• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Xbox’s ‘South Of Midnight’ Is Renewing My Faith In Video Games

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Cajun

9281890795_6861e790d8_z.jpg

Creole

images

Fredrik

Was one of the highlights for me. Loved the comic style presentation. Got me thinking about the Arcane TV show.
And traversal seems nice with the glider and grapple hook. Definitely positively surprised. I didn’t like any of it in previous videos.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
This game looks like Kena At Home for Xbox.
I didn't turn on the audio but I'm assuming everything was embarrassing cringe.

Stuart360

Have zero interst in this, especially as it reminded me of Forspoken lol.
Also have zero interest in the pretentious animation, and yes i say pretentious because who in the right mind would give a game shit animation on purpose.

Eye rolling fluff nothing article espousing empty praise.

A cajun/creole southern gothic Louisiana folklore inspired game featuring a ton of black people? No problem with that.
Sweet Baby Inc? Fuck off.

As for the protagonist's design, instantly forgettable. Looks like anyone off the street. Could've been creative, like have her wear an 1800s Antebellum gown or something, but obviously can't have feminine females to upset "feminists".

Slimboy Fat

You're telling me that whenever some aging millennial combines woke leitmotifs with a setting that is marginally removed from those seen in classical video-game genres other aging millennials soyface? Wow, I didn't know that, you're telling me now for the very first time. I didn't know that.

Also have zero interest in the pretentious animation, and yes i say pretentious because who in the right mind would give a game shit animation on purpose.
I would wager the majority of artists working on games have encountered stop-motion animation in some capacity. There's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I read the article and then watched the trailer and just could not stop laughing. Oh christ that was fucking bad.

Last edited:
Eye rolling fluff nothing article espousing empty praise.

A cajun/creole southern gothic Louisiana folklore inspired game featuring a ton of black people? No problem with that.
Sweet Baby Inc? Fuck off.

As for the protagonist's design, instantly forgettable. Looks like anyone off the street. Could've been creative, like have her wear an 1800s Antebellum gown or something, but obviously can't have feminine females to upset "feminists".
5x6Z0uc.jpeg

I mean... she's wearing pretty much what you asked for. She's certainly not going to fight in that getup, though.

Last edited:

Quantum253

If Paul Tassi praises it, it means the game is doomed.

kDYGEcP.jpeg
I watched the trailer. I thought Forspoken when I saw the gliding/movement. The animation is a little strange, but I suppose it's intentional to look like having frame spikes (for that stop-motion look). But agreed Forspoken meets the Bayou.

StereoVsn

Could be good!

Then again handing over my hard earned cash to a studio employing a racist community manager while also working with a racist consulting company is a no-go for me.
Yep, huge warning signs there. And the animation is kind of off putting with that clash between animation and frame rate.

And that’s unfortunate as the concept of being set in fantasy Louisiana with those vibes seems pretty cool.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You should stop assuming someone hasnt read the o.p. before posting accusations that they haven't simply because they disagree with your fanboy warrior ass.

1. You calling anyone else a 'fanboy warrior' *chef's kiss*
2. The article talks about Astrobot and multiple other Sony games before it even begins talking about South of Midnight.

Be gone, thot.

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Alan Wake

Nah, very underwhelming I'd say. I had high hopes for Compulsion's next project after seeing potential in We Happy Few. And seven years later they'll release South of Midnight, which looks... OK, I guess?

StereoVsn

I haven’t played Kena but its visual style is a lot more pleasing. And it doesn’t seem like it ruins every cool moment by having the protagonist talk and explain where you should look like you’re 5-years-old.

Cutscene: “That’s the big gator over there.”

Gameplay: *same gator swims by in background* “THAT’S the gator!?”

I will never understand why protagonist just can’t shut up during gameplay.
Yeah, this isn’t the only game at fault. Forespoken, Horizons, latest God of War and others.

Fair. We'll see if she actually wears that in the game, or if it's a marketing bait and switch. I mean look at how pleasant she looks in that poster, and all the game footage she's all sassy action girl.
She didn't seem to be annoyingly cocky in the trailer. Also seems to be trying to reconnect with family in the main storyline.

semiconscious

Gold Member
a family-friendly action/adventure wrapped inside a pixar feature film? fine by me. now, 'renewing my faith in video games'? yeah? because it's a fantasy game that's set in the bayou? because it features a black female protagonist? never forgetting that, gameplay-wise, it's fundamentally (again, fine by me) just one more by-the-book hack & slash? it'd seem to not require a whole lot at all to renew this guy's 'faith in gaming'...

They puff up Microsoft and Xbox to no end, meanwhile they seem to also go out of their way to mute and downplay anything good Sony does with PlayStation or make it sound like its "no big deal".

Yup.

Big puff piece and their hardcore fans do this all the time even to really bad games like HB2

There’s no wrong they can do. Their fans have low standards. I was watching Mattyplays react to the MS press conference and he praised every single GaaS game they had while throwing shade at concord despite it being much better when it comes to gameplay mechanics

These dudes have no shame in their shilling

adamsapple

He should read the article twice.

It’s my article of the year, a pure 10/10

Will wait for the PC Gamer article.

edit: Aye whaddaya know, they already like it.

South of Midnight, a gorgeous action adventure game with weighty, Souls-adjacent combat and stylised cutscenes will be dodge-rolling onto PC next year​

Last edited:

adamsapple

There’s no wrong they can do. Their fans have low standards. I was watching Mattyplays react to the MS press conference and he praised every single GaaS game they had while throwing shade at concord despite it being much better when it comes to gameplay mechanics

Ah, now we know the source of the wound. 🫢

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Based on how many great games I bought this year I never lost “faith” in video games.

this exaggerated doom and gloom you guys is baffling to me.

if you seriously can’t find games to enjoy then problem solely lies with you and frankly you need to find different hobby.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Last edited:
Looked like Forspoken 2.0 to me, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong of course.

Not that I’d buy it either way.

Kinda, in terms of a chatty main with isekai type tale. It's a shame, the setting and art is really cool and I do enjoy the scale (based on that giant gator). The things that really bothered me is the claymation style that just makes it look/feel choppy. In a video game, controls and feel is a huge part of the enjoyment. I forget if it was Miyamoto or someone else at Nintendo who said it, but in a good game, movements like running around or jumping should evoke feelings of joy.

I'd say more like Kena, but with worse animation and more chatty main character. The premise seems to be the same though, clear all the evil shit to get nature going again. Which, yeah, isn't exactly novel.

Definitely much more like Kena - especially that combat. Though the special moves in combat and while exploring strike me as Forspoken. I loved Kena, Forspoken demo was waaaay more than I would have liked to experience that game. This looks way better, but I am not particularly compelled since the visuals are really the only thing new here and while the setting is cool, the swamp doesn't really grab me the way Kena's beautiful environments did, or the horror of From's games.

Warablo

I think the stop motion cutscenes threw people off, I could see the appeal in the game, but doesn't really appeal to me.

Top Bottom