• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Water Stealth!
03TqJ3V.gif

You're hidden quite well while crouching and moving slowly in water.

Jokes on you. I camp Loot Lake and finish the greedy fools going for the chests on the row boats.

They are slow as molasses and I love seeing them panic in the water.

---

NEW PATCH! Makes Assault Rifles more accurate and reduces reloads.

GodofWine

The ๖ۜBronx;250416845 said:
From what I've seen of PUBG that's exactly what happens when people set down? Land -> find loot.

It is, but the map is SOOOooo big , and there are enough random houses mixed into the landscape that you can literally jump in, find somewhere small, go way off to the side and find more supplies, and not actually see a person until you make your way back to the circle where only 30 people are left.

A lot of people jump into certain high value places though, and do fight right away. In FNBR its all kinda like that. 10 random huts scattered in the empty areas that have a sub machine gun or something, just to give you the option of 'getting away from people' to start the match would help disperse the initial action.

Assault Rifles didn't see bad to me...I'd like to see pistols given a slight buff, and to be spawned in more places.

It is, but the map is SOOOooo big , and there are enough random houses mixed into the landscape that you can literally jump in, find somewhere small, go way off to the side and find more supplies, and not actually see a person until you make your way back to the circle where only 30 people are left.

A lot of people jump into certain high value places though, and do fight right away. In FNBR its all kinda like that. 10 random huts scattered in the empty areas that have a sub machine gun or something, just to give you the option of 'getting away from people' to start the match would help disperse the initial action.

Assault Rifles didn't see bad to me...I'd like to see pistols given a slight buff, and to be spawned in more places.
Honestly that's really the gameplay formula for this genre. Land, Loot, and Survive. The map is only big at the start and makes you strategize and think your next move. Do you sit back and wait or do you push forward ? Eventually it comes down to patience in the end and sometimes luck lol.

That's the thing though, my experience of FNBR is about the same. I often don't see anyone until there's like <50 left. There are a ton of huts and houses outside of the villages and towns, that seem to hold all the types of weapons. Last game I played I got a gold SCAR from a small hut that was out the way.

Not going to argue against larger map sizes though, would definitely love that.

redfox088

Banned
The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;250419926 said:
That's the thing though, my experience of FNBR is about the same. I often don't see anyone until there's like <50 left. There are a ton of huts and houses outside of the villages and towns, that seem to hold all the types of weapons. Last game I played I got a gold SCAR from a small hut that was out the way.

Not going to argue against larger map sizes though, would definitely love that.
Not unless they patch in vehicles...which probably isn’t worth the effort for a F2P game

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Not sure if this is by design but the directional sound in this game is awful. I can’t tell worth a shit where people are coming from by footsteps half the time.

Pretty jarring coming from Overwatch and being able to tell direction and height with pinpoint accuracy.

Not unless they patch in vehicles...which probably isn’t worth the effort for a F2P game

I believe they've said they're open to larger maps in the future but are developing the current one to offer more points of interest. They've confirmed no immediate plan for vehicles as they want to focus on on-foot gameplay.

redfox088

Banned
The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;250420568 said:
I believe they've said they're open to larger maps in the future but are developing the current one to offer more points of interest. They've confirmed no immediate plan for vehicles as they want to focus on on-foot gameplay.
Goddangitbobby.gif

Inskipp

They really need to patch out bushes
Dense bushes in which you can crouch tend to be pretty sparsely scattered around the enviroment, so it is easy to distinguish where they are (especially after you get ganked near one), and double-check for campers. Much more so than in PUBG, where the amount of foliage tends to be overwhelming and most characters tend to blend in the enviroment due to the uniform color scheme.

To be frank, I'm surprised that camouflaging is even possible in this game, considering how saturated and distinct its presentation is.

Not sure if this is by design but the directional sound in this game is awful. I can’t tell worth a shit where people are coming from by footsteps half the time.

Pretty jarring coming from Overwatch and being able to tell direction and height with pinpoint accuracy.

I can accurately hear when an enemy is outside my house and when they come up the stairs. I tend to know where they are when they sprint up on me too.

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;250420568 said:

Imagine ambushing a vehicle by building a solid steel wall in its path.

Wasn't possible to patch in reduced pregame lobby time?

Come on now.

Well this patch is coming out only a couple days after release. I'm sure that they have changes ranked by importance and severity, so if enough people ask for reduced lobby time, it'll get bumped up in importance.

Wasn't possible to patch in reduced pregame lobby time?

Come on now.
They've said they're going to be doing this, was a comment from one of the devs on Reddit. The current one was an initial one as they had to pick a time but they've seen the feedback and will respond to it.

It would be amazing. Personally I was a bit gutted to hear about there being no plans for vehicles, but I am interested because I want to know what they've got planned to enhance the gameplay knowing that everything is on-foot.

redfox088

Banned
I can accurately hear when an enemy is outside my house and when they come up the stairs. I tend to know where they are when they sprint up on me too.

And putting dynamite or spikes down behind the wall....

Mikey Jr.

I say chop 45 seconds off the clock imo. That's my opinion. Even 30 would be ok.

And good ar is getting a buff in accuracy. I was shooting at a guy probably 30 feet away, and missing so many shots with my blue AR.

It was fucked up.

Just got my second win, this time in squads with randoms. It was eerie how well my partner and I worked together. The other 2 guys were off doing their own thing and between the two of us we took out at least 9 or more people.

We ended up hunkering down in the circle and just picking off guys trying to get to it. 2 people were stupid enough to try to crawl walk through the water. We got them both easily. Then it was just the 2 of us and 1 other guy with a sniper. My partner was already off in a flanking position as he went to grab a shield potion that was revealed when we spammed grenades at a house. So I just kept shooting and keeping him distracted. Knocking down his walls while he tried to line up a sniper shot. And my partner just shot him from the side. EZ money.

The two of us set up multiple traps throughout the game, using the border to force enemy teams to push into us. All without comms. Crazy.

You just have to land in places that have like one or two houses and quit landing at the towns. I've landed plenty of times with no one else around me. Get a gun or two then hope to kill some loot goblins to flesh out the gear.

Not even that is working today. I just landed at a house next to a shed. I ran around the house looking for a fun and the guy that landed at the shed found a chest and a fucking rocket launcher.

I wouldn't mind so much of the lobby time wasn't so horrendously long. Time beteween matches is much longer than PUBG.

Ploid 3.0

Not even that is working today. I just landed at a house next to a shed. I ran around the house looking for a fun and the guy that landed at the shed found a chest and a fucking rocket launcher.

I wouldn't mind so much of the lobby time wasn't so horrendously long. Time beteween matches is much longer than PUBG.

What I do is start up the search, then do something else for a few, by the time I check back the bus is just entering, or in the middle of the map.

Yep, bush strats are dead now.

If we had vehicles, the stunts you could pull off.

If we get vehicles we better get sticky mines, or/and remote mines.

Tumle

I ride the bus to the other end of the island and have yet to be killed by the storm if the circle is far. This lessens player density. Land on a two story house + shed combo as you glide look for that yellow glow through the ripped tiles of the shed....if there land on shed if not go to the roof of the house...land on top as crates are usually are in the attic...then the fun begins
That’s a good strategy.. but you can actually reach the ends of the map by gliding in instead meaning you will be on the ground before the guys who jumps out of the bus when it’s directly on top of there targeted position:)

DjDonFrancisco

Neo Member
This game really needs vehicles, trekking across the map sucks. Automatically picking up ammo would help as well.

Gunplay is good though

I don't know about the vehicles. Yes traversal would be faster but then the fear of being caught in the storm while staying away from enemies goes out the window.

Also, that feeling of camping out in a house for a solid 2-3 minutes of silence and then suddenly hearing footsteps and a door opening is unmatched. Hearing a car drive up would ruin that IMO.

I have now completed 5 matches of Fortnite Battle Royale (I mostly hide and surprise people) and this genre is definitely not for me. I'm not usually a multiplayer or even a shooter guy so this is no surprise, but now I'm actually kinda interested in the fortnite single player... this is a solid engine, the building aspect seems cool and PvE sounds fun.

darkwing

Just got my second win, this time in squads with randoms. It was eerie how well my partner and I worked together. The other 2 guys were off doing their own thing and between the two of us we took out at least 9 or more people.

We ended up hunkering down in the circle and just picking off guys trying to get to it. 2 people were stupid enough to try to crawl walk through the water. We got them both easily. Then it was just the 2 of us and 1 other guy with a sniper. My partner was already off in a flanking position as he went to grab a shield potion that was revealed when we spammed grenades at a house. So I just kept shooting and keeping him distracted. Knocking down his walls while he tried to line up a sniper shot. And my partner just shot him from the side. EZ money.

The two of us set up multiple traps throughout the game, using the border to force enemy teams to push into us. All without comms. Crazy.

this is why it is so addicting, every game is different

GodofWine

Question about 'jumping out of a moving bus' :)

Lets say the bus is going perfectly up the spine of the map, south to north.

If one wishes to start at the furthest norther spot on the map (directly under the bus path), is it faster to wait till the end and dive bomb straight down. Or is it fast to bail out earlier and 'fly' there (assuming you use free fall / glider perfectly)

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;250430897 said:
Tried squads with randoms twice now and both times two of them have shot me dead within a minute or so. Not hogging loot, not messing around. Absolutely killed my will to play that mode, which is a shame.

Free games tend to be like this at first - eventually (sooner than later) the thrill of being a rampant d-bag will wear off and people will move on to the next game to be a dbag in

Tried squads with randoms twice now and both times two of them have shot me dead within a minute or so. Not hogging loot, not messing around. It's not a mistake either, first time they left me limping before putting a bullet in me, last time we were in a trio and then they turn, teabag and then both shoot me at the same time. Absolutely killed my will to play that mode, which is a shame.

Can't see any way to report them after you've died.

Edit: I see it. Shame I didn't screenshot the names as you need to fill them in manually.

Toe-Knee

Tried squads with randoms twice now and both times two of them have shot me dead within a minute or so. Not hogging loot, not messing around. It's not a mistake either, first time they left me limping before putting a bullet in me, last time we were in a trio and then they turn, teabag and then both shoot me at the same time. Absolutely killed my will to play that mode, which is a shame.

Edit: I see it. Shame I didn't screenshot the names as you need to fill them in manually.

If you press options on the lobby you can give feedback and one option is player so I guess you will need to have noted their names

Edit :just seen your edit of you haven't closed the game and it was in the last 15 minutes you could save the video using the share button and scroll back. That is presuming you are on ps4

Wegelius

Neo Member
They updated the patch notes. Good to see duos coming soon.

UPDATE - 1:00pm EDT: Supply Drops and Duos are coming next week, along with a detailed blog breaking down our thoughts and goals on weapon accuracy. Expect leaderboards the following week.

That sucks man. Pretty much every random squad game I've played has been pretty fun. If you're on PS4, I'd be down to squad up at some point. I am in the Discord channel.

30 second lobby please. Please!

Also, here's a cool trick for folks who hate running around mindlessly on PS4:

While running, hold the PS button. The side menu will open up but your character will still be running. I like it especially when I know it's a 3+ minute run to the next safehouse.

majik13

Im thinking they have triangle for in game menu selecting, so that you can keep your thumb on the left stick and still maintain control over your character movement. If they had it be left and right on the dpad, then you cant move while selecting your objects. A small trade off, but could be important. Before I thought it was a no brainier that left and right should be used instead, but it has its pros and cons.

UPDATE - 1:00pm EDT: Supply Drops and Duos are coming next week, along with a detailed blog breaking down our thoughts and goals on weapon accuracy. Expect leaderboards the folowing week.

OMG these guys are killing it

UPDATE - 1:00pm EDT: Supply Drops and Duos are coming next week, along with a detailed blog breaking down our thoughts and goals on weapon accuracy. Expect leaderboards the folowing week.

Epic's devs are really really good at reading feedback and making changes during their Early Access periods. Paragon has had a TON of changes. They've even made an entire new map from when it first released as the old map didn't work well for their goals and then revamped the entire in-game system, essentially changing almost everything to do with how the game was played when they felt the original system wasn't working well enough.

Nice. Thats hows you keep your players engaged and coming back.

Top Bottom