• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF you mislead me!! The Order!!

Chozo_Lord

The graphics were amazing but the gameplay was pretty boring. I'm glad I only rented it for $3. It felt like a tech demo game that should've been out at the PS4's release.

I never understood people who thought the story was interesting, the character's had absolutely no character development. It essentially boiled down to 'we are some guys on a mission .... and now here's a twist'

bathsalts

There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

lmao this has made my day.
The lines of sarcasm around here are blurrier everyday, well done.

The game was pretty and fun at times but incredibly shallow. OP sounds like he got it on a discount you have to remember people that were a little harsher on it day 1 probably paid full price for it, which can skew your perspective of a game. For $15-20 Order would be a fun ride, but not $60.

I rented the game and i thought it was pretty great for it's short journey.

But

DEM GRAPHICS DOE!!!

Spend mad time just looking at shit.

kyser73

Beautiful with gameplay out of the ark. It reminded me of the quote from Ferris about Cameron's home

'It's very beautiful, very cold & you can't touch anything.'

Just huge amounts of wasted potential. Deserves to get a stab at a sequel though.

I wouldn't say you were mislead OP. I mean I love coming here and getting a general opinion about certain games and try and get a feel for them but never fully base my opinion on them. For example I can't stand Halo. Never could just couldn't get into it. I mean we all prefer certain types of games and maybe The Order is just your thing its all good. I havN't tried it personally i would like to when it gets cheaper but I have so much to play now. We all have our certain game types we really love and we really hate.

DOWN

Banned
It's an awesome game that tried a structure people didn't attach to. A mix of light Beyond: Two Souls and a lot of Gears of War. I think it was great and wish a sequel were likely.

I also love the 21:9 ratio so much and I'm sad people got rowdy about it not being "TV SHAPE" and instead looking like film and Blu-Rays.

kyser73

It's an awesome game that tried a structure people didn't attach to. A mix of light Beyond: Two Souls and a lot of Gears of War. I think it was great and wish a sequel were likely.

I also love the 21:9 ratio so much and I'm sad people got rowdy about it not being "TV SHAPE" and instead looking like film and Blu-Rays.

Agreed. The least legitimate criticisms of the game IMO.

You should thank us all for lowering your expectations so much that The Order actually became a pleasant surprise.

Cuz that took work.

webkatt

It feels like a rushed launch title.

Slim on content and padded as hell to make it seem longer,

Those "boss" battle though...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
We didn't technically mislead you. We just set your expectations so low that you're now very easily impressed. You're welcome.

You mean 2.40:1

DOWN

Banned
You mean 2.40:1

You mean 2.39:1

B-lQ7LwVIAIqwoP.jpg

they are all colloquially interchangeable with 21:9 being common to consumer media and 2.35/2.39/2.40 all actually referring to the correct standard of 2.39:1 so if you want to get into it I mean 2.39:1

wolfhowwl

Banned
There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

Agreed.

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. How is that good?

Agreed.

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. How is that good?

The fact that it gets so much hate is a testament to the artistic nature of this product. It's fresh and provocative and has the attention of people and is able to drive much discourse where people have plenty of interesting and varied perspectives on the matter. It's further proof of excellence in my opinion. My only regret is that people do not realize they are also apart of the performance piece hence fail to judge themselves as part of the work. I would never give myself a 4/10... I love myself too much to be that derisive to me as a work of art and I respect all the people who helped move me forward in live to where I am today. I honestly believe that instead of such nihilistic perspective on the product but taking a more holistic perspective would allow people to see themselves in this product and perhaps yield much different opinions ad assessments.

Ultimately art speaks to each differently but we have to be willing to listing and since will as an internal process, I have no choice but to respect everyone's perspective on the product even if I strongly feel otherwise.

The real deal breaker was how bad the story was. If you're gonna do cinematic you better have a good story to tell. It's ironic how bad the story was and how many people actually enjoyed the gameplay; it's the opposite of what everyone expected.
Isn't it nice when the first reply isn't a stupid one liner which gets quoted over and over derailing a thread before it starts?

*cough*
I don't know what it was, but thanks, it's an annoying trend that needs to die. I wish more mods would do that :)

So has the narrative now shifted to the The Order being some underdog masterpiece reviled in its own time?

No.

I was in the same boat, unsure because of reactions to the game.

However I picked it up for $40 and loved it. I just kept wanting to see what happened next. I can understand why folks might dislike it though.

To each their own I s'pose.

Some of you people just can't help yourselves can you?

There were/are countless threads that gave you the opportunity to say why you hates this game but a thread where a fellow gamer has praise for the game, you just lick you lips and post the same stuff over and over again.

It had some big problems but was a very enjoyable ride overall. I didn't ever think about how much was cutscenes or qte events, just took what the game threw at me and the result was very satisfactory.

Really hope it gets a sequel

There were/are countless threads that gave you the opportunity to say why you hates this game but a thread where a fellow gamer has praise for the game, you just lick you lips and post the same stuff over and over again.
Didn't know this was a circle jerk.

Like, the game was decent but it did so much wrong. I wanted so badly for it to be a great game, but it just wasn't. I'm sour about it because I was of the most vocal defenders of the game around here before it came out. It did not deliver on too many accounts to warrant a thread full of praise about it.

Unless the thread was purely dedicated to discussion of the games visual presentation.

AmuroChan

Hey fellow gaffers

Well when the order came out I listened to GAF about how there is no camera control, no multiplayer etc etc

However I saw it today for £25 and was like ok let's give it a go

But GAF you failed to mention the game is really good!!!

It's fast flowing with the gameplay if you like gears of war style game play, the graphics are next to none - looks amazing!!

The first 10 minutes you cant do much but after that it goes all third person shooter style on my ass and moves great!!

Wish this game had sold a lot and not got slammed in to bad sales because it's a fantastic game

There were plenty of Gaffers who did like the game, including myself. The game has flaws unquestionably, but it was fun for what it was. I enjoyed my time with it and would love to see a sequel.

soyun

Neo Member
Many years ago, I followed the recommendations of video game journals. Then, I noticed their double standard and started to follow the recommendations of forum users.

But nowadays it has become fashionable among forum users to be extremely critical. The more critical you are, the cooler you are. Specially if you criticize AAA games and praise indie games, then you are the coolest guy in the world.

Therefore, today I feel that I cannot trust the opinion of forum users. The Order is not a masterpiece, OK, but it doesn't deserve the amount of shit it has received.

antitrop

The scathing reviews are because of how bad the story is. If the game's gonna be cinematic then it needs to have a good story.

Disagree:

IGN:

THE VERDICT

The basic conflict at the heart of The Order: 1886 is that considerations for a cinematic approach are prioritized above the needs of basic gameplay. Its best aspects are its stunning looks, atmosphere, and style – which are truly fantastic – and entertaining fiction. But the shallow, slow, and generic quick-time event-riddled gameplay make it feel like an experience that would've been better served by a non-interactive movie than a game. With no multiplayer, and no reason to revisit the short and stunted single-player campaign once it’s been completed, there just isn’t a lot to it.

Polygon:

The components are all passable and employed with enough variety, but you've seen every single one of The Order: 1886's tricks performed better elsewhere. And you're given such little agency in how you employ those tricks that you're left with the overwhelming feeling that the game is holding you at arm's length.

Gamespot:

All of these gameplay tropes are then shoved together into herky-jerky levels that end just when you think they might gain momentum. The only individual sequence lengthy enough to find a rhythm is a later stealth level, though it's far too simple to inspire wishes for more sneaky sections. What, then, to make of The Order: 1886? It is, at best, perfectly playable, and lovely to look at and listen to. But it is also the face of mediocrity and missed opportunities. A bad game can make a case for itself. A boring one is harder to forgive.

Eurogamer:

If its cinematic pretensions falter, how does The Order play? It's a starchy, staunchly traditional game - as reserved, old-fashioned and steeped in slightly dusty traditions as the knights it portrays. Between the cut-scenes and QTEs that take up a bulk of The Order there's a superficially diverse game, though Ready at Dawn has constructed a Frankenstein of well-worn parts.

Agreed.

The fact that it gets so much hate is a testament to the artistic nature of this product. It's fresh and provocative and has the attention of people and is able to drive much discourse where people have plenty of interesting and varied perspectives on the matter. It's further proof of excellence in my opinion. My only regret is that people do not realize they are also apart of the performance piece hence fail to judge themselves as part of the work. I would never give myself a 4/10... I love myself too much to be that derisive to me as a work of art and I respect all the people who helped move me forward in live to where I am today. I honestly believe that instead of such nihilistic perspective on the product but taking a more holistic perspective would allow people to see themselves in this product and perhaps yield much different opinions ad assessments.

Ultimately art speaks to each differently but we have to be willing to listing and since will as an internal process, I have no choice but to respect everyone's perspective on the product even if I strongly feel otherwise.

Poe's Law in full effect here. Honestly can't tell if parody or not.

erawsd

No one misled you, you just like it more than they did. Personally, I didn't hate it as much as most but I still thought is was a bad game and I would never recommend it to anyone. I finished it because I wanted to get my money's worth but nothing about the gameplay or storytelling compelled me to keep going.

Javin98

Banned
I'm still planning on getting this when I get a PS4. Hopefully, I can get a used copy for a low price. From what I've seen, the gunplay looks pretty good. I love how you can amputate limps and blow someone's head off with certain guns. It also helps that this game is the best looking game on any platform in the market right now. I guess a lot of the negativity comes from the design choices. Unskippable cutscenes sound tedious for a replay.

Was great to me honestly...needed more plot at the end but to be able to complete a game in a couple days in its entirety felt kinda nostalgic and refreshing tbh.

Wish I had thought GAF misled me on it.

It was worth getting from the library, but outside of the graphics and voice acting,, there wasn't anything that wasn't mediocre about it. Well okay, I guess that isn't completely true, some of the guns were pretty creative.

Horrid ending too.

I'm still planning on getting this when I get a PS4. Hopefully, I can get a used copy for a low price. From what I've seen, the gunplay looks pretty good. I love how you can amputate limps and blow someone's head off with certain guns. It also helps that this game is the best looking game on any platform in the market right now. I guess a lot of the negativity comes from the design choices. Unskippable cutscenes sound tedious for a replay.

Well there's no reason for a replay anyway, since the only thing would be collectibles and there's now way to keep track of which ones you didn't get...

I thought it was a great game. And I loved the story as well. Shooting was fun. Granted it did have some meh design points like the puppy fights, but it was a great game.

Everybody has different tastes so no video game analysis will be a perfect fit for everyone. The consensus for The Order is that for most people it is style over substance with an incomplete story. It's great that the OP enjoys the game especially since he/she was able to get it at a discount, but that doesn't change the fact that that opinion is still in the minority.

Javin98

Banned
Well there's no reason for a replay anyway, since the only thing would be collectibles and there's now way to keep track of which ones you didn't get...
I know, but I do replay most of my story driven games on my PS3. Probably because I'm not planning on getting any new games until I get a PS4.

Like almost EVERY thread here on GAF says how wonderful a game it is. How could you have missed that ? There is honestly zero excuse. The game is good, people know it, GAF knows it, everybody knows it. It is just that there are few zealots who thought that it would be the second coming and got disappointed when they found out it is just a game made by humans.

Wow. Good call. "People who disagree with me are fanatics".

I thought the game was boring and at best average. I beat it and sold it and moved on to better games, in my opinion. This makes me a zealot?

Radec

The game have its lows but it has alot of potential to become an amazing series.

Lycan battle are top easy and repetitive.

Gunplay is amazing, so does the sound and visuals.

If we ever got 1887, i hope it'll be their Uncharted 2.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I really enjoyed it. It's not the genre defining masterpiece people hoped it would be, especially coming from a great studio, but I think it was a victim of expectations more than anything.

antitrop

Wish I had thought GAF misled me on it.

It was worth getting from the library, but outside of the graphics and voice acting,, there wasn't anything that wasn't mediocre about it. Well okay, I guess that isn't completely true, some of the guns were pretty creative.

Horrid ending too.

The coolest guns, the Arc Lance and Thermite Rifle, are too easy to use. They are cool to look at a few times, but the Arc Lance fully auto-aims itself from cover, and you can just spray 'n pray the Thermite Rifle (again, from cover) to clear out the entire screen. The sections that allow you to actually use the unique Tesla weapons are very limited, as well.

I found the game to be disappointingly easy, even on "Hard". It needed at least one more difficulty setting. After the appeal of the flashy weapons wears off quickly, I found myself just clearing out the endless waves of generic guys from behind cover at absolutely no risk to myself. The game even gives you far above-average accuracy with blind-fire from cover to allow you to do that, as well. Damn blind-fire sniper, Galahad is, he nails headshots from behind chest high walls without even looking, no problem.

I really enjoyed it. It's not the genre defining masterpiece people hoped it would be, especially coming from a great studio, but I think it was a victim of expectations more than anything.
I had expectations of it being a game about fighting lycans, remember that reveal trailer where they get attacked by lycans crawling up walls and shit? Yeah...

What we got was 2 elder lycan fights that were identical to each other using qte with instructions on the screen and 2 lycan encounters that a few lycans attacked you with the same canned animation over and over. What the fuck?

People just don't appreciate art anymore. I think this post sums it up well:

Agreed.

This man gets it. Everybody complaining about this piece of art that hundreds of people invested years of their lives into should watch this developer interview and lighten up a bit.

Top Bottom