• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

p3tran

Banned
So basically in the future DRM will be masked/stealth in as free DLC then?

its a day 1 launch game.
I would conclude that "future drm is free dlc" if that was to happen to every game, and not
one that sits up at the top of metacritic racing games, and just tries to put out the most content it can for day 1.

so, we will see. but judging from this interview, right now I'd say this is not the case.

fratstar

Banned
The problem isn't in the practicality.
The problem is that shipping an unfinished game is quite cheeky, considering that's what you pay for. Potential problems might arise. Delays are not unheard of, so what happens if the day 1 "patch" isn't ready on time?
The assumption is you buy something, it works. There should be no extra step involved. This is unheard of (well apart from the console itself).

And quite frankly, the whole thing reeks of online activation. How much content are they going to be able to seriously work on within a couple of weeks?

I believe it's a lot more than 'a couple of weeks'. In any case, this is clearly not the case of online activation. Of course it sucks if you don't have a decent internet connection. It's not an ideal experience for the first game that I imagine most people will pop into the One. But linking this to MS's DRM policy is really insincere.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Not sure if Forza 5 is going to be such a classic that people will be wanting to play it instead of Forza 15.

It's the principle of the matter. I don't want my games to suddenly lose all of their resale value. And Forza 5 probably won't be the only game that does this.

Vestal

Gold Member
when the DLC is required to play?

How is that Digital Rights Management??? Is it limiting your ability to lend your game to a friend?? Is it limiting your ability to resale the game??

In that same light I could argue that x peripheral is DRM because I need it to play y game.

LCfiner

The way they're handling this seems really gross and unfriendly to consumers.

I understand if they're in a rush and need to supply some extra content via DLC. But the disc you buy at the store should work without having to connect to the net and download this patch.

As it is they're tying DLC game content to the ability to play the game at all. Fucking awful. Split that shit up better so someone can play the disc after paying their money and if they don't care about missing out on some cars and tracks, so be it. At least they didn't go to the store and spend 60 bucks on a coaster.

lifa-cobex

I'm totally baffled by people defending MS about this.
OK it might be nothing. It might well be a timing thing or and issue that is indeed a patch in some form.

However all I'm reading here is you have to download the rest of the game as it's not included on this disc.
This is not a patch. A patch is designed to fix something or add to your current purchased on your disc/download.

So what's the deal with this? Will it make the game run faster or improve the look/ sound of the game?
Well nothing like that has been stated, so what is the benefit of downloading a portion of the game to us as the consumer?
From what I can tell.....nothing
There is no logical step for this that will improve anything to people who are buying the game.

"You only need to download it. What's the big deal?. You already have to download a patch when you initially buy a X1"
Yea the reason you have to download a patch when you first switch on your X1 is to rectify a problem that MS no longer wants because you the customer stated you didn't want DRM.

The console isn't even out the door yet and look at the history so far. Can you really blame people for jumping the gun and assuming this is dodgy?
The interviews and press statements after E3 were a total joke, I couldn't believe my ears. Even the most tame questions were throwing them off balance.

If People really think that its all gonna be fine and are still going to buy an X1 out the door? Good luck to you. I honestly mean it. It's a lot of cash were forking over for these systems so it is a bit of an investment.
However the X1 isnt out the door yet and look what's going on so far. What do you think it's going to be like half way down it's life cycle? It's a long time for MS to introduce some new and interesting policies.

Chobel

*SIGH*

Someone please tell me how in the world this is DRM.. Since when is patching a game or downloading DLC considered DRM???

Even though I don't think it's a DRM but i'll play the devil's advocate here: usually games can be played without a DLC or a patch. In Forza 5 you're required to login and download some content to play the game, No connection --> No login nor download --> No play --> Some form of DRM.

Facism

How is that Digital Rights Management??? Is it limiting your ability to lend your game to a friend?? Is it limiting your ability to resale the game??

In that same light I could argue that x peripheral is DRM because I need it to play y game.

limiting your ability to play the game with an online check/activation/download.. that's what this is, content tied to it or not.

commedieu

Banned
can you play offline without the patch?

if not, this is them sneaking in drm. if the disc is tied. to your account. it's not drm if you can always trigger the " patch" whenever you pop the disc into a fresh xbone.

anyone know these details?

lifa-cobex

Yea. My internet has gone down so I might go out and get Forza...oh wait!

Raist

Banned
I believe it's a lot more than 'a couple of weeks'. In any case, this is clearly not the case of online activation. Of course it sucks if you don't have a decent internet connection. It's not an ideal experience for the first game that I imagine most people will pop into the One. But linking this to MS's DRM policy is really insincere.

Games usually go gold a month or so before release. That "extra content" will have to be checked, validated, made available on the servers etc. This isn't a one day long process. It's not like they'll be able to work on it till day -1. In any case, even 4 extra weeks isn't going to allow them to output a lot of content, for a game which has been in development for over 2 years, that's peanuts. I don't see how the game wouldn't work without that bit of extra stuff. They designed it this way.

Lucifon

Seriously gaf? You guys whine a lot and this is too much, its only for a one time sign in and download of a mere few GB patch. I'm sure you guys can wait 15 mins to download and play the game.

Agreed, amount of facepalm in this thread is unreal. Not to mention the number of people making sweeping bold assumptions that every single game will suddenly adopt this model just because a launch title is doing it...

Vestal

Gold Member
I don't even....
Even though I don't think it's a DRM but i'll play the devil's advocate here: usually games can be played without a DLC or a patch. In Forza 5 you're required to login and download some content to play the game, No connection --> No login nor download --> No play --> Some form of DRM.

Its really not. It will probably be explained right on the box that you need an initial connection to download particular content. All of your Digital Rights remain exactly the same compared to other games.

How does it limit your ability to sell/lend the game?
When a game requires an on-line activation to work, it loses a lot of it's value. Not to mention when servers are shutdown the disk essentially becomes useless. You see, you can sell your copy of Auto Assault, but chances are there are not many people interested.

I don't even....
Understand that you eventually may not be able to lend it at all?

Chobel

The word you're looking for is "LOG IN"

commedieu

Banned
I don't even....

Its really not. It will probably be explained right on the box that you need an initial connection to download particular content. All of your Digital Rights remain exactly the same compared to other games.

did turn ten say your rights would be identical to other games?

did Microsoft try to force drm on gamers?

you have to have an account, to login and authorize the download.

is Microsoft interested in drm?

lifa-cobex

Agreed, amount of facepalm in this thread is unreal. Not to mention the number of people making sweeping bold assumptions that every single game will suddenly adopt this model just because a launch title is doing it...

Yeah it''s only a one time download....
Since when is it mandatory to have the internet to play a game offline.
I have never purchased anything (let alone a console) where I must have the internet to use it.
It's not the point that its a one time thing. Its the fact that something stinks about it.

Takuya

Banned
I don't even....

No, not particular content; you can't even play the game without an Internet connection.

patapuf

When a game requires an on-line activation to work, it loses a lot of it's value. Not to mention when servers are shutdown the disk essentially becomes useless. You see, you can sell your copy of Auto Assault, but chances are there are not many people interested.

So they're shipping a broken game that required online authentication via content download. thanks for clearing it up.

Where does it say the game needs online activation to patch?

Yeah it''s only a one time download....
Since when is it mandatory to have the internet to play a game offline.
I have never purchased anything (let alone a console) where I must have the internet to use it.
It's not the point that its a one time thing. Its the fact that something stinks about it.

Do you not believe their justification for it then? You think it's something much more sinister and foreboding?

What if Turn 10 are being truthful and this is a necessary inconvenience for them to hit launch? Perhaps the Xbox One was scheduled for a later release but Sony forced MS's hand to release in a closer window.

Vestal

Gold Member

Everyone here is making this HUGE FREAKING leap from requiring a patch on day one to OMGZ DRM DRM DRM..

So you are claiming that this Patch will basically render your game disc useless because it will some way tie it to you, thus not allowing you to resell it? After all the shit that has happened in the past 2 months, MS coming out and saying that they changed the policies and you will be able to lend/sell retail copies as you do today, people here truly believe that is just a farce?

patapuf

when they say you need the patch, that you can only get online.

with an authorized console.

They say you need to log into your xboxlive account.

Which you have, because you can't use the console without one. Unless you think that you won't be able to freely to trade/sell the game. Meaning MS would patch in the DRM to forza they just patched out with the system day 1 patch.

ShapeGSX

when the DLC is required to play?

But how does this tie the game disc to your account or console? Unless there is a download code, it doesn't. You can give the disc to anyone and they can install it and download the full game and play it so long as they have the disc.

So what is your solution?

MS should just delay one of their standout launch titles? There's a lot of fear and worry in this thread, but little discussion as to what the alternative would be or why they may see this as a necessary inconvenience.

Vestal

Gold Member
oh well here comes the belittlement and inabilty to parse commentary due to confirmation bias. GG discussion.

Well you are actually trying to imply Online Authentication through the requirement of a 1 time patch download.. I can make the same leap as you.

Hanmik

the only "bad" thing here IMO (apart from the LOL-worthy qoutes from Dan in the article) is that this can lead to a new problem (I´m not saying it does, but it could)..

This is how it seems to be working right now with Forza 5.
- They finish as much as possible within the time frame given to them, and put that on the disc.
- The rest will come as a Free day one DLC/Patch.
- So you just sign in to Live and download the portion missing while you play the game.

no problems there (unless you want to be completely offline 24/7 with your Xbox One, in which case this is the wrong console for you).
the problem I see is that they might not be able to finish the rest of the game in time for the launch of the game. So you might have to download more stuff later on. If they can´t finish the game for the disc launch, then they might not be able to finish it for the launch either.

If this stuff becomes the norm for games, then lord have mercy on us... the time some of the game companies take to put out a Patch and DLC is laughable at times..

SeanR1221

Seems like a non issue to me.

the only "bad" thing here IMO (apart from the LOL-worthy qoutes from Dan in the article) is that this can lead to a new problem (I´m not saying it does, but it could)..

- They finish as much as possible within the time frame given to them, and put that on the disc.
- So you just sign in to Live and download the portion missing while you play the game.

no problems there (unless you want to be completely offline 24/7 with your Xbox One, in which case this is the wrong console for you).
the problem I see is that they might not be able to finish the rest of the game in time for the launch of the game. So you might have to download more stuff later on. If they can´t finish the game for the disc launch, then they might not be able to finish it for the launch either.

If this stuff becomes the norm for games, then lord have mercy on us... the time some of the game companies take to put out a Patch and DLC is laughable at times..

Oh with increasing development times and a bigger crunch to complete projects I fully expect this to be the norm like how patches are normal now. There will probably be tons of posts saying "well then I'm done gaming! Humpf!!" And those people will probably not give a shit and just bitch about it on forums :/

Well you are actually trying to imply Online Authentication through the requirement of a 1 time patch download.. I can make the same leap as you.
Dude, you have to "log in" to create your driveatar and to be able to play and download the patch.
I wouldn't be discussing this if I didn't care for the game, and most importantly fear that this may be a precedent to be come the norm.

commedieu

Banned
Everyone here is making this HUGE FREAKING leap from requiring a patch on day one to OMGZ DRM DRM DRM..

So you are claiming that this Patch will basically render your game disc useless because it will some way tie it to you, thus not allowing you to resell it? After all the shit that has happened in the past 2 months, MS coming out and saying that they changed the policies and you will be able to lend/sell retail copies as you do today, people here truly believe that is just a farce?

did turn ten state your rights were identical to other games?

Vestal

Gold Member

I'm willing to believe this is a 1 time thing. Considering this is tied to a Console Launch. If it were just a regular game release, I would expect them to push back the release date.

ramparter

Banned
Would be fine if the copies printed later come with all the content but it's only logical people will suspect this is just a way to make you connect online.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yea. My internet has gone down so I might go out and get Forza...oh wait!

Come on. In this situation the console itself is exactly the same. Once you download this DLC then you can play offline forever. It'd be full DRM if you had to be online every single time you play, not just the first time.

REV 09

How does the thread where Sony shuts down servers for an entire developer barely get noticed?

MS releases a patch due to their 180 decision and the forum's up in arms. Forza was developed expecting to be always online like the XB1. Seems to me that it just needs a day one patch as well.

Vestal

Gold Member
Dude, you have to "log in" to create your driveatar and to be able to play and download the patch.

What exactly are you authenticating though? Does logging in some how tie a Game disc to your account?

My issue with this whole conversation is the leap people are making from Patch to OMGZ DRM, Microsoft trying to sneak one through etc etc.

Hanmik

I'm willing to believe this is a 1 time thing. Considering this is tied to a Console Launch. If it were just a regular game release, I would expect them to push back the release date.

yeah probably.. unless other companies think "Turn 10 can do it, so can we".. I just hope this is a one time issue, and it will not be used ever again.

supersaw

After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time,” he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food. The Drivatars are as fresh as they are. It’s not like they’re going to degrade, but when you’re looking for new stuff – fresh stuff…it’s going to keep evolving. That’s the nature of this Drivatar system.”

Why do they insist on saying dumb shit like that?

Top Bottom