• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON: God abandons PS4 as The Great Flood wipes out Sony HQ [Up: Reveal in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it's going in the archives for sure.

v-valdes-vs-mourinho-uppbg.gif

LOL

I am continually amazed how many people have no clue how dedicated video compression/decompression silicon works yet have no hesitancy of making statements about it.

I'd love for them to open up their 1080p-capable cellphone, or better yet, a little GoPro video camera, and try to find the RAM chips.

I know how it works, but a smartphone or videocamera is not recording continually, only when you press the Record button.

In the case of the PS4 which is recording continually, saving to the harddrive probably will dramatically lower the life expentancy of the hard drive, so maybe they are storing the last 15 minutes recorded in the RAM, unless the video encoder has some built in storage memory that allows to keep 15 min of video in 1080p.

I know how it works, but a smartphone or videocamera is not recording continually, only when you press the Record button.

In the case of the PS4 which is recording continually, saving to the harddrive probably will dramatically lower the life expentancy of the hard drive, so maybe they are storing the last 15 minutes recorded in the RAM, unless the video encoder has some built in storage memory that allows to keep 15 min of video in 1080p.

Recording doesn't use up a lot of RAM. It simply captures the frame and audio, records it, then deletes it from the RAM as the next frame streams in. It is more CPU intensive, but that's why they have the separate SoC.

Video editing, especially high end software, is memory intensive. It has to keep a lot of video in RAM at once to have very fast response times for editing and such. Recording doesn't have this problem though.

Keeping it all in RAM isn't feasible. You'd be better off using high quality server-grade hard drives that are built to be doing constant recording than to waste precious RAM on such a small thing.

PCs have been doing this for years for realtime game recording and streaming. Insofar as the background constant recording is concerned, it's coming first to PC when Nvidia releases ShadowPlay.

Recording doesn't use up a lot of RAM. It simply captures the frame and audio, records it, then deletes it from the RAM as the next frame streams in. It is more CPU intensive, but that's why they have the separate SoC.

Video editing, especially high end software, is memory intensive. It has to keep a lot of video in RAM at once to have very fast response times for editing and such. Recording doesn't have this problem though.

I'm not talking about the recording process itself, I'm talking about storing the recorded content.

Billen

Banned
My 3 week old baby has been rather chaotic tonight. This thread and a cup of coffee is just what I need. Thank you for existing, GAF.

And congratulations on a well performed trolling attempt, Eurogamer. Try relaxing until you can release your news. :)

I'm not talking about the recording process itself, I'm talking about storing the recorded content.
Yeah I added to that. Keeping the 15 minutes in RAM would be bad. Consider this. Devs can determine whether or not players can record content. This is done to avoid certain things within the game for others online. But what if they decided to disable it so they could get that RAM back for their game to use?

Sony would be better off using high quality HDDs built to constantly record. Most businesses use cameras connected to DVRs that are constantly recording non-stop.

Mung

Just woken up to this..
Sounds like one of those threads that brought out the zealots! I'm presuming, as usual, that nothing actually happened.

LOL. I'm afraid you clearly don't.

No, they'll be writing it to the hard drive. My current DVR is constantly writing up to two streams at once of HD video and has been for about three years with no issue. The DVR my satellite company is going to upgrade me to will be capable of doing the same for 5 streams at once.

HDDs are a lot more durable than you are making them out to be.

Besides, even under your fantasy RAM-use scenario (which isnt going to happen,) why would 15 minutes of video require a whopping 2GB, when a 15 minute, compressed for YouTube .mp4 video is avg. less than 600MB at 1080p?

PS3 was dependant on the HDD for updates etc. Yet, the PS4 should be able to even download FW updates in the background and install it without us having to quit game. With that in mind, the consoles internals wont be fully known till a teardown. With that said, I still think there is Flash memory avalible for the 15Min recording and Firmware updates (like rumors suggested a year ago). Pure speculation otherwise, but that option working would negate a constant use of the HDD to record video.

Keeping it all in RAM isn't feasible. You'd be better off using high quality server-grade hard drives that are built to be doing constant recording than to waste precious RAM on such a small thing.

PS4 has dedicated hardware for video stuff. its a separate chip.

that would use the harddrive not ram o_o

Yeah I added to that. Keeping the 15 minutes in RAM would be bad. Consider this. Devs can determine whether or not players can record content. This is done to avoid certain things within the game for others online. But what if they decided to disable it so they could get that RAM back for their game to use?

Sony would be better off using high quality HDDs built to constantly record. Most businesses use cameras connected to DVRs that are constantly recording non-stop.

Yeah, I agree, but ideal would we having a separate RAM pool embedded in the encoder/decoder chip for storing the recorded content, and if the user decides to keep it then move it to the HDD.

As far as I know the console is always recording, the user doesn't have to toggle it on or off and the developers can't control it either, only thing the user can do is press the share button to automatically share the last bit recorded, or edit the last 15 minutes recorded to make a mountage.

Since we still don't fully know how the recording works there's no way for us to know.

that would use the harddrive not ram o_o

You don't know that, Sony hasn't said where it stores the always on recording content.

Kopite

Haha a lot of made themselves look very silly here. Get a grip folks, it's all just a game. Same goes for MS and Ninty haters.

Yeah, I agree, but ideal would we having a separate RAM pool embedded in the encoder/decoder chip for storing the recorded content, and if the user decides to keep it then move it to the HDD.

As far as I know the console is always recording, the user doesn't have to toggle it on or off and the developers can't control it either, only thing the user can do is press the share button to automatically share the last bit recorded, or edit the last 15 minutes recorded to make a mountage.

Since we still don't fully know how the recording works there's no way for us to know.

You don't know that, Sony hasn't said where it stores the always on recording content.
Sony has said developers control whether a part of a game will record or not. It's up to them. The idea is mainly avoid spoilers.

You're right that none of us know what it is doing to record. We're just using common sense. Common sense dictates that RAM won't be storing the video. It's a waste and HDDs are built to constantly record today if necessary. Sony would be stupid to use RAM,

Consider this as well, if it is using RAM to record, it cannot keep video stored during a crash or loss of power. Constant recording will be great for debugging. It can let the developer see first hand exactly what caused a game-breaking bug from first hand without any other extra hardware. That can't happen if it is stored in volatile memory like RAM.

scoobs

I'm conflicted. Do I love the fact that threads like this can exist cuz of the stupidity of the userbase that now resides here, or do i hate it? I think i love it. Ya, i love it.

Sony has said developers control whether a part of a game will record or not. It's up to them. The idea is mainly avoid spoilers.

You're right that none of us know what it is doing to record. We're just using common sense. Common sense dictates that RAM won't be storing the video. It's a waste and HDDs are built to constantly record today if necessary. Sony would be stupid to use RAM,

Consider this as well, if it is using RAM to record, it cannot keep video stored during a crash or loss of power. Constant recording will be great for debugging. It can let the developer see first hand exactly what caused a game-breaking bug from first hand without any other extra hardware. That can't happen if it is stored in volatile memory like RAM.

Didn't know developers could turn off recording for some parts of the game.

You are right, they are probably storing to the HDD, hope they would clarify though.

That wouldn't be ideal. That would be ridiculous.

This is not new tech. This is an established convention at this point. HDDs are designed for this purpose. It's what they do.

Somax

Seconding the request for a summary.
Wild speculation from a Tweet, ok. But what made it reach a gazillion pages in such a short time?

Madness

Seconding the request for a summary.
Wild speculation from a Tweet, ok. But what made it reach a gazillion pages in such a short time?

It's because you know how crazy a new console generation gets... People started predicting the worst, saying things like they'll cancel their pre orders and it turned out to be nothing lol.

FranXico

So did something actually happen or are we still waiting for something to happen? I'm a bit confused.

Nothing happened, nothing changed. EG Spain was behind on some PS4 technical details and knee jerked at something they didn't know.

The thread lives on thanks to XBox fanboys who wanted to see Sony fail.

Eusis

Is there a summary somewhere? Just woke up to this thread, I've read the OP, but what's in there doesn't seem to warrant the page number.

Welp, ok, it's all clear now.
People saw that there'd be "drama" and went crazy. Self fulfilling prophecy I suppose, what's most likely is just news breaking down the GDDR5 and how much impact it'll REALLY have. An analysis rather than huge breaking news.

1emons

Neo Member
What a ridiculous/wonderful thread this turned into. You could see the semen cloud created by PS4 doubters hovering over this thread from miles away.

Just to clarify: With the dedicated compression/decompression silicon of the PS4, this probably won't really require any of the PS4's 8GB of system RAM. Conventional design for this type of hardware usually sticks a small amount of very fast local store on the chip itself that takes care of the task. It's faster that way with this kind of streaming process anyway.

Wow....xbox fanboys actually waiting to criticize the ps4 and hoping it fails is hilarious considering what their choice of console is. Well it does explain a lot and ill keep this thread in mind for the future

Melchiah

I can't help but laugh at the people wishing for something as absurd as the memory downgrade. Talk about a fanboy's wet dream. Well, at least they once again offered some entertainment for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom