• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
This is what I would do then. credit -> GS gift card -> Amazon gift card -> bullet proof

If you wanted to potentially get a console, wouldn't it be smarter to just save the trade credit card so that you can avoid tax when you purchase the console?

PSA for anyone in the Bay Area : Don’t trade or buy at Emeryville GameStop. The manager Luong there is super anal and clearly won’t let certain games be bought or traded. Apparently DMs in the area are aware of flipping so no idea what other stores are doing this but steer clear of that one.

Quick update. I’m sure he had a say in this because I can’t access my trade credit. I emailed GS about it and I’m getting ahold of the DM becuse most of the trades I made yesterday to get the credit I did we’re my own games.

452 dollars in GS. are gone from my card and I’m not happy.

I'll know in 30 minutes when a co-worker and I go do a few more GS runs. He has a GS gift card now so he'll try it before I move all my credit to GS gift cards.

You should move it to GCs anyway. Gift cards are pretty safe but still vulnerable in case of the company going into administration (or whatever the US equivalent is).

I've thought about boomeranging/flipping games this whole weekend, but can't really work up the motivation to visit multiple stores to amass the necessary arsenal (either via B2G1 or Best Buy + Walmart). I'm guess I'm okay with the $350 dump of my existing games that I made on Friday.

The PUR coupon applies to the most expensive game, so it only really works if you're buying games with significantly differing prices. So you could use your $25 coupon when buying a $50 game and two $25 games, for example, to pay $50 total (effectively 3 $25 games with B2G1).
Well if you already have $350 in credit you have enough to buy 9 3ds games them boomerang them and you will effectively have an extra $150 in credit

cordy

Banned
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch = Trade Value $38.25
Binding of Issac + Switch = Trade Value $42.50

Are on sale at Best Buy for $23.99 each. They make great flippers, this is assuming you are maximizing the 6+ trades at once and have PRU and GCU, of course.

Reposting for the new page. Here are the best GameStop In-Store Flips. Buy at least 6 of them pre-owned, all these fetch a better trade-in than what you can buy pre-owned from GameStop itself.

Assuming you have the PowerUp Rewards Card:

All the 3DS games on this list will give you $42.50 in Trade-In Value (as long as you have SIX). Each of these games cost ~$35 when you purchase them, AND you get the third one free. If you can purchase more than six, like 9 or 12, you are getting a third and fourth free game and will boost your trade-ins. These are being flipped around so much that they are likely in stock at your GameStop. Check their store www.gamestop.com on the website and then click "Hold @ Store" to really save time, let them gather the games for you!

Here are the best 3DS flippers:

KUKthCJ.png

LY4H8B8.png

Best WiiU

OOKngro.png

Best Switch

OcCNGtR.png

Look for these, they're ranked in order.
Remember: you need to have SIX games to get the highest 70% trade in value. You can look for six of these games listed, or just use some of your own to get that 6.
Rebumping this for newer people.

I'll know in 30 minutes when a co-worker and I go do a few more GS runs. He has a GS gift card now so he'll try it before I move all my credit to GS gift cards.

the manager had told me it wouldn't scan because the company no longer sells amazon (it was actually Kindle, but still worked for amazon) gift cards. I don't know, I have a hard time believing he was wrong or it's a CA only thing but i wish you luck my friend!

If you wanted to potentially get a console, wouldn't it be smarter to just save the trade credit card so that you can avoid tax when you purchase the console?

I'd just be concerned that they will pull the credit if they can find a way to justify it.

Edit: It's not likely they would do that and probably illegal but I'd still be concerned.

kewlmyc

This is legit awesome. Traded in bunch of old games and got $430 (also bought Pro account with this), then bought 6 3DS games and ended up with $535 total at a different GameStop.

Who approved this nonsense?

Comet

the manager had told me it wouldn't scan because the company no longer sells amazon (it was actually Kindle, but still worked for amazon) gift cards. I don't know, I have a hard time believing he was wrong or it's a CA only thing but i wish you luck my friend!

This totally makes sense, don't get me wrong. If I were them I'd have done the same. But CAG has people reporting otherwise, so I'm not sure how it could be a regional/district thing only.

Assuming this is the case for me in Texas, what you can do is buying a bunch of brand new high value games, head over to Best Buy, and trade them in (with GCU membership) and you still get a lot of value, but you do lose out on some money. Still... better than nothing I suppose.

Comet

That's good point. I might have to say fuck it and drop out now. So how do I convert to Amazon. Is that through Amazon cash?

Well that's the great debate we're having. As of, what? 2-3 weeks ago, GameStop stopped selling Amazon gift cards in some places. Before you could use trade credit and buy all the cards you wanted but they stopped that from their systems. Now the debate is whether you can buy GS gift cards to buy Amazon ones. Testing it soon...

This totally makes sense, don't get me wrong. If I were them I'd have done the same. But CAG has people reporting otherwise, so I'm not sure how it could be a regional/district thing only.

Assuming this is the case for me in Texas, what you can do is buying a bunch of brand new high value games, head over to Best Buy, and trade them in (with GCU membership) and you still get a lot of value, but you do lose out on some money. Still... better than nothing I suppose.

oh for sure. i would always purchase amazon cards with my trade credit at gamestop. if people are confirming they did it then maybe somehow the cards were still in the system until they ran out? I don't know. they used to list them on the website and don't anymore. they removed a few big stacks at my gamestop after i tried it and they didn't work. i would love to trade my $430 for amazon bux :(

Quonny

oh for sure. i would always purchase amazon cards with my trade credit at gamestop. if people are confirming they did it then maybe somehow the cards were still in the system until they ran out? I don't know. they used to list them on the website and don't anymore. they removed a few big stacks at my gamestop after i tried it and they didn't work. i would love to trade my $430 for amazon bux :(

You can always sell your giftcard on eBay for straight cash.

dugdug

Banned
A guy I follow on Twitter just said a GS employee told him they're ending the 60% deal early. Can anyone else confirm?

Kusagari

I'd just be concerned that they will pull the credit if they can find a way to justify it.

Edit: It's not likely they would do that and probably illegal but I'd still be concerned.

They can't track trade cards, which is why you get the credit put on there and not on your PowerUp card.

That's good point. I might have to say fuck it and drop out now. So how do I convert to Amazon. Is that through Amazon cash?

Comet (above) is going to try converting credit to gift cards and then gift cards to Amazon gift cards.

To be clear, I think it's unlikely they will pull credit balances and I'm no expert anyway BUT if I was in charge and suddenly realised that credit balances had just jumped to x billion with no corresponding assets on the other half of my balance sheet, I'd be working like fuck to see what I could do about driving down the value of that credit.

They can't track trade cards, which is why you get the credit put on there and not on your PowerUp card.

That sounds good in that case and thanks for the correction. They would still be vulnerable in a "chapter 11" situation though (I think that is the correct US phrase). Not at all likely but not impossible either.

You can't use t.c to buy Amazon cards eBay cards gas cards etc. Been this way for a few months now.

You can always sell your giftcard on eBay for straight cash.

eh, i've had nothing but problems with ebay over the years. too many scammers! not hard up for cash or anything so ill just keep the giftcard around and redeem for PSN/XBL/Switch credits whenever i want a digital game. that should cover me for quite a while!

t26

Or just spend the credit at gamestop? Yes there is GCU you are making so much from this deal

The only games my BB has spiderman ps4, need for speed, and need for speed rivals ps4. No gw2 or mordor. Is there any other games to get or do you think id be fine buying 2 of each?

I gotta go back for more lol. Too much good stuff to not get. Both versions of tekken, persona 5, Zelda, Mario kart and then I'll get something like injustice for the 6th

Is the B2G1 still active? I don't see it on the GS website.

It's on the app and I clicked the link, which took me to the site. The B2G1 isn't over and it appears that the 60-70% is still going on too. I think some folks are getting paranoid and confusing random angry managers with GameStop corporate. They aren't pulling either deal before they are supposed to. You might run into some managers unwilling to do the deals, which they have the ability to, but these deals would have died today if they were causing too many problems. We just won't ever see anything like this again.

reKon

Banned
Quick update. I’m sure he had a say in this because I can’t access my trade credit. I emailed GS about it and I’m getting ahold of the DM becuse most of the trades I made yesterday to get the credit I did we’re my own games.

452 dollars in GS. are gone from my card and I’m not happy.

Wtf so your account trade in info is linked with the card?

I was just told yesterday that if you lose your card, you're essentially screwed, unless you have the card account number and pin number written down somewhere...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
A guy I follow on Twitter just said a GS employee told him they're ending the 60% deal early. Can anyone else confirm?

I can confirm you saw this on Twitter. ;)

eh, i've had nothing but problems with ebay over the years. too many scammers! not hard up for cash or anything so ill just keep the giftcard around and redeem for PSN/XBL/Switch credits whenever i want a digital game. that should cover me for quite a while!

There's also websites that buy gift cards. You obviously don't get the full amount for them, but I've used those before.

DR2K

Banned
Yeah you guys better spend that trade credit before GameStop pulls this. They have every legal right to do it l. I can't imagine how much they've lost with these deals.

Any updates from corporate?

Not at work today. :( am heading out to a couple stores for some store supplies. I'll see what's said. Reading some interesting things in the thread now. Wonder if they are ending the 70% early, it's not advertised on the website, only the b2g1 free and the e3 promo.

Wtf so your account trade in info is linked with the card?

I was just told yesterday that if you lose your card, you're essentially screwed, unless you have the card account number and trade card on you....

My credit + PUR is pretty much inaccessible. I have a PUR card that I put credit on and I can’t use it. The amount of shit he gave me yesterday I know he had something to do with it.

Is this worth it even if you don't want credit, but cash?

It would take extra effort. I'm pretty sure I saw people mention that b2g1 works on iPads and iPhones. So do all the normal steps to get credit, then buy iPads and iPhones and flip them on Craigslist or eBay

Not at work today. :( am heading out to a couple stores for some store supplies. I'll see what's said. Reading some interesting things in the thread now. Wonder if they are ending the 70% early, it's not advertised on the website, only the b2g1 free and the e3 promo.

the 60% is still advertised in the trade section of the website

Guys what other games do I look out for for the initial investment....

Spiderman PS4
Need for speed PS4
Need for speed rivals PS4
garden warfare 2 PS4/XB1
shadow of mordor PS4

Am I missing any?

Zen Aku

Yeah you guys better spend that trade credit before GameStop pulls this. They have every legal right to do it l. I can't imagine how much they've lost with these deals.
My God STFU. They can't do shit. They can't take away your trade card or anything. What's going on here isn't illegal in any way at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom