• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Xbox’s ‘South Of Midnight’ Is Renewing My Faith In Video Games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

More in the link.

The games industry has seen a lot of strife in recent years, namely in the form of mass lay-offs, unfathomable studio shutterings and the seemingly unwillingness (at least by out-of-touch higher-ups) to seriously invest in any project that isn’t a dull, predictable sequel or a live service money-printing monstrosity.

However! There’s some light at the end of this dark digital tunnel—possibly. Lately, driven by some promising reveals and updates, I feel like the industry is starting to experience a bit of a renaissance in terms of creativity and risk. Maybe we’re witnessing a cautious return to the days of yore when the pure, joyful wackiness and unbridled riskiness of video games sat front and center, unchallenged, before the gaming public.

PlayStation’s upcoming Astro Bot is a great example, a brand new 3D platformer that feels like a direct conduit to the more carefree days at Sony when the ridiculousness of stuff like PaRappa the Rapper, Jersey Devil, Tiny Tank, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Blasto ruled the roost. Games weren’t only about profit, at least to use laymen and mortals; they were about making something inspiring, too. Something that made an artistic and emotional impact.

Compulsion Games’ (We Happy Few, Contrast) in-development Southern Gothic folklore swamp adventure South of Midnight—the initial unveiling of which I somehow completely missed at last year’s Xbox Games Showcase— appears to fall right in line with the aforementioned resurgence in exciting software that wants to, well, move people. Games are back, baby!

So far, I adore everything about the brilliantly titled South of Midnight, due for a vague 2025 launch on Xbox Series S|X (Xbox Game Pass day one!), PC and Steam. It’s a little Kena: Bridge of Spirits, a little Horizon Zero Dawn and a little Shadow of the Colossus, but rolled up into a possibly fresh Cajun package that has tons of potential. We’ll see if the team can deliver on all its lofty artistic promises, and lofty they are, as they could easily derail and become too heavy-handed, too on-the-nose or perhaps unsubtle in an off-putting way.

But going off the available footage, I’ve got to say, I’m all in. Games are making me excited again, and for that, I’m thankful. Vidja gamez, ya’ll.

To the kind people at Compulsion studio, though: Just please ship the game with a giant light-up Two-Toed Tom collectible statue, who (preferably) roars with unchecked rage when provoked. And also when not provoked.

Last edited:

Kilau

For all the wrong reasons.

Vidja gamez, ya’ll.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

mdkirby

Really? It looked ok, like a game I’d probably play, except for the animation style. If there’s no way to turn that off (like the noir suit in Spider-Man2) then it’s a no from me. It’s far too jarring to the point of unplayable.

There was much more interesting stuff at that conference.

Expedition 33
Double exposure
Atomfall
Flintlock

All seemed fresh and interesting. (Plus good stuff from existing IP)

South of midnight was one of the weakest showings of the lot imo 🤷‍♂️

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It seems like it could be a decent mid-tier game. I like the general look of it well enough, but its nothing mind blowing. Combat seemed basic. Hoping we get more platforming and grappling stuff. Kind of reminds me of a PS2 title, similar to how Kena did. It has potential, but the trailer didn't blow me away at all. I'll play it. Hopefully they also lean more into weirder locations and art design. I could see it getting a lot darker on some levels. Looks like they're just showing the very beginning of the game.

Last edited:

Elbereth

The game has an interesting aesthetic, but the framerate (by design) just doesn’t seem to work here. This reminds me of when I tried the Spiderverse suit in Miles Morales. It was a cool novelty, but wore off in about 10 seconds. Impossible for me to play that way… I applaud them for taking risks, but I hope they make the framerate style optional. If so, I’ll definitely give it a whirl.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I really dig the style and personality of this game but the gameplay itself looks like a pretty mid-tier DMC-style linear beat em up.

But of course we have seen very little. I was hoping this glowing praise was based on some gameplay impressions, and not just a review of the same trailer we all saw.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I hope the black lady isn't too sassy. I've had enough of sassy black ladies. I live down south, so the Cajun accents and Louisiana swamps aren't as exotic to me as they might be to others.

Compulsion's last game was We Happy Few, which wasn't very well-received. We'll see how they do with this one, but that makes me a little cautious.

Compulsion also has the Community Manager who hates gamers and thinks white men were a mistake. So... yeah.

Roberts

Yep, the games visual style is very interesting. They need to reduce the spider-verse jitter during game play though, that was my only bi issue with what they showed.
Honestly, I don't think they can really do much with that - you either scarp the whole idea of animating in twos and lose half of its identity or add something like motion blur and make the animation look ugly. I have worked on a lot of animation projects (not an animator, though) so my eyes are probably used to it, but I can see people having issue with that. I think it is really about getting used to it - we did that with cartoons (it's even more harsh in new TMNT than Spider-verse) so I guess we can get used to it in games. In the end, the only important thing is how it plays.

Last edited:

alienator

i restarted the trailer a few times because i thought my computer was choking the video, then i found out it was ment to be like that and not some betabuild broken framerate, i really put off by this 'effect' and mixtape did it way way better.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Lmao, people really lose their minds about this thing uh?

It looked ok at best and that stop animation shit was downright disturbing.

"disturbing"

Don't let this man near A Nightmare Before Christmas, Chicken Run, Corpse Bride, Fantastic Mr Fox, Coraline, James and the Giant Peach, or any other films of that ilk. Would hate for him to get PTSD

ungalo

Action/adventure games are just so overrated because of journos it's crazy. They probably played a part in the fact we almost only get this kind of games for productions in a certain range of budget.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
It looked like Kena 2: Into the Bayou
I haven’t played Kena but its visual style is a lot more pleasing. And it doesn’t seem like it ruins every cool moment by having the protagonist talk and explain where you should look like you’re 5-years-old.

Cutscene: “That’s the big gator over there.”

Gameplay: *same gator swims by in background* “THAT’S the gator!?”

I will never understand why protagonist just can’t shut up during gameplay.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I haven’t played Kena but its visual style is a lot more pleasing. And it doesn’t seem like it ruins every cool moment by having the protagonist talk and explain where you should look like you’re 5-years-old.

Cutscene: “That’s the big gator over there.”

Gameplay: *same gator swims by in background* “THAT’S the gator!?”

I will never understand why protagonist just can’t shut up during gameplay.
devs need to pander to ADHD zoomers who are used to looking up everything on their phone. They can't go 12 milliseconds without being told what's going on, and with just their thoughts in their head.

I found schizo Aloy in HFW to be really weird but apparently it's the new thing.

I mean sure, the game looks good & fun, but "renewing your faith in gaming"? There's nothing there from what I've seen that makes it THAT special. This is what I hate about Western games journalism & media; when it comes to Xbox, they go out of their way to exaggerate a good thing into God's next miracle blessing upon the Earth.

They puff up Microsoft and Xbox to no end, meanwhile they seem to also go out of their way to mute and downplay anything good Sony does with PlayStation or make it sound like its "no big deal". It's blatant favoritism and they're probably one of the biggest reasons actual gamers who aren't in the Cult of Phil, ridicule Xbox so much. It's to balance out the hyperbolic hype games journalists push for the brand.

I'm pretty convinced most game writers don't actually understand what made Shadow of the Colossus special.

Most of them haven't even played it.

looking at he title I was 100% it's Paul Patsy

That dude is a true Xcuck. I will always love this reminder of his Xcuckery:

kEzajn4.jpeg

Last edited:

nowhat

Gold Member
Looked like Forspoken 2.0 to me
I'd say more like Kena, but with worse animation and more chatty main character. The premise seems to be the same though, clear all the evil shit to get nature going again. Which, yeah, isn't exactly novel.

Top Bottom