• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

It's. Not. Fucking. Normal. To. Fucking. Sit. In front. Of. Someones. House. At. 1:30. AM.

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious? When i say "our team" or "my team" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking Tennessee titans or Chicago cubs.

Maybe they're feeling sick and decided to pull over?

Maybe they're going to a party and are looking up directions?

Maybe they had to take a phone call or reply to a message?

Like, if I saw someone on my street at 1:30am I wouldn't even give them a second glance...

WedgeX

Banned
Yeah and I think that's mostly what the people in here have been saying when advising not to be out at 1:30. Not that they deserve to be shot or the kids were wrong for what they did. Just like I'd also advise against the people going to a lure at 2am and getting stolen from. Guns or not, it's not always safe to be outside that late.

But maybe it should be.

It's. Not. Fucking. Normal. To. Fucking. Sit. In front. Of. Someones. House. At. 1:30. AM.

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious?

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious? When i say "our team" or "my team" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking Tennessee titans or Chicago cubs.
He means you sound psychopathic and self-absorbed for assuming people being outside on a public street near your house means they are plotting to harm you.

Like, if you are hopelessly paranoid enough to assume that for no good reason, or if there have actually been break-ins/violence in the neighborhood, you could at least watch incessantly until they do something, like breaking into someone's home

Did I ask that? No. I've already said I'm surprised and am saddened by the guy's reaction.

Care to answer the question now?

There are like a million different legitimate things that someone could be doing with their phone outside. I would need something a bit more solid than someone sitting in their car holding their phone for a few minutes to be concerned.

When I was in high school there was a girl I was interested in and often times I would go to her house, park down the street around the corner, and she would come sit in my car and we would hang out and talk until 2, 3, even 4am. Nobody ever said a single thing about it because who gives a fuck about two teen sitting and talking in a car in a public place. All the places to eat are closed, parks are closed, parents don't want guests over that late, so kids hang out in their cars.

You don't live in the United States and don't have to deal with the crime here in my neighborhood, that totally makes sense now. No wonder.....you can't relate to anything I'm saying at all.

I live in America and you live wherever you do, we are culturally different, different environments, different people, different mind states. I don't need to think about that, that's the whole thing, it happened here, the victims were not there kids from a different country that can just hang out in front t of people's houses, it doesn't work that way here, people call the cops on you. It sounds beautiful where you live though, that you don't have to worry about kids breaking into your car to steal shit for their next fix, I wish I can live in that type of society......but I don't.
If you can't walk down the street at night for fear of being shot by random people living on that street, then only a certain type will be out on the street at night... ... Not the good type.

Also, stop generalizing all Americans. You're making us look bad.

BokehKing

Banned
If you can't walk down the street at night for fear of being shot by random people living on that street, then only a certain type will be out on the street at night... ... Not the good type.

Also, stop generalizing all Americans. You're making us look bad.
I'm not generalizing all Americans, I'm just generalizing a community sick of kids breaking into cars and hanging around where they shouldn't at 1:30 am, get some property and have something to lose or get vandalized, have something you have to repair or get stolen that you can't get back, then tell me I'm generalizing.

Driving around a neighborhood playing Pokémon GO at 1 AM and not expecting anything to happen is common sense.

I hope the Pidgey was worth the gas money.

Please go park in front t of someone's house tonight at 2 in the morning and let me know how that turns out, when the cops show up and tell you to move along or ask what you're doing, please explain to him how you have every right to be there. Then he will tell you again to move along if he didn't already tell you to step out of the car.

If it's 1:30 and you're just hanging around in front of someone's house(especially in a decent area), the cops would definitely ask you to keep it moving.
Please make a thread for me on gaf when I take your advice and get tazed(shot most likely) because the cops said another black man was "resisting".

Then again this is the result of culture shock between Europe and the USA. I've sat in cars, and at steps, and at sidewalks, at those hours and later and absolutely nothing has happened or ever will.

In fact, let me provide an example where I'm actually bitten in the ass by this. In my neighbourhood (incidentally considered the very "worst" one in Madrid) it becomes common in summer for groups of people to get drunk and talk extremely loud on the street right in front of my house, up to and beyond 3-4 AM, even on weekdays, which is as you might understand less than desirable when you yourself have to get up early for work the next day. You can call the cops for them drinking on the street (which is technically illegal at any hour), and they'll at tell them to stop doing that. If they're not drinking, and you're lucky, the cops might tell them to quiet down. They absolutely cannot tell anyone to leave the street no matter the hour and no matter what part of the city, and if one of them tried, it would be seen as a ridiculously fascistic abuse of authority. This is in fact the story of how I learned to depend on earplugs.

In other words, what is common sense or not depends entirely on the country you live in. You may convince me that cops in your country and area can make people vacate the street, and if they were disturbing sleep at high hours I would be all for that, but if someone isn't doing anything of the sort, you won't convince me forcing them to leave is common sense on the grounds of it being "suspicious", nor do I want to live in a country like that.

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious?

I've had a decent amount of people stop in front of my house at 1:30 in the morning, all for reasons that weren't illegal save for maybe a bit of pot smoking. It's a lot more normal than someone parking in front of your house to rob/kill/rape you. People get lost and check maps, stop to make phone calls, check a car problem, lots of real reasons. You're not in the car, you have no clue what they stopped for. Jumping to a conclusion is usually pretty dumb when you have literally no information about the situation.

styl3s

He means you sound psychopathic and self-absorbed for assuming people being outside on a public street near your house means they are plotting to harm you.

Like, if you are hopelessly paranoid enough to assume that for no good reason, or if there have actually been break-ins/violence in the neighborhood, you could at least watch incessantly until they do something, like breaking into someone's home
I never assumed the people were plotting to harm me i said it's not a normal thing to do.

When did i suddenly lose the right to call the police if i find something out of place? If they are doing nothing wrong then what does it matter?

I've had a decent amount of people stop in front of my house at 1:30 in the morning, all for reasons that weren't illegal save for maybe a bit of pot smoking. It's a lot more normal than someone parking in front of your house to rob/kill/rape you. People get lady and check maps, stop to make phone calls, check a car problem, lots of real reasons. You're not in the car, you have no clue what they stopped for. Jumping to a conclusion is usually pretty dumb when you have literally no information about the situation.
In the 8 years i have lived on this street not a single person has every stopped the car that i am aware of.

You can do what you want but if i look out my window and see a parked car at 1:30am i am going to call the police and ask if a cruiser could stop by and make sure everything is on the up and up and i am not sorry if you can't agree with that or see that it seems out of place.

massoluk

Banned
This thread is terrifying. People are allowed to be in the street and no you aren't allowed to threaten them for it. What the fuck is going on in here?

For real, even if it really was the worst case scenario that the teenagers were really armed robber? What then? The homeowner can actually die there. Call the bloody cop at least instead of going out with your gun

WedgeX

Banned
You don't live in the United States and don't have to deal with the crime here in my neighborhood, that totally makes sense now. No wonder.....you can't relate to anything I'm saying at all.

I live in America and you live wherever you do, we are culturally different, different environments, different people, different mind states. I don't need to think about that, that's the whole thing, it happened here, the victims were not there kids from a different country that can just hang out in front t of people's houses, it doesn't work that way here, people call the cops on you. It sounds beautiful where you live though, that you don't have to worry about kids breaking into your car to steal shit for their next fix, I wish I can live in that type of society......but I don't.

Just like your neighborhood should be free of petty crime, people in the US should be free from the fear of being shot just for being out in public.

Kreed

As far as I understand, it's always Florida because they have state laws that require the police to release reports on criminal activity more openly than most other states in America.

Correct + the old Germany Austria Florida forum meme that eventually became Florida Florida Florida (athough I've seen far more crazy threads about Texas than Florida).

I'm not generalizing all Americans, I'm just generalizing a community sick of kids breaking into cars and hanging around where they shouldn't at 1:30 am, get some property and have something to lose or get vandalized, have something you have to repair or get stolen that you can't get back, then tell me I'm generalizing.
You are generalizing.

You are using your generalization to justify criminal behavior and terroristic scare tactics. If someone is breaking the law or, hell, touching your car, by all means...

But honestly, being on a public street at night is not illegal unless you have a martial law type curfew in place...

What you call "in front of someone house" is also called "public street".

Cities? Have you been in one?
Most of the space that form a public street is technically in front of someone house.

BokehKing

Banned
I've had a decent amount of people stop in front of my house at 1:30 in the morning, all for reasons that weren't illegal save for maybe a bit of pot smoking. It's a lot more normal than someone parking in front of your house to rob/kill/rape you. People get lost and check maps, stop to make phone calls, check a car problem, lots of real reasons. You're not in the car, you have no clue what they stopped for. Jumping to a conclusion is usually pretty dumb when you have literally no information about the situation.
I don't think anyone is talking about people that just stop in front of the house for two seconds to finish a text or something of that nature.

Apathy

Thinking back at my youth, and being Hispanic, if I did the things I did and lived in the US I wouldn't be alive today. I don't drive because of a medical condition, but my best friend and I used to hang out all the time really late (still do now) and he'd drive me home anywhere from 2-3 am even as teenagers. We would park outside my parents or the neighbors house and sit in his car just talking about the night we just had for like 20 minutes or more. At no point was I ever scared some lunatic with a gun would come out and fire at us. No one ever called the cops on us. I am so fucking glad I live in Canada. Might be the only reason I'm alive now.

Tenrius

It's simple, I don't want to call the cops, hell what if one of them has weed on them. I can ruin a kids life, if the kids say they are playing video games i'm going to tell them to go play their games at home. If they start acting all high and mighty and causing a problem, then yeah I'm calling the cops. Like I said, heroin addicts all over, the whole neighborhood is on look out for these things. When you get your car broken into the cops tell the neighborhood "look out for suspicious activity, call it in"

Even though some posters here actually think I would be fined for following a police officers suggestion.

Well, I think that's where the crucial distinction is. If you confirmed the kids were just playing a video game on a public street outside your house and they didn't look like drug addicts, on what grounds would you be entitled to ask them to leave? Being concerned for their safety? What particular "problem" would they cause? And what would you tell the cops in that particular situation?

I mean, I agree that you should cooperate if the cops are looking for criminals supposedly active in your area, but you should also use your own judgement. If you saw someone suspicious, there's no doubt you'd be better off calling the cops and letting them decide what to do with that information.

But if you confirmed the kids were just playing video games (or just doing whatever else, really) and didn't really loke like drug addicts (as we just established)? If you call the police in this case, there are two possibilities:

a) You tell them the truth: "There are probably harmless kids playing their 3DS/using their phone" etc. What would be the point of that? They'd either tell you to fuck off or come investigate anyway. What happens after that is up to the police, but the bottom line is that the kids have a right to be there even if the particular police officers won't agree for some reason.

b) You just say that there's someone suspicious outside (even though you know there aren't). This is just straight up wrong.

Of course, you won't know for sure in most cases, but I thought everything was pretty clear in this particular hypothetical situation.

Please make a thread for me on gaf when I take your advice and get tazed(shot most likely) because the cops said another black man was "resisting".

Well, I did say "depending on the circumstances". You could just leave, but also try filing a complaint afterwards anyway. I have absolutely no idea if that could work, but that's the reasonable course of action, even in a world gone somewhat crazy.

You don't get to decide where those kids should and shouldn't be though, no matter what time it is. If you see them actually doing something, by all means report it. If they're sitting in their car playing games on their phones, mind your own business. If they drive their car up into your yard and play video games in it, then you can get involved. If they're there for long enough that it actually makes you uncomfortable, then call the police and they will deal with it. Don't go out there with a fucking bat sticking your face where it doesn't belong trying to tell other people what to do and possibly creating an altercation out of absolutely nothing.

I don't think anyone is talking about people that just stop in front of the house for two seconds to finish a text or something of that nature.

But that's what this story is basically about. Before you bring up someone playing GO at 1:30 being dumb, how would you be able to tell the difference between someone stopping to play a game and someone stopping because they needed to make a call or text?

BokehKing

Banned
You are generalizing.
If I have to generalize to make sure neighbors don't wake up to broken windows then so be it. People have bars on their lower floor windows for a reason out here. Because they are old and the crime is bad. It's much cheaper to generalize and report to cops then to uproot my family and move to another community that is just going to have the same problem.

Heroin is a epidemic and so is the petty crime and home invasions that are associated with it. Sweeping that ugly side of America under a rug doesn't do anyone any favors. So yeah if you're hanging out playing video games during robbery hours, expect people to think you're up to no good.

Mr. X

Ahh good ol' fear mongering shows it's results.

Some nut coming off his property to shoot into the night at a car near his home but not on his property and he isn't arrested or lost his firearm yet.

He's just exercising his 2nd amendment right and what are teenagers doing out that late? Everyone knows only bad dudes are out and about that late.

There are like a million different legitimate things that someone could be doing with their phone outside. I would need something a bit more solid than someone sitting in their car holding their phone for a few minutes to be concerned.

The story also said he heard them say "did you get anything". Sounds like a robbery.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

It looks like their are taking pictures of your house. That was the situation presented. In fact, it can appear that way when you are catching pokemon. People don't like it in public and most don't like it when it looks like you're taking pictures of their house.

BTW, it looks like no one read the article.

"Pokemon" Go hunters:

- Use common sense, be alert at all times and stay aware of your surroundings. In law enforcement, we call this situational awareness.
- Watch where you are going.
- Do not drive or ride your bike, skateboard, or other device while interacting with the Pokemon Go app. You cannot do both safely at the same time.
- Do not trespass, go onto private property or into any area you usually would not if you weren’t playing Pokemon Go.
- Understand that people can use your location to lure you to “Pokéstops” so they can victimize you.
- Take a friend with you.
- If you are a minor, check with a parent before going anywhere and tell an adult or law enforcement officer immediately if anything happens.

Parents of "Pokemon Go" hunters:

- Talk to your kids about strangers and set limits on where your kids can go.
- Be aware of third-party software apps claiming to enhance the gaming experience. - Unfortunately, many of these apps allow access to sensitive personal data.

Homeowners:

- Call 911 immediately when you suspect someone is trying to break into your home.
- If at all possible, be an excellent witness for law enforcement by providing valuable information on what is occurring.
- Avoid leaving the protection of your home to confront suspects. This should be handled by trained law enforcement officers.

I would say that Cops, at least in that area, would have been okay with the man simply calling the cops instead of running out with his gun. They wouldn't have told him to go fuck himself. Sadly, the man was insane.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I never assumed the people were plotting to harm me i said it's not a normal thing to do.

When did i suddenly lose the right to call the police if i find something out of place? If they are doing nothing wrong then what does it matter?

In the 8 years i have lived on this street not a single person has every stopped the car that i am aware of.

You can do what you want but if i look out my window and see a parked car at 1:30am i am going to call the police and ask if a cruiser could stop by and make sure everything is on the up and up and i am not sorry if you can't agree with that or see that it seems out of place.
Calling the police is perfectly fine.

Firing your gun at someone fleeing is not OK

Lets just ignore the rest of the world i guess.

America isnt the only country with criminals and other countries dont need arm every human being with a gun.

Americans seem utterly uninterested on how other countries work in terms of gun control. The mantra that banning guns will still mean criminals are armed seems particularly common, even when both logic and evidence in other countries pull it apart instantly. Apparently the USA is the only country where banning guns won't affect how hard it is to get one; either their production output will continue as it was before the ban even without lawful citizens buying them, or Americans make magical guns and bullets that don't decay or can be confiscated... or they will grow on trees (perhaps the more believable explanation of the three).

Durante

Then again this is the result of culture shock between Europe and the USA. I've sat in cars, and at steps, and at sidewalks, at those hours and later and absolutely nothing has happened or ever will.

In fact, let me provide an example where I'm actually bitten in the ass by this. In my neighbourhood (incidentally considered the very "worst" one in Madrid) it becomes common in summer for groups of people to get drunk and talk extremely loud on the street right in front of my house, up to and beyond 3-4 AM, even on weekdays, which is as you might understand less than desirable when you yourself have to get up early for work the next day. You can call the cops for them drinking on the street (which is technically illegal at any hour), and they'll at tell them to stop doing that. If they're not drinking, and you're lucky, the cops might tell them to quiet down. They absolutely cannot tell anyone to leave the street no matter the hour and no matter what part of the city, and if one of them tried, it would be seen as a ridiculously fascistic abuse of authority. This is in fact the story of how I learned to depend on earplugs.

In other words, what is common sense or not depends entirely on the country you live in. You may convince me that cops in your country and area can make people vacate the street, and if they were disturbing sleep at high hours I would be all for that, but if someone isn't doing anything of the sort, you won't convince me forcing them to leave is common sense on the grounds of it being "suspicious", nor do I want to live in a country like that.
It really is one of the most "culture shock"-y threads in a while. (The situation here is like you describe. Including the occasional drunk group selecting the sidewalk in front of your house for a loud argument. Or worse, singing)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We deserve it though. We enable these psychopaths.

Now twist that statement towards religious extremist nations, and realize how stupid it sounds.

I was out playing at that time last night with about 500 other people. Probably wouldn't do that in Florida though.

Depends where, like anywhere in the world.

Private gated neighborhoods, etc., which are not Florida exclusive, in today's climate, would not be wise...

Downtown Orlando neighborhoods or the like, you are perfectly fine. Just as you would be in places in NY or LA or anywhere else.

People love to paint things with one broad brush.

You can't pull a gun on people and tell them not to move - they weren't on his property and he's not a police officer.

You can in a gated community. (Not saying I agree, but there are private communities with how your property extends to all of it under the Castle Doctrine.)

Apathy

Also seems all the gun owners and vigilantes in the thread are in the precog division minority report. "Those young punks are going to break into my house, kill me, rape my dog, I need to stop them before they do that since they are sitting outside for 5 minutes"

The story also said he heard them say "did you get anything". Sounds like a robbery.

A muttering of "did you get anything" could be potentially be referring to many different things.

And then when he told them not to move, they sped towards him in their car

That's what he claims, according to the sheriff's office, they were driving away from him. Not to mention, that he was holding them at gunpoint, which is illegal.

BokehKing

Banned
You don't get to decide where those kids should and shouldn't be though, no matter what time it is. If you see them actually doing something, by all means report it. If they're sitting in their car playing games on their phones, mind your own business. If they drive their car up into your yard and play video games in it, then you can get involved. If they're there for long enough that it actually makes you uncomfortable, then call the police and they will deal with it. Don't go out there with a fucking bat sticking your face where it doesn't belong trying to tell other people what to do and possibly creating an altercation out of absolutely nothing.
Bro, you don't live here....if I lived where you lived, I wouldn't have to think that way. You don't have to deal with the things I do, what are you not understanding? A home owner looking out his window and seeing a car out there? Shit maybe I will call the cops first next time, but I need that license plate number in case someone gets robbed that night so I can give it to the police. Because I don't live where you do, you don't have to worry about the same things I have to worry about.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
And then when he told them not to move, they sped towards him in their car

You do realise having a gun doesn't make you the law right? They had no reason to do anything he told them to and he had no right whatsoever to pull in the gun to threaten them or fire it afterwards.

BokehKing

Banned
Also seems all the gun owners and vigilantes in the thread are in the precog division minority report. "Those young punks are going to break into my house, kill me, rape my dog, I need to stop them before they do that since they are sitting outside for 5 minutes"
Cute generalization, where do you live?
Let's do a little comparison as to why we are both seeing this picture differently.

For starters when was the last time 8 cars on your block got broken into on the same night?

Spacejaws

Florida man had another statement that was dropped in that article. I found it mentioned on another website.

When asked if he shot to kill he said "sure did, they were team Mystic scum"

massoluk

Banned
He heard them asking if they had got anything, so he thought they were robbers. Then rather than try to explain it, they try to hit him with their car?

No, right now it's the teenagers' account VS the homeowner's account. The matter is under investigation. Teenagers said they heard gun shot, so they bailed the fuck out. Homeowner said they sped at him, so he shot.

Whatever it is, one thing was not doubted, the homeowner went out of his home with his gun to the kids parking in front of his house.

He heard them asking if they had got anything, so he thought they were robbers. Then rather than try to explain it, they try to hit him with their car?

What part of interrogating someone at gunpoint for being parked at a public road is illegal do you not understand? If they did drive toward him, they would actually have stronger case of self-defense than this guy did.

Top Bottom