• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Mik_Pad

Banned
I guess that rumor about MS being 6 months in development were true... That's a shame for the X1 buyers that will be affected by this type of practices.

iMax

So many people not bothering to read the OP,

You have to connect the internet and download content in order to PLAY THE GAME.

This has never been done before on consoles for an offline title to my knowledge.

Aliens: Colonial Marines? Didn't help much though.

Wereroku

When do you guys think Microsoft will be locking down development for launch titles? September-ish?

Yeah. 2 months for cert, disc pressing, and shipping is probably a conservative guess. Who knows though since it is a new system and Microsoft is having to change some of their policies.

Mononoke

Banned
But yes, let's put our complete trust in these companies to handle the next gen. I'm sure upset MS weren't given the chance to run their always online policy.

All of which can be skipped if you just want to play the game offline. You have to admit that this is a new and different situation.
It would create pause if not for the fact that the system itself needs a day 1 patch. If you bought the system knowing that, then you're not gonna have a problem with Forza 5 either.

A one time connection isn't going to be an issue for anyone buying a $500 next-gen system at launch.
I guess that rumor about MS being 6 months in development were true... That's a shame for the X1 buyers that will be affected by this type of practices.
Save your pity for the games that can't even hit 30FPS properly.

Garjon

If you don't have an internet connection, you're not going to buy a xbox one. It needs a day 1 patch.

Oh wait this was the only deal? I always assumed the update data could be included with retail copies of disks, like this gen. Well, that makes my point a little bit moot. It's still a bit dumb though as you can buy an XB1 and update it and then lose your broadband service before you buy the game, 6 months down the line or whatever.

The forced online should never have been there in the first place though.

Paches

Online still required I see. You have to sign in to set up your Xbone and then you have to have internet to download the fucking game.

Says the guy with "PS4" as his username and avatar pic.

Me explaining on Twitter WHY I feel like Microsoft is doing something is not the same as defending it. I don't suppose you understand that?

I thought the exact same thing. Just wasn't going to post that. Now that someone else did, I can revel in the irony.

Carl

Wow, threads like this one really show how many people actually read the OP. Seriously, how many people posted without seeing the "It's required to play the game" line?

I have no problem with them adding content to their game between submission and release, and making it available for free on day 1. In fact, I think that's great, and it should happen more often. But making the game absolutely unplayable without that content? That's just amazingly stupid and annoying.

FINALBOSS

Banned
It would create pause if not for the fact that the system itself needs a day 1 patch. If you bought the system knowing that, then you're not gonna have a problem with Forza 5 either.

A one time connection isn't going to be an issue for anyone buying a $500 next-gen system at launch..

Well we already know people without the internet aren't gonna buy the system.

And for the people who do have the internet I'm sure their bandwith caps will love downloading half of a game on launch day.

The first thing people wanna do when they get home with a new game is to wait hours for half of an entire game to download.

Wow, threads like this one really show how many people actually read the OP. Seriously, how many people posted without seeing the "It's required to play the game" line?

I have no problem with them adding content to their game between submission and release, and making it available for free on day 1. In fact, I think that's great, and it should happen more often. But making the game absolutely unplayable without that content? That's just amazingly stupid and annoying.

A ton.

Just pretty much a group of Xbone fans and PS4 fans jumping in to talk shit without reading a thing.

abadguy

Banned
I predict < 1 year before MS stops production of the Xbone and liquidizes their gaming assets.

Three months tops. Then Nintendo after them. Sony should have gaming all to themselves for the next 3 or so years before Samsung reveals their new console.

"Not always online but requires an internet connection."

The X1 also requires a connection to download the "day 1 patch" to get rid of the nasty DRM shit. So assuming you're buying an X1 you'd be downloading a patch to play it anyway, which makes bitching about this seem even more pointless to me.

With all these system/game patches day one. Microsoft better butter me up and offer me 3-6 months xbox live, a headset, and a steak dinner. They're lucky they have integrated fantasy sports or I would wait till halo to purchase it.

Mik_Pad

Banned

A one time connection isn't going to be an issue for anyone buying a $500 next-gen system at launch.

Save your pity for the games that can't even hit 30FPS properly.
Ehh... What are you talking about?

I actually like this, most developers would just ship a game with on disc dlc or dlc close after launch and charge for it, this way we get all the extra content of them working until launch for free.

Well we already know people without the internet aren't gonna buy the system.

And for the people who do have the internet I'm sure their bandwith caps will love downloading half of a game on launch day.

The first thing people wanna do when they get home with a new game is to wait hours for half of an entire game to download.

Just pretty much a group of Xbone fans and PS4 fans jumping in to talk shit without reading a thing.

They stated that you will be able to download and play at the same time.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I actually like this, most developers would just ship a game with on dis dlc or dlc close after launch and charge for it, this way we get all the extra content of them working until launch for free.

Most, (actually all) other developers would ship their game in a functioning state.

CLEEK

Before I read the actual article, I thought that this sounded similar to GT5. A game that shipped with problems, and overtime, was transformed by a series of patches and free content updates.

But actually reading what Turn10 are doing, and it's fucked up. With GT5 (or any other game with day-one patches), the updates were optional. You'd want to apply them, but could always play the game in its launch state offline forever if you wanted.

With Forza 5, it sounds like this isn't an option. You need the DLC for the retail game to even function. This is bullshit of the highest order.

that is required content to play the game.

So not only are the releasing an unfinished game, it's so unfinished, the boxed retail game doesn't even work.

Bog

Junior Ace
This is some scummy stuff. As someone said earlier in the thread, it means there will come a day when this disc is no longer functional. As a collector, that was my main complaint with Xbox One in the first place, so even after their 180, the same issues are there.

Arklite

This gen we wrestled mandatory install times, next gen we battle mandatory install and download times. Just get a PC, guys. Practically there, but without the benefits.

Wereroku

I agree with you on that. The issue is that we don't know how big either of these updates are going to be. The Forza update could be several gigs worth of data and that would take my crappy internet several days to download.

So not only are the releasing an unfinished game, it's so unfinished, the boxed retail game doesn't even work.
Basically yes. "DLC" my ass.

Sometimes that happens on day 1 patches.
I don't remember not being able to play unpatched games before I downloaded said patch.

And don't give me the "game breaking bugs" bullshit, in that case the game shouldn't have been fucking shipped like that.

sneaky77

Sometimes that happens on day 1 patches.

Like it has been mentioned before this is different.

You cannot play the game period without the download. Not even offline.

I am not sure why anyone is defending this practice but that's just me. Yes there is overreaction to everything Microsoft does to everything but this is not really a good precedent.

CLEEK

To me it seems pretty disingenuous to call this DLC.

It it the literal definition of DLC.

Free DLC, sure, but downloadable content none the less.

But you're right, maybe it should have a different name. So people know what it really means, and for when MS puts this into other games.

RDLC (required downloadable content). DLC just took its generational leap.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I personally would trade day one dlc for free content. Maybe this is the trade of that had to be made in this situation.

Read The OP

This is not DLC, this is content that is required to play the game in any fashion.

So many people not bothering to read the OP,

You have to connect the internet and download content in order to PLAY THE GAME.

This has never been done before on consoles for an offline title to my knowledge.

Calling it "DLC" seems more like marketing spin than anything

It it the literal definition of DLC.

Free DLC, sure, but downloadable content none the less.

But you're right, made it should have a different name for when MS puts this into other games. RDLC (required downloadable content). DLC just took its generational leap.
Looking at the definition I guess you're right, but this isn't what I usually associate with DLC.

Seanspeed

Banned
this is true for virtually every launch title ever.
Not necessarily. I'm sure plenty of developers *know* straight up that their game is meant for the launch window.

I get the impression that Forza 5 was not meant to be a Day 1 game, but they moved it forward in order to strengthen their lineup in the face of tough competition.

jaypah

Well, if your game has to be "finished" maybe 2 months before launch (certifing and going gold one month before release) you have two options: lay back and wait or add content and give it away for free at launch.

I'm okay with this.

Yeah. By the time I get a 180 I'm sure this will all be ironed out plus actual DLC but I like the idea of them not just twiddling their thumbs while the game goes through cert. Assuming this is all on the up and up. Never know these days...

Wereroku

This kind of confirms that Microsoft will still have patch file size limits though. I assume they are calling this DLC because it is to large to be included as a patch. Kind of like the Skullgirls update.

kinggroin

Banned
Curious how frustrating this can potentially be when day one servers get hammered.

Though to be fair, they have massively increased server count, and comparitively not many One consoles will be sold at launch.

sneaky77

This kind of confirms that Microsoft will still have patch file size limits though. I assume they are calling this DLC because it is to large to be included as a patch. Kind of like the Skullgirls update.

if this is downloading tracks, cars and AI this is going to be a rather sizeable download.

Boost

Banned
1352895667_image.gif

SPIN, SPIN, SPIN, SPIN, SPIN.... SPIN, SPIN, SPIN

I'm not falling for that shit. You can spin this all you want Greeneggsandham, but your game not being ready at launch is what I read in between your lies.

I am not sure why anyone is defending this practice

Because the people that are paid to make unpopular policies accepted by consumers have found their 'hook' for said unpopular policies.

"You can access the game you already paid for, no worries! Just hop online and help yourself to some shiny free content, and then play as you normally would have! By the way, if you don't help yourself to that shiny content you can't play the game, bud, sorry".

Also, I'll stop criticizing this decision from hence forth, but if the rest of MS' games have this policy later into the hardware cycle, then yeah, it's bogus and deserving of criticism.

Bgamer90

Banned
Is this really a big problem when the Xbox one itself requires a one time Internet connection?

It's definitely a sign though that the game was rushed.

ShapeGSX

I understand that there are some games these days that you can't even get without an internet connection!

Seems like Forza 5 just happens to be one of them if you buy it at launch.

pixlexic

Banned
Did you even read the OP? Lol

If you take that one sentence it would seem so.. but if you keep reading it seems more that it is only PART of the game and you can download the other as you play.

“[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything. And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).

So who is correct? Sadly if I am correct we will no one will ever care or bring up this topic again.

sneaky77

Is this really a big problem when the Xbox one itself requires a one time Internet connection?

It's definitely a sign though that the game was rushed.

Probably will only be an issue for the people that are not informed and they only overheard that Microsoft changed their policies but didn't get the day 1 connect memo.. so let's say they end up going to a friends house for that patch.. but now they cannot play Forza either without a large download.

Top Bottom