in the neighborhood or?

You don't get to play vigilante and you sure as hell don't own the public roads. Go back in your house, close your blinds, and find a more civilized way to deal with your fear and aggression.

Friend, where do you live that you're so out of touch with crime in the suburbs?
Of course the cops would come, it's what they do, they come and tell you to move along, it's common sense. "Suspicious vehicle in front of the house"
It's really a no brainier.

Calling the police and saying there is a suspicious vehicle in front of your house is one thing. Calling the cops and telling them kids are playing a video game in their car is another. One of them will get the cops to come and tell the kids to leave, the other I'm not so convinced, no matter the crime rate. If you decide to call the police if this ever happens to you, I advise you to maybe say the first thing and not the second.

Tons of Americans hate guns, but NRA lobbyists have so much power on Capitol Hill.

You can be on a terrorist watch list and banned from boarding planes, but you can still buy assault rifles that could shoot down an airplane.

Thanks, NRA!

One of the greatest barriers to more sensible gun laws is the kind of ignorance to the subject that is displayed in this post.

Fredrik

Homeowner is going to end up rightfully charged. You can't go outside onto a public street and shoot at a car for being parked outside. Hell, you can't even shoot at them for standing on a sidewalk outside of your house playing pokemon go, as public sidewalks are a "public" place.
On the sidewalk? Where I live you aren't even allowed to shoot at them if they park the car inside your garage and stand inside your house playing the game. You're allowed to tell them to go outside though.

Darryl

Banned
It's the people not remembering they were once teenagers and suddenly needing the youngins to be put in their place.

nah, these are the people who never got to spend nights and weekends out as a kid and now want everyone else subjected to that misery, too. "if I couldn't have fun you can't either"

If you worded it that way, if its 1:30 in the AM, you don't know what the hell they're doing. It wouldn't be unheard of to call the police and have someone swing by to at least check.

Top Bottom