• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

Ricker

Got stuck on a Boss about halfway through I think,so I never could finish this...probably been asked a few times but will it see my save from then?...might get it if it does but I am not starting over thats for sure.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Here's my tip for Demon's Soul players: You can dual wield shields and use them to attack while blocking. Do it!

One of the best game on the system, maybe the best one.
Walking with the shield raised, looking for deadly enemies in the total black of a swamp,hearing all sort of creepy sounds, then around a high tower with no protection on the abyss on the side,fearing inch by inch to be killed, losing all of your souls,no game has me thrilled so much.

Enjoy the fear newcomers, trust your shield, trust your sword, do not give up, ever.

And Demon Soul>>>> Dark Soul.

A ps4 Demon Soul's that would really be a love letter from Sony to the hardcore gamers not another
killzone whatever.

imagine a demon souls game running on capcoms new engine.

oh my

Bladenic

I don't think this game is for me but I'll try it since it's free. Although I practically have a backlog of PS+ games waiting to be installed.

ok Sony, give us a Pure White Tendency event this week for the wave of greenhorns coming in. :)

I need to Platinum this damn game and all I have left is getting various chunks of stones to upgrade weapons. :/

RobertM

ok Sony, give us a Pure White Tendency event this week for the wave of greenhorns coming in. :)

I need to Platinum this damn game and all I have left is getting various chunks of stones to upgrade weapons. :/
Good luck getting Bladestone. I need 3 trophies: Bladestone, Marrowstone, and Moonlightstone.

kewlmyc

How is this game superior to Dark Souls again? I liked Dark Souls (never beat it though), but I keep hearing that this is superior.

Sullichin

More like Pure Black Tendency, please! Upgrade materials drop more frequently in PB.

But really some of the drop rates are just awful. Coupled with the ultra aggravating crystal lizards...that's one thing I think Dark definitely does better than Demon's, although Demon's has better upgrade paths.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I got a question about this.. If I buy 1 year PS+ I can play these games only for 1 year? Or can I keep the games after my PS+ expires ?

Boss Man

Own this on disc but will grab the DL too, why not.

Man, this is going to be a great opportunity to hop back in and troll people... ;)

Unlike Dark Souls, multiplayer is actually functional here.

ironcreed

Banned
Åesop;52392288 said:
I got a question about this.. If I buy 1 year PS+ I can play these games only for 1 year? Or can I keep the games after my PS+ expires ?

They are yours for as long as you are a member.

Boss Man

Åesop;52392288 said:
You always "have" the games you "purchase" (for free), but you can only play them when you are currently subscribed.

So, theoretically you could join PS+, "purchase" Demon's Souls, and drop PS+. If you subscibe to PS+ a year later, you can go back in and download/play Demon's Souls.

As someone who is about half way through Dark Souls, why did they have to do this to me now?

Great to see this on Plus though, not regretting the year subscription I got at all.

Hypron

3. Absolutely not, my shield using stat was so low that I staggered hard and either I fell or the other arrow hit me and I fell, or I died. Either way, unlike the entire game before it, it wasn't a case of me knowing what was ahead. Even after it beat me horribly I went back to try and get a better shield or use a bow etc. Either way I could get past the arrows without getting hit to fail at the top. If something was this hard in Demons's, it would have been because I was careless or my fault for not noticing the easier way. Clearly you're meant to be able to carry a good shield. The rest of Anor Lando and it's boss was cake, including the fake world etc. The balcony area is popular for being hard with no fool proof strategy other than reloading the save from the menu.

Listen, I got past this area countless times, including with a lvl 1 character and you don't need a good shield if you know how to face the right way. It's your fault, not the game's. If I can get past this area on my first try almost every time, there's a problem with how you approach the situation.

Rumour has it that when they tried to shut off Demon's Souls online it didn't work and they got this message:
You died. However, the Nexus traps you. You shall remain in this world as a server, forever.

Haven't played this yet. Dark Souls is one of my favorite games this gen, but is this one just as good? From what I'm reading people like this one better even though it came out earlier?

Necrovex

Pretty pumped that I finally get to play Dark Souls. This is a type of game that never appealed to my taste. So, I was never planning on buying it. Maybe this game will let me appreciate Dark Souls a little more, and place me in the mood to finally sit down and finish it.

Also, all the Berserk talk is making wish Miura would actually finish the manga. :-(

Sullichin

Haven't played this yet. Dark Souls is one of my favorite games this gen, but is this one just as good? From what I'm reading people like this one better even though it came out earlier?

Yes. If Dark Souls is one of your favorite games, I can almost guarantee you'll love Demon's also.

for all of you jumping into Demon's Souls for the first time thanks to US PSN+ Free deal (and haven't played Dark Souls) remember three very basic things:

-don't try fighting the enemies like you would with a standard action/adventure game, i.e. God of War, Devil May Cry, Dante's Inferno, etc. Slow and steady. Patience is such a significant virtue in this game early on. Wait for your enemy to make a mistake/open-up and punish them for it, because you can bet your ass they'll punish you for yours.

-familiarize yourself with your shield. You should have it raised constantly.

-you will die. The sooner you get comfortable with that reality the better. Don't get discouraged, just learn from it and adapt.

Enjoy. :)

I remember endurance was important to upgrade in dark souls, and stats like resistance were not helpful. Are there specific attributes to focus on/ignore while leveling up in Demon's souls too?

sono

The unwashed hordes will be on those Demon servers now.

(I paid full price for my limited edition copy)

for all of you jumping into Demon's Souls for the first time thanks to US PSN+ Free deal (and haven't played Dark Souls) remember three very basic things:

-don't try fighting the enemies like you would with a standard action/adventure game, i.e. God of War, Devil May Cry, Dante's Inferno, etc. Slow and steady. Patience is such a significant virtue in this game early on. Wait for your enemy to make a mistake/open-up and punish them for it, because you can bet your ass they'll punish you for yours.

-familiarize yourself with your shield. You should have it raised constantly.

-you will die. The sooner you get comfortable with that reality the better. Don't get discouraged, just learn from it and adapt.

Enjoy. :)

Also go human whenever you have the chance. Its makes the game interesting for both of us ;)

Izuna

Banned
Listen, I got past this area countless times, including with a lvl 1 character and you don't need a good shield if you know how to face the right way. It's your fault, not the game's. If I can get past this area on my first try almost every time, there's a problem with how you approach the situation.

Alright then. I get you. I feel a bit guilty with how I describe my experiences anyway.

Sullichin

I remember endurance was important to upgrade in dark souls, and stats like resistance were not helpful. Are there specific attributes to focus on/ignore while leveling up in Demon's souls too?

Luck is the resistance equivalent here. It's pretty much useless bar for one weapon (blueblood sword) that scales damage with your luck stat.

Alright then. I get you. I feel a bit guilty with how I describe my experiences anyway.

It might not intuitively make sense, but you don't need a shield at all for this part. You can run up and not get hit by any of the arrows as long as you don't stop, and then roll through an arrow while heading to the knight on the right, and then once he takes out his sword just stand your ground and deal with him with your preferred method.. parry/riposte, combustion, force, kick, etc. I always thought the room with the painting guardians on the rafters was more annoying than the archers.

Mxrz

I'm waiting in 3-2 right now.

Pure white sucks for drops, if I remember right. I snagged my pure-blade stone by farming a pure dark world 4-2 by porting to the Old Hero stone and running back to the ledge where the black phantom skeletons spawn, and sneaking up on the black-skeleton with soulsuck. Its pretty fast when you get the hang of it.

How is this game superior to Dark Souls again? I liked Dark Souls (never beat it though), but I keep hearing that this is superior.

Well, its subjective. In my opinion Demon's Souls is a lot more polished than Dark Souls, and the hub-based levels allowed for a bit more creativity. The atmosphere is also much heavier, and leans more to the horror-side than Dark Souls. I give it the edge in the bosses too, since a couple bosses in Dark just felt like retread of a Demon's Boss, and there's nothing on par with the Dragon God or the Old Monk either.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh jeez, now I'm tempted to sub to PS+. I sold Demon's Souls a while back but I still have an unfinished save (I'm only like 3-4 hours into the game).

Eusis

Saves are compatible with the disc version, right?
Speaking as someone who got the digital version anyway because FUCK YEAH DEMON'S SOULS: Yes, they do work.

And even if the servers were taken down this is a great game just for the single player stuff. If it weren't people would really be hating on spirit form rather than treating it as a nice way to not deal with other players.

Top Bottom