• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

sora87

I'm worried about Tabletop, Elyse really was one of the best during that campaign and she brought so many good moments to the table. Then again I was worried about ManUps too and now it's kinda my favorite thing they do on the site.

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
I'm still waiting for it to return. Hell, even a throwaway episode of Fiasco just to tide us over would be fantastic; I know that they've mentioned that people don't seem to enjoy Fiasco, but I loved a good majority of them, especially what I've called the 'classics' (Vegas, Western, and the absolutely affable Max Speed).

Hopefully they find a meaningful way to circumvent Pervince not being there, or they're able to get Elise to come in when she's not too too busy with Funhaus.

That's why they call me Max Speed...
I go fast.

ito007

I'm worried about Tabletop, Elyse really was one of the best during that campaign and she brought so many good moments to the table. Then again I was worried about ManUps too and now it's kinda my favorite thing they do on the site.
It sucks that she (probably) wouldn't be there, but I'm confident the show can go on. I actually really enjoyed Brad, Brandon, and Don's session when they were able to really make some moves in the second half.

So has GT made an "official" statement on what's happening with tabletop that I'm missing?

Rockk

It sucks that she (probably) wouldn't be there, but I'm confident the show can go on. I actually really enjoyed Brad, Brandon, and Don's session when they were able to really make some moves in the second half.

So has GT made an "official" statement on what's happening with tabletop that I'm missing?

Ben has said it got got canned/put on hold indefinitely because of the low number of views. And now that they're down Elyse their even more busy then before.

Burt

Ben has said it got got canned/put on hold indefinitely because of the low number of views. And now that they're down Elyse their even more busy then before.

That'd be a shame, because I do think that there's a ton of room for improvement. I mean, I started watching last year at episode 17 or something like that because they only had 17 and beyond uploaded to YouTube, so people like me who only really did the YouTube stuff (at that point) were starting in media res, and it took some patience to really get into the series. I probably would've stopped if I didn't have the luxury of through multiple episodes in a row to better understand things. Eventually I went back and started working through the beginning once I became enough of a fan to start actually going over to their site, and it's definitely a slow start, which is another problem.

Having a clean start with a new season where everyone knows what they're doing and everything gets uploaded to both YT and the site (and if they could keep it on a regular schedule by filming in large chunks and releasing it piece by piece) would go a long way towards helping the views. If nothing else, Fiasco one-offs deserve a spot on the site.

Recently in a stream they Brandon mentioned some big meeting about it and other things is happening too and that it could return Feb

eFKac

Could someone point me to more "yelling out opinions"?
I remember there were some before I've seen but don't know where to find them. Probably some ManUps episodes but no idea which ones. Would be greatly appriciated!

Drencrom

Amazing episode, Mandatory Update is the trainwreck that keeps on giving! Freaks, all of ya!

Huber's bits on OY! were the best. He needs to swear more often.

I don't know why, but it feels strangely rewarding/satisfying to hear the GT crew swear probably because they swear so little (which I appreciate) and when they do you know shit just got real lol

I loved when Kyle apologized to Kotaku and Ian immediately said that with that face he wasn't fooling anyone... that was exactly what i was thinking ahahahah

So good, moments like that always makes me lose it. Poor Kyle just trying to be nice and diplomatic after they lay it on Kotaku,

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
That'd be a shame, because I do think that there's a ton of room for improvement. I mean, I started watching last year at episode 17 or something like that because they only had 17 and beyond uploaded to YouTube, so people like me who only really did the YouTube stuff (at that point) were starting in media res, and it took some patience to really get into the series. I probably would've stopped if I didn't have the luxury of through multiple episodes in a row to better understand things. Eventually I went back and started working through the beginning once I became enough of a fan to start actually going over to their site, and it's definitely a slow start, which is another problem.

Having a clean start with a new season where everyone knows what they're doing and everything gets uploaded to both YT and the site (and if they could keep it on a regular schedule by filming in large chunks and releasing it piece by piece) would go a long way towards helping the views. If nothing else, Fiasco one-offs deserve a spot on the site.

I loved the slow start and I wish it had remained at that pace.

People in the comments ragged on Kyle for staying with the cart outside of that first dungeon but I think that commitment to roleplaying is great and later on it was kind of forgotten.
For example when they spent a whole episode trying to mount those moon birds it was more about seeing how far they could push Ben and the rules than any commitment to character.

DMiz

That's why they call me Max Speed...
I go fast.

<3

Ben is amazing during Fiasco, especially when he gets confused/forgets the setting, ha ha. ("When I come home from work, and I just want to sit in front of the TV -", "It's 1870.", "Oh, WHAT?! Er, when I want to sit in front of the fire...")

Don is also woefully under-represented on Fiasco. Jasper Falcon is one of the best Fiasco characters, hands-down. ("Security! Security! I've got two dizzy dames in my hotel room...")

Burt

People in the comments ragged on Kyle for staying with the cart outside of that first dungeon but I think that commitment to roleplaying is great and later on it was kind of forgotten.
For example when they spent a whole episode trying to mount those moon birds it was more about seeing how far they could push Ben and the rules than any commitment to character.

Oh yeah, I never had any problem with the content itself. I was talking more about the frequency of breaks to get rules stuff straight, which wasn't a problem after the first few eps but I could see turning people off initially.

Stuff like Bosman's 'x3' instead of '+3' super stealth is pretty amazing while it lasts though

The first couple were tough as they were all figuring it out. The mid part was amazing. The highlight of the whole set of events when they reach their first town. Especially the recue attempt.

What I disliked with the end was the crew was more interested in "breaking" the game then working together to over come obstacles and then Ben as DM and Ian as the one player would have to come in and save them.

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
I kind of want Opinion yell to come back for all major controversies in the gaming world.

Also, Ben and Huber talking about Gilmore Girls was so good.

Auctopus

Was watching the Full Playthrough ReMake and the clip of Ben saying "Yeah, you did!" to Marcus is so funny/cringe. Marcus continues to be a douche though.

sora87

Man, I'm with you. I remember watching the first episode and being like this is new and weird, not sure how this is gonna work out, will they even stick with it for a full campaign? It lasted like nearly a year lol. Still remember laughing so hard when they got to the town after that first dungeon and hogger pushed the woman over. Then the whole plan to sneak into that bar or whatever. Kyle jumping out the barrel and getting like a perfect crit or something.

I fucking adored every episode they did. Nice cup of tea, few biscuits, tabletop adventures. The best of times.

When Huber streamed Super Mario Galaxy 2 just before Christmas Ben said a Tabletop Adventure Christmas Special is "definitely" happening.

Something obviously went wrong.

ito007

Shit...
Recently in a stream they Brandon mentioned some big meeting about it and other things is happening too and that it could return Feb
There's a chance!

Well either way, at least they're thinking about it. Thanks for the updates!

SeanTSC

Man, I need more Tabletop more than I need any other GT show. It's easily my favorite of all their work by far. I really hope it doesn't get pushed aside.

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
Man, I'm with you. I remember watching the first episode and being like this is new and weird, not sure how this is gonna work out, will they even stick with it for a full campaign? It lasted like nearly a year lol. Still remember laughing so hard when they got to the town after that first dungeon and hogger pushed the woman over. Then the whole plan to sneak into that bar or whatever. Kyle jumping out the barrel and getting like a perfect crit or something.

I fucking adored every episode they did. Nice cup of tea, few biscuits, tabletop adventures. The best of times.

Murder!

border

Has Mandatory Update been really good? What do you like about its new form?

It's really hard for me to get excited over another 3-4 person GameTrailers chat show that goes for nearly an hour. It feels kinda redundant with Ian already being on GT Time. When I watch Mandatory Update now, I usually just put it on as something to watch while I go to sleep. I haven't made it through more than 30% of of any recent episode, though that's less due to quality issues and more due to me being pretty genuinely tired when I put it on.

UrbanRats

It's really hard for me to get excited over another 3-4 person GameTrailers chat show that goes for nearly an hour. It feels kinda redundant with Ian already being on GT Time. When I watch Mandatory Update now, I usually just put it on as something to watch while I go to sleep. I haven't made it through more than 30% of of any recent episode, though that's less due to quality issues and more due to me being pretty genuinely tired when I put it on.
Form in chaos, describes the new MU.

llehuty

Last Manups was hilarious. I really love how they just jump from tangent to tangent and just go with it. Opinion yell is also amazing.

sora87

I think it differs to other stuff they do in that it's really not structured or necessary about video games, it comes across as them just chillin' and shooting the shit. Plus Ian keeps coming up with really fun segments like the musical guests, blind headlines, jolly cooperation. I also like that it's much longer now.

ilium

I love the new MU format. GT offers enough videogame content, so I really enjoy the more off topic style of the show.

El-Suave

They have one of the new 2016 Game Preview videos up. The first one is about racing and fighting games. I like the casual format. It is much more informative than a prerecorded video would be because the other person can ask questions and give their opinion.

2SeeKU

They have one of the new 2016 Game Preview videos up. The first one is about racing and fighting games. I like the casual format. It is much more informative than a prerecorded video would be because the other person can ask questions and give their opinion.

Agreed, great so far.

I think it differs to other stuff they do in that it's really not structured or necessary about video games, it comes across as them just chillin' and shooting the shit. Plus Ian keeps coming up with really fun segments like the musical guests, blind headlines, jolly cooperation. I also like that it's much longer now.

But that's why I love Gametrailers. They don't have 10 other podcasts or shows filled with off-topic, ranting and people constantly interrupting each other or trying to be "funny" by constantly farting jokes and quips out. They have great, well produced shows that set them apart from the regular try hard YouTube gaming/streaming garbage, like Don's Design Lab, Trailer Score, Huber Hype and Final Bosman. That's why I'll always be against making GT Time longer than one hour or 1:20 max. I take any tight and well moderated 50 minutes episode over an episode that is longer than a movie. I honestly think that a good moderated show makes for better discussions, even if it's due to time constraints. I've said it many times before, but GT Time remains my only gaming podcast, because they manage to stay on topic and that's incredibly valuable to me.

And I loved ManUps for similar reasons. It had a concept that was unique and they really tried to make it work. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the occasional Mandatory Update Nights episode, but even then they tried to stick to the news and topics and sometimes it was even sort of a behind the scenes. It saddened me that they didn't have the time and resources to do proper episodes, as the time went on. The episodes with guest characters were the best. Don as a detective/P.I., Kyle as the director of Sonic Boom, Huber literally crashing the show as "Huber".

I still like the new format, but I wish Ian was able to put more effort into it (as in having more time and resources to produce it). Make it 30 minutes, less chatting, more segments or (musical) guests. Like a proper fake late night show. The sound board is already a step in the right direction, using the prompter and pictures for the news again would be great as well. My dream show would probably be something like the Daily Show, but only getting halfway there would be more than enough. The problem is that no one else would want that.

Oh well. I still love Ian and everything he does at GT.

Yonafunu

But that's why I love Gametrailers. They don't have 10 other podcasts or shows filled with off-topic, ranting and people constantly interrupting each other or trying to be "funny" by constantly farting jokes and quips out. They have great, well produced shows that set them apart from the regular try hard YouTube gaming/streaming garbage, like Don's Design Lab, Trailer Score, Huber Hype and Final Bosman. That's why I'll always be against making GT Time longer than one hour or 1:20 max. I take any tight and well moderated 50 minutes episode over an episode that is longer than a movie. I honestly think that a good moderated show makes for better discussions, even if it's due to time constraints. I've said it many times before, but GT Time remains my only gaming podcast, because they manage to stay on topic and that's incredibly valuable to me.

And I loved ManUps for similar reasons. It had a concept that was unique and they really tried to make it work. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the occasional Mandatory Update Nights episode, but even then they tried to stick to the news and topics and sometimes it was even sort of a behind the scenes. It saddened me that they didn't have the time and resources to do proper episodes, as the time went on. The episodes with guest characters were the best. Don as a detective/P.I., Kyle as the director of Sonic Boom, Huber literally crashing the show as "Huber".

I still like the new format, but I wish Ian was able to put more effort into it (as in having more time and resources to produce it). Make it 30 minutes, less chatting, more segments or (musical) guests. Like a proper fake late night show. The sound board is already a step in the right direction, using the prompter and pictures for the news again would be great as well. My dream show would probably be something like the Daily Show, but only getting halfway there would be more than enough. The problem is that no one else would want that.

Oh well. I still love Ian and everything he does at GT.

I agree with pretty much everything. I fucking love the old MU, now it's become more of chore to get through. It's just an hour of random stuff.

sora87

I agree with pretty much everything. I fucking love the old MU, now it's become more of chore to get through. It's just an hour of random stuff.

That's why I love it so much now! I'd love GT Time to go on half an hour longer too, more tangents, more deeper discussion, not getting cut off because of some time limit when they clearly have more to say.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yonafunu

That's why I love it so much now! I'd love GT Time to go on half an hour longer too, more tangents, more deeper discussion, not getting cut off because of some time limit when they clearly have more to say.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

But that's not what I watch Mandatory Update for, I watch it for the funny bits about the news of the week. This is a completely different show. Actually, it's not even a show right now, this would probably work better as a livestream on Twitch. I mean, there's no discussion anywhere, nobody's making points about anything, they're just saying stuff. There are no tangents, the entire thing is a tangent.

I get that I'm probably sounding overwhelmingly negative right now, so let me clarify that I'm not saying I don't enjoy it. I like the occasional MU Nights, but it's not what I want from the show every single week.

Umibozu

Keeping GT time at an hour didn't make it tight, it just stifled any worthwhile conversations that popped up because it would be shut down for the sake of moving along the podcast to keep it on time.

The mu news bits weren't that funny to me, they relied too much on the delivery. I did enjoy them for what they were but they became too formulaic and predictable after a while.
I enjoy the current mu probably because it feels a lot like a late night show, and as much as I enjoy it I still see ian changing it up from time to time to keep it from getting stale.

But that's not what I watch Mandatory Update for, I watch it for the funny bits about the news of the week. This is a completely different show. Actually, it's not even a show right now, this would probably work better as a livestream on Twitch. I mean, there's no discussion anywhere, nobody's making points about anything, they're just saying stuff. There are no tangents, the entire thing is a tangent.

I get that I'm probably sounding overwhelmingly negative right now, so let me clarify that I'm not saying I don't enjoy it. I like the occasional MU Nights, but it's not what I want from the show every single week.

I get what you're saying completely.

When ManUps first started it was fantastic. Fresh. Something different from anything else on GT.

I don't know if it was the move that really killed off that show we knew and loved at the very beginning or what, but it was heading this way for ages, even before Elyse left.

I think now Ian has full reign we're starting to actually get something different. With Elyse we wouldn't be, she would make a list of things in the news and have an hour long discussion, which could get a little boring (for me anyway). I never particularly like ManUp Nights.

I had major doubts about the show once Elyse left, but Ian has done brilliantly. Incorporating all types of great segments; Jolly Cooperation, Opinion Yell, Blind Headlines, the annoying sound effects box.

Auctopus

Consider it an experimental phase.

MU would be a super strong if the show was turned into a late night chat show with different guests and consistent games (blind headlines).

Until then, I love it. The latest episode was excellent.

ito007

Consider it an experimental phase.

MU would be a super strong if the show was turned into a late night chat show with different guests and consistent games (blind headlines).

Until then, I love it. The latest episode was excellent.
Yeah I would agree with this. More consistency would really help its case. I know breaking things down into formulas sounds boring, but here it is anyways based off an actual late-night show.

Opening jokes --> guest intros with chat --> short musical guest? --> chat with guest that takes most of the show (blind headlines) --> fun segment with guest (jolly cooperation) --> end with musical guest

I have no idea how feasible this is for the crew but it could be something. Obviously, it would also have to rely on having a good variety of segments so that it doesn't get too stale every week with the same games.

For folks wanting to watch the Huber concert on YT, I've uploaded it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJAHUrdkOJc

Also, due to twitch archiving system resulting in older GT streams being lost forever, I've decided to take on the responsibility for uploading all the stuff that GT doesn't upload to their channel, to mine for archival purposes.

Before this I had already uploaded their conference reactions (and all the E3 conferences with audio added in, which the twitch stream didn't have), but now I'm gonna pretty much put up everything.

I will also delete any videos that go up onto their YT channel officially later (sometimes it takes them a day or two), this is only meant for videos that don't make it there. I have videos starting from Nov 7 (some of which are already removed from twitch archive), the first bunch of videos went up today.

I just hope no copyright strike occurs.

Thanks again for these, just watched the Castlevania stream. The reactions to old man Jones screwing up that jump switch was ace and worth it.

Sami+

I LOVE the new ManUps, honestly a lot more than the old format. I like that it's longer, more free form, and only tangentially related to video games. I've been waiting for GT to provide something like that for a while. With GT Time and their other shows there's more than enough game focused content that's tightly moderated and edited.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, Opinion Yell is legit amazing!

Are there any other ones I've missed?

Also, Huber vs. Huber is great. "Gothic greaseball fuck!" is something I will use in life.

Hasney

Ok, Opinion Yell is legit amazing!

Are there any other ones I've missed?

Also, Huber vs. Huber is great. "Gothic greaseball fuck!" is something I will use in life.

I think there's only been one and it's old. Think it might be before they updates their YouTube channel.

980rdH7.gif

It was a SMITE

EDIT: Oh hey, it is on YouTube
https://youtu.be/01Fbxtk3Wr4

Top Bottom