• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best game of this game for free? Sounds like a great deal!

Also agree with every post saying that DS is better than DkS. It's not even a contest.

How hard is this game really? I hate hard games but this game seems awesome. I suck more at the fast reflex kind of hard (shooters, NES platformers like mega man and ninja gaiden) but really want to play this.

How hard is this game really? I hate hard games but this game seems awesome. I suck more at the fast reflex kind of hard (shooters, NES platformers like mega man and ninja gaiden) but really want to play this.

It's tough, but there's a lot of exploitable stuff you can do to make the game way easier, and a lot of the game's difficulty comes from not knowing what to do in certain situations (so once you understand how to deal with most of the game's harder parts, it becomes just a moderately hard game, as opposed to a faster-paced action game like Devil May Cry where maybe half the difficulty is in execution).

Eusis

This will probably be relatively manageable, though I tend to do alright in MegaMan. It's more slower paced and about being careful, and in the case of Demon's Souls it's easier to cheese many of the bosses than in Dark Souls.

Sorral

The fact that there are PS3 owners out there who haven't played Demon's Souls yet depresses me.

There is so many of them geez D:

And so many people recommend playing the whole game in phantom form....come on now! Play through it in body form, most of it at least. Killing invaders makes it really satisfying and feels amazing every time. You get to learn to pvp faster as well.

It is basically what I did in all my play throughs and met some interesting people as well unless I wanted to grind/farm without being bothered. Can always do offline mode if you really want to be alone though.

I should admit that I am not accounting for gankers who go around looking for low level people to invade. Your mileage may vary. >_>

KiNeSiS

Banned
Guys don't believe the maiden in blacks lies eliminate her as well as that rude blacksmith. Especially eliminate the 2 christian prudes.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Only the tower of lavatria & the valley of defilement are hard. Just grind you'll have fun.

Booshka

All you invaders get your Scraping Spears ready, time to troll some new players and make them quit. hehe

Awesome they are doing this, hopefully there will be a decent jump in the population.

Awwwww man :(
Why did i go looking to see what the actress for demon souls Maiden in black looked like.. too much of Demon Souls and Dark Souls borrows generously from Berserk.. Has there ever been an official statement on this? I did get a kick out of playing in Gatsu's outfit in dragon's dogma..a tie in would have been more at home in souls..

Awwwww man :(
Why did i go looking to see what the actress for demon souls Maiden in black looked like.. too much of Demon Souls and Dark Souls borrows generously from Berserk.. Has there ever been an official statement on this? I did get a kick out of playing in Gatsu's outfit in dragon's dogma..a tie in would have been more at home in souls..

1265067625425.jpg

Demons souls definitely did. Its one of the reason I prefer Demon's souls atmosphere over Darks. Its much more dark and oppressing.

This game does not rely in reflexes (maybe dodging). The difficulty of this game is being able to know when to hit an enemy, when to block and stamina management.

It's tough, but there's a lot of exploitable stuff you can do to make the game way easier, and a lot of the game's difficulty comes from not knowing what to do in certain situations (so once you understand how to deal with most of the game's harder parts, it becomes just a moderately hard game, as opposed to a faster-paced action game like Devil May Cry where maybe half the difficulty is in execution).

This will probably be relatively manageable, though I tend to do alright in MegaMan. It's more slower paced and about being careful, and in the case of Demon's Souls it's easier to cheese many of the bosses than in Dark Souls.

Only the tower of lavatria & the valley of defilement are hard. Just grind you'll have fun.

OK sounds awesome then! If you can grind or learn tactics that aren't reflex based (like chess, or a strategy game) I'll probably stick it through. I'll be frustrated I'm sure but the game and its stylings seem right up my ally.

I already own the game but this is awesome. Let the trolling commence.

Also, it's a dark souls video but I never miss a chance to post it so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4
HAAAAAAAAAAAA! i laughed for real tho!

1265067625425.jpg

Demons souls definitely did. Its one of the reason I prefer Demon's souls atmosphere over Darks. Its much more dark and oppressing.
Yeah, From should just make a Berserk game!

RedSwirl

Protip: Don't play the levels in numbered order. You can access all five worlds after beating the boss of world 1-1. In my opinion it's most advisable that you move on to 2-1, then 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, and THEN rotate back to 1-2. I think that's the most linear curve in terms of difficulty.

It's perfectly manageable if you actually use your fucking brain. In my opinion it's about equivalent to a lot of PS2-era RPGs. It just isn't loaded with anti-frustration design like so many of today's games is all.

The only two parts I found seriously tough were the Flamelurker, Gargoyle, and Old Hero bosses -- basically the second bosses of some of the areas.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
1265067625425.jpg

This game does not rely in reflexes (maybe dodging). The difficulty of this game is being able to know when to hit an enemy, when to block and stamina management.

Most of those things are based on RL things/works of art.

RB6RoDT.jpg

RedSwirl

1265067625425.jpg

I think one guy did admit it, but a lot of the stuff in that image is fairly common.

That iron maiden is a common iron maiden design. The depiction of legion I also think is fairly common. It at least shows up in almost every Castlevania game. Salamanders being associated with fire is also a common myth. The only things I can really give you are the sword and the fetus.

I think one guy did admit it, but a lot of the stuff in that image is fairly common.

That iron maiden is a common iron maiden design. The depiction of legion I also think is fairly common. It at least shows up in almost every Castlevania game. Salamanders being associated with fire is also a common myth. The only things I can really give you are the sword and the fetus.
If they were all spread through 4 different games sure. this is one game though (the salamanders thing isn't about fire by the way, the fire salamanders being shown throws it off.)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
except that work of ar(torture) doesn't resemble either as much as both resemble each other. Its simply a which came first situation when its THAT obvious.

Try this one then.

VWlfRzb.jpg

'
I'm sure From was heavily inspired by Berserk given how big Berserk is in Japan, but it's kind of hard to be that mad since Berserk itself and a lot of medieval fantasy in general has a lot of things that are pretty heavily inspired by centuries-old art and things.

M.D

OH MY GOD YES

I've put so many hours into Dark Souls, and always wanted to play Demon's Souls but for whatever reason never bought it

I was actually going to buy the Dark Souls DLC soon, but I guess I'll play this first now

Try this one then.

VWlfRzb.jpg

'
I'm sure From was heavily inspired by Berzerk given how big Berzerk is in Japan, but it's kind of hard to be that mad since Berzerk itself has a lot of things that are pretty heavily inspired by centuries-old art and things.
closer, but still, i can see one source seeing that and touching it up, and the other ripping it off wholesale :p

I ain't mad Berserk doesn't hold patents for its aesthetic, just a bit bummed to see so much influnce, yet so little props given.

EDIT: I didn't see your edit about "hard to be mad" until AFTER I posted, ha ha, thats eerie!

Eusis

The game doesn't look fun, I'll pass.
Many people thought the same when they were showing it off for the first time. They were all wrong.

But seriously, if you're already on Plus you may as well just try it, not unless you're that hard up on space or bandwidth is awful for you, and even then it's not like it's a 10 GB game or a 40 GB behemoth.

Lucent

HAAAAAAAAAAAA! i laughed for real tho!

Yeah, From should just make a Berserk game!

lol the "What ring you got" part made me laugh. And the YOLO gifs with the MLG logo on his chest and stuff. These videos are horrible but I died laughing because this is how some people are.

water1111

Banned
Many people thought the same when they were showing it off for the first time. They were all wrong.

But seriously, if you're already on Plus you may as well just try it, not unless you're that hard up on space or bandwidth is awful for you, and even then it's not like it's a 10 GB game or a 40 GB behemoth.

I don't know, a community that's made out of assholes? sounds like troll: the game. plus I don't want a crap clogging up my trophy lists.

mxgt

Banned
Anyone who hasn't played it should give it a try, it's better than Dark Souls imo.

Although the bosses are easier, the world is superior.
except 5-2. Fuck that noise

Endesu

I don't know, a community that's made out of assholes? sounds like troll: the game. plus I don't want a crap clogging up my trophy lists.

They're not all assholes. If it bothers you that much, you can play the game offline and not have to worry about other players barging in on your session... as it is, they can only invade if you're in 'body' form. If you're in 'soul' form (as a result of dying), you don't have to worry about that at all. Invaders aren't really that big of an issue. You can also summon other players to assist you if necessary.

The game is hardly a 'crap'. Don't be so quick to judge a game when you haven't played it yet!

Eusis

You're overestimating it, plus as noted you can just stay in spirit form.

And fuck, either this is an argument against trophies/achievements, or at least an argument for the ability to hide games you don't want shared. I really don't get why no one has done that though, I guess people need to raise a privacy stink over it.

Its an online community? If anything they just cut right to the chase.

Anyway it is all optional. I would recommend trying it out though. When you are struggling to survive and all of a sudden some bastard invades and you are facing almost certain death? It is a pretty special gaming moment.

Demon Souls or Demons souls or Demon's souls or whatever the heck it actually is, is an amazing game. It is also very brutal. Although a lot of parts are free once you know some tricks or ways to exploit the bosses, other parts, such as getting through 4-2 or 5-1 will really test you out. Even as somebody who has beaten the game multiple times, I still get messed up in some areas (this never happens in Dark Souls).

However the reward is so much better because of it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
PS+ is ridiculous... I really hope PS4 follows suite and doesn't try to emulate the 'success' of XBLG.

Sullichin

Is it true you can plat Demon Souls in 10 hours?
Perhaps if you're very good at the game, play in a very specific way, use the duping glitch, and get extraordinarily lucky with a certain drop or have someone give it to you. Doesn't sound fun or feasible to me. It's something I chipped away at because I was compelled to go through the game multiple times.

Anyone who hasn't played it should give it a try, it's better than Dark Souls imo.

Although the bosses are easier, the world is superior.
except 5-2. Fuck that noise
I totally understand the arguments for why people think Demon's is better. Although I would always disagree that one is far better than the other. Which is fine, I'm content with them both being my favorite games this gen

Anyway, how is the Soul Calibur PSP game?

Sorc3r3r

One of the best game on the system, maybe the best one.
Walking with the shield raised, looking for deadly enemies in the total black of a swamp,hearing all sort of creepy sounds, then around a high tower with no protection on the abyss on the side,fearing inch by inch to be killed, losing all of your souls,no game has me thrilled so much.

Enjoy the fear newcomers, trust your shield, trust your sword, do not give up, ever.

And Demon Soul>>>> Dark Soul.

A ps4 Demon Soul's that would really be a love letter from Sony to the hardcore gamers not another
killzone whatever.

While Demon's Souls is a very good game, I can't help but feel that the EU PS+ selection is better this month, by virtue of not relying on a game that's been out for ages and already has a sequel with a second sequel in development.

(And also the EU+ selection for Vita makes a mockery of the US selection)

Tiops

Best PS3 game with Dark Souls. I can't decide which I like more.

PS3 owners that still dont have this game should be ashamed.

Izuna

Banned
1. Chests are not a guaranteed 1HKO, they do a lot of damage, sure, but if you have enough health/hammer the triggers hard enough they'll let you go. I'm not exactly sure why it's such a problem anyway, you get eaten once and then you are aware that chests exist and you don't get eaten anymore.

2. Seath the scaleless? He is only resistant to magic attacks, he's weak to lightning, fire and bleeding and other weapons do normal damage... The only way to not have any tool to beat him is to play a pure mage with absolutely no other weapon. And every other enemy in this area is resistant to magic attacks, so it's not like there weren't any hints as to what he was going to be resistant to.

3. You were facing the wrong way if blocking arrows killed you. The physics behind blocking is a bit fucked up in this game (you'll get knocked away from where you were facing, not from where you got hit).

1. I know they don't OHKO you if you were high in Vitality, but I didn't put any points into it. I'm fine with things OHKOing IF they have some sort of clear warning. Demons's Souls was special because it does. I don't mind dying, it's just not the same. And if it's "my fault" for not levelling up the right thing, then there's another big difference. The only thing that made SL1 in Demons's Souls hard, regardless if you were melee or magic user, was how little damage you did. Nothing OHKO'd me in the whole game, and that's a good thing.

2. I don't entirely remember, but it was the last thing I did before giving up. I was pretty much maxed out for Pyromancy and had this weapon, not sure which element, but dexterity based that pretty much killed anything leading up to it in like 4 fast hits. I understand I'm unlucky, as I found when I went online, but I throw it up in the air to say either Dark Souls has a different focus, or that was a silly design choice. The prior enemies did nor have the same damage nullifying BS the boss had. I wasn't even sure if it was optional or not.

3. Absolutely not, my shield using stat was so low that I staggered hard and either I fell or the other arrow hit me and I fell, or I died. Either way, unlike the entire game before it, it wasn't a case of me knowing what was ahead. Even after it beat me horribly I went back to try and get a better shield or use a bow etc. Either way I could get past the arrows without getting hit to fail at the top. If something was this hard in Demons's, it would have been because I was careless or my fault for not noticing the easier way. Clearly you're meant to be able to carry a good shield. The rest of Anor Lando and it's boss was cake, including the fake world etc. The balcony area is popular for being hard with no fool proof strategy other than reloading the save from the menu.

The best way I can explain how different the game felt is probably that Dark Souls is a death obstacle course. It felt like the game expected you to use a guide or talk with others.

Try not to take the above differences the wrong way. Dark Souls is not a bad game. It just isn't as simple as ones "better" than the other.

One of my favourite games of this generation. I platinummed the euro version, each region has its own trophy set and I can get this off my US subscription, but I'm not sure of platinumming this game twice. :p

Drek

While Demon's Souls is a very good game, I can't help but feel that the EU PS+ selection is better this month, by virtue of not relying on a game that's been out for ages and already has a sequel with a second sequel in development.

(And also the EU+ selection for Vita makes a mockery of the US selection)

Its not like the U.S. PS+ selection for Vita has been bad though. The EU one is just stupid good, dropping bombs every month.

Top Bottom