• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

BokehKing

Banned
Ok, this thread scares me even more about America as a whole, not for the guy shooting at a car who was park in front oh his house at 1 am, no, is because the people blaming the teenagers for parking in front of a house.

Really, are really people defending the shooting just because they parked in front of his house? If parking is enough excuse to get shot at in the US, well...
I'm not defending the shooting at all, but kids need to learn some common sense.

I have kids that wait for drug dealers on the side of my house, I guess I shouldn't tell them to stop using my corner as a drug meet up too. Public road and all.

You really going to talk about your rights at 1:30 in the morning when you're hanging out in front of my house?

So your defense to "you have no right" is "but you won't tell me I have no right"? What?

Your not, and if you want to be defiant, I'll call the cops on you, it's that simple.

And the cops will tell you to go fuck yourself if the person is in a public space like in this case.

I was young at one time too, trust me, cops can roll up and tell you to leave because the owner of the house you're parked in front of don't want you there.

Like any human being, cops can do a lot of things. Doesn't mean they should, legally can, or even will, in most cases. Your anecdotal evidence (if that) ultimately amounts to nothing. The law is not what you want to make of it.

As someone who has a license to carry, I feel like you should keep your shitty comment to yourself. Think before you speak.

Or what? Are personal threats permissible on GAF now?

As someone who has a license to carry, I feel like you should keep your shitty comment to yourself. Think before you speak.

This is my favorite post in this entire thread because it reads like a threat and also sounds bat shit crazy.

"I have a gun, so you better watch what you say."

O-oh.

Cool.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not defending the shooting at all, but kids need to learn some common sense.

I have kids that wait for drug dealers on the side of my house, I guess I shouldn't tell them to stop using my corner as a drug meet up too. Public road and all.

Telling people to move along =/= shooting at them, no?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What I learned from this thread:

-Don't use your phone in front of other people's houses
-Don't park in front of houses

And maybe most importantly:

-Don't go outside at night, no matter where and why.

You should also arm yourself in case you're approached by a lunatic with a gun, while at a Pokestop.

Tenrius

The bat is if you get defiant and get out of the car

Well, in that case they'd probably be calling the cops on you.

You do realize I pointed out over and over again that there has been on going burglaries and car break ins right. What are you doing on a block at 1:30 in the morning? Well I guess we are going to find out. What happens when the cop tells you to leave, you going to sit there and say no, you have your rights? No you're going to leave.

There are several possible scenarios. First of all, it's not really certain that the cop is going to do that. If he does, that'd probably be illegal, so yes, you could say that you have your rights and if he refuses to comply, get his badge number and possibly some more details in order to prevent that kind of thing happening in the future by filing a complaint. It's pretty simple, really. And as the other person sad — higher concentrations of people on the street at night lower crime rates, not the opposite.

If you called the cops at 1:30 in the morning and told them that some kids were parked out in the street playing a video game and you wanted them to come get rid of them, they would probably tell you to go fuck yourself.

This sounds reasonable, too. BokehKing, or would you knowingly lie to the cops, saying the kids were suspicious or something, if you knew they were playing video games?

BokehKing

Banned
So your defense to "you have no right" is "but you won't tell me I have no right"? What?

And the cops will tell you to go fuck yourself if the person is in a public space like in this case.

Like any human being, cops can do a lot of things. Doesn't mean they should, legally can, or even will, in most cases. Your anecdotal evidence (if that) ultimately amounts to nothing. The law is not what you want to make of it.
Please go park in front t of someone's house tonight at 2 in the morning and let me know how that turns out, when the cops show up and tell you to move along or ask what you're doing, please explain to him how you have every right to be there. Then he will tell you again to move along if he didn't already tell you to step out of the car.

If it's 1:30 and you're just hanging around in front of someone's house(especially in a decent area), the cops would definitely ask you to keep it moving.

Well, in that case they'd probably be calling the cops on you.

There are several possible scenarios. First of all, it's not really certain that the cop is going to do that. If he does, that'd probably be illegal, so yes, you could say that you have your rights and if he refuses to comply, get his badge number and possibly some more details in order to prevent that kind of thing happening in the future by filing a complaint. It's pretty simple, really. And as the other person sad — higher concentrations of people on the street at night lower crime rates, not the opposite.

This sounds reasonable, too. BokehKing, or would you knowingly lie to the cops, saying the kids were suspicious or something, if you knew they were playing video games?

Please make a thread for me on gaf when I take your advice and get tazed(shot most likely) because the cops said another black man was "resisting".

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is terrifying. People are allowed to be in the street and no you aren't allowed to threaten them for it. What the fuck is going on in here?

"Don't go outside in America after dark because there are gun toting psychos" is common sense?

Actually, it is common knowledge. Nvm, carry on

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood. If I find out it's for video games, I'm definitely calling the cops.

You have to understand how bad that looks.

Wow. Hope I don't live anywhere near you.

If you worded it that way, if its 1:30 in the AM, you don't know what the hell they're doing. It wouldn't be unheard of to call the police and have someone swing by to at least check.

He was specifically talking about "if they were playing a video game" so yes, in that instance he does know what the hell they were doing.

I've called the police because someone was actively after me and I was afraid they were going to key my car and slash my tires during the night. You know what they told me? "Park your car on a different street then." I'm sure cops could give a fuck if some kids are parked in their car on a street playing a video game.

Now, call them and say "there's a car I don't recognize sitting in front of my house with people in it talking in low voices and they've been there for about twenty minutes and it's making me nervous" they will more than likely send a cruiser over to check it out and send the kids on their way.

Please go park in front t of someone's house tonight at 2 in the morning and let me know how that turns out, when the cops show up and tell you to move along or ask what you're doing, please explain to him how you have every right to be there. Then he will tell you again to move along if he didn't already tell you to step out of the car.

I've had to stop in front of houses on streets plenty of times, in good and bad neighborhoods, so I could use my phone to make a call or a text to someone. It's illegal to do that while driving where I live.

And so I end up pulling over late at night pretty frequently, and I've yet to have the cops called on me. It's all anecdotal at the end of the day.

cheezcake

Funny, because you want to instead shape the narrative over another minority, the gun owners, for simplification, lulz and healthy patronizing. At least clean the spiderwebs off the ceiling fans while you're up on the soapboxes. I'm a simplified southern US man too busy cleaning the gun I don't own and imagining shooting the blacks and gays I'm supposed to hate.

Reflect on the fact that we're in a thread about a man shooting at fleeing, unarmed teenagers in a public space and your first prerogative is to defend against unfair characterisations of gun owners and Americans because of a single post that was clearly a completely harmless attempt at some humour about American gun culture. This may be a stab in the dark but I'm guessing there's some OT baggage your carrying in this thread related to GAF's left leaning tendencies and some jokes about the South.

He was specifically talking about "if they were playing a video game" so yes, in that instance he does know what the hell they were doing.

I've called the police because someone was actively after me and I was afraid they were going to key my car and slash my tires during the night. You know what they told me? "Park your car on a different street then." I'm sure cops could give a fuck if some kids are parked in their car on a street playing a video game.

Now, call them and say "there's a car I don't recognize sitting in front of my house with people in it talking in low voices and they've been there for about twenty minutes and it's making me nervous" they will more than likely send a cruiser over to check it out and send the kids on their way.

Depending on circumstances, those kids could get shot though.

People need to have more to go on than "those people could potentially mean me harm," before calling police in American cities, and definitely before shooting at them

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I guess I just can't relate cause if I see a car parked in front of my house my first thoughts aren't "Oh my god, surely those are heroin addicts plotting my murder right now". And I live in arguably the "worst/scariest" part of Vienna.

I mean even if I would think there are murderers out there trying to get me, I would probably:
-Do nothing cause that's insane
-Call the police
-Turn on all the lights
-Open a window and ask what they are doing here

I probably wouldn't run out and shoot at them, just in case. But again, seems like the US is...different. (not that I'm surprised)

well what were they going to do? Sit a patrol car outside your home all night? If someone is still in an area suspiciously wandering around, they'd check it out (where I live at least) and "ask" them to move along.

styl3s

It's the people not remembering they were once teenagers and suddenly needing the youngins to be put in their place.
I never drove around and parked in front of peoples houses at 1:30am when i was young.

If i look outside at 1:30am and see 2 people sitting in a car in front of my house i am going to assume they are up to no good because people don't sit in front of peoples houses at 1:30 in the fucking morning. I wouldn't shoot them, that's stupid and i think this man deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison i would of called the cops and told them there are some shady people sitting in a car on my road at 1:30am.

Dude, if you're sitting in front of my house at 1:30 am in the morning, I'm taking down your license plate and asking you to leave with a bat in my hand. For all I know you are just another group of heroin addicts that have been breaking into cars and houses in the neighborhood. If I find out it's for video games, I'm definitely calling the cops.

You have to understand how bad that looks.

I don't have because I don't live in a country ruled by fear. As a matter of fact, I won't. I can't help but feel sad about the self-perpetuating spiral of fear and violence you live in, but it's up to you guys to decide at some point you've had enough and start looking at how the rest of the civilized world live their lives.

I never drove around and parked in front of peoples houses at 1:30am when i was young.

If i look outside at 1:30am and see 2 people sitting in a car in front of my house i am going to assume they are up to no good because people don't sit in front of peoples houses at 1:30 in the fucking morning. I wouldn't shoot them, that's stupid and i think this man deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison i would of called the cops and told them there are some shady people sitting in a car on my road at 1:30am.

Its. Not. Your. Fucking. Road.

This is my favorite post in this entire thread because it reads like a threat and also sounds bat shit crazy.

"I have a gun, so you better watch what you say."

O-oh.

Cool.

How does this read like a threat?

He's saying that wanting to ban guns because Florida man who carries does something stupid, is also stupid.

If Florida man did something crazy with a nail gun, should America ban nail guns?

True Fire

This thread is terrifying. People are allowed to be in the street and no you aren't allowed to threaten them for it. What the fuck is going on in here?

The United States is slowly turning into V for Vendetta, and people are allowing it in the name of "personal safety" and "constitutional rights"

Anticol

Banned

Don't you see that common sense is fucked up in your country, here people can walk on the streets at any time without fear of getting killed, you need to think about that. I understand Americans being defensive when someone criticize their country, but you need to see your country has a problem when you blame the victim.

Why is it ok to blame the victim at all, what did they do wrong in this case, please tell me what was wrong about the teenagers' actions?

Good god, first step to get better is to acknowledge you have a problem as a society...

BokehKing

Banned

It's simple, I don't want to call the cops, hell what if one of them has weed on them. I can ruin a kids life, if the kids say they are playing video games i'm going to tell them to go play their games at home. If they start acting all high and mighty and causing a problem, then yeah I'm calling the cops. Like I said, heroin addicts all over, the whole neighborhood is on look out for these things. When you get your car broken into the cops tell the neighborhood "look out for suspicious activity, call it in"

Even though some posters here actually think I would be fined for following a police officers suggestion.

Darryl

Banned

I have been doing it all the time since I could drive. Like have you ever went to a party? I always pull up into the neighbors yard to park. I've done it hundreds of times. People linger in front of their cars in those situations, too. Drunkenly. When I go for a walk or run downtown (which is every third night, and I run 12AM to 2AM), I park in front of someone's house. And I live here in Florida. I've never had a cop approach me because of my parking.

Jintor

like even if okay you live in some place where car outside = people trying to kill you are you still gonna shoot after them when they speed off without displaying themselves as a visible threat to you in any way

cheezcake

He's saying that wanting to ban guns because Florida man who carries does something stupid, is also stupid.

If Florida man did something crazy with a nail gun, should America ban nail guns?

No because nail guns are pretty damn useful outside of killing people.

True Fire

The United States has a really toxic gun culture that goes back to the moment the constitution was created. It's different from knives or nail guns; people legitimately think they have a God given right to kill people and ask questions later. It seems like some people WANT to be able to kill others with guns, and then use "personal safety" as their defence. A lot of Floridamen are known for going out of their way to put themselves in "danger" just to kill people. It's like state-sponsored psychopathy.

Vinland

Banned
I'm legitimately at the point where I don't want to live in the USA anymore.

Go to India where you can buy a shirt of gold and then have you and your future Son lured to a party by acquaintances where twelve grown ass men can stab and beat you dead with rocks while your son watches.

well what were they going to do? Sit a patrol car outside your home all night? If someone is still in an area suspiciously wandering around, they'd check it out (where I live at least) and "ask" them to move along.

I didn't expect them to sit there and watch my car but I asked if they could have someone cruise by while on patrol in the area. The woman literally asked me, annoyed, "Well what do you want me to do, sir?" I don't know, you're the fucking police, I told you about a threat so you tell me what can be done about it.

My point was, I had an actual real threat to me and my property and the police couldn't be assed to make any sort of effort to make me feel protected. Two kids sitting in their car playing video games isn't any kind of a real threat in any way, shape, or form, so I imagine it would fall so far down on the cops' list of things to do that they wouldn't even bother.

I am, again, operating on the assumption that the police would be told the kids were playing video games, and not lied to saying they're acting suspiciously.

styl3s

I don't have because I don't live in a country ruled by fear. As a matter of fact, I won't. I can't help but feel sad about the self-perpetuating spiral of fear and violence you live in, but it's up to you guys to decide at some point you've had enough and start looking at how the rest of the civilized world live their lives.

It's. Not. Fucking. Normal. To. Fucking. Sit. In front. Of. Someones. House. At. 1:30. AM.

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, how would people feel if they looked outside and saw a car parked in front of their house for a while and it looked like they were pointing their phones around your property? I'm curious on this given the tons of threads about GAF posters who would be upset if someone took a picture of them in a public place without permission. Yet, you saw this occuring in front your house in a public place (the road).

"Think before you speak" sounds pretty clear cut to me. You can be against a gun ban without resorting to "can't take or say anything bad about muhhhh gunnnnss or you gonna regret it".

No, because a nail gun's primary purpose isn't to kill. I don't even support full bans (I believe in stronger regulation instead), but that comparison is idiotic.

So, how would people feel if they looked outside and saw a car parked in front of their house for a while and it looked like they were pointing their phones around your property? I'm curious on this given the tons of threads about GAF posters who would be upset if someone took a picture of them in a public place without permission. Yet, you saw this occuring in front your house in a public place (the road).

I sure as fuck wouldn't go out and interrogate them at gunpoint, if that's what you're asking.

styl3s

It's. Not. Fucking. Normal. To. Fucking. Sit. In front. Of. Someones. House. At. 1:30. AM.

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious? When i say "our team" or "my team" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking Tennessee titans or Chicago cubs.

cheezcake

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious?

I think the jump from "not normal" to "oh god maybe they're here to murder me and my family" says more about the observers psyche than anything else.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

I live here, it's common for people to refer to it as "my street, my road" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking street are you serious? When i say "our team" or "my team" it doesn't mean i think i literally own the fucking Tennessee titans or Chicago cubs.

So what? You're going to shoot at everyone who isn't 'normal'? This person has an essentially infinite number of other options if they were feeling uncomfortable about the car. There is simply nothing to defend here.

styl3s

I think the jump from "not normal" to "oh god maybe they're here to murder me and my family" says more about the observers psyche than anything else.
Like i said i wouldn't run out there guns blazing or even assume they are some mass murdering psychopaths i just said it's sketchy, it's not a normal thing that people do.

I would call the police and leave it at that.

So what? You're going to shoot at everyone who isn't normal?
Where do you people keep getting that i am going to shoot them? Do you people not read anything?

I never said i was gonna run outside and fucking kill 2 people because it doesn't look normal i said i would call the police and i made it pretty clear in my first post i didn't agree with the person shooting at hem and i agree that the man needs to go to jail. Stop assuming because i think something looks sketchy i want to shoot them because i live in america. Read the post that guy replied to, i never said i wanted them dead or wanted to shoot them i was replying because he took my wording literal.

I am gonna make it 1000% clear again. I wouldn't shoot them, i wouldn't even confront them i would call the police and leave it at that.

Kagemusha

Teens don't try that in Oklahoma.

I trained a Rottweiler service dog to carry 12 cellphones in a utility vest. I don't feed her and she viciously guards her territory and can confiscate phones. She's a real trailblazer.

BokehKing

Banned

You don't live in the United States and don't have to deal with the crime here in my neighborhood, that totally makes sense now. No wonder.....you can't relate to anything I'm saying at all.
Don't you see that common sense is fucked up in your country, here people can walk on the streets at any time without fear of getting killed, you need to think about that. I understand Americans being defensive when someone criticize their country, but you need to see your country has a problem when you blame the victim.

Why is it ok to blame the victim at all, what did they do wrong in this case, please tell me what was wrong about the teenagers' actions?

Good god, first step to get better is to acknowledge you have a problem as a society...
I live in America and you live wherever you do, we are culturally different, different environments, different people, different mind states. I don't need to think about that, that's the whole thing, it happened here, the victims were not there kids from a different country that can just hang out in front t of people's houses, it doesn't work that way here, people call the cops on you. It sounds beautiful where you live though, that you don't have to worry about kids breaking into your car to steal shit for their next fix, I wish I can live in that type of society......but I don't.

cheezcake

Like i said i wouldn't run out there guns blazing or even assume they are some mass murdering psychopaths i just said it's sketchy, it's not a normal thing that people do.

And you would be doing the right thing!

Jintor

Go to India where you can buy a shirt of gold and then have you and your future Son lured to a party by acquaintances where twelve grown ass men can stab and beat you dead with rocks while your son watches.

i dunno, i could see it happening in la or vegas

Yeah and I think that's mostly what the people in here have been saying when advising not to be out at 1:30. Not that they deserve to be shot or the kids were wrong for what they did. Just like I'd also advise against the people going to a lure at 2am and getting stolen from. Guns or not, it's not always safe to be outside that late.

Maybe they're feeling sick and decided to pull over?

Maybe they're going to a party and are looking up directions?

Maybe they had to take a phone call or reply to a message?

Like, if I saw someone on my street at 1:30am I wouldn't even give them a second glance...

But of course this is also true. The home owner must have been nuts.

Top Bottom