• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Xbox’s ‘South Of Midnight’ Is Renewing My Faith In Video Games

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Why’s she riding a catfish when she can just fly across the level?
Because it is holding information about her mum hostage. I like the giant catfish better than the protagonist. She seems like a lemmings descendant.
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Sacred

I don't get the DEI complaints here, it's a Southern Louisiana (Bayou) styled game. Everything showed fits that esthetic without really being woke, we'll see since SBI is involved. Also, the Forspoken similarities make absolutely zero sense, not even the same type of game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't get the DEI complaints here, it's a Southern Louisiana (Bayou) styled game. Everything showed fits that esthetic without really being woke, we'll see since SBI is involved. Also, the Forspoken similarities make absolutely zero sense, not even the same type of game.
Well, we got the sassy "I don't need no manitude" trope, which would have more than likely be southern bell hospitality for anyone who spent any iota of time in the rural deep dirty south. That, and the community manager's typical current year racist comments.

Shame too, because the blues charm is right up my alley.

Last edited:

Fbh

For better or worse South Of Midnight looked like an ideal gamepass game.
Something almost no one would actually buy, but that gamepass subscribers might end up playing because it doesn't cost them extra.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
This game had the opposite effect on me. It's everything I hate about modern gaming and quite frankly makes me wonder if after 40 years it's time to find a new hobby. Absolute dog shit game that you couldn't pay me to even install.

I don't get the DEI complaints here, it's a Southern Louisiana (Bayou) styled game. Everything showed fits that aesthetic without really being woke, we'll see since SBI is involved. Also, the Forspoken similarities make absolutely zero sense, not even the same type of game.
Exactly. I'm not too far from there and I see a lot of people that look like the protagonist.

Bungie

Definitely a gamepass game haha, it's not scratching any kind of itch for me. Just looks good enough to play if I am in the mood for something single player & trying it out because it's something new.

diffusionx

Gold Member
At least aloy somehow has a lore reason to speak to herself, she was casted away by his tribe and was basically alone for all her infancy except for one dude being the hard father figure (but hardly a chatty one).

She probably talked to herself a lot for like 17 years.

Still annoying in practice for the player but she is no schizo, just a lonely chick.
well she wasn't really like that HZD. HFW is just a bizarre game in so many ways but schizo Aloy is one of them.

demonstr8

“It’s a little Kena: Bridge of Spirits, a little Horizon Zero Dawnand a little Shadow of the Colossus, but rolled up into a possibly fresh Cajun package that has tons of potential”

Huh? Did we see the same footage?
Came here to post the same thing.

LastBattle

For better or worse South Of Midnight looked like an ideal gamepass game.
Something almost no one would actually buy, but that gamepass subscribers might end up playing because it doesn't cost them extra.
Yeah, I’ll give it a go on Gamepass. Certainly not something I’d part with my hard earned dollars for given what we’ve seen. That’s the beauty of Gamepass.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Welp, SBI is the kiss of death. The trailer was fine and I was interested, but finding out that SBI was involved means this project is doomed to be filled with constant reminders of where SBI stands in the "culture wars."

It'd be like if at the end of the really solid Gears of War trailer we saw "Developed by 343 Studios." Just best to pretend the game doesn't exist at that point.

Quantum253

It was the gliding and movement with a light trail that made me think of Forspoken. Not sure about others though.

MayauMiao

I watched the trailer. I thought Forspoken when I saw the gliding/movement. The animation is a little strange, but I suppose it's intentional to look like having frame spikes (for that stop-motion look). But agreed Forspoken meets the Bayou.
Not much to say how it will play. Maybe it will be a good game or just bland but at least the main character isn't as annoying as the Forspoken one.

The framerate for cutscenes bothers me a lot.

Quantum253

Not much to say how it will play. Maybe it will be a good game or just bland but at least the main character isn't as annoying as the Forspoken one.

The framerate for cutscenes bothers me a lot.
Same here. Won't know how the main character will be until a bigger in-depth review to see the interactions within the world and with others. Unless someone knows the writers and can see past dialogue

Methos#1975

If actually a bayou style game she would be white and speak Arcadian French. Creoles don't venture far out of New Orleans and definitely wouldn't be in the bayou.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I definitely think the whole Cajun and Creole vibe that's going on is pretty neat. You don't see that too often. The almost stop motion-like animation looks neat too. Not sure how I feel about the gameplay just yet, it didn't really ooo or ahh me, but hopefully that changes!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well, we got the sassy "I don't need no manitude" trope, which would have more than likely be southern bell hospitality for anyone who spent any iota of time in the rural deep dirty south. That, and the community manager's typical current year racist comments.

Shame too, because the blues charm is right up my alley.

The developers have said music is a key for them for the game, should be really good in that regard.

Community managers are disposable and thankfully don't have much to do with developing the actual game. I also agree with S Sacred in the sense that nothing in either trailer for the game so far has shown the prototypical 'strong wahmen weak manz' kind of thing. The voice acting on the talking fish was actually pretty good.

Methos#1975

Cajuns live in the bayou, not Creoles and Cajuns are entirely white. Cajuns were the and still are the poor marginalized minority that lived in the bayou. Creoles are of mixed European and African and Caribbean ancestry and are affluent and wealthy historically and heavily Metropolitan in culture. They wouldn't be caught dead in a swamp. This game is an attempt by people with little understanding of Cajun and creole cultures and the nuances and differences between them throwing a blanket over both.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
“It’s a little Kena: Bridge of Spirits, a little Horizon Zero Dawnand a little Shadow of the Colossus, but rolled up into a possibly fresh Cajun package that has tons of potential”
Huh? Did we see the same footage?
I mean Kena's influence was rather blatant to the point it's basically direct copy-paste of elements as opposed to just 'taking inspiration' (and not even sure why - I thought Kena was universally not praised for its mechanics 🤷‍♀️)
But I also don't know where the other two are supposed to be in the mix...

nikolino840

I hope the black lady isn't too sassy. I've had enough of sassy black ladies. I live down south, so the Cajun accents and Louisiana swamps aren't as exotic to me as they might be to others.

Compulsion's last game was We Happy Few, which wasn't very well-received. We'll see how they do with this one, but that makes me a little cautious.

Compulsion also has the Community Manager who hates gamers and thinks white men were a mistake. So... yeah.
Well contrast was a good 3d person tho

nikolino840

I hope the black lady isn't too sassy. I've had enough of sassy black ladies. I live down south, so the Cajun accents and Louisiana swamps aren't as exotic to me as they might be to others.

Compulsion's last game was We Happy Few, which wasn't very well-received. We'll see how they do with this one, but that makes me a little cautious.

Compulsion also has the Community Manager who hates gamers and thinks white men were a mistake. So... yeah.
Well but I didn't know about this until this game https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Toed_Tom

If actually a bayou style game she would be white and speak Arcadian French. Creoles don't venture far out of New Orleans and definitely wouldn't be in the bayou.

Yeah, this is false. Some of the higher class creole certainly wouldn’t be in the bayou but creoles of color, which the MC of this game clearly is, would have been in the bayou, particularly during the early to late 1800’s as more and more white Americans moved into LA and brought their racism with them. And obviously today you can find them all over the bayou.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The developers have said music is a key for them for the game, should be really good in that regard.

Community managers are disposable and thankfully don't have much to do with developing the actual game. I also agree with S Sacred in the sense that nothing in either trailer for the game so far has shown the prototypical 'strong wahmen weak manz' kind of thing. The voice acting on the talking fish was actually pretty good.
They reflect the culture of the studio. Otherwise, they would not feel oh so comfortable speaking the way that they do.

nikolino840

Is this the company tainted by that person who only wanted to work with people like herself, or am I getting my wires crossed?

Edit: I guess so

Last edited:

samoilaaa

yeah who needs games like baldur's gate 3 that has good writing , depth , fun exploration , possible game of the decade , fuck that give me more games like south of midnight

Methos#1975

Yeah, this is false. Some of the higher class creole certainly wouldn’t be in the bayou but creoles of color, which the MC of this game clearly is, would have been in the bayou, particularly during the early to late 1800’s as more and more white Americans moved into LA and brought their racism with them. And obviously today you can find them all over the bayou.
Yeah, I'm from South Louisiana. Simply not true. I've never seen a actual creole in the bayou. I have seen many of other racees that have lived there generations that have become cajunized culturally and language wise.

Duchess

Well, the gameplay looks good. I'm not sold on the stop-motion cutscene style. When I first saw the video, I thought the stream was hitching.

Top Bottom