• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIQ3M6IpDU

This is insane.

This guy has a fantastic fort strat.

Just four walls and stairs, four walls and stairs, four walls and stairs until you have an insane tower.

Bet its hard to destroy that base.

Not necessarily. I saw a match where someone did the same and went up about 5 steps up. Then they placed stairs on all 4 sides the they managed to close the top. I dont know the other guy managed but he managed to knock down one side of that tall structure and bring him down to beat him in the victory. Was crazy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIQ3M6IpDU

This is insane.

This guy has a fantastic fort strat.

Just four walls and stairs, four walls and stairs, four walls and stairs until you have an insane tower.

Bet its hard to destroy that base.

Yeah rhinocrunch does the same thing. Jump and build the stairs under you. He can add another level in seconds. Then at the top open it out like a flower or funnel, to get more view angles.

Not necessarily. I saw a match where someone did the same and went up about 5 steps up. Then they placed stairs on all 4 sides the they managed to close the top. I dont know the other guy managed but he managed to knock down one side of that tall structure and bring him down to beat him in the victory. Was crazy to watch.

Yeah true, but it’s probably really risky the higher the tower is, since youd likely be seen

Unless you build a spiral around the tower itself! Cuz then the guy on top would have trouble seeing u

BobLoblaw

Banned
The worst thing about the gun play is that genuinely when people are up close the gun won't hit them with hip fire. Like....at all unless you're lucky.

Btw. Me:"The fuck was that noise? Ohhhhh shit RIP!"
ssWOvC2.gif
Lol! This game is never going to get old is it?

Nintenleo

My second win!! Holy shit, my heart’s pumping so much.

I had 0 kills until there was left only me and two other players. I hided behind a bush watching the two guys shoot each other. One of them died and I shoot the other guy in the back with a snipe rifle.

I played like a coward, true, but I got too many second places in the last few days.

Man I hate how by the time the first circle closes in, theres like 30 people left

Everybody still dropping asap and getting wrecked

In hoping they add 2 or so more areas to help spread out players. That and changes to the diving to ensure people dont bail out right away since it’s easier than waiting on the bus

The entire west side feels a little barren compared to the east which has a lot of the popular areas.

My little strategy is always landing me in the top 10 easily

I pretty much am totally isolated to loot until then since players avoid some areas that arent really on the map. They arent worth exploring alone, but they are a string of locations that are usually uncontested

Argh. I love this game. Multiplayer GOTY for me unless Im forgetting something

Man I hate how by the time the first circle closes in, theres like 30 people left

The problem is there are only like 8 named areas and a couple more like the prison that everyone wants to go to.

So then there are 8 or 9 people per small area. And 3 of those arrive unlucky or late and get wrecked. People who get a gun immediately camp waiting for someone to push the building they are in to pick up a cheap kill. If they camp they have a huge advantage over the guy pushing the building.

That's why there is only 30 people left by the time everyone vacates their first zone.

The entire west side feels a little barren compared to the east which has a lot of the popular areas.

While that seems true, Greasy Grove and Pleasant Park are some of the best places to jump to. I love fighting out of those 2 towns. But I'll never jump to them if they're the first areas the plane flies over.

The devs said they're going to add additional points of interest to this map, which should help.

ultron87

Been playing this a bit today and yesterday and got the solo win in just now. Had 0 kills for almost the whole match, just running around the lake area mostly, then at the end killed 5 of the last 14. I was glad to win, of course, but I think the general sloppiness of the shooting lessens a lot of the momentousness for me. I hope they can improve on that. It just doesn't really feel like I outshot those players that I got in mid range firefights with, more just that my general spray of gunfire happened to connect when theirs didn't.

Ploid 3.0

Forgive my ignorance but if this game is F2p on consoles, how is it monetised?

Cosmetics and maybe weapon skins in the future. It's early access still, they are focused on getting the game to a good gameplay and features point before adding monetization so far. That's good, but I want to see the skins. Though PVE skins look awesome.

Dammmn I actually never saw someone play on PC, man those control, you can never do something so precise on PS4 :(

Right? It's insane. You can still do it on console, but not as insanely smooth as that.

Been playing this a bit today and yesterday and got the solo win in just now. Had 0 kills for almost the whole match, just running around the lake area mostly, then at the end killed 5 of the last 14. I was glad to win, of course, but I think the general sloppiness of the shooting lessens a lot of the momentousness for me. I hope they can improve on that. It just doesn't really feel like I outshot those players that I got in mid range firefights with, more just that my general spray of gunfire happened to connect when theirs didn't.

Do you stop, crouch, and fire? Or run and gun?

I find the shooting feels much better when you stop and time some of your shots (dont go full auto on AR for example)

Will agree that they need to remove the RNG aspects

So any PUBG players: I know people say PUBG TPP is bad because its too easy to camp and pop out, and that FPP is how the game should be played.

How does that translate to Fortnite? It seems the lack of prone and free look maybe helps with the TPP in Fortnite?

----

Also, any more full vids from Youtubers to follow? I am enjoying watching others play

Ploid 3.0

So any PUBG players: I know people say PUBG TPP is bad because its too easy to camp and pop out, and that FPP is how the game should be played.

How does that translate to Fortnite? It seems the lack of prone and free look maybe helps with the TPP in Fortnite?

----

Also, any more full vids from Youtubers to follow? I am enjoying watching others play

As a old Socom 2 player, I think Third Person is great. Sure you get corners, but you can peep around corners in Rainbow Six also (the old ones, clearing rooms was a new thing for me back then, and it was fun), and I loved doing that. It's on the assaulter, or the person not behind cover to be ready to be ambushed.

As a old Socom 2 player, I think Third Person is great. Sure you get corners, but you can peep around corners in Rainbow Six also (the old ones, clearing rooms was a new thing for me back then, and it was fun), and I loved doing that. It's on the assaulter, or the person not behind cover to be ready to be ambushed.

Agreed. FPP takes a lot of strategy out of the equation. Third Person perspective allows peaking. Sure. But everyone can do it. That's what makes it even. You have to consider positioning, approach, even which way you strafe in a firefight. FPP makes it more about reaction time than anything else.

^ Interesting, so you guys prefer it in PUBG?

My current pc isn't strong enough to play PUBG (only 1gb VRAM) but the third person perspective was a huge aspect of what interested me in it. I like the single life, sim style BR as well (after all I'm playing Fortnite right?) but the Third Person was what sealed it for me. Watching FPP streams... it just doesn't grab me as much as it did previously.

When I eventually upgrade my gaming rig (or just straight up replace it) I have no doubt I'll pick up PUBG provided the Third Person servers are still alive and active. I imagine I'll play both PUBG and Fortnite on it. For now though, I'm playing Fortnite on my PS4.

Cat Party

What is the technique for getting the most distance when dropping? Seems like no matter what I try someone has always beat me to far off places.

Weapons actually feel pretty solid right now. The headshot damage multiplier is probably my biggest sticking point left. It's just too much of a damage bonus on non-precision weapons in my opinion. Very easy to get a lucky assault rifle headshot while trading bullets.

selo

Is anyone else enjoying this more than PUBG? I like that this game has encounters more often than in PUBG. Sometimes in pubg, you spend a large amount of time prepping, just to be killed 'out of nowhere'; in tthis game at least, sessions seem to be shorter and rewards you faster, at least for me, anyways.

leehom

Yes!!!, finally won a game legitimately. Camped out near the edges and let everyone kill themselves. Last person left and he didn't know where I was hiding. Had a gun fight for a minute until I finally killed him. If he shot me one more time I would've died.

Maximus P

My friends and I were getting a little frustrated with this last night. Everyone seemed to be having problems getting shots on people and the game was lagging for everyone.

They really need to overhaul the gunplay soon.

*Splinter

----

#bushstrats

Yeah it's not ideal. I can sit behind cover (or in a bush!) on top of a hill and keep lookout over a huge section of map without exposing myself at all.

I had a game where I ended up in a good circle position: cover, high ground, no risk of being flanked. I was able to track the last few players as they whittled each other down to a final player whom I killed before he even knew he'd been seen. All that while hardly moving and without even the possibility of being seen myself.

It's cheap as hell, but I'm not expecting FPP to be patched in so it is what it is I guess.

*Splinter

What is the technique for getting the most distance when dropping? Seems like no matter what I try someone has always beat me to far off places.
Hold forward and put your landing zone just below your feet with the camera.

If you try to go too flat the fov will lower and you'll drop like a stone. Aim a bit below that point for maximum distance and you can get most of the way across the map from the start.

Slight improvement: put the area where you want your chute to open just below your feet, baring in mind you can continue to glide for about the width of your minimap to reach your final destination (less if you want to land on a roof).

Also be careful of mountains, they can cause your chute to open earlier than necessary.

Well that's just great.

Down to the next to last circle, only about 8 people left. I'm doing really well, 6 kills, got some really nice stuff.

Kicked out of the server.

sp3ctr3

Can the enemy actually hear you when you crouch walk? I can hear that my own footsteps get quieter but are enemies still able to hear it?

I've got so many top 10's now that I lost count but only won once. I can't hit anything with the shotgun, it's so frustrating. I've begun to go with the SMG instead for close range.

What do you do when you are top three and the two other standing have forts and shoot eachother with rocket launchers?

You hide in a bush and look out for the rockets flying over your head.

And kill the one still alive when the dust settles.

Can the enemy actually hear you when you crouch walk? I can hear that my own footsteps get quieter but are enemies still able to hear it?

I've got so many top 10's now that I lost count but only won once. I can't hit anything with the shotgun, it's so frustrating. I've begun to go with the SMG instead for close range.

people sleep on the smg. The purple smg absolutely shreds, and is viable midrange as well.

But good luck on getting 1st, they'll start coming eventually

Has anyone seen this before?
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Sproglobber/video/37292295

As I was spectating I was thinking there was no other player left... This guy was strafing side to side all on his own is the smallest circle I've seen yet.
Then he looked up.

Can't be a good strat, the bottom gets shot out and you're toast.
fooled everyone though!
Was how I got my first Royale with cheese.

No one looked up or shot the entire game and I survived half a second longer because I used a bandage. Also went from 999 wood to 3X so only had three things left, very lucky!

Top Bottom