• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

vg260

Wow..

Without a CD-Key your game disc is completely and totally useless, its a coaster. In the case of Forza 5, your game disc is basically your CD-Key. Now given that you own a console that REQUIRED AN INTERNET CONNECTION to work, its not far fetched to assume that you can connect online and download a patch for the game.

You just defined every disc-based game.

Ishan

Reading almost every post in here I can come to only one conclusion: many of you don't have an internet connection. How you are able to post on Neogaf is another mystery.

They can release it on the same day the Xbone comes out + a download. Or you had to wait for the game after the release of Xbone.

don't see the big deal.

Also some of you make it sound as if you have never downloaded anything to your consoles?? well get used to it, cause I am 100% sure that games like GTAV will have to install something onto he disc( installing, downloading same thing to me)

Lol ironically my wifi is off this month so 3G ftw on gaf ... Also part of the confusion to some of us is also can others download the patch too. The way turn10 explains it you login and get the patch once you have the retail disc . Say now I lend this disc to my friend can be also login and download the patch or will he have to pay etc ... Depending on the answer its as you said either just a large patch or more DRMesque from the Pre 180 xbone. Maybe this has already been clarified earlier but I still see some back and forth in the past few posts ...

EDIT Okay guess consensus is its not locked into the account . Hmm then yeah I personally don't see the big drm fuss ... Just an annoying download so Internet issues remain but not really other concerns IMO

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry, I fail to see how this is even worth getting worked up over. Fairly certain they are doing this to maximize content, you will be able to play while downloading. In a sense it's not so different then buying a steam key or sitting through a mandatory install. Really, at some point, people are looking to complain about anything, and it's getting tiresome.

Ms has made it fairly clear from the start that XB1 is a connected console. It's the only aspect of their message that hasn't been a murky, convoluted mess. If your Internet is so shitty or inconsistent, in all seriousness, you should stay away. You will not have a good experience.

if the '30% of consumers don't connect xbox 360 to the internet' is in any way an accurate figure, is there a risk MS will have care/returns issues at launch with people buying it but not being able to use it?

I agree it is better when connected, but if lots of people won't, that can cause problems.

Mael

I think that when Dan said that you could download while playing,
he meant download the extra tracks & cars while playing Forza 5

I guess only two types of people still keep on going like forza wont be even bootable:
those who didn't bother to read the interview, and those who just want to curse microsoft at any chance they get...

If you want to curse at microsoft, lets join up and curse together to either remove the kinect from the xbox,
or at least make it possible that we can physically unplug the stupid thing and throw it away.
this way the cursing wont be for nothing.
As others have pointed out it's not clear (even after the "clarification") just how far the dl stuffs goes.
We'll see when it goes live I guess, not like I'll ever be there to try.
It's not like I'll ever trust MSFT with a launch console.

*"Look at his psx collection*
Wut?

commedieu

Banned
a Patch/DLC can be downloaded by anyone... what are you trying to say here..? are you suggesting that the FREE day one DLC/Patch is only possible to download once for each copy of the game..? if so. then YES that post was made by aliens.

if it's Trojan drm, yes. which is why people are speculating, based on the drm direction ms wanted to go. like op pointed out. since all Microsoft speculation turns out to be true, its a point of discussion.

without a cdkey, a game is useless.
without the day one patch, the game is useless.

but we are on the same page, as you're aware that fm5 is basically a cdkey.

Its not an cd key. After registering an cd key you can't lend your key to someone else.
As long as the other person has an internet connection he can lend the game from you.

If you see a day one patch as drm then sure no use in argueing because we have different vision of what drm is and its easier to agree to disagree on this.

velociraptor

a Patch/DLC can be downloaded by anyone... what are you trying to say here..? are you suggesting that the FREE day one DLC/Patch is only possible to download once for each copy of the game..? if so. then YES that post was made by aliens.
What a disaster that would be.

TheHater

I didn't realize that EVERY DISK-BASED games REQUIRE a one time internet connection to work.

I said it once and I will say it again.
Release the game digitally only for launch and then release the disk-base version a few weeks/months later when you have complete game. Everyone that pre-order Forza already can receive a download code to download the game from Xbox live.

How is requiring to download a patch in some way infringing your rights to the content? DRM is a nice word for Copy Protection.
Although DRM has various definitions, it certainly encompasses more than just copy protection.
Usually the game would work out of the box and that's what people's expectations are. But now it only allows me to enjoy my content once I log in and download a mandatory patch. It's a restriction not as serious has before the 180 because the game is not attached to your account, but it is still a restriction on how you can use your content nonetheless.

For most people that only care for a game for a few months and then get rid of it it's not a huge problem. But for people who keep their games or for whatever reason are in a situation where they don't have an internet connection when acquiring the game it's a very different story.

Weren't they touting the power of the cloud in this game previously? So the cloud was moot all along?

All the cloud is is a serve farm. Most likely the same one that will distribute this 'free DLC,' which is a bullshit description of whats actually happening an what this actually is. Yeah its downloadable content, but its stuff that should have been on the disc!!!

Will be VERY intereating to see the consumer fallout, if any, related to this scenario and others like it that are sure to come up post-launch.

The issue with maximizing content has nothing to do with disc space, rather, as clearly stated it has to do with timing. This will allow them to continue to work on the game after the discs are pressed.

Again--really, in this day and age, if your Internet is metered, slow or spotty, this is not the console for you. Period. This is not a tacit defense of Microsoft's policies, or a justification of their strategy. It is a cold statement of fact, and one that should make your next gen buying decisions ridiculously easy. This is the route they are going, for better or worse, and if you don't agree with it, I'd avoid xb1 like the plague. But wasting time lamenting it every time it comes up? Not really worth it.
Because I have shitty internet, I should skip the Xbone. Got it.

Because I have shitty internet, I won't be allowed to play the latest iteration of my favorite racing series ever. One that I played with my nephews day in and day out. One that I spent countless hours on creating liveries and tuning my cars to meet my hyperspecific needs. Got it.

That's a great way to treat your fanbase.

GodofWine

So...they basically are working 24/7 on this game and not going to have done in time for qualification, and need to basically sell it to you digitally on day one.

Is there anyway to know whats on disc, and whats not? Will be interesting to see how much is DLd.

In a way it sucks to NEED internet to play (wont effect me, but there are millions of users out there affected), but since the xb1 won't work without a day one connection/check in for some reason, then this shouldn't be a problem for users (with internet).

But you know, on christmas morning there is gonna be a lot of people (100s/1000s?) that realize that they bought a box that wont work cause they dont have internet, and they didn't know that...its gonna happen.

I didn't realize that EVERY DISK-BASED games REQUIRE a one time internet connection to work.

I said it once and I will say it again.
Release the game digitally only for launch and then release the disk-base version a few weeks/months later when you have complete game. Everyone that pre-order Forza already can receive a download code to download the game from Xbox live.

The people that will get the X1 on day one will have an internet connection.
Hell i don't even know people i could lend games to that don't have an internet connection and if the hadn't that can bring over their X1 and make use of my internet connection to download the patch.
Why would microsoft delay the disk version if beyond me.

Maybe sku wave 2 or 3 will have the patch included on disk.

Vestal

Gold Member
if it's Trojan drm, yes. which is why people are speculating, based on the drm direction ms wanted to go. like op pointed out. since all Microsoft speculation turns out to be true, its a point of discussion.

You are taking a statement made by Turn10 and reading stuff into it that does not exist. No were in the statement is there even a hint that somehow the game disc is tied to your account.

Ok i am going to request some logical thinking here.

If this is what some of you are suggesting, aka DRM DRM DRM DRM. Then why did Microsoft do the 180?!?! I mean this would be an even worse system than before. At least before you didn't need to have discs in the drive.. Can't we all just realize that it makes ABSOLUTELY zero sense for them to tie a retail game disc to an account?!?!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this isn't about whether it is inconvenient to you or I, that have great internet. Its whether it is inconvenient to those that don't plan to connect it to the internet at all.

Although then the entire console won't work becuase it needs a one-time connection.

It is ok for launch IMO - T10 expected online to be available and planned accordingly. But within 6 months I expect all Xboxes to be shipping with updated OS so they don't need a day one patch, and that almost no other games *require* a day one connection to even run.

vg260

They don't, obviously. Someone was equating this game disc to a CD-key, and thus being abhorrent because you need the disc to play, which was what I was commenting on.

The people that will get the X1 on day one will have an internet connection.
Hell i don't even know people i could lend games to that don't have an internet connection and if the hadn't that can bring over their X1 and make use of my internet connection to download the patch.
Why would microsoft delay the disk version if beyond me.

Maybe sku wave 2 or 3 will have the patch included on disk.

I'm sure it will be plastered all over the box that an internet connection is required to set up the system or play the game.

commedieu

Banned
Its not an cd key. After registering an cd key you can't lend your key to someone else.
As long as the other person has an internet connection he can lend the game from you.

If you see a day one patch as drm then sure no use in argueing because we have different vision of what drm is and its easier to agree to disagree on this.
yea ive been trying to get confirmation in the thread if you can trade, and responses leading down the path of the inability to trade, is what you're responding to.

if the game didn't allow you to trade, there would be no difference. it seemed that it wasn't specifically verified. which is why this thread is so long, with ns's bad history.

if it's verified, there's no reason to think it's drm. but I've said that already.

Mascot

I bet Dan rues the day he ever agreed to provide a launch title for the Xbone.

I wonder what content will be cut and what compromises made to hit day one? It can't be good for the overall game, that's for sure.

commedieu

Banned
You are taking a statement made by Turn10 and reading stuff into it that does not exist. No were in the statement is there even a hint that somehow the game disc is tied to your account.

Ok i am going to request some logical thinking here.

If this is what some of you are suggesting, aka DRM DRM DRM DRM. Then why did Microsoft do the 180?!?! I mean this would be an even worse system than before. At least before you didn't need to have discs in the drive.. Can't we all just realize that it makes ABSOLUTELY zero sense for them to tie a retail game disc to an account?!?!

I was discussing how this could be drm, without knowing if it was verified that you could trade and get the patch without being the original owner. and sure wasnt the only one.

I know it's hard to follow, when you have to feverishly mash the caps lock button + multiple ?!?!'s, but it's been " if" for a few pages. again, if it didn't allow you to trade, that would be drm, like a cdkey.

ms didn't grasp their drm originally was horrible. I don't have faith in their xbox division making consumer friendly decisions without hind sight. which is something the board and I agree with.

saladine1

I wonder what content will be cut and what compromises made to hit day one? It can't be good for the overall game, that's for sure.

It really will be interesting to see what kind of features and content will be made available in the final game. Without weather, night, Porsche, rally, pit stops..etc, you have to wonder what's taking up all their time..

scitek

Wait a sec, can you sell it and then the person that bought it used can still download the content without doing anything extra? Cuz if so, that's really not a huge deal to me. I get that games should come in playable states on the disc, and there needs to be a warning that if you can't connect online to stay away, but it's still not as bad as the DRM used to be.

It should be apparent to all, but MS should just come out and say it. "If you don't have the internet, the X1 clearly isn't for you." The US has the worst broadband adoption rate in the countries they're targeting and even then it's 75% of households. It probably won't affect that many people who are actually into gaming as a hobby.

Ironic that the most popular games of the day are online only, yet there is a major internet backlash (even more ironic) about ever having to use the internet in conjunction with gaming. Whatever though. The times are moving past you anti-internet guys... anti-internet guys that post on internet forums.

I think that when Dan said that you could download while playing,
he meant download the extra tracks & cars while playing Forza 5

I guess only two types of people still keep on going like forza wont be even bootable:
those who didn't bother to read the interview, and those who just want to curse microsoft at any chance they get...

this and what i wrote should be bolded in the OP and it pretty much shows how much of a non issue this is...

Wait a sec, can you sell it and then the person that bought it used can still download the content without doing anything extra? Cuz if so, that's really not a huge deal to me. I get that games should come in playable states on the disc, and there needs to be a warning that if you can't connect online to stay away, but it's still not as bad as the DRM used to be.
Hopefully this is just the case of one company not getting their shit together in time, and not the first part of a strategy from MS to force as many people to connect online as possible.

So delay the game you are suggesting?

Users have to download it regardless...

How does the thread where Sony shuts down servers for an entire developer barely get noticed?

MS releases a patch due to their 180 decision and the forum's up in arms. Forza was developed expecting to be always online like the XB1. Seems to me that it just needs a day one patch as well.

1) What does Sony have anything to do with this?

2) Zipper isn't a dev anymore. They don't exist.

3) What does that have anything to do with THIS topic!?

Mael

It should be apparent to all, but MS should just come out and say it. "If you don't have the internet, the X1 clearly isn't for you." The US has the worst broadband adoption rate in the countries they're targeting and even then it's 75% of households. It probably won't affect that many people who are actually into gaming as a hobby.

Ironic that the most popular games of the day are online only, yet there is a major internet backlash (even more ironic) about ever having to use the internet in conjunction with gaming. Whatever though. The times are moving past you anti-internet guys... anti-internet guys that post on internet forums.

Ah the always standard "b, bu, but the future!".
Newflash : the future in consumer electronic is determined by the customers.
If the customers deem the xbone unworthy, it'll have to change or disappear.
MSFT saw Zune as the future once, see where that lead them.

And which game as the most popular games are online only exactly?
Minecraft? TLoU? Halo? Mario? CoD?

Ishan

It really will be interesting to see what kind of features and content will be made available in the final game. Without weather, night, Porsche, rally, pit stops..etc, you have to wonder what's taking up all their time..

60 fps :p hehe .... Hmm guess they're having to recode stuff which assumed the daily Internet ... Drivatar was one of their main focuses wasnt it . And now they probably have to modify the code to allow for irregular updates maybe

MaLDo

Steam preload files into one disc.

Designed to avoid prelauch illegal releases.

But buying in steam you don't have to go to buy the retail copy. So I can't see a consumer benefit here.

p3tran

Banned

features being cut because of time restraints is nothing new to turn10. I'd say it's bread and butter, since these guys always run on a tight schedule.

day 1 on new hardware is even more tight than usual though, and of course many things will not make it from the test to the final, or even from design to test.

but still, laser scanned tracks and new physics at the graphics level they demonstrated is good enough for me.
or, to put it better, its great for me.

of course more features will come with forza 6, horizon 2 etc, but never the less, DAY 1!
unpack the console and bam! you've got next gen forza to go 8)

only problem is that unless microsoft sorts its shit with kinect, I wont buy the machine nor the game.
so fix your shiet microsoft! pronto!

cormack12

Gold Member
Bit of a weird one really. Just sounds like they are fast tracking through QA to get it as a launch title. Just backs up all the rumours about MS struggling with timescales and being ready for launch. I think they're missing the point though. The disc is basically now a vessel for huge amounts of data. No one wants to buy a game then have to download portions of it additionally, even if they are in the background.

It sounds as though the model Sony adopted with DriveClub might have been better for MS in this instance.

I bought GT5 not long ago and had to sit through about 6GB worth of updates. Got right on my nerves, but I expected it being an older title.

No story here until we find out data size. If it's less than 1GB, don't see the problem (the Xbox One needs internet access anyway to download the day 1 patch). If we're talking about 3GB+ then yeah I'd be pretty livid.

p3tran

Banned
No story here until we find out data size. If it's less than 1GB, don't see the problem (the Xbox One needs internet access anyway to download the day 1 patch). If we're talking about 3GB+ then yeah I'd be pretty livid.

"cars and tracks" is the description of the downloadable stuff, and them being 1080p assets,
I dont see the download being less than 4-6gigs.

as long as it downloads in the background while you play, I dont think size will be a problem.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Seriously you people act like their charging you for it or something, your almost guaranteed that all launch games for next gen will have day\week 1 patches.

GodofWine

How does the thread where Sony shuts down servers for an entire developer barely get noticed?

MS releases a patch due to their 180 decision and the forum's up in arms. Forza was developed expecting to be always online like the XB1. Seems to me that it just needs a day one patch as well.

Zipper is dead, the games are mostly dead (all totally dead or glitched except for MAG, which is fading fast).

This patch, and their box, effects me indirectly, my dad has a non connected 360 and plays Forza 3, and 4, and Dirt 2, he's 67 and enjoys auto sports.

For christmas this year, guess what I can't get my old man, an xb1, or forza 5.

, your almost guaranteed that all launch games for next gen will have day\week 1 patches.

Yea, but these 'other' games will 'work' without the patch. This game will not 'work'...

besada

Banned
It should be apparent to all, but MS should just come out and say it. "If you don't have the internet, the X1 clearly isn't for you."

They already did. Don Mattrick told people without internet to buy a 360, which enraged people. They've been pretty up front that the XBox One is an online console. The only people who seem to have a problem understanding that are folks who want it to be something other than it is.

m0dus is right, if you don't have reliable broadband internet, the X1 is not the console for you, period.

Raide

Zipper is dead, the games are mostly dead (all totally dead or glitched except for MAG, which is fading fast).

This patch, and their box, effects me indirectly, my dad has a non connected 360 and plays Forza 3, and 4, and Dirt 2, he's 67 and enjoys auto sports.

Yea, but these 'other' games will 'work' without the patch. This game will not 'work'...

You buy and update, he gets present. Some Wii-U owners had to do this also.

p3tran

Banned

if you are doing this for your father, then i think you can justify the effort needed to unpack the console, do the offline patch that it needs anyway, and also do the forza download while you are at it,
so you can give it to him ready to race.

Raide

It's a shitty present if it needs to be unpacked and tampered before gifting...

Nah. Its a present that requires some kind of thought into before you purchase and gift it. I usually update and sort out electronic presents that I buy friends and family.

Seriously you people act like their charging you for it or something, your almost guaranteed that all launch games for next gen will have dayweek 1 patches.

Lol some people just don't read the OP or other comments. Its not a patch, its not DLC, its content that makes the game playable, its essential files.

jet1911

Because I have shitty internet, I should skip the Xbone. Got it.

Because I have shitty internet, I won't be allowed to play the latest iteration of my favorite racing series ever. One that I played with my nephews day in and day out. One that I spent countless hours on creating liveries and tuning my cars to meet my hyperspecific needs. Got it.

That's a great way to treat your fanbase.

Maybe not but it's the way MS want to do things on X1. Not happy? Vote with your wallet.

The problem was fivefold:

1. Microsoft never communicated the value of having to check in every day
2. The online check was way too restrictive at 24 hours
3. Microsoft tried FORCED change instead of letting it happen organically (like it is industry-wide, as you point out)
4. Most importantly for me, they took away my ability to easily sell/trade/rent games
5. No workarounds or options for edge cases where people can't be online (military being the biggest example)

I think people would have been fine had Microsoft initially given people options, including staying offline and keeping things status quo. No one likes to be told what to do or forced down a path.

Mael

Nah. Its a present that requires some kind of thought into before you purchase and gift it. I usually update and sort out electronic presents that I buy friends and family.

Yeah no.
If it's an ipad or an eReader I'll load it with plenty of stuffs to make it worthwhile.
For a game system? Fuck that! as a console it needs to be plug&play.
If I want to offer something with a lengthy install process I gift a computer.

vg260

m0dus is right, if you don't have reliable broadband internet, the X1 is not the console for you, period.

Yup. It's obviously intended to be an online device. That's their call, and up to consumers if it's for them or not. I think the sooner people accept this, the less contentious it will be here. Every gaming device doesn't have to be built around offline use. It's unfortunate if that's a deal breaker for you, but that just seems to be the reality of it.

Top Bottom