• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

MCN

Banned
Are you referring to the lunatics trespassing and stalking outside people's homes at 1:30 in the morning to collect fucking Pokemon?

I'm so sick and tired hearing about this fucking game. It's only a matter of time before we hear about someone getting killed or kidnapped because of this stupid game. Hope Nintendo is ready to deal with the PR nightmare from that.

SITTING IN A CAR ON A PUBLIC ROAD ISN'T TRESPESSING OR STALKING YOU FUCKING LUNATIC!

Or maybe it is, because who can resist having a pop at Nintendo?

Homeowner is going to end up rightfully charged. You can't go outside onto a public street and shoot at a car for being parked outside. Hell, you can't even shoot at them for standing on a sidewalk outside of your house playing pokemon go, as public sidewalks are a "public" place.

You'd think so but this is the same state that let George Zimmerman off the hook so
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Kodaman

I knew that something like this would eventually happen.

...and after all the incidents, and all the statistics, people still advocating for gun rights in usa is the worse tragedy of all.

Gaspard

So?

I feel like I'm in a (really scary) parallel universe with some posts in this thread. Maybe I'm missing a large joke here, but it seems like some people are actively arguing for curfews.

It's the people not remembering they were once teenagers and suddenly needing the youngins to be put in their place.

Apathy

Gotta love that a persons first instinct in the US if someone is outside if your home, not even on your property yet but on the city property is"let me grab my gun, I get to shoot someone today".

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why is it always Florida?!

No, don't worry, GAF is busy equating it ton the entire country.

blanket indictments against race and religion are frowned on, even banworthy. Blanket indictments on the US, particular the southern US are A OK, even when they promote the same ignorance and stupidity of the former.

blakep267

Having a gun doesn't mean you have the right to go investigate and detain people. He left the safety of his home, went into a public street to play cop and try and hold people against their will at gun point. And then fired at them. Taking into account all of that you'd think it'd be an open and shut case but I haven't heard that they arrested him

As someone who has a license to carry, I feel like you should keep your shitty comment to yourself. Think before you speak.

Someone just says "ban guns" in a topic about someone who can't control theirs on an anonymous impersonal website and you fuckin fly off the handle that easy???

Every idiot in Murica owning a gun is the real problem.

Every time some idiot says they need more guns to prevent such shit, BANG! BANG! i cant believe how such a large portion of this country is so stupid and literally crazy.

blanket indictments against race and religion are frowned on, even banworthy. Blanket indictments on the US, particular the southern US are A OK, even when they promote the same ignorance and stupidity of the former.
Sure. Let's just ignore the shootings that are happening all over the country.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ridiculous. Ban guns once and for all Americans.

I made a tweet about it awhile back and some guy said 'we'll never give up our guns, its in our nature as a violent country'

-_-

Why is it always Florida?!

No, don't worry, GAF is busy equating it ton the entire country.

As far as I understand, it's always Florida because they have state laws that require the police to release reports on criminal activity more openly than most other states in America.

Having a gun doesn't mean you have the right to go investigate and detain people. He left the safety of his home, went into a public street to play cop and try and hold people against their will at gun point. And then fired at them. Taking into account all of that you'd think it'd be an open and shut case but I haven't heard that they arrested him

I was thinking the same. People are saying the kids shouldn't be in a strange neighborhood but the article doesn't say that they weren't maybe in their own neighborhood.

The jumping to conclusion here is insane

Tenrius

It's not even about Pokemon Go. They could stop there for any other reason like consulting the map, calling someone, having some food etc etc. They would still be 100% blameless.

Some new developments:

Police say they received a call from the parents of one of the teenagers when it was noticed later that bullets had caused a flat tyre, News4jax reported.

The parent said the teenagers did not realise they were being shot at, and thought that the man was only trying to scare them.

He actually hit a tyre? Jesus Christ.

diaspora

So that justifies ignorant stereotypes? Lets take a post from this very thread:

and change it to

How is that different?
Religion and races aren't product ownership. People owning a product aren't afforded the same consideration or protections because that would be fucking stupid.

It's not even about Pokemon Go. They could step there for any other reason like consulting the map, calling someone, having some food etc etc. They would still be 100% blameless.

Some new developments:

He actually hit a tyre? Jesus Christ.

He blew a tire and also put a bunch of holes in the side or back of the car as well. The kids could have been killed and they quite literally barely escaped with their lives simply because they stopped their car to look at their phones in a public street in front of a murderous psychopath's house.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Religion and races aren't product ownership. People owning a product aren't afforded the same consideration or protections because that would be fucking stupid.

Neither is a nationality, which seems to be the point you're missing. American =/= gun owner. I don't own a gun. Your logic is flawed.

chippy13

As someone who has a license to carry, I feel like you should keep your shitty comment to yourself. Think before you speak.

I don't think you could come up with one convincing reason why someone needs to be able to carry a concealed handgun with them wherever they go. Not like you're out hunting at all times of the day with a handgun.

OT, my brother and I were talking about this exact situation happening when the app first came out and wondering how long it would take. It actually took longer for this story to break then we had guessed.

Asriel

Are you referring to the lunatics trespassing and stalking outside people's homes at 1:30 in the morning to collect fucking Pokemon?

I'm so sick and tired hearing about this fucking game. It's only a matter of time before we hear about someone getting killed or kidnapped because of this stupid game. Hope Nintendo is ready to deal with the PR nightmare from that.

Yup. Blame the game, not the people. Classic.

You know what let's let everyone keep their shitty guns but let's Minority Report everyone so the second they even have a passing thought of using their gun for murder they can be thrown in jail.

ar4757

Doesn't it say the vehicle sped right at him - clearly he thought they were robbers and was going to question them. Then he panicked.

Although that doesn't make him right as they were in the street, so he had no right to do what he did

The question should also be asked "Why the fuck were you playing Pokemon Go at 1:30 in the morning?!"

And lol at everyone getting mad at this guy, he just finds it funny people are wandering around in the middle of the night catching pokemon

I caught Rayquaza last night around 1:30... in Sapphire.

Ashhong

so two teens were out at 1:30am.. sitting in a car in front of some random person's house.. playing Pokemon Go.. right..

the part about the florida man shooting at them doesn't surprise me at all though.

I don't get this. are you saying it's unlikely that two teens would be doing that? Because it's not, like at all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

It's weird how gun owners become such hot heads because they have a weapon on them. I wonder how you are without your gun?

How is that different?

Because foreigners having half-formed surface level opinions about the US doesn't really do anything but embarrass Americans, but people having half-formed surface level opinions about Muslims gets innocent people blown up and encouraged crime against Muslims who live in non-predominantly Islamic countries?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Doesn't it say the vehicle sped right at him - clearly he thought they were robbers and was going to question them. Then he panicked.

Although that doesn't make him right as they were in the street, so he had no right to do what he did

It says that he went outside and held them at gunpoint which is fucking illegal, and then they sped the fuck out of there because they were probably scared out of their god damned minds and he fucking fired at them leaving holes in their car and blowing out a fucking tire.

There is no justification at all for what he did, ever, period, which was holding two teenagers hostage in their own car in a public place and then attempting to murder them. If he was concerned he should have locked his front door and called the fucking police.

That's what he claims they did, but according to the Sheriff's Office, they were driving away when he shot. Since he managed to strike the vehicle, it should be easy for investigators to figure out what direction the car was moving in while he was shooting.

Also don't get how people think banning guns is reallly gonna help...People will still find a way to get em if they want em
Lets just ignore the rest of the world i guess.

Then criminals will keep there guns because they clearly don't care and the licensed to carry innocents will be defenseless
America isnt the only country with criminals and other countries dont need arm every human being with a gun.

BokehKing

Banned
SITTING IN A CAR ON A PUBLIC ROAD ISN'T TRESPESSING OR STALKING YOU FUCKING LUNATIC!

Or maybe it is, because who can resist having a pop at Nintendo?

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood. If I find out it's for video games, I'm definitely calling the cops.

You have to understand how bad that looks.

Lets just ignore the rest of the world i guess.

The rest of the world is not America, we are not your culture or your way of life. America is a gun culture, plain and simple. You don't just undo that.

cheezcake

So that justifies ignorant stereotypes? Lets take a post from this very thread:

and change it to

How is that different?

Because who does it really hurt when people state an obviously caricatured view of what, in the end, is the most powerful country on Earth and their citizens. Some frail egos? Who cares.

When you make that comment amount Muslims, or similar comments about minorities in general, it should be really fucking obvious what very bad element of society that serves to reinforce.

Also let's not forget that this is very much a problem America, and America alone, faces in terms of the developed world. Where as your "equivalent" comment about Muslims made basically no sense.

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood.

Is this satire?

WedgeX

Banned
Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood.

...it's the kids street, too.

We should not be so stricken by fear. There is something tremendously wrong here.

And you have to understand that there is a difference between walking outside with a bat and asking someone to leave and holding someone at gunpoint and shooting at them when they do.

The rest of the world is not America, we are not your culture or your way of life. America is a gun culture, plain and simple. You don't just undo that.

"If it takes more than one step to complete a process you might as well not even bother at all."

Also what the fuck are you gonna do with that bat if you ask them to leave a public place which you have no right to do and they tell you to fuck off? You gonna assault them with it?

Top Bottom