• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

Admodieus

I love how people on here kinda overreact. It's not even been a day and people are threatening or canceling preorders. Give it a few days and see if Nintendo issues a statement. You guys do know that all retailers take returns on hardware if your not satisfied? IGN reported playing Zelda for 20 hours and it saw the issue happen 2-3 times. Maybe it is something they will fix on day one.

If I can't play Zelda reliably what am I paying $400 at launch for?

Cloukyo

Banned
It's their money they're worrying about for joy cons that won't work 100% of the time. I don't see why you are getting upset about it.

I'm not getting upset about it, it's just a comment on how people need to take a step back and not overreact about every little thing. It'll most likely be fixed soon after release, this information is literally a day old.

Are you guys on the payroll? A discussion of actual hardware flaws does not need apologists every other reply.

This was my first post in this thread but ok, no other opinions allowed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Id be a LOT more concerned ifs it happened while in portable mode. But lets not be drama queens here, these are the possible outcomes:

1) Software update fixes the issue completely.
2) You send your console back to a reputable seller such as Amazon for a refund.
3) Its not fixable via software, Nintendo make a hardware tweak, and offer an exchange for affected joycons.

Its funny to watch some people go apocalyptic on something that will be worked out one way or another.

From these solutions only the software update is a "non-issue". Sending your brand new console or parts of it back is a damn annoyance, no matter how much you try to make it sound like it's a fun thing to do.

Hopefully there is a software solution to it.

Id be a LOT more concerned ifs it happened while in portable mode. But lets not be drama queens here, these are the possible outcomes:

2) You send your console back to a reputable seller such as Amazon for a refund.
3) Its not fixable via software, Nintendo make a hardware tweak, and offer an exchange for affected joycons.

Its funny to watch some people go apocalyptic on something that will be worked out one way or another.

I agree... in certain points

But I live in mexico, and thou i'm waiting to see an official announcement by Nintendo, warranty process is really complicated here, all because every Nintendo product is handled by a third party, so, yeah...

I know Nintendo will take ownership if this ends up being a Hardware issue (like any other company would do) but yeah... it bothers me how complicated the process might be for those outside US, Japan and Europe

GlamFM

Banned
BTW, just remembered that these things are also motion controllers.

I can think of a lot of scenarios in a motion game where a controller could end up being covered by your body.

Data Ghost

Regardless of the outcome this is still a hot mess.

Sure it will be fixed one way or the other if it´s really a problem. But it would still be a problem.

A big one.

Its not ideal for Nintendo as this is not something they wanted talked about so close to launch. I wouldn't exactly call it a big hot mess though.

As for the end user, again not a massive issue, simply return the console if its causing you issues and a software update isn't possible.

What I will say though, is that there is NO way Nintendo haven't come across this issue either via testing or the many roadshows etc. No way.

GlamFM

Banned
Its not ideal for Nintendo as this is not something they wanted talked about so close to launch. I wouldn't exactly call it a big hot mess though.

As for the end user, again not a massive issue, simply return the console if its causing you issues and a software update isn't possible.

What I will say though, is that there is NO way Nintendo haven't come across this issue either via testing or the many roadshows etc. No way.

As if RROD never happened.

I think the biggest issue here is Nintendo's lack of communication. Will be upsetting if we have to wait until launch for them to declare they are releasing a patch to fix these issues. We are dropping $299+ for the console, games, accessories and while for some we may be overreacting but this is a concerning issue to me. $299+ is a lot of money for most of us.

Of course it'll be worked out but if it's issue 2 or 3 that's pretty damn bad imo. More people will cancel, more people will simply not buy it...it could be a disaster for them at least in the short term, which could possibly even effect it long term if it isn't something that's fixed before launch.

Whatever. I imagine they'll have something to say today and hopefully they get it fixed and it won't be an issue on March 3rd.

ASIS

Regardless of the outcome this is still a hot mess.

Sure it will be fixed one way or the other if it´s really a problem. But it would still be a problem.

A big one.

It will only be a problem if the joy cons are released in this state and are in the hands of the consumer. The second a random customer reports these irregularities then this will go down in the history of Nintendo, for sure.

How likely is it that this issue won't be fixed come March 3rd? It's anyone's guess. I've seen solid arguments both ways. But years following the games industry taught me this might not be gone by next week.

You don't see people having to send their brand new launch systems in for unreliable controls as a massive issue????

mindsale

Pretending that returning a faulty console is not a big issue is ridiculously. Really.

I really don't understand how some people think that being a discriminating consumer is somehow brand betrayal or nostalgia betrayal.

If companies are beyond reproach, that's how consoles with broken left controllers get released.

Ok, but if you played a Mario game where he only jumped 9 out of 10 times you pressed the jump button, wouldn't that be problematic?

If the Switch is going to be a viable platform, especially one for competitive reasons (Smash, Splatoon, etc.), it needs to make damn sure it sorts out any flakey connection issues.

Missing one out of 10 inputs is unusable.

Twice in 20 hours is more like 1 in 50,000 inputs.

We have absolutely no context for the consistency and frequency with which this is happening on average so I wouldn't try arguing with made-up numbers.

Nintendo really taking inspiration from Apple, huh?
How long before a how-to on how to hold the left Joy-con? Let's hope a firmware can fix it. ):

phanphare

Banned
Pretending that returning (parts of) a faulty console is not a big issue is ridiculously. Really.

it's a big issue for Nintendo, that much is certain

for me as a consumer it would just be annoying. it would be a bummer for sure but I'm not gonna freak out about potentially having to swap out my joy con as a worst case scenario.

Cloukyo

Banned
The second a random customer reports these irregularities then this will go down in the history of Nintendo, for sure.

Dunno about that, aside from the very famous RROD, not many big faults have been remembered, even though almost every console has been released with one (blue light of death for ps4, disc read errors for Xbox One, wiimote safety issues)

Dunno about that, aside from the very famous RROD, not many big faults have been remembered, even though almost every console has been released with one (blue light of death for ps4, disc read errors for Xbox One, wiimote safety issues)

Were there threads about X1 controllers randomly disconnecting or am I making shit up?

ASIS

I hope you are right.

GlamFM

Banned

Non of these were as wide spread as the RROD.

I remember "AntennaGate" being a big deal for Apple.

And exploding Samsung phones of course.

dan2026

You are absolutely mad to buy a console at launch.
Especially this one where so much about it is vague and not well defined.

Cloukyo

Banned
Non of these were as wide spread as the RROD.

I remember "AntennaGate" being a big deal for Apple.

And exploding Samsung phones of course.

Exploding phones will never be forgotten. Curving phones too.

I think phones have it harder because build quality is part of their marketing. But it's almost par for course for a console to have some sort of issue upon release.

Ever since RROD, no-one has really bothered to keep track of console launch problems. PS3 also had £599 Giant Enemy Crab Ridge Racer.

LordRaptor

At the Amazon warehouse you mean?

From wherever, if theres a manufacturing issue it being in a detachable controller is going to be the least minimum effort for a replacement possible, at every stage of the logistical process.

You are assuming the problem is in the controller.

Given it doesn't seem to be particularly widespread and is only affecting specifically joycons and not pro controllers, yeah, I don't think thats an unreasonable assumption.

I think phones have it harder because build quality is part of their marketing. But it's almost par for course for a console to have some sort of issue upon release.

Ever since RROD, no-one has really bothered to keep track of console launch problems. PS3 also had £599 Giant Enemy Crab Ridge Racer.

What does this have to do with the Switch joy con issues?

ASIS

PS3's YLOD was not a common thing though. Consoles break all the time. It's about the rate which it happens. That's the unnerving part of all of this.

GlamFM

Banned

But RROD was so big.

9/10 launch 360 RROD´ed eventually. Really don´t think I´m exaggerating.

It was crazy.

I went through 4!

shandy706

So what if there is no ability to do a software patch to the actual joycons?

That means live with it or wait for a redesign/re-release of the controller hardware. Why would you not go for as strong a signal as possible in the first place? Some houses have their couches 10-15' from the TV. I can change songs on I Heart Radio on the Xbox One from 2 rooms away on a controller. I've not tested my DS4's range.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If you have a grey switch, its literally just a controller swap for a new one at the store, no?

I'm a bit confused tbh... I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, though I do know what the issue is. Does this issue only affect Gray colored Joy-Cons? That doesn't seem like it would make sense, but is that the case?

This is going to be a pain, is it? If one joy-com somehow doesn't work, you have to probably send the whole console back :(

Anyway, I think we shouldn't be hyperbolic, that goes for both direction. It is an issue, and I am sure they are aware of it and checking, if it's hardware or software related.

Zedark

But RROD was so big.

9/10 launch 360 RROD´ed eventually. Really don´t think I´m exaggerating.

It was crazy.

I went through 4!
I believe Microsoft said there was a 54% fail ure rate due to that issue. Funny thing is that my two XBOX360's didn't have the issue, and one malfunctioned with a broken disc reader. Guess I was lucky in that regard.

Top Bottom