• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf so your account trade in info is linked with the card?

I was just told yesterday that if you lose your card, you're essentially screwed, unless you have the card account number and pin number written down somewhere...

If you have a power up account, you can call customer service to recover a lost trade card. Even if you don't have a account we as the associate can call store support if we have the transaction log and replace your lost card if that ever happens.

Edit: in both situations I described, the associate would have to call customer service actually. They transfer the funds to another tc card.

Just saw the previous page, yeah, I'm sorry was looking on the app, didn't see it on there, regarding the 60% promo.

I never really heard of companies ending promotions early due to loopholes, so not sure why they would suddenly end the 60% when it's supposed to end on 7/9...

but either way I'm gonna jump on this today. If it works I think I'll pick up the HTC Vive with my trade in credit :)

DR2K

Banned
My God STFU. They can't do shit. They can't take away your trade card or anything. What's going on here isn't illegal in any way at all.

Dial it back a bit sweetie. I'm not judging anyone, but they can block trade credit at their own discretion.

Kusagari

GameStop isn't going to end shit.

The only concern is if the weekend bumps tank tomorrow or Wednesday.

That's it. No promotion is ending early.

Zen Aku

Dial it back a bit sweetie. I'm not judging anyone, but they can block trade credit at their own discretion.
They can't. They would be stealing from you if they try that. The best they can do is prevent you from trading more in or from going to a particular store. You're talking out of your ass at best.

Quonny

My God STFU. They can't do shit. They can't take away your trade card or anything. What's going on here isn't illegal in any way at all.

They absolutely can.

I mean, they won't. Like, it would be suicide. The PR would be a disaster and ruin trust with their consumers forever and could actually end their business, but they absolutely can revoke trade credit at any time for any reason.

gamestop can't "pull" your credit. they would have to have you come back into the store and give you back the games you traded in. the legal issue they would face from just cancelling the credit on your trade card would be magnitudes higher than whatever money they've lost from this trade deal

E92 M3

They absolutely can.

I mean, they won't. Like, it would be suicide. The PR would be a disaster and ruin trust with their consumers forever and could actually end their business, but they absolutely can revoke trade credit at any time for any reason.

They can't because the customer handed over a physical item for it. It's like if a dealership took your car away after you paid for it.

Sure, GS technically can do it, but it's not legal and they will have a big financial burden from the lawsuits.

Zen Aku

They absolutely can.

I used to work for GameStop. They can't. PR suicide plus having to give back all the games you traded in. It's not worth it. So it's essentially a "can't"

DR2K

Banned
They absolutely can.

Right.

GameStop isn't a stranger to PR suicide.

All Im saying is to maybe spend it so you can keep your credit tangible. That's it.

nillapuddin

I'm done, spent about $400, have $810 in store credit. Only doing best buy/Walmart -> gamestop loop.

preowned selection in my area is completely scarce, couldn't do the b2g1 flip if I wanted to. I'm still happy with my haul.

Will convert to amazon money for scorpio, I love screwing gamestop, but I hate giving them money.

While I was in store today the clerk was screwing the person in front of me, over charging for games (that I could see from where I stood were cheaper) and not separating transactions to save customer more money (the buyers was a mom and son who were kinda clueless) I made it my mission to save them money. I fucking hate even walking in that place, they just gouge the shit out of people who don't know better.

Darknight

They absolutely can.

Zen Aku is making the case that you should stop spreading BULLSHIT and scaring people here.

Yes we know they could do it BUT that means they would have to return your physical games back as well. They can't just out of the blue void the credit and keep the games, thats theft and illegal.

Walked into a store and remembered the manager from yesterday and immediately left, LMAO. Gonna go to another store to sell for now and then back there to buy only. Then tonight go back and sell.

Is there a limit to how much can go on the PUR card? Im at 700 and if I'm gonna go out again then should I transfer a bulk of it to a gift card?

Velikost

Goddamn there is some grade A cringe surrounding this trade in deal. People out here making YouTube videos on their shitty flips, posting to social media and Reddit for some e-props, and now I see people wondering if their credit will get revoked? lmao.

These sort of flips were possible for years, but after this particular deal a ton of people seem to have a hard-on for getting the word out. Does no one care about doing this in the future? Cause all this does is create more competition in the future, and/or make GameStop more likely to nuke TIVs/promos going forward.

E92 M3

Goddamn there is some grade A cringe surrounding this trade in deal. People out here making YouTube videos on their shitty flips, posting to social media and Reddit for some e-props, and now I see people wondering if their credit will get revoked? lmao.

These sort of flips were possible for years, but after this particular deal a ton of people seem to have a hard-on for getting the word out. Does no one care about doing this in the future? Cause all this does is create more competition in the future, and/or make GameStop more likely to nuke TIVs/promos going forward.

Yeah, but once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't contain it anymore. I'm sure there will be another crazy deal within a year.

bumpkin

Man... I could turn $112 worth of purchases into $306 in credit and my wife's like, "Or, you can not spend any money." She's no fun.

Zen Aku

Right.

GameStop isn't a stranger to PR suicide.

All Im saying is to maybe spend it so you can keep your credit tangible. That's it.
No company is immune to PR suicide. But most company consider their options before doing something that stupid. GameStop is barely staying afloat as it is with Amazon and Best Buy. The last thing they need is more bad PR. All you're doing is scaring people about something that will never happen. And by the off chance it does, some random manager somewhere is going to get yelled at by his district manager.

Zen Aku is making the case that you should stop spreading BULLSHIT and scaring people here.

Yes we know they could do it BUT that means they would have to return your physical games back as well. They can't just out of the blue void the credit and keep the games, thats theft and illegal.

If I may use an example from the UK...when our GS equivalent GAME went tits a few years ago there was a lot of issues with giftcards and credit. I think it got sorted out because they got refinanced but if a company goes into (broadly speaking) bankruptcy proceedings, if you hold credit of gift cards you become an unsecured creditor of the company and unsecured creditors get paid last, if at all.

I'm not suggesting that this is likely to happen to huge company like GS but if you have credit measuring in the thousands of dollars you would be prudent to put it somewhere safer, even if it costs you money to do that. GS is not a bank, your money is not protected in the same way.

xclk07

Is it worth it for more than 1 person to be doing this at the same time at the same stores? As in, I'm in Chicago and I'd happily drive people around to stores here/in the 'burbs to save on multiples of us all driving our cars. I guess the issue would be finding enough games at a particular location, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom