• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Xbox’s ‘South Of Midnight’ Is Renewing My Faith In Video Games

Calverz

It looks like the type of game that was coming out every week in the ps2 era. Shadowman and American McGee Alice type of shit. Not necessarily a bad thing but idk how you were blown away by that showing unless you work for Sweet Baby Inc.
💯 exactly what I thought watching. I remember loads of games like this during ps2, gamecube and Xbox era.

Ok I rewatched the trailer after reading this. In conference it looked rough.

Still don’t see it. There is potential, sure. There were pathways that weren’t explored. Game could be exploration focused. Which could be amazing.

But it wasn’t shown in the trailer.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Looked like Forspoken 2.0 to me, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong of course.

Not that I’d buy it either way.
I ain't buyin' it eitha. That is what gamepass is for. Looks good enough to play for an hour or 2 before work.

Yeah, I'm from South Louisiana. Simply not true. I've never seen a actual creole in the bayou. I have seen many of other racees that have lived there generations that have become cajunized culturally and language wise.

Sounds like you shouid visit the bayou more. I’ve seen creoles of color there.

Majukun

nothing i saw in the gameplay made me excited about the game...and can't say I am a fan of the cutscene with less frames (for some reason)

You should at the very least read the article, or the paragraphs I've copied in the OP, before posting.

Western games journalists are so bad now I nope out when I read their clickbaity titles, more often than not. Unless it's from a writer I know is quality.

Exactly. For those that just read the title, they're saying Astrobot and South of Midnight give them home when most games are gaas or uninspired sequels.

Well fine that's good, but why didn't the article headline mention Astro Bot in there as well? Not really my fault for assuming it was a fluff piece going by the title, the website, and the timing right after the Xbox Showcase 🤷‍♂️

Is it really a flex to use childish console warrior language like “Xcuckery” and then post a picture where a journalist has blocked you on twitter because you play console warrior there, too? Jesus 😆 I will never understand the mentality.

I barely ever responded to or retweeted Tassi's stuff on Twitter. He got anal about everyone calling him out for a clickbait article headline he had written. I said it was bad journalism. He blocked me.

So yeah, this one is a badge of honor.

Last edited:
So yeah, this one is a badge of honor.

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Cajuns live in the bayou, not Creoles and Cajuns are entirely white. Cajuns were the and still are the poor marginalized minority that lived in the bayou. Creoles are of mixed European and African and Caribbean ancestry and are affluent and wealthy historically and heavily Metropolitan in culture. They wouldn't be caught dead in a swamp. This game is an attempt by people with little understanding of Cajun and creole cultures and the nuances and differences between them throwing a blanket over both.

Have you never watched Eve's Bayou? Not all Creoles had/have lavish lives.

Also yes I know that's a film, but they did base it off a lot of research of the area and lifestyles there. I think it was a period piece of sorts, tho.

Compulsion Games are working with Sweet Baby Inc, they were on the list of approved clients.

That is the only truly unfortunate part about this game.

Or any game where SBI are involved, honestly.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
It looks like the type of game that was coming out every week in the ps2 era. Shadowman and American McGee Alice type of shit. Not necessarily a bad thing but idk how you were blown away by that showing unless you work for Sweet Baby Inc.
someone had to remind us. great post!...

i'm fine with this game, just as i was with all those similar ones back then. it's this blatant promotional effort attempting to convince us that we're witnessing something extraordinary that i find kinda repulsive, particularly when it's attempting to pass itself off as 'game journalism'...

Top Bottom