• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutroy

I had a huge grin at this scene!

xUZEiQ3.gif

Grinchy

Banned
I had a huge grin at this scene!

xUZEiQ3.gif

I loved that, too. Though if I wanted to be snarky, I'd point out how strange it was for them to gather up all the Bolton sigils into a pile underneath the last one they took down and then put their own up as if they knew they were filming it at that specific angle.

Nameless

i dont think sansa know this, but yeah, he was the reason she got raped every night

He's the reason she went to KL in the first place. He's the reason she didn't marry Joff. He's the reason she didn't marry Loras. He's the reason she escaped KL(as a fugitive). He's the reason she went to the Boltons, and he's the reason she defeated the Boltons. So yeah, directly or indirectly he's influenced the direction of her life for years now.

zma1013

I loved that, too. Though if I wanted to be snarky, I'd point out how strange it was for them to gather up all the Bolton sigils into a pile underneath the last one they took down and then put their own up as if they knew they were filming it at that specific angle.

That's a pile of shields I think.

Tonky

He's the reason she went to KL in the first place. He's the reason she didn't marry Joff. He's the reason she didn't marry Loras. He's the reason she escaped KL(as a fugitive). He's the reason she went to the Boltons, and he's the reason she defeated the Boltons. So yeah, directly or indirectly he's influenced the direction of her life for years now.
He literally led her back to where she started and indirectly caused the death of her entire family along the way.

Or maybe that was the point? Hmm.

Maybe that's the corner where they're having the bonfire.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I kinda feel like Littlefinger won't betray Sansa or Jon, I just don't see what he has to gain from it.

Einchy

Neither of them know who he really is and what he's done, which is a dangerous place for both of them to be.

Indeed, he has fucked a lot of people over but he doesn't just betray for shits and giggles, he always does it for a reason and I don't see why he would now.

Einchy

He'll betray anyone who gets in the way of his plans and schemes.

But how would Sansa or Jon get in his way of becoming king? Neither Jon or Sansa want to be king and they're both enemies of the Crown, so I just don't see why he would have a reason to betray either of them.

Curufinwe

Cast of Kings has always had a more negative bent, which is fine, but when you start to yadda yadda passed most of the episodes, ignoring bits that might color certain complaints differently to spend chunks of the podcast nitpicking it doesn't make for a good listen. Joanna constantly resorting to snarky reductive cracks at D&D every time there's something she doesn't like has been particularly disappointing. I like her, but she's been coming off as the typical butt-hurt book reader most of the season.

Sounds like you should switch to Game of Owns.

Einchy

Cast of Kings this season:

David Chen: So Joanna Robinson, what did you think of this episode?

Joanna: Ahhhhh...*laugh at how bad the episode was*...WELLLLLL

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Indeed, he has fucked a lot of people over but he doesn't just betray for shits and giggles, he always does it for a reason and I don't see why he would now.
Well with Jon, who knows, is he a threat to little finger or can he help him. With the rumored connection between Jon and Dany, and little finger potentially knowing about it, Jon may be a powerful connection.

this_guy

Sansa didn't know the Knights of the Vale were coming for sure. She especially didn't know the exact time when they would arrive. She requested help and sent a raven but it was never shown that help was granted. The Vale riding in like Gandalf was predictable for the audience but not to the people on the battlefield.

Can someone who is claiming Sansa was scheming and didn't care about Jon Snow tell me exactly how she planned the exact timing for the Vale to ride in? Before she and Jon marched on Winterfell she even tells him they needed more men, but Jon says "we fight with the army we have".

Honestly Sansa probably just didn't tell Jon because she doesn't know how much she can, or should, trust Little Finger. So she probably doesn't know how much her brother, and army, should trust him either. There wasn't much room to gamble in this scenario, so she ultimately took it into her own hands.

I think it was much more an emotional decision on her part than anything calculative.

I think its a case of her knowing but not telling Jon too, because
in the preview there is a scene of Jon saying to Sansa "We have to trust each other" or something to that effect, maybe implying that Jon finds out Sansa knew of the Vale soldiers ahead of time and didn't tell him

Great episode. Did anyone else get pissed off with the tactics used. That enranges cavalry charge met by another cavalry charge then Ramsay firing on his own men. Then jons army just standing there letting themselves get surrounded by the Spartans.

I honestly thought they Jon was going to be buried alive and everyone killed at one point then the red woman finding him.

Cant be mad at Rickon. Poor kid was destined to die as soon as the Umbers brought him over to Ramsay. I was actually expecting one of those burning flayed men during the battle to be Rickons body.

Yeah. I just wish it happened in a less corny way.

That whole battle was super corny.

Szeth

I also kind of gave up on Cast of Kings this season. Cast of Thrones has been pretty great throughout though. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something else.

To me, the starks seem like the strongest house right now. I mean, no house is really in a strong position in westeros (let's leave Dany out of it), but the Starks seem like the only house on the rise. Littlefinger would be dumb not to side with the Starks, since they clearly hold the upper hand right now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
To me, the starks seem like the strongest house right now. I mean, no house is really in a strong position in westeros (let's leave Dany out of it), but the Starks seem like the only house on the rise. Littlefinger would be dumb not to side with the Starks, since they clearly hold the upper hand right now.

"The Starks".

In most people's mind in Westeros, the Starks is only Sansa right now. People think Arya and Bran are dead and Jon is a bastard.

I definitely wouldn't count that as a strong house.

If Arya & Bran are able to rejoin Winterfell(kinda doubt it about Bran) and Jon somehow get legitimized as a Stark(again, kinda doubt it), a bit like Ramsay, then, sure... but if that were to happen, I'm not sure Littlefinger would be happy, as that would hurt his chances on becoming Warden of the North....thus...betrayal time!

Brashnir

Not to sound like a dick but I don't understand what you mean.

The Crown (Tommen and his council) are losing influence in several of the seven kingdoms. They're still strong in the Stormlands (Baratheon), Westlands (Lannister) and to some degree the Reach (Tyrell) and Riverlands (Which isn't technically one of the seven kingdoms but is a big chunk of land so whatever- the Freys).

The Iron Islands (Greyjoy) and Dorne (Materll) are basically acting now with no regard to the crown.

Littlefinger has positioned himself as the most influential person in the Vale, and now potentially positioning himself with a great deal of influence in the North. Neither is really paying much attention to the crown at this point, and their relative seclusion means that there's not much folks in King's Landing can do about it.

Elandyll

Banned
Sigh.
Had to pull me back in.

My point is that he is the one who offered to help, and that the situation is obviously different from Ned's (he seemed genuine in his regrets about giving her to Ramsay, and it's hard to imagine in hindsight him wanting that kind of thing to happen to Catelyn's daughter. Someone he might either consider his own daughter-that-never-was, or someone he has grown to love as a proxy for Catelyn. It could be debated forever until we learn what she was thinking in the show (hopefully we will learn more during ep10), but- even- doubting LF it still made 0 sense not telling Jon.

Case in point, I'm far from being alone thinking that.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/sansa-jon-snow-game-of-thrones.html
Ultimately, though, plot developments should work from both a Doylist and a Watsonian perspective, and that's where this twist fails for me. In fact, it's becoming something of a trend this season: From Dorne to Braavos, Game of Thrones has been making the plot tail wag the character dog all year long. It's not just Arya Stark who needs to keep practicing her needle-work: As Thrones enters its final seasons, the stitches are starting to show more than ever.

http://theweek.com/articles/631406/game-thrones-sansa-problem
Here's the thing: These are not compatible scenarios. Either Sansa planned Littlefinger's late arrival — in which case she's responsible for the carnage and for recovering Winterfell, or she didn't and gets no credit for the victory. She just got lucky. I worry — I really do — that Game of Thrones, by eliding the horrific compromises she'd have had to make offscreen to make this work, is awkwardly trying to make her virtuous and a great planner, a feminist powerhouse who might still be a force for good. The Battle of the Bastards made that structurally impossible. I hope they see that. I hope they don't try to make her both.

https://theringer.com/ask-the-maester-battle-of-the-bastards-game-of-thrones-890f9b23894a#.efghg64m9

1. She wasn’t sure they were actually coming. This is the least Game of Thrones-y option. Sansa never received a return raven, so she didn’t want to get Jon’s hopes up or have to explain her complicated relationship with Petyr Baelish.
2. Sansa is making a play, as Littlefinger suggested she do. Until the battle, she had no army, only her sworn sword Brienne, who wasn’t around at the moment. That made her vulnerable. By withholding information about the Vale knights, she weakens Jon’s Wildling power base. And, if her half brother should happen to perish in the fight, joining Rickon Stark in the great big godswood in the sky, so much the better. Consolidating her hold on the North would be that much easier. In the books, Robin Arryn displays an attachment to Sansa that’s best described as a crush. If that carries over to the show, she could leverage Robin’s feelings to push Littlefinger out of the picture.
This analysis is thematically congruent with the show’s overall tenor of scheming, betrayal, and murder most foul. But it also goes against everything we know about Sansa as a character. And it requires her to be absolutely sure that the Vale knights were on the way. There’s a third option that may be the most likely:
3. The show didn’t accurately gauge how Sansa’s secrecy would track in the larger context of the battle. People die on Game of Thrones all the time; maybe the showrunners had become so inured to carnage and were so eager to portray Sansa as an independent figure that the deaths of thousands of nameless Stark loyalists didn’t register as being TOTALLY HER FUCKING FAULT. Like, Sansa really got several thousand dudes killed because she didn’t say “Let’s just chill for 15 minutes, I texted somebody” to Jon.
.... Hopefully we get our answers then (next week).

I think we can all agree that the discussion between Jon and Sansa (hopefully it happens) will be of utmost importance to clear things up.

I think my 2nd favorite scene (Jon vs. Calvary can't be beat) was Jon/Davos telling Tormund about not getting flanked. The look on his face was priceless.

"Good"

Neospartan

Neo Member
I love how I only need to write "10 preview" to get the next episode preview on Youtube.
On the other hand, HBO is making money with 45 second-long trailers. Sneaky.

Regarding Sansa and her attitude towards Jon and her scheming and whatnot:

Does this look like the face of someone that wanted her half-brother and/or his army to be slaughtered?

Maybe she is also playing me, but I wouldn't say that.

Jedi2016

While I enjoyed seeing Ramsey die screaming, I would have liked to see one other thing first: To see fear in his eyes, just once. Would have been nice.

Elandyll

Banned
While I enjoyed seeing Ramsey die screaming, I would have liked to see one other thing first: To see fear in his eyes, just once. Would have been nice.
Closest we got was disbelief and frustration when LF showed up, and a hint of panic when Jon kept blocking his arrows point blank.

Looks like the only thing he ever was afraid of was his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom