• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

I'm a bit confused tbh... I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, though I do know what the issue is. Does this issue only affect Gray colored Joy-Cons? That doesn't seem like it would make sense, but is that the case?

No that doesn't seem to be the case. No one knows except that it's generally reproducible at increased distances and / or obstructions.

Arttemis

Seems like it could be completely fixed via a firmware patch. Boost the voltage to its transceiver at the cost of a smidge of battery life, and the signal should be stronger. Seems like it wasn't designed to be used 10 feet from the switch, but they should definitely implement a system-level option to boost the signal power for those who sit and play games far from their consoles.

GlamFM

Banned
I believe Microsoft said there was a 54% fail ure rate due to that issue. Funny thing is that my two XBOX360's didn't have the issue, and one malfunctioned with a broken disc reader. Guess I was lucky in that regard.

54% among launch units or among all 360s?

Either way - crazy high number.

I believe Microsoft said there was a 54% fail ure rate due to that issue. Funny thing is that my two XBOX360's didn't have the issue, and one malfunctioned with a broken disc reader. Guess I was lucky in that regard.
Wow, two of mine died from the RROD. I figured the percent would have been higher.

LordRaptor

I'm a bit confused tbh... I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, though I do know what the issue is. Does this issue only affect Gray colored Joy-Cons? That doesn't seem like it would make sense, but is that the case?

No, I mean, if you have a grey switch, and you have a busted joycon, at least some shops would just give you a brand new joycon there and then at the returns desk instead of a full RMA, but a neon one replacement wouldnt be the same colour

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
No that doesn't seem to be the case. No one knows except that it's generally reproducible at increased distances and / or obstructions.

Oh, OK. It sucks for sure. How does this get passed QC testing? Everyone there has tiny hands and everyone play testing was very close to their stations?

Fredrik

Whatever is the problem and how severe is it, Nintendo should hve already communicated on it for sure..
That's my main issue right now. Silence is NOT a good idea. I've been looking forward to this console since forever but I'm honestly hovering with my finger over the cancel button right now. :/

Fireblend

Banned

XandBosch

For what its worth I couldn't replicate this at the event at Tanner Warehouse London today, the reps were very cool about letting me try.

Tried it with Arms, 1-2 Switch and Snipper Clips. Couldn't try it with Zelda, MK8 or Splatoon due to the pad set ups.

So yeah not worried at all, however it would be good if this issue is fixed with the day one patch. I sit quite far from my TV and I wouldn't want to have an issue when I'm not using my Pro.

Good on ya - this definitely eases my worries.

shandy706

Oh, OK. It sucks for sure. How does this get passed QC testing? Everyone there has tiny hands and everyone play testing was very close to their stations?

Apparently the fact that US homes (and other countries too) can have entertainment areas/living rooms that are 15-30' across didn't come up either.

I'll be disappointed if this is a huge problem, I want the Switch to do really well.

Nintendo Switch |OT| Ni ten o Sw ch

You win, that's just incredibly good. X-D

I have a feeling this will end up being an overblown issue that will end up not being an issue at all when it actually launches. We'll see.

Of course, people will talk about it for the next year, even if it turns out to not be an issue on released to the public fully patched consoles. Viva la internet!

The Boat

I can't watch the video right now, but I'm pretty sure they're getting this from their asses. If this is because of the hands, how come it doesn't happen to me when I'm playing in tabletop in a different room from where I have the router?

XandBosch

Is it confirmed this is the resolution and not in fact fixable via update?

It's not even confirmed that this will be an issue at all. A guy just posted saying he tried to replicate it at a Switch event today or yesterday and wasn't able to, and the reps there let him try.

Maybe the press just have an early firmware build or something and the demo units are the most up to date? Who knows.

I honestly think this thread will be laughable a couple weeks from now when we're all enjoying our Switches, problem-free.

Could be wrong though, could be a gong-show.

Whatever is the problem and how severe is it, Nintendo should hve already communicated on it for sure..

There is still not even a separate press story about this yet. Only Kotaku mentions it in their preview and even then it doesn't seem to have happened to Totilo.

This may very well need a fix and I'd expect some coverage soon, but GAF is shitting its pants over it about 300x more than anywhere else so far.

KeRaSh

Hopefully this can be fixed via a firmware update. If not I will gladly accept an additional pair of neon Joycons as compensation. :D

My TV is right in front of my couch in my gaming room / office so I'll probably be unaffected even if I want to play it in TV mode.
Sucks for other people, though. It's an issue and Nintendo has to address it.

Fireblend

Banned
I can't watch the video right now, but I'm pretty sure they're getting this from their asses. If this is because of the hands, how come it doesn't happen to me when I'm playing in tabletop in a different room from where I have the router?

Input doesn't travel through wifi, it's bluetooth. And this is a confirmed issue with multiple people. You should probably watch the video before making an ass of yourself.

That's my main issue right now. Silence is NOT a good idea. I've been looking forward to this console since forever but I'm honestly hovering with my finger over the cancel button right now. :/
what could Nintendo really say now that would change your mind? They will probably just say something " we are aware of the issue and are working on a solution". I mean you can cancel when ever you want, but waiting a few more days won't hurt.

mindsale

So at 15-17 feet from the console would I be pretty likely boned? Is that the summary?

I think that's well past the "sweet spot." Get closer and try not to obscure the left JoyCon much.

Some people have reported increased connectivity / signal strength with the Charging Grip, so if he Pro Controller isn't an option you could try that.

Morts

I think that's well past the "sweet spot." Get closer and try not to obscure the left JoyCon much.

Some people have reported increased connectivity / signal strength with the Charging Grip, so if he Pro Controller isn't an option you could try that.

I'm not going to rearrange my living room. I'd probably get a Pro Controller eventually, but I'd like assurances everything works before I drop $300. If Nintendo doesn't respond by the end of the weekend I'll probably have to cancel my pre-order and see how this shakes out.

ViolentP

It's not even confirmed that this will be an issue at all. A guy just posted saying he tried to replicate it at a Switch event today or yesterday and wasn't able to, and the reps there let him try.

Maybe the press just have an early firmware build or something and the demo units are the most up to date? Who knows.

I honestly think this thread will be laughable a couple weeks from now when we're all enjoying our Switches, problem-free.

Could be wrong though, could be a gong-show.

We've heard absolutely nothing. According to the first news result of you google "left joycon" Nintendo is aware of the situation, which is acknowledgment I suppose.

This is my thinking as well. I just wanted to know if the person I quoted had any evidence to back up that claim. Still waiting.

branny

Missing one out of 10 inputs is unusable.

Twice in 20 hours is more like 1 in 50,000 inputs.

We have absolutely no context for the consistency and frequency with which this is happening on average so I wouldn't try arguing with made-up numbers.
Nah, I was trying to put the issue into context for people who don't feel like it's completely unacceptable in the first place. We didn't have to deal with this nonsense when controllers were wired. :(

A single dropped input is enough for me to draw the line. Others may have higher tolerances for faulty hardware (or wireless convenience), but in a competitive situation, it's not going to fly. If someone prefers using Joy-Cons instead of an arcade stick or Pro Controller or whatever, they better work.

I'm not canceling my pre-order because I'm sure Nintendo will address this in some way, but it's scary what some people seem willing to put up with.

Rellik

I'm not going to rearrange my living room. I'd probably get a Pro Controller eventually, but I'd like assurances everything works before I drop $300. If Nintendo doesn't respond by the end of the weekend I'll probably have to cancel my pre-order and see how this shakes out.

I don't blame you. It's bizarre to expect anyone to rearrange their living environment just so they can play a video game without major input lag. This shit should have been tested.

Top Bottom