• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes - Xbox’s ‘South Of Midnight’ Is Renewing My Faith In Video Games

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looked like Forspoken 2.0 to me

batman-why-did-you-say-that-name.gif

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Looks like it has potential if the framerate is right. I understand that is part of the aesthetic the jittering but I’m not sure I could play that.

Definitely looks neat though in a “Kena Bridge of spirits” way. I still haven’t played that game but it looks like a smaller budget title that is still visually appealing.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I mean sure, the game looks good & fun, but "renewing your faith in gaming"? There's nothing there from what I've seen that makes it THAT special. This is what I hate about Western games journalism & media; when it comes to Xbox, they go out of their way to exaggerate a good thing into God's next miracle blessing upon the Earth.

They puff up Microsoft and Xbox to no end, meanwhile they seem to also go out of their way to mute and downplay anything good Sony does with PlayStation or make it sound like its "no big deal". It's blatant favoritism and they're probably one of the biggest reasons actual gamers who aren't in the Cult of Phil, ridicule Xbox so much. It's to balance out the hyperbolic hype games journalists push for the brand.

Most of them haven't even played it.

That dude is a true Xcuck. I will always love this reminder of his Xcuckery:

kEzajn4.jpeg
The article does mention Astro Bot, in the OP.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It looks like the type of game that was coming out every week in the ps2 era. Shadowman and American McGee Alice type of shit. Not necessarily a bad thing but idk how you were blown away by that showing unless you work for Sweet Baby Inc.
Shadowman and alice were a bit of an higher tier than your average ps2 weekly release, cmon.

adamsapple

They puff up Microsoft and Xbox to no end, meanwhile they seem to also go out of their way to mute and downplay anything good Sony does with PlayStation or make it sound like its "no big deal". It's blatant favoritism and they're probably one of the biggest reasons actual gamers who aren't in the Cult of Phil, ridicule Xbox so much. It's to balance out the hyperbolic hype games journalists push for the brand

You should at the very least read the article, or the paragraphs I've copied in the OP, before posting.

GymWolf

Gold Member
devs need to pander to ADHD zoomers who are used to looking up everything on their phone. They can't go 12 milliseconds without being told what's going on, and with just their thoughts in their head.

I found schizo Aloy in HFW to be really weird but apparently it's the new thing.
At least aloy somehow has a lore reason to speak to herself, she was casted away by his tribe and was basically alone for all her infancy except for one dude being the hard father figure (but hardly a chatty one).

She probably talked to herself a lot for like 17 years.

Still annoying in practice for the player but she is no schizo, just a lonely chick.

Gameplay looks good
Cool visuals
Cool setting
Music in trailer was great

A shame about that Sweet Baby involvement. Otherwise I would have bought day one. I’ll play on GamePass and if it’s good, then I’ll buy.

Either way it’s nice to see another good looking new IP from Xbox. Wish their main competitor would try that more.

That dude is a true Xcuck. I will always love this reminder of his Xcuckery:

kEzajn4.jpeg

Is it really a flex to use childish console warrior language like “Xcuckery” and then post a picture where a journalist has blocked you on twitter because you play console warrior there, too? Jesus 😆 I will never understand the mentality.

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of that small game om Gamepass, the Gunk, where you had to clean up the planet and discover what was going on.

We don't have enough Cajun-themed works in videogames, but it just seems uninteresting.

I hate her pixie dust glider thing. Just screams girl power.

Presentation is key that's where it's lacking.

Robb

Gold Member
devs need to pander to ADHD zoomers who are used to looking up everything on their phone. They can't go 12 milliseconds without being told what's going on, and with just their thoughts in their head.
I guess that’s what making games “for the modern audience” means..

In any case, it’s super annoying.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
I hope the black lady isn't too sassy. I've had enough of sassy black ladies. I live down south, so the Cajun accents and Louisiana swamps aren't as exotic to me as they might be to others.

Compulsion's last game was We Happy Few, which wasn't very well-received. We'll see how they do with this one, but that makes me a little cautious.

Compulsion also has the Community Manager who hates gamers and thinks white men were a mistake. So... yeah.

Sweet Baby is involved...

BlackTron

Gold Member
Thanks, Forbes. I took a quick glance at this guys other articles. Without going too deep:

That Sweet 2TB Galaxy Black Xbox Series X Will Be Mine, Cosmically

‘Turok’ Trilogy Getting Dino-Mite Physical Releases On PlayStation, Xbox & Nintendo Switch

Personally, not sure I can go any further but someone else can feel free to take over.

SteadyEvo

Lmao it looks like shit though.
I wouldn’t say shit but it looked a little rough. Looks likes they’re going for a “stuttering” aesthetic. Reminds me of Nightmare before Christmas.

Of all the games shown I wouldn’t have picked this to renew my faith gaming. Different strokes.

I’ll play it

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thanks, Forbes. I took a quick glance at this guys other articles. Without going too deep:

That Sweet 2TB Galaxy Black Xbox Series X Will Be Mine, Cosmically

‘Turok’ Trilogy Getting Dino-Mite Physical Releases On PlayStation, Xbox & Nintendo Switch

Personally, not sure I can go any further but someone else can feel free to take over.
Didn't knew the writer of forspoken was also a forbes writer.

Ummmmm,

Wtf GIF by MOODMAN

The jarring animation style made it hard to believe that is what they were going for. I think the setting could be pretty damned cool, but by God that claymation animation style they used actually felt worse than any game I've played in a very long time. The show was filled with bangers, and one of the shittiest looking games out of the whole thing is "Renewing Your Faith In Video Games"?

Bull Bullshit GIF by Travis

Deerock71

“It’s a little Kena: Bridge of Spirits, a little Horizon Zero Dawnand a little Shadow of the Colossus, but rolled up into a possibly fresh Cajun package that has tons of potential”

Huh? Did we [RECEIVE] the same [BRIBE]?
FTFY

Naked Lunch

The visuals, animation, voodoo southern lore setting, live band non-videogamey soundtrack during play (kinda reminded me of Bastion)...
All very unique, and different than the videogame norm.

The gameplay 'seemed' very PS2 era however. We'll see how it turns out under an actual playtest.

Imagine thinking this game looks like shit. Feels like a pretty high budget bold and new IP to me. It has a very distinct art style, a cool setting that gives a great reason to feature a black cast without any shoehorning DEI crap, appealing graphics, what looks to be an awesome soundtrack and some really cool folklore. Maybe I'm biased as a New Orleans boy, but I came away from the Xbox showcase thinking about this game the most. I also like that the main character seemed like a nice girl with a southern accent. She even has on her Sunday best with a church in the background on the game logo, so the game also doesn't seem to be scared of any Christian influence. Now I'm sure Sweet Baby has touched the game, so it could end up being a mess, but from what we've seen so far, it looks damn awesome.
As a Cajun I'm shaking my head at them thinking this is Cajun influenced, it's creole influenced. Not Cajun.
A common mistake, yes.
Hope it's not a new Hellblade 2.
Have you watched the trailer? LOL

Last edited:

Taur007

had this been a Sony game you guys would be screaming "alpha" at the top of your lungs, but I expect nothing less from the same group of people that are already doing damage control for that trash game concord loool

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think the game looks interesting. Looks like it's set in the bayou, so Louisiana...some voo-doo vibes going on there for sure. I am a fan of the stop-motion aesthetic.

People who say the frame-rate is bad....are idiots...plain and simple. The animation looks like that BY DESIGN, fuckin retards. Its not a technical issue.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Probably that and the quick movement, but yeah. This game is not at all similar to Forspoken. It looked closest to God of War to me.

I can see the Kena comparisons for the game play, but yeah the Forspoken comparisons are just ridiculous.

deff not, there's already threads about what the game needs to do to "succeed" lol even ps fans know it's a flop incoming
I saw that thread, but we all know the one true Concord champion is James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford
I can see the Kena comparisons for the game play, but yeah the Forspoken comparisons are just ridiculous.
The corruption walls I guess, but that's more a DMC mechanic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom