• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Biker19

Banned
A lot of people who buy physical is not just a preference, it's because their internet connection is not up to digital downloads, be it from connection speed or data caps.

Not everyone buys physical copies just because of digital or that they have poor speed, etc. I buy physical copies of games because I'm guaranteed to play the games that I bought years down the road for nostalgia.

The only time I buy a game that's digital is if they're digitally exclusive (like some indie games, & other games like Mega Man 9 & 10, Dust: An Elysian Tail, etc., as well as other games from PSN/XBLA).

People can't send you Steam games in a care package. One of the biggest advantages consoles have always had over PC since Atari 2600 was "plug and play". Why get a console if it's as BS to deal with as a PC when a PC is cheaper for gaming. (Do the math, a $1200 PC with free online and $40 games is way cheaper overall than a $400-$500 console with $5 per month online and $60 games)

They could play on laptops. Some of them may, who knows? Like I said, hopefully MS doesn't make this a recurring thing for the military gamers out there, but that population probably won't affect sales very much. 1,388,028 are currently deployed. That's .04% of the US population. You can see why (financially) MS would overlook this population, though negative word of mouth could hurt them for sure.

Not everyone buys physical copies just because of poor speed, etc. I buy physical copies of games because I'm guaranteed to play the games that I bought years down the road for nostalgia.

The only time I buy a game that's digital is if they're digitally exclusive (like some indie games, & other games like Mega Man 9 & 10, Dust: An Elysian Tail, etc., as well as other games from PSN/XBLA).

Ok... yeah...I am the same way too. But what I was answering to that user was about how it is faulty logic that just because one has some form of internet access, that downloading gigs of data is not a problem.

Not everyone buys physical copies just because of digital or that they have poor speed, etc. I buy physical copies of games because I'm guaranteed to play the games that I bought years down the road for nostalgia.

That's changing, though. Online elements are being added to nearly all games, and developers are doing this on purpose (Ubisoft seems to be a big culprit of this, but Bungie is no better, really). MS pushed it along before it happened naturally, though, and I do think they were wrong for that.

You were forced to download those updates in order to play it offline?

Considering the load times and UI made the game unplayable for me at launch and now seems night and day different, not to mention all the offline tweaks made via updates like tire wear, AI, mechanical damage, among many other things, I would say yes. It is a required update. And not a big deal. This isn't a big deal either.

Somnia

I honestly think we won't see this again after launch and it might just be this one single title as this is a rush for launch issue imo, we don't know yet. Now for some online only games (destiny, titanfall, mmo's, etc.) it's a different story, but I think this will almost be a one off and people are freaking out for no reason. No one is forcing you to buy this game, wait for the "GOTY or Special Edition" or just reprint that comes out after with everything on the disc... yes that's not guaranteed to happen, but I'd peg it as almost a guarantee.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Really, I don't think day1 dlc warrants an exhaustive discussion that culminates in the inevitable tinfoil hat theorizing and conspiracy. What's funny is, this strategy does give the devs the benefit of more time, so I'm willing to take a wait and see approach. Besides, it's not like they aren't going to release a 'special edition' with all the dlc 3-6 months later ;)

Regardless, I think if your Internet is an issue, you shouldn't have to bend over backwards to accommodate Microsoft. I'd invest in a PS4 or Wiiu.

Basically this. I'd be surprised if a month down the road MS didn't just add that content to new runs of the standard Forza 5 discs. I'd think it'd just be launch discs that need the update.

I may be wrong but usually the poeple who purchase physical do that because :

1. They don't want to download the game, they want to play directly from the disk
  2. They keep collection of the games purchased
In the first case there's no point at all to pay for the disk.
The second case we may argue, but I think that it's better for them to just for the disk with the complete content (it will happen eventually)

I buy most of my games physical for one reason: price. Physical is usually cheaper.

BigDug13

I still wonder how this game will actually play. Since it's obvious they're not even done with getting the game functional on the disc, I wonder how much of that demo build will differ from the finished product. Do we have another Aliens Colonial Marines on our hands where a hand-built demo completely misrepresents an upcoming product?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I still wonder how this game will actually play. Since it's obvious they're not even done with getting the game functional on the disc, I wonder how much of that demo build will differ from the finished product. Do we have another Aliens Colonial Marines on our hands where a hand-built demo completely misrepresents an upcoming product?
completely reasonable jump

the fact that you are posting here means the patch would not affect you.

this "outrage" is ridiculous

dude, I can post on forums from my phone over 3G, doesn't mean I would want to tether and download multiple gigs on it.

When I lived away from home for a few years I had the worst of the worst internet, it was always slow and only just about worked with youtube, I had stupid small daily caps because I was in a shared 10 story student building and had to pay an arm and a leg for it, back then my 360 was offline for a good 6 months until I worked out a way to get it online through my pc and downloading one single forza 2 track took all my internet up for the day plus more, and took multiple hours to do so.

So saying that posting here means the patch would not effect you is bullshit.

Biker19

Banned
That's changing, though. Online elements are being added to nearly all games, and developers are doing this on purpose (Ubisoft seems to be a big culprit of this, but Bungie is no better, really). MS pushed it along before it happened naturally, though, and I do think they were wrong for that.

And that's one of the reasons why I liked gaming before Microsoft came along & would love for Microsoft to get out of the gaming industry & to be replaced with another competitor. Heck, I would rather have Sega back in the hardware business, & both the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Dreamcast were good systems.

Microsoft's the devil of the gaming industry & have done nothing good for gamers. Pushing people to pay for online multiplayer, getting them to accept DRM, etc. It's ridiculous.

rapid32.5

Yep, MS is not ready to launch this clusterfucked system this year. just too many problems, unfinished games, hardware and online limited regions. it seems more rushed than 360 launch.

Teletraan1

Banned
Sorry, I fail to see how this is even worth getting worked up over. Fairly certain they are doing this to maximize content, you will be able to play while downloading. In a sense it's not so different then buying a steam key or sitting through a mandatory install. Really, at some point, people are looking to complain about anything, and it's getting tiresome.

Ms has made it fairly clear from the start that XB1 is a connected console. It's the only aspect of their message that hasn't been a murky, convoluted mess. If your Internet is so shitty or inconsistent, in all seriousness, you should stay away. You will not have a good experience.

It is a bad president that a lot of people don't want to continue. Day 1 patches were bad enough. Buying a coaster unless you download a day 1 DLC is a whole new ballgame. I doubt it will continue but with the way MS has handled the reveal of this console I can see where the apprehension comes from. Personally as someone with fast internet this aspect doesn't bother me. I could see how others with smaller download caps who buy physical media so they don't have to download the games might have an issue with it.

There is also the issue of being able to play this game in some form in 20 years if you only have the disc you purchased and none of this downloaded data. False equivalencies aside with people suggesting the same fate for Destiny I wouldn't be attempting to play any online game or use any online feature in 20 years but the single player experience should be intact. I play 20 year old single player games all the time. When something like this comes along and endangers that I take issue with it.

I find it laughable that the usual suspects in this thread are suggesting that a complete version of the game might come out at a later date that you can purchase again. So people are honestly suggesting with a strait face to buy 2 copies of this game just so you can get the complete product you paid for without being at the mercy of someone flicking a switch to make it worthless. That is gross and very indicative of the way this industry has conditioned people. I remember buying a product and getting it home and using it until I grew tired of it and put it away to be played at a later date, or I knew didn't want it anymore and sold it. There was no 3rd party dictating those terms to me.

Woggerman

Banned
Really, who cares about this? Have we all really disconnected our devices from the internet? Give me a break. It's no different than a patch and a little bit of DLC. And the DLC is free. If you don't have a connection to the internet for this game, you're going to miss out on most of the functionality anyway. Also you won't be playing upcoming games like Titanfall, Destiny or The Division. Have PS+ for all of those free games? Guess you won't be D/Ling those.
Is it a hassle? Only slightly, but no more than the patches I have to D/L almost every time I boot up my PS3 or 360.

I think that is exaggeration to be honest.

Let's not get alarmist. Also the people thinking already this will be some sort of pattern outside launch time. We should wait and see.

I do think the game may have some lingering bugs or some optimizations that don't get addressed in time for launch, but to compare to Aliens CM is just absolute hyperbole.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I find it laughable that the usual suspects in this thread are suggesting that a complete version of the game might come out at a later date that you can purchase again. So people are honestly suggesting with a strait face to buy 2 copies of this game just so you can get the complete product you paid for without being at the mercy of someone flicking a switch to make it worthless. That is gross and very indicative of the way this industry has conditioned people. I remember buying a product and getting it home and using it until I grew tired of it and put it away to be played at a later date, or I knew didn't want it anymore and sold it. There was no 3rd party dictating those terms to me.

This isn't what people are saying... They are noting for people who cannot download this day 1 they'll probably be able to wait a month or two and buy the game then and second run copies will have the "DLC" built in. This seems like just a launch timeframe issue.

And that's one of the reasons why I liked gaming before Microsoft came along & would love for Microsoft to get out of the gaming industry & to be replaced with another competitor. Heck, I would rather have Sega back in the hardware business, & both the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Dreamcast were good systems.

Microsoft's the devil of the gaming industry & have done nothing good for gamers. Pushing people to pay for online multiplayer, getting them to accept DRM, etc. It's ridiculous.

Sega would have chosen the same route as MS if they existed in the same form today, or did you not see their Dreamcast online push? If you want to blame anyone, blame Apple. Their success with Itunes got this whole thing started.

Vestal

Gold Member

They've done nothing good for gamers. Pushing people to pay for online, accept DRM, etc. It's ridiculous.
yup if you narrow your view to what they have done that you think is wrong.

At the same time ignoring all of the innovations they have brought to gaming. They have pretty much forced their competition to improve their extremely crappy online infrastructure, provided various features first that have now been adopted industry wide. But hey its M$

yup if you narrow your view to what they have done that you think is wrong.

At the same time ignoring all of the innovations they have brought to gaming. They have pretty much forced their competition to improve their extremely crappy online infrastructure, provided various features first that have now been adopted industry wide. But hey its M$

Let's not forget that games still cost as much as they did when the NES was popular... that's a LONG time ago. This price would not be the same with more competitors in the market.

dose

I decided to pop in GT5 two days ago for the first time since... almost launch and I had 13 fucking updates to download just to play the game. At least 1GB worth. Then a required 2GB install before I could even play. Was this a big deal? No. Will this Forza 5 download be a big deal? No.
Could you have just cancelled the updates and played the game normally?
Yes.
Could you do the same with Forza 5?
No.
Your argument fails, try again.

Demon Ice

Banned
Who is buying 500 buck consoles and has no access to the internet?

My PS3 is hooked up to the 65" LED TV we have in our living room, it's nowhere near a router or wired access point. It works fine because the PS3 has built in wifi.

Guess what happens when I plug my 360 into that TV? I have to play offline. And it works.

Is it really hard to imagine someone in my situation but without a decent wifi connection? Setting up wifi is a mystery to people.

Don't make bullshit assumptions.

Biker19

Banned
Sega would have chosen the same route as MS if they existed in the same form today, or did you not see their Dreamcast online push? If you want to blame anyone, blame Apple. Their success with Itunes got this whole thing started.

Well, it's a good thing that I never buy Apple products, I guess.

Somnia

My PS3 is hooked up to the 65" LED TV we have in our living room, it's nowhere near a router or wired access point. It works fine because the PS3 has built in wifi.

Guess what happens when I plug my 360 into that TV? I have to play offline. And it works.

Is it really hard to imagine someone in my situation but without a decent wifi connection? Setting up wifi is a mystery to people.

Wait so your PS3 is hooked up to your big TV in the living room... and thats ok cause it has built in wifi, meaning you have your ps3 hooked up to the wifi?

Xbox One has built in wifi.

Get a long cable?

Fistwell

Article says it should be playable out of box, while content is downloading. Majority of posters have missed this detail? Not sure how much outrage I should express.
Care to back that up with a quote? Here are a few quotes stating the opposite,

IGN said:
will require a one-time connection to Xbox Live before you can play

Greenawalt said:
when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in

Concerning the content to be downloaded,
Greenawalt said:
that is required content to play the game

IGN said:
requiring part of the game as a download on launch day

IGN said:
what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it

are you surprised. Its a Microsoft associated thread were not reading the entire article or simply ignoring parts of it becomes a requirement.
Funny you'd say that...

Teletraan1

Banned
This isn't what people are saying... They are noting for people who cannot download this day 1 they'll probably be able to wait a month or two and buy the game then and second run copies will have the "DLC" built in. This seems like just a launch timeframe issue.

Is this a common practice? Outside of GOTY editions or if some form of litigation might be present ala "Hot Coffee" is this a common practice for second runs to incorporate vastly different data on the disc. I just don't see MS incurring any sort of financial loss or putting any sort of effort to do this unless they were facing a sales upswing that a GOTY would bring or if they were going to be sued over something on the disc. Seems like a bunch of hopes and dreams bs if you ask me but I would be interested in how often this happens.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Care to back that up with a quote? Here are a few quotes stating the opposite,

i think you are right.

dan does say in the article though that once logged in, you can then play the game as the remaining content is downloaded, which is where the confusion comes from.

But it was obvious why they had the check in. When you have all of your games (Retail or digital) tied to your online account, in order to support trade ins, lending, etc (Something no digital service currently offers) you have to have a way to check if the game is still tied to that account otherwise people would be able to take advantage of that time lapse and could potentially keep a game after trading it in.

Most people just couldn't understand that and freaked out. Just like an iPad is useless without internet (Whether internet on the device itself or the computer that you connect it to) the XB1 was the same.

I think most people understood that, but it should have been an opt in choice on a game-by-game basis, instead of a mandatory policy. If you opt in, you are choosing to have the perks and restrictions of their proposed system. If not, you are free to treat discs like we treat them today.

It's a win win for consumers AND for Microsoft as they could continue to incentivize people to opt in without pissing off people who can't opt in.

Top Bottom