• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free to Play Halo Online (Saber, H3 eng) announced, only for Russia [First Info]

Kezen

Banned
Why not? We got Halo 1 and Halo 2 on PC.

And not any other. They would have announced it by now, besides I think there is a very strong divide between games that really are there to push the system (ergo not to be made available on PC) and lower tier games which can (Killer Instinct, Fable Legends or Ori).

The Master Chief Collection falls into the first category, it's not realistic to expect Microsoft to bring those games to PC, at best FP2 / indies exclusive to the Windows 10 store.

I'm not an Halo but I sure would support Microsoft if they brought such a release on PC.

Orayn

Ok this makes no sense at all. From any point of view.

1. Probably not a terribly expensive project
2. Russia is a pretty big PC F2P market
3. Uses an older existing engine to save time and keep costs and requirements low
4. Has a known IP to help it gain notoriety

It's disappointing but it makes perfect sense. If it does well in Russia I could see them rolling it out in other regions, similar to the general arc followed by Warface, Survarium, and World of Tanks.

I could see mcc coming to pc a month before 5 is out. They could make pc players buy Xbox ones or atleast have some interest in halo 5.

a916

3. Uses an older existing engine to save time and keep costs and requirements low

It's disappointing but it makes perfect sense. If it does well in Russia I could see them rolling it out in other regions, similar to the general arc followed by Warface, Survarium, and World of Tanks.

2nd point is massive.

Don't expect it to cross over here though... it will probably just be like Call of Duty Online.

This is probably the worst gaming related news I've seen in awhile.

Even if it makes it out of Russia, it's f2p.

Nobody asked for this. So disrespectful to their PC audience after ignoring them since Vista.
keep dreaming.

just buy an XB1.
Cinematic frame drops.

Computron

I read the russian press release:

На картах есть два так называемых powerfull-оружия на карте: гранатомет, например
pro pipe is seemingly back.

Оружие закупается на время, броня навсегда
weapons are rented, armour is bought for good.

У каждой части брони есть свои показатели: скорость передвижения на ботинках или скорость перезарядки на перчатках
every piece of armor has stats; boots have an agility stat, gloves have a reload speed stat.

What's with eastern F2P's and insisting on appending "Online" to the name? It's especially oddball when done to IPs with a precedent for being Online. Like... Counter Strike Online or Battlefield Online. Or for that matter, any game following the "Online game: Online" title format.

Titles like TESOnline or GTAOnline make sense, there were no online based TES games before that, and previous GTA multiplayer was tacked on. Halo's entire claim to fame was being online in the first place.

Time for me to patiently await Titanfall: Online and/or Mario Party: Offline.

10347804_10153220470514393_6192491065207230702_n.jpg

lol

dr_rus

Warface is closed down. WoT isn't really an online shooter. The F2P market is oversaturated and bringing in a new crappy (Saber Interactive lol) shooter on it under a Halo name which doesn't mean much in Russia won't do any wonders.

This is a really weird move on Microsoft's part and I can only assume that it is basically free for them - if not Innova paying them for the Halo brand license. Otherwise this is just mental.

Orayn

Monster Hunter China and now this! What is going on in these Companies' high positions?

They want to make money by strategically launching cash-in games in regions where they think they'll be the most popular.

Warface is closed down. WoT isn't really an online shooter. The F2P market is oversaturated and bringing in a new crappy (Saber Interactive lol) shooter on it under a Halo name which doesn't mean much in Russia won't do any wonders.

This is a really weird move on Microsoft's part and I can only assume that it is basically free for them - if not Innova paying them for the Halo brand license. Otherwise this is just mental.

I thought only the Xbox 360 version of Warface shut down?

So you Played it? Tell me more about the Quality of The Game, pls.

Once you get east of Ukraine and west of Japan there's a precedent for junk games that are F2P and have Online appended on the title. It's not a stretch to presume this to be below par. The "Online" in the name is a massive warning sign as well.

SURGEdude

And not any other. They would have announced it by now, besides I think there is a very strong divide between games that really are there to push the system (ergo not to be made available on PC) and lower tier games which can (Killer Instinct, Fable Legends or Ori).

The Master Chief Collection falls into the first category, it's not realistic to expect Microsoft to bring those games to PC, at best FP2 / indies exclusive to the Windows 10 store.

I'm not an Halo but I sure would support Microsoft if they brought such a release on PC.

I know where you are coming from, but I still think it is possible we might see a year late port of the collection and perhaps Halo 5 the following year. I mean after a year or so it isn't really moving HW anymore.

I for one am pretty excited for this. I've never owned an Xbox console (but have always been a PC gamer). I know there was Halo 2 for PC, but that was released what, a decade ago? I'm excited to get a shot at a new game in the series, even if it's f2p. I'm optimistic.

We're just putin' it out there.

I imagine this is how they get people to accept a F2P Halo and see how well it works. Launch in an isolated market which will increase demand everywhere else, then launch worldwide.

It's clear how well Halo will do as a F2P shooter. Halo 3 engine, all the maps, hitscan BR. Just need to work out what you can and can't sell in a country where people generally aren't thrilled about paying for games.

Will easily make more money than MCC would, despite the likelihood that would be a much better product.

edit: Yeah people would definitely be pissed off if you launched this worldwide with armour stats and rented weapons.

So there will be Tactical Packages (f2p powerups)

Translated the layout for ya folks
JtM84Ff.jpg

Aiming getting priority over grenades with the right mouse click. What a crime.

It was a joke. I own a X1. But seriously, MS doesn't give a damn about PC gamers.

They're going to be very interested in PC folk's attention to make money on their game store after giving away Windows 10. If that actually translates into games that are actually interesting for the PC audience is the real question.

Top Bottom